Page 11 of 156 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge

Originally Posted by Esvandiary View Post (Source)
    I suspect Drakhyr's advantage is at least partly due to the pre-planned route... I don't recall whether you did the same or if you're just really speedy!
    I was still at Sag A* when Drakhyr beat my first Asp time, so I planned a route on my way back to SOL (wishing I had scanners with every jump), and used it to get my faster time

I manually plotted my T6 run, which is why I think it can be beaten - not so much the faster plots but by finding a route with less jumps.

Utopian mission to Sag A*

Evenin' all

I too declare my intent to make it to Sag A*.

Name's Cmdr *Hawk*, I'm flying an Asp called Marvin, and for no apparent reason I'm carrying several tonnes of Utopian publicity on the off chance someone decides to set up a station at the centre of the galaxy, whilst I'm crawling out there. Spreading the Simguru's message to the neighbouring systems just doesn't seem good enough so I thought I'd have a crack at something a little more challenging - posting our generous invitations into the black hole at the core.

Declaring my intent a little late, as I actually left this morning, but it wasn't until a short while ago that I decided to go through with this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marvin 1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	446.2 KB 
ID:	57650

Name:	Marvin 2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	574.1 KB 
ID:	57651

Currently about half way out but I probably won't make it till late tomorrow night at best. Definitely racing against myself!

Fly safe commanders.

I think at some point (maybe after the Bootlegger Challenge is finished) I might have another jaunt to Sadge - there are a couple of ships further down the list which I think are capable of much better than their current standings
    There definitely are. The Cobra is the one that always stands out to me - it should be capable of a run in about half the current best time.

Originally Posted by mw_aurora View Post (Source)
    Raiko pretty much has it covered on all the good advice and wisdom

Intrigued to compare the average jump times, I trawled through the old thread and found the following for the fast runs: Alot: 47.8 sec, Drakhyr: 45.6 sec, Rusticolus: 45.4 sec

I think there is a good 50-60 minutes you can take off my Hauler time...and I am waiting for Drakhyr to reclaim the T6 record
    Apart from the slightly faster average jump times, Rusticolus also managed a route with three fewer jumps than mine. I suspect this was mainly because I was plotting about 100-150LY above the galactic plane, and came down too late at the end (so did the descent from 150LY up to 0 in only about 300LY along).

As for the T6 record, I'm currently thinking it might be mid-September .

I suspect Drakhyr's advantage is at least partly due to the pre-planned route... I don't recall whether you did the same or if you're just really speedy!
    Pre-planning the route had three aims:
    1. Avoid having to scroll across the galactic map.
    2. Pick a route to avoid having too many unscoopable stars in a row.
    3. Reduce overall number of jumps by plotting slightly short (e.g. plotting 980LY at a time for 27 jumps, rather than 999LY for 28 jumps).
    As mentioned above, the latter obviously wasn't quite successful as Rusticolus' route had three fewer!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by matthewjcornwall View Post (Source)
    Evenin' all

Welcome, and good luck!

Evenin' all

Name's Cmdr *Hawk*, I'm flying an Asp called Marvin, and for no apparent reason I'm carrying several tonnes of Utopian publicity on the off chance someone decides to set up a station at the centre of the galaxy, whilst I'm crawling out there. Spreading the Simguru's message to the neighbouring systems just doesn't seem good enough so I thought I'd have a crack at something a little more challenging - posting our generous invitations into the black hole at the core.

Declaring my intent a little late, as I actually left this morning, but it wasn't until a short while ago that I decided to go through with this.

Name:	Marvin 1.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	446.2 KB 
ID:	57650

Name:	Marvin 2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	574.1 KB 
ID:	57651

Currently about half way out but I probably won't make it till late tomorrow night at best. Definitely racing against myself!

Fly safe commanders.
    Good luck!

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	239.8 KB 
ID:	57767

Buckyball ... a 1 star review - "when you stare into the void the void stares back ... an immersive and insightful parody on man's insignificance in the grand scheme of things which attempts to illustrate that, through bold endeavour, we can try to raise our profile to that of something grander and more notable. A remarkable effort that will be remembered for years to come".

Update: Utopian mission to Sag A*

23.480ly out from Galileo and all is looking good...

Just a couple more skims, then a rest while I refuel...

So tired though...

Careful!.... too close... overheating, but turning away... 96%... 98%... 102%... damn.

Heat damage... Heat damage... cargo hatch malfunction... nooooooooooo...

...and slowly I watch the canisters fall away as the FSD kicks in...

Click to the right menu and check the cargo bay:- 0 of 8.

Oh well. Nearly there - might as well see the view before heading back for more publicity.

Not like it's taken long to get this far. Maybe have another go.

In about a month.

Click to the right menu and check the cargo bay:- 0 of 8.

Oh well. Nearly there - might as well see the view before heading back for more publicity.
    It's OK, you aren't the first one to lose your cargo on the way there... My Kitten Brand Coffee didn't make it either, I lost that somewhere around the 20k mark.

Originally Posted by drakhyr View Post (Source)
    Not yet.

The A* Challenge is only open to those running in open play in the main universe. As Xbox users are currently in a separate beta universe, runs wouldn't be accepted.

Once the Xbox version goes fully live in September, I'll accept Xbox entries.

I will ask all Xbox entries to identify themselves. I don't know whether there is any advantage or disadvantage to Xbox players as I understand you'll always be in separate instances, so we'll just note which are Xbox times but keep them on the main board (same as has been done with those running in a wing).
    Since I don't play on both, i can't tell you what differences there are in gameplay. Currently, there is no way us xboxers to post screenshots. I have heard of some minor diferences. Like when come out of jumping to a new systemwe are already fully throttled down. I know we can enter complex names in our Galmap and it will go to the system. I am not sure if PC players are restricted on how far you can plan a route, but we are restricted to 1k Ly. Tbh, the fastest i can cover ground is roughly 2,500 Ly in an hour. That is jumping as soon as my FSD cools down.

Anyways, are the leaderboards for xbox going to be seperate from the PC leaderboard?

Originally Posted by PNK Ozymandius View Post (Source)
    Since I don't play on both, i can't tell you what differences there are in gameplay. Currently, there is no way us xboxers to post screenshots. I have heard of some minor diferences. Like when come out of jumping to a new systemwe are already fully throttled down. I know we can enter complex names in our Galmap and it will go to the system. I am not sure if PC players are restricted on how far you can plan a route, but we are restricted to 1k Ly. Tbh, the fastest i can cover ground is roughly 2,500 Ly in an hour. That is jumping as soon as my FSD cools down.

Anyways, are the leaderboards for xbox going to be seperate from the PC leaderboard?
    That all sounds pretty similar to the PC version (you can do the auto-throttle down even, it's just not automatic). It's 1kLy per route on PC as well.
    From what drakhyr said in the previous post, XB1 times would be on the same leaderboard, just marked as an XB1 rather than PC time.

As for lack of screenshots... Are you able to record videos on the XB1? If so, links to videos of outfitting, departure and arrival (including showing the time on the galaxy map) should do fine I'd imagine...

We can take screenshots and videos. Only issue it will not let us upload them. There are several workarounds people have found for uploading videos. 1 of those may work for screenshots, but i won't hold my breath. I was wanting to do the run on my birthday, but it will happen before the commercial release. My work around was i was going to just take a picture with my phone, lol. I can always try some of the work arounds to try with screen shots. Oh well.. I guess i will have to wait until some other day.

Btw, here is my exploration Asp that I was planning to use. Her name is Ye Mighty.

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70g,01...KU5ii05U2UI2jw

Well, even if I cannot get an official time for the buckyball A* run; I am posting that I intend to do the run anyway on my bday Sep 2. I will post Screenshot/pic. (like if it was official).

Btw CMDR (GT): PNK Ozymandius
    Ship type: Asp Explorer
    Ship name: Ye Mighty.

We can take screenshots and videos. Only issue it will not let us upload them. There are several workarounds people have found for uploading videos. 1 of those may work for screenshots, but i won't hold my breath. I was wanting to do the run on my birthday, but it will happen before the commercial release. My work around was i was going to just take a picture with my phone, lol. I can always try some of the work arounds to try with screen shots. Oh well.. I guess i will have to wait until some other day.

Btw, here is my exploration Asp that I was planning to use. Her name is Ye Mighty.

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70g,01...KU5ii05U2UI2jw
    2500LY/h is a great speed in that Asp, the top Asp times are about 2700-2800LY/h over the full distance, but they're stripped down more than your ship to give jump ranges of 36.5LY or more.

Things like heat-sinks are obviously down to the individual CMDR, and there's loads of over-cautious vs reckless debates in the explorers forum about heat sinks, AFMUs, fuel scooping, etc, but I will say that unless you're planning to head right out to the rim after your Sadge run you won't need the 64t tank, as stellar density is higher travelling corewards.

You'd be fine with a 16t tank and a 32t tank is "playing it safe." I know that you're equipping as a Fuel Rat, but with the 8t hold for limpets heading towards the core I'd take 24t of fuel (16t for you and 8 for the limpets), and a lighter 1D controller (for jump-speed). That way you could even carry 32 limpets if you wanted and rescue more CMDRs. Hauling 64t of fuel just slows you down.

Rusticolus has just made a really long range fuel rescue mission, so he'd be a better person to listen to than me.

I know that Drakhyr isn't planning to include XBox times on the board until it's out of Beta, but if you do make the run on your Birthday, then let us know how you do. Good luck!

It's OK, you aren't the first one to lose your cargo on the way there... My Kitten Brand Coffee didn't make it either, I lost that somewhere around the 20k mark.
    I managed to deliver a Jaques Quinentian Still to CMDR Metta (it was meant for Henry Passionfruit so he'd never run out of booze), but I needed to keep using AFMUs to repair the cargo hatch. I made sure it stayed above 80%, as in my previous run the cargo hatch was at 1% when I reached Sadge even though the rest of my modules were around 90%!

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    2500LY/h is a great speed in that Asp, the top Asp times are about 2700-2800LY/h over the full distance, but they're stripped down more than your ship to give jump ranges of 36.5LY or more.

Things like heat-sinks are obviously down to the individual CMDR, and there's loads of over-cautious vs reckless debates in the explorers forum about heat sinks, AFMUs, fuel scooping, etc, but I will say that unless you're planning to head right out to the rim after your Sadge run you won't need the 64t tank, as stellar density is higher travelling corewards.

You'd be fine with a 16t tank and a 32t tank is "playing it safe." I know that you're equipping as a Fuel Rat, but with the 8t hold for limpets heading towards the core I'd take 24t of fuel (16t for you and 8 for the limpets), and a lighter 1D controller (for jump-speed). That way you could even carry 32 limpets if you wanted and rescue more CMDRs. Hauling 64t of fuel just slows you down.

Rusticolus has just made a really long range fuel rescue mission, so he'd be a better person to listen to than me.

I know that Drakhyr isn't planning to include XBox times on the board until it's out of Beta, but if you do make the run on your Birthday, then let us know how you do. Good luck!

I managed to deliver a Jaques Quinentian Still to CMDR Metta (it was meant for Henry Passionfruit so he'd never run out of booze), but I needed to keep using AFMUs to repair the cargo hatch. I made sure it stayed above 80%, as in my previous run the cargo hatch was at 1% when I reached Sadge even though the rest of my modules were around 90%!
    I set up my exploration Asp to handle anything I could think of while im out exploring. I tend to be like the dobermans in the movie Up. I have a bad tendency to start 1 direction and get side tracked. I am a firm believer in better safe than sorry. 30 Ly seems to be my magic number. I have had longer jumping Asps before. I just tend to do better with the 64T of fuel and a little shorter jump range. Then again I haven't done any speed runs over 4k Ly. Even with a speed pass thru the corona of scoopable stars while my FSD cools down; i tend to use a little more than i get. I just keep doing this until i get down to around 8t of fuel. Then i stop and top off.

Taking into consideration what was said to get a little better jump range. Although im dead stuck on hauling 64t of fuel total. By getting rid of my point defense & chaff. Downgrading fuel control to 1D, my powerplant to 2A, and my thrusters to 4D. I can eek another 1Ly extra jump range.

Here is my question. How does an Asp handle with a 4D thruster?

Here is my question. How does an Asp handle with a 4D thruster?
    In normal space? Sluggish, like a wet sponge.
    But thrusters don't affect handling in supercruise, which is where you'll be spending (hopefully) all your time on the A* run. So, nice light thrusters are definitely a good bet

Page 11 of 156 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast