Thread: Auto field maintenance unit

Auto field maintenance unit

Ok I'm not a noob so there is a sense of shame in asking this but I'm about to go exploring again and my pride can take a backseat.

How do the auto field maintenance units work?

I strapped them on my cobra last time I went exploring - I had a couple of close scrapes with some very hot blue white stars and a few modules took a fair bit of damage, my fuel scoop down in the 60% mark, FSD around 75% etc. I thought the name 'auto' meant they would just kick in and repair the modules but nothing happened.

I ended up getting lots of module malfunctions which made the whole trip very frustrating.

Am I supposed to activate something, press a key (couldn't see a function when I looked)?

Are the AFMUs just broken?

I've also heard of people saying 'just reboot and repair' - what does that mean - reboot what, the ship, the game, my PC.......and repair? How exactly?

I have had a search on the forums and well, there is a tonne of mentions of AFMUs but nothing I could see on how they work.

All answers are gratefully received.

Yours with a deep sense of shame

Right side panel, Modules TAB:

Turn on the AFMU
    Turn off the module you wish to repair
    Repairable modules have three stages: on (solid square inside the brackets), off for repairs (diagonal line inside the brackets) and disabled (empty brackets)

You sir get some rep - thank you!

More questions however - can you repair a module at any state i.e 99% all the way down to 0% or are there cut off points i.e. it wont repair if the module is less than 5% or is more than 80%

How long do the repairs take - is it a gradual process over a period of minutes, hours?

Thanks again.....more shame

The re-boot/repair system was a major change that was implemented when some Commanders complained that, although their vessels were 75% functional, as some modules had been crippled (such as thrusters or the FSD) they had to self destruct and take the insurance hit (and lose any bounties/data accrued) to be able to carry on playing (and they did not have an AFMU). Re-boot/repair basically runs a lightweight diagnostics routine that discovers which modules are non-functional, and then scavenges bits from working modules to get the failed ones back on-line. However, functional equipment takes a 2% hit for each 1% repair. Any modules below 10% will not be scavenged. Still, it should mean you can now get to a repair facility.

Make sure that, if you have to use an AMFU, you drop into normal space first (the same would also apply to a Re-boot/repair), as some equipment will shut down when being repaired, and a forced drop from Super-cruise WILL cause damage!

Give it a try - but in a nutshell you can repair anything below 100% as long as the AFMU has "ammo". In other words you need to save the ammo for critical systems, like scoop, thrusters, and fsd.

You can't repair the canopy...

Also in case you don't already know, don't try to repair your emergency oxygen supply even though it will return it to 100% health. Reason is you only have x amount of min and every second spent on repairs to this module will reduce your oxygen supply and guess what happens when it reaches '0'.... BOOM! Yes explores have blown their own ships up and lost all there scan data weeks/months of time & effort all gone in a fireball of their own making, very sad.
    Cant repair the Power Plant either.

Is there any way to repair the power plant? Obviously you can't turn it off otherwise the AFMU won't work....

Originally Posted by Johnny Kelso View Post (Source)
    Is there any way to repair the power plant? Obviously you can't turn it off otherwise the AFMU won't work....
    Powerplant, Hull, Canopy can only be repaired at stations/outposts with the repair & re-arm service.
    Everything else can be repaired (note, to repair an AFMU you need a second AFMU)

This means exploring is usually limited by powerplant or canopy damage since they are usually the most stressed by heat and emergency stop related accidents.
    AFMU's in exploring are mainly to ensure vial things like the fuel scoop, discovery scanners, FSD, life support and thrusters don't go to 0% before you make it home since these often have less health than the powerplant so take more % damage per accident.

Originally Posted by Alex Brentnall View Post (Source)
    Powerplant, Hull, Canopy can only be repaired at stations/outposts with the repair & re-arm service.
    Everything else can be repaired (note, to repair an AFMU you need a second AFMU)

This means exploring is usually limited by powerplant or canopy damage since they are usually the most stressed by heat and emergency stop related accidents.
    AFMU's in exploring are mainly to ensure vial things like the fuel scoop, discovery scanners, FSD, life support and thrusters don't go to 0% before you make it home since these often have less health than the powerplant so take more % damage per accident.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. So I have to keep an eye on those three +1 rep for you!