Page 155 of 157 FirstFirst ... 145151152153154155156157 LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,325 of 2341

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge

Still no sub-2-hours run? You guys got lazy on your ol' days!

Is the classic class run dead now?

Originally Posted by CaptainKirby View Post (Source)
    Is the classic class run dead now?
    Nobody's done one for a couple of months, I don't think that's the same as calling it dead

Originally Posted by CaptainKirby View Post (Source)
    Still no sub-2-hours run? You guys got lazy on your ol' days!
    I did attempt to goad Cmdr Alot at the Expo bar (repeatedly referring to him as the 2nd fastest pilot in the galaxy) but currently there's an issue since 2.4 which he believes makes doing that currently impossible - namely the enforced delay timeout on FSD injection. We did then collar a fairly merry Adam Woods (I think it was Adam) and suggest that this delay should be removed. I'd put the chances of Adam remembering that conversation the next morning at around 1000:1 against!

Oh well, we tried.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    I did attempt to goad Cmdr Alot at the Expo bar (repeatedly referring to him as the 2nd fastest pilot in the galaxy) but currently there's an issue since 2.4 which he believes makes doing that currently impossible - namely the enforced delay timeout on FSD injection. We did then collar a fairly merry Adam Woods (I think it was Adam) and suggest that this delay should be removed. I'd put the chances of Adam remembering that conversation the next morning at around 1000:1 against!

Oh well, we tried.
    Now I'm even more gutted I missed the Expo!

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)

Oh well, we tried.
    Can confirm the veracity of all of the above.

I've actually thrown Sandy a PM on the same topic, on the off-chance he's interested... I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Edit: Got a response, he's said they'll definitely be taking another look at the synthesis delay numbers (especially FSD boost).

I might be doing a classic run soon not confident I will beat the existing record

Cmdr Crotalus
    Ship type Type 6
    Ship Name Tyger
    Class Classic
    Time 11 hrs 14 Mins 38 Seconds

Start

End Galaxy Map

Originally Posted by crotalus View Post (Source)
    Cmdr Crotalus
    Ship type Type 6
    Ship Name Tyger
    Class Classic

Start

End Galaxy Map
    New Type 6 record then ... nice!

Cmdr Crotalus
    Ship type Type 6
    Ship Name Tyger
    Class Classic

Start

End Galaxy Map
    Nice run Crotalus!

Did you make use of the new 20k route plotting? How did it work out? I'm curious as the core route plotting issues were the most intense part of classic A* runs in 'good old days' - waiting for 98% to get to 100%.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    I'm curious as the core route plotting issues were the most intense part of classic A* runs in 'good old days' - waiting for 98% to get to 100%.
    Plotting to the core is still slow with the new planner. hchalkley mentioned that the route is split into 1,000Ly chunks so the distance away you are when you start plotting doesn't really matter.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    Nice run Crotalus!

Did you make use of the new 20k route plotting? How did it work out? I'm curious as the core route plotting issues were the most intense part of classic A* runs in 'good old days' - waiting for 98% to get to 100%.
    It didn't seem to bad unfortunately I did not record how long it took to plot it will also change depending on your jump range. From beta it took over a minute when I tried plotting 20000lys in a 65Ly Anaconda this time it was probably under a minute
    I plotted from the start to around 6000 so I could plot directly to Sagittarius A*

I did have some very short jumps which I assume is due to it plotting in 1000 ly sections the shortest was a round 6ly is which was when I was around 6000 ly from Sagittarius A*

Ship type Type 6
    Congrats! T-6e love!

Now, if this won't get aw_aurora to the starting grid, then...

Cmdr Name: Penny Umbra
    Ship Type: Asp Explorer
    Ship Name: Beaufort
    Run: Classic

Time set: 10:02:08

Departure From Lomas Orbiter:

[IMG][/IMG]

Arrival at Sag A*:

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm quite pleased with this for a first time attempt, and I can see areas where I can improve. Like being a bit bolder about starting the FSD charging, and keeping some extra fuel for when I drop too far from a star in a binary system. Better to jump on into the next system than faff around trying to get a scoop I think.

I'll be back for another go sometime, I'd like to get a sub-10hrs time in, and then engineer Beaufort, and really go for broke!

Nice run Penny.

It's definitely worth hitting the FSD button as early as possible - preferably as soon as the cool down ends - and then getting out of the corona as quickly as possible.

As a rough guide in an Asp Explorer in classic, anything that can save you a second per jump will knock about 15 minutes off your time.

Originally Posted by Penny Umbra View Post (Source)
    Cmdr Name: Penny Umbra
    I'm quite pleased with this for a first time attempt, and I can see areas where I can improve. Like being a bit bolder about starting the FSD charging, and keeping some extra fuel for when I drop too far from a star in a binary system. Better to jump on into the next system than faff around trying to get a scoop I think.
    Well done

I normally now have 2 and bit jumps worth of fuel, so with a class 5 Frame Shift Drive I will have 12t of fuel this is to deal with dropping too far from a star and loss of connection.
    As Raiko said you are better starting to charge the Frame Shift drive as soon as possible

Page 155 of 157 FirstFirst ... 145151152153154155156157 LastLast