Page 150 of 157 FirstFirst ... 140146147148149150151152153154 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 2341

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge

Originally Posted by Jensen2015 View Post (Source)
    Reporting a successful run. Total race time: 09:26:27

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/CGsR7

4 or 5 stops due to hyperspace instabilities (mostly on my end). 1 emergency stop and 1 repair stop. Could've saved about 10 minutes or so. Maybe I've to re-plan the route a bit. Could replace the 8t-fuel tank with 1x4t + 1x2t, that would give 0.23ly more range... But overall, I'm quite happy with the result.

Well done, CMDR! Excellent time for the Asp.

I do have an odd question, though. How was heat dissipation on your run? It's one of those fun tradeoffs we all make when planning a run - go with the lighter D-rank power plant, or a heavier A-rank that dissipates heat faster?

Originally Posted by Hanekura Shizuka View Post (Source)
    I do have an odd question, though. How was heat dissipation on your run? It's one of those fun tradeoffs we all make when planning a run - go with the lighter D-rank power plant, or a heavier A-rank that dissipates heat faster?
    I repaired my thrusters (around 60%) and my FSD (around 80%) once relativly early into the race, but I think, I could've tried without the repair. Other than that I didn't have too much problems, but I flew in a very save manner: Fuel-scoop first, while slowly unobscuring the next target, then charge the FSD, once the target was free and the cooldown was finished and head away in a 90° angle from the star. Because of that I lost some time, since the cooldown sometimes completed with the target still obscured... I had heat levels above 140% or so once, maybe twice - nothing the Asp can't handle.

I had the idea to filter for smaller star classes on the route, but it seems, that you can still get stars that are too large for a fast unobscure in every spectral class.

I didn't even know, that A-rank power plants get rid of the heat faster. It most likely only matters, if you run with strategy to unobscure early and then fly back into the corona...

Got my route!

It's only taken 3 trips, 2.5 weeks, 4 spreadsheet workbooks, 2 self destructs and much frustration and I know there's at least 1 or 2 areas I could optimise if I had the willpower.

Now to do the damn run. Going to have to wait until next week. Using the remaining week to plot at least some/most of my route to Beagle Point.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3nlhaizl4s...oute.xlsx?dl=0

Notes:
    122 Jumps
    101 neutrons
    18 material boosts (1x G1 and 17x G3)
    18 fuel stops
    3 neutron double boosts

Average distance per jump = 230.07ly
    Average distance per jump towards target = 213.11Ly

Estimated time to destination = 2hrs 15 minutes at a steady pace. Should be able to shave some time off by rushing through and hopefully not messing up the double jumps.

Will come back with the results next weekend if I can get time to do the run without interruptions or mistakes.

Update:
    Route to Beagle also complete now. Estimating 6.5hrs with no issues to BP... I'm gonna conservatively say 7hrs...
    That gets me thinking should I try and be the first to get to Beagle and back in 1 sitting (minus food and drink breaks obv)?

Also excuse me whilst I go gather literally as many jump materials as the 1000 material limit will allow me to. Hopefully I'll have that by Friday PM so I can do the run Saturday.

Update 2:
    So there's not many neutrons in the final stretch to Beagle point... things may have gotten out of hand:

Started with about 50 Arsenic and maybe 5 niobium left so all that is since Tuesday evening when I last edited... Also about 400 pieces of material had to bite the dust for this... ;(
    Just need 1 more Polonium now to make the 160th boost and (with spare for 2x AFMU G3 refills) that'll fill my materials bay.

All set for tomorrow pretty much!

Update 3:
    1 false start - messed up a scoop on 4th jump leaving me 1 jump short of the planned refuelling stop at jump 12. Ah well, there's plenty of time for a restart and there's only 4 points I need to control my fuel % that accurately.
    Fuel Dump capability required!

Up until then I was averaging well enough for a sub 2hr time -.- Prob couldn't have kept it up tho.

2nd False start. Back to square 1....

Had major route issues on the way but final time:

2hrs 25 minutes 29 seconds

More data and proof to follow once I reach beagle point. For now the headlines:
    Added 11 manual jumps in
    2 typos on system names I had to correct on the run
    3 missed neutrons
    1 estop + toilet break
    Route plotter issues

I think the 11 manual jumps cost me about 12 minutes, take off another 3 minutes for the e-stop and typos and 3 for the route plotter issues (more to follow on that).
    The 3 missed neutrons I will let slide as that happens and could easily happen again.

So with the adjustments I think I can manage a time of ~2hrs 8 minutes.... I may have to re-assess my route and go again perhaps next weekend if I can stomach it...

I don't think I can manage under 2hrs with the current ship/game set-up. I think waypoint routes would totally allow for under 2hrs..

Anyway, onwards to Beagle, lets see what kind of time I can set there

Wow, a great time. Is that in an Anaconda?

Edit: By the way you guys: How long does it take to get on the list, after sending a PM to drakhyr (or should I better send an e-mail?)

Originally Posted by Jensen2015 View Post (Source)
    Edit: By the way you guys: How long does it take to get on the list, after sending a PM to drakhyr (or should I better send an e-mail?)
    It depends on me doing a board update, which is roughly monthly at the moment, and probably in the next day or two as it's overdue. Yes I have your PM

Originally Posted by Alex Brentnall View Post (Source)
    Had major route issues on the way but final time:

2hrs 25 minutes 29 seconds

Well done, Alex! Excellent time!

Anyway, onwards to Beagle, lets see what kind of time I can set there
    Normally I'd be sweating, but it's not my record that you have to beat anymore. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Hanekura Shizuka View Post (Source)
    Well done, Alex! Excellent time!

Normally I'd be sweating, but it's not my record that you have to beat anymore. Good luck!

Time from Sol to Beagle point:
    6hrs 35min 51sec

Ok, considering I did this without sleeping I am going to go to bed, will post later today or tomorrow or whichever that one it is. I've been awake 29hrs....

Time from Sol to Beagle point:
    6hrs 35min 51sec

Ok, considering I did this without sleeping I am going to go to bed, will post later today or tomorrow or whichever that one it is. I've been awake 29hrs....
    Holy crap. I don't know whether to be impressed or appalled (I certainly feel slightly responsible). That's a hell of a time for BP and a truly awseome A* run as well. Congrat's Alex ... nice going. Enjoy your well earned sleep and apologies for getting you started on this craziness.

Great Sag A* run Alex, especially considering the issues you had. As for the BP time, you just blew away my estimate for what is achievable!

The Run:

Going to post exactly the same post on both here and the Beagle 2 challenge page, here's a crosslink: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post5818021

Ship Outfitting (video): <- 62.32Ly on full tank

1:07:06 Sol: <- Don't look at the fuel amount, shhhh, it's gonna be ok!

3:32:35 Sag A*: <- 2hrs 25min 29sec

Just also realised the text Sagittarius A* isn't actually on the sag A* screenshot as I had star types not selected, the surrounding systems should validate it though, if needed I can post a comparison screenshot with the sys name showing and the surrounding ones seen in my pic.

7:42:57 Beagle Point: <- 6hrs 35min 51sec

Notes + Hints & tips:

Selecting stars rather than plotting routes is totally the way to go.
    Dipping one way then going the other works well for getting into neutron star cones.
    Low graphics settings makes loading times insanely quick, there was a huge difference at least for me.
    AFMU grade 3 repair speed boost is substantial when using 2x AFMUs it really does half the down-time for the 3 repairs between Sol-Sag A*.

As shown here (forgive the splash screens and crude editing and low graphics settings):

First jump is a standard one
    2nd shows the selection box issue
    3rd shows the star selection issue
    4th is the worst example of the star selection issue

Selection box issue: Sometimes the galaxy map doesn't like to pick the typing box readily, only solution is to wave the mouse over the from/to system points to get it to register, looses time and frustrates you.
    Star selection issue: Problem 2 is that sometimes the box for the select system button doesn't work quite right and doesn't show. Trick is to not have any systems showing on the galaxy map, deselect everything so you just have a blank screen and the box pops right up instantly. Took me 15-20 jumps to work this one out and by then I'd lost a good few minutes to it.

On top of that I had a few instances where I needed to hit a specific % fuel (25%, 30% etc) so I was light enough to make a long jump later in the route. This is a terrible idea as if you don't hit it perfectly it breaks your entire run. Too little = can't make the jump, have to plot nearby and add a jump + plotting time into the route. Too much fuel and same result.
    If you have to do this I highly recommend doing it in the first 10-15 jumps only, I had one in the last portion and it went so so badly.

Double jumps are good for time but if you mess it up you have 3 normal jumps to compensate all of which need manual plotting, or you use some G3 FSD boost. Neither are particularly inviting options. Keep your route simple, your fuel scoops up to 100% and work with it. Unless you are a fuel management god.

Stats: (from Sol-BP)
    Spreadsheets Made: 4
    Trips to Sag A*: 4
    Trips to Beagle Point: 2
    False starts: 2
    Time planning: 3 weeks
    Self destructs: 5
    Credits spent: 55mil
    Materials gathered: 998
    The start:

Materials Used: 692
    Jumponium grade 3 used: 109
    Toilet breaks: 3

Instances of route breaking: 7
    Manual plots: 11 on Sag A* run, a further ~70 on the Beagle Point run
    Typos in route names: 9
    Emergency stops: 1
    Missed neutrons: 7
    Total neutrons: 237
    Total jumps to Sag A*: 129
    Total jumps to Beagle Point: 354
    Average time per jump to Sag A*: 68 seconds
    Average time per jump to BP: 67 seconds
    Average time per Kly to BP: 6 minutes

The one in bold is the one that shocks me... I honestly don't believe that statistic. Maybe I'm tired and my math is wrong, can someone confirm? Confirmed, thats pure insanity... I love it.

Done editing. Post is finished, made a reddit thread too because why not, I think I can be proud of this run: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDanger...ler_once_more/

Average time per Kly: 6 minutes

The one in bold is the one that shocks me... I honestly don't believe that statistic. Maybe I'm tired and my math is wrong, can someone confirm?
    I'm calculating 165 ly/min, which corresponds to just over 6 min/kylie.

Great run Alex, your BP run time is mind blowing, especially with a detour to Sadge.

Out of curiosity, how close did you make it to BP using neutron stars? Can they get you all the way to The Abyss?

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    Great run Alex, your BP run time is mind blowing, especially with a detour to Sadge.

Out of curiosity, how close did you make it to BP using neutron stars? Can they get you all the way to The Abyss?
    Most of the way with 3 main gaps that I had to synth route through.

Neutrons carried me from Sag A*
    "Juenae SU-V D3-5165" to "Greae Flyao MT-O D7-19"

then I had a transition of ~1700Ly in grade 3 synthesis boosts to get to "Fachou HX-B D13-1". From there I could do another clean run of neutrons all the way to "Choi Eork WE-Z D0". That's where the first issues were:

The final stage looks like this:
    Choi Eork WE-Z D0
    Synth to
    Cheia Eohn RK-C D14-3
    Cheia Dryiae MI-Z D1-4
    Cheia Dryiae XB-O C9-1
    Cheia Dryiae CH-S D5-3
    Pyrie Euq OX-L D7-3
    Synth to
    Syre Thua ZU-G D10-3
    Syre Thua DW-E D11-9
    Syre Thua EH-D D12-4
    Iorant CK-A D3
    Ceeckia KI-Z D1-4
    Iorant AF-P B19-0
    Iorant LC-D C12-1
    Iorant HR-N D6-5
    Ceeckia DW-U C19-0
    Ceeckia VR-H D11-0
    Beagle Point

At the point where I transition vertically upwards to get back to 0 height I almost got stuck on my practice run as I was running out of FSD boosts! I also nearly hit the locked permit sector. And yeah I'm 100% sure a faster direct Sol-BP exists and I think it could be done in under 6h if anyone finds the optimal route.

Edit: Going to take a break from Elite for a few days until beta, mess around in that then try the Sag A* route again and see if I can nail the complex fuel management bit. Following that I'll either spend some proper time re-doing the route for a "good" run or I'll call it a day and accept my time

I do have a thought in my head for the bank holiday weekend coming up in the UK: Has anyone ever done a record from Sol->Colonia?

20kly route plotting and neutron boost route plotting in 2.4!

Going to refresh my route and try to beat the 2h mark once 2.4 releases, it may just be possible now!!!

Page 150 of 157 FirstFirst ... 140146147148149150151152153154 ... LastLast