Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightspeed Explorer Tours - The HIP Hopper

Lightbulb Lightspeed Explorer Tours - The HIP Hopper

After a couple of medium range expeditions and some very amateur astronomical research I hit upon a 'brilliant' idea!

Having seen a few stars with a HIP designation I thought I'd visit them all. The research followed and I found there were over 100,000 (that mission is for another day!) so decided to narrow my search. There is a handy sub section of the HIP catalogue - Double & Multiples with Orbital solutions (DMO) - amounting to a mere 235 entries. What more could you ask for? Exploration and probably hair raising exit from SC at each photo point! After checking a few on GalMap it seemed most were in 'the bubble' (not that surprising when the technique of Orbital Solution discovery is considered). I thought that was another interesting twist and led to my next 'brilliant' idea.

Rather than selfishly visiting all these destinations alone I set up an explorer travel tour agency and bought an Orca (named 'Amen Break') to take along excitable and large walletted sky gazers! After an intensive week long promotion around the various astro clubs, schools, church groups, drinking dens and the like of the space stations orbiting Earth a luxuriously accommodated 303 passengers have signed on the dotted line. We are departing from Galileo Terminal later this evening and will be visiting the catalogue in numerical order (defo not the most efficient) and stopping for space walks at each DMO. Occasional space station visits will be at significant passenger request or as repair requires.

If we all make it back safely I'm getting back into my Asp, and to quote Cpt. Oates, "I am just going outside and may be some time."

(Screen shots, stats and other ephemera to follow - probably)

Happy flying
    CMDR <-lightspeed->
    CMDR <-lightspeed-> Expert | ELITE | ELITE but mostly Buckyball Racer
    ship ID : BRC<->

<-lightspeed-> Explorer Tours
    The HIP Hopper }{ Distant Worlds }{ Colonia/Jaques

Try not to lose too many passengers...

(Obviously, for safety reasons, they'll have to leave those fat wallets on board when they go for space walks...)

A steady start to the voyage last night. 5 HIPs visited and a tad over 400 ly (two were single starts ingame) and a couple of good space walk opportunities.

HIP bound - Leaving Galileo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leaving.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	49819

Basking in the blue light of Alpheratz - HIP 677

Name:	HIP677.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	49820

I like this +1 rep
    check out Wolf 1515 description, maybe a rival or they might have some work for you there

That Orca does make for some nice selfies

Originally Posted by Patau82 View Post (Source)
    I like this +1 rep
    check out Wolf 1515 description, maybe a rival or they might have some work for you there
    Not sure about Wolf 1515 but i did notice this one :

70 Ophiuchi
    The Lightspeed Accommodation hotel chain has its flagship hotel in this system.

I'll have to head over at some point and see if it's long lost Auntie Eva

Originally Posted by Cmdr Raz View Post (Source)
    That Orca does make for some nice selfies
    It sure does. There's a stag party on board and every time we get to a HIP destination they want me to position the ship upright between the two stars - some thing to do with pointing back to SOL apparently. I'm being gradually worn down by their persistence.

Good plan! When I'm out in the deeper parts of the black my pet name for scanning an unclaimed catalogue star is "HIP bagging" - there's still plenty.

At the moment I'm travelling between each of the stars in Centaurus ("Kentaurus", like "Ooranous" ) - there's a lot of them, as they're in under (e.g.) "A Cen", "A Centauri", "Alpha Centauri" (all different star systems) and sometimes duplicates ("E Centauri", "E Centauri") and multiples (which I guess are visual binaries) like "Epsilon-1 Centauri", "Epsilon-2 Centauri."

I can't make out the sense of it as "really" we have "A Cen" and "a cen" and "Alpha Centauri" (all different star systems) but sometimes the game's "A Centauri" will refer to "A Cen" and sometimes to "a cen"... confusing. But I've only visited a couple of dozen so far, maybe there'll be a clearer pattern when I've finished.

In any case: when you're done with the HIPs, you could pick a random constellation and do the same tour that I'm doing for the Centauris.

Do try my Map and check my decoding of UC system names and Constellation Star List (WIP).
    BOSH BOSH BOSH - LOADSAMONEY

Rather than selfishly visiting all these destinations alone I set up an explorer travel tour agency and bought an Orca (named 'Amen Break') to take along excitable and large walletted sky gazers! After an intensive week long promotion around the various astro clubs, schools, church groups, drinking dens and the like of the space stations orbiting Earth a luxuriously accommodated 303 passengers have signed on the dotted line

Did you pick up a bunch of slaves and chuck 'em in the cargo hold? Promise them freedom and instead subject them to a month long series of hops around the Galaxy, bouncing off stars / cooking them in coronae / flinging the smelliest out of the air-lock?

Have you just admitted to being an on-line psychopath?

Oh wait... AND photos. This is Elite: Saw isn't it?

@Jackie Silver good thoughts. I'll have a look at something like that. I find i need some kind of goal. I'm not very good at aimless wandering.

@Traveller_GG No false promises! I thought i'd better put some cargo room for the passengers to stow their pants, telescopes, Lavain brandy etc.. - keeping it real!

HIP 2912 - Pi Andromedae

This is what it's all about, exiting SC between two flaming balls! A Super Giant B and smaller A class, with another A class in the near distance. It got pretty warm pretty quickly, looked awesome though. Worth the 500 odd Ly trip from SOL.

The passengers were all pressed up against the viewing windows and a few even dropped their Centauri Mega Gin slings! Much cheering was heard as I pulled the Amen Break up and rolled around for this view.

Name:	HIP 2912 - Pi Andromedae.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	332.3 KB 
ID:	49910

May I make a suggestion? Albeit it's no direct HIP system, it would make for a worthy target for this liner. System Taurus Dark Region QY-R B4-2. It is only 15,4 light years away from HIP 20097 so it doesn't delay the schedule too much. It is a system sometimes used by flight instructors to test the knowledge about fuel scooping. On very narrow space, one finds four stars, two of which are scoopable:

Please fill permit A38 to enter this system.
    A ship, being an object of love, cannot be weighted in credits.

@Chaodiurn that certainly looks like spectacular sight. It's in the book for a future trip. cheers

En route to HIP 9727 (47 Cassiopeiae) we dropped out into the ICZ FQ-Y b3 system to be confronted by two M class stars. I easily managed to pull out of the gap without any damage and turned the Amen Break around for a better view. The passengers decided it would be in keeping with the spirit of the tour if we repeated the exercise! I lined us up and hit the throttle - light up your Kamitra Cigars passengers!. We spent a happy half hour riding the corona.

Name:	shooting1.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	456.4 KB 
ID:	50092Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shooting2.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	50091Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shooting3.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	50090

Due to a permit over sight we have had to miss HIP 9236 (Alpha Hydri) and are currently docked at HIP 9727 (47 Cassiopeiae) investigating options, fitting better heat management and stocking up on essentials.

Some stats
    HIPs visited - 19
    Distance travelled - 4351 LYs
    So far only HIP 2912 (Pi Andromedae) has stars in close proximity
    8 HIPs are single stars in game

If you're lucky you may be the first to discover some of them. During the Lembava CG some 12 days ago I found an undiscovered HIP only 500 ly from Sol, and it was an interesting one with a pink icy planet (90% made of ice) and a surface temperature of 2200 K.
    "As every student of exploration knows, the prize goes not to the explorer who first sets foot upon the virgin soil but to the one who gets that foot home first. If it is still attached to his leg, this is a bonus."
    "Jingo" by Terry Pratchett

Minor disaster today!

Having had the permit issue with Alpha Hydri I decided to rank up with the Feds and get the required permit. simple enough?

I parked the Amen Break and the star spotters are busy spending their hard earned cash around 47 Cassiopeaiae. I kitted out an Eagle for a few fetching and carrying missions. Well after a couple of stray shots I managed to get myself a 200cr bounty, which in turn led to a few rather annoyed System Security jobsworths shooting the living daylights out of me - three times! (i misunderstood how the dormant bounty system worked).

So i have lost about 2Mcr of exploration data, but happily the Amen Break is tucked up and I am steadily ranking up. only one more to go I think.

In hindsight I should probably have just skipped Alpha Hydri, but as seems pretty common around these parts the OCD/completist traits came to the fore!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast