Page 157 of 162 FirstFirst ... 147153154155156157158159160161 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,355 of 2416

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge

Originally Posted by Alex Brentnall View Post (Source)
    Hi Buckyballers!
    "In general, we will try to make sure that the new blueprints can max out slightly better than the old system (we want to encourage conversion)."
    There is also this:

All penalties in blueprints are fixed and only applied once per rank

Intention to Race / Maiden Voyage

Hello again. I'm having another go. This time,

CMDR Name: Penny Umbra
    Ship Name: Forever Autumn
    Ship Class: Type 10 Defender

Classic Run.

My link to my internals screenshot is: https://imgur.com/a/e7goM

I intend to start tomorrow morning, and finish when my sanity runs dry, or I reach Sag A*.

Wish me luck, I'll need it.

Originally Posted by Penny Umbra View Post (Source)

Classic Run.

I intend to start tomorrow morning, and finish when my sanity runs dry, or I reach Sag A*.

Good luck Penny ... fly fast!

Classic Run.

I figured it wouldn't take too long Good luck.

Classic Run.

Good luck

Was considering taking a Type 10 out on Saturday, but if I do a run this weekend I might try a Asp Explorer Neutron run

A Succesful Maiden Voyage. 16hrs 14mins

I departed from Lomas Orbiter at six minutes past eight this morning.

[IMG][/IMG]

And arrived at Sag A* at twentytwo minutes past midnight.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I make that to be 16hrs 14mins.

Time to unwind with a large glass of wine.

As we enter a new year, it's well past time for me to bring the leaderboards up to date.

In Classic class, first to run was A* veteran Cmdr Crotalus, who this time set his sights on the record for the Type 6, which had stood for more than two years. With a clear focus that it didn't mind if the rest of the ship was burnt to ash so long as the frame shift drive was kept in working order, Crotalus kept his ship Tyger on track to take yet another class record, in this case with a time of just over eleven and a quarter hours.

We also welcome a newcomer to Buckyball racing, in the form of Cmdr Penny Umbra. Cmdr Umbra picked up that most popular of ships for long distance racing, the Asp Explorer, and proceeded to set a very good first time in Beaufort. She didn't quite succeed in breaking the ten-hour barrier, but it's clear that this is just likely to spur her on to further attempts in future.

Before making another attempt in Beaufort, though, Cmdr Penny Umbra chose to return in a different ship class. While the Beluga Liner was available for months before its first recorded trip to the centre of the galaxy, no such fate awaited the Type-10 Defender. Stripping Forever Autumn's internals to the absolute minimum, Penny Umbra set off for the core within days, to set a benchmark time of sixteen and a quarter hours.

Discussions have already been had about the potential for the T10 to go faster still, and the major ship manufacturers have already announced that there will be at least two new ship types available in the coming year. Combined with the number of ships where the records are still standing from BBRA* days, or the record is over a day when we know even the slowest ships can complete the challenge in less than 24 hours, this means there are still plenty of opportunities for records out there in 3304!

In Unlimited class there's only one new racer to welcome, although this commander did get in a bit of practice, submitting three attempts in consecutive weeks. Those three attempts showed steady improvement for Cmdr Darplata94 in the Diamondback Explorer Dark Runner, culminating in a final time of just under 6 hours. That's a very good time considering that unlike most of those ahead, Darplata94 was running with scanners and without using neutron star supercharging.

Well done to all!

Well done Penny and thanks for continuining to maintain this thread drakhyr.

Happy New Year everyone!

Hey Guys, I know i haven't been active but I've still been around. Anyway...

I've been keeping tabs on the beta engineering system and how outcomes in the new system compare to the god roll FSDs (etc) of the current system. The way things are balanced right now, the new system maxes out at 56% increase to Optimal Mass(+50% at max tier5 + 4% experimental of the now 150% ends up being 156%). and a fixed 30% mass penalty to the drive. While this is still a pretty good drive by old standards, I certainly know people who have better.

This combined with the promise the people will be able to have existing modifications grandfathered in means there will be a problem of the "haves and have nots". Those who got really lucky or rolled a huge number of times in the whole system, and everyone else who made their modifications afterword. And that does not make for an evolving buckyball leaderboard.

but there are now official "stripped down" experimental modifications for several of the core modals, including power plant and thrusters. Of course that doesn't stop someone with a 58% FSD from keeping that drive and also taking advantage of the new engineering options for the other moduals. Regardless I went ahead and fit/max-engineered my DBX "Hot Needle of Inquiry" for a theoretical post-Beyond Sag A* challenge run. and see what the over all outcome is.

Soo yeah, 58.8(64)LY. With enough power for 4 AMFUs for neutron boosting. This is an improvement over the fit I had the last time I did the challenge, but that was with a 52.8% FSD that has some thermal bonuses. So the 56% is already an improvement in this case.

As I see it they don't have to change things too much for solve the problem of grandfathered FSDs. All they really have to do is up the Experimentally "Mass manager" bonus from 4% to 6% and then we would have 59% drives. Even tho the theoretical max of the current system is 60% I doubt many, if any, exist. A guaranteed 59% should be good enough to keep things competitive.

On the other hand if they decided to "fix" the problem just buy disallowing grandfathered moduals while keeping the same engineering values... we may never see anyone break 2hours... and the top of the leaderboard could become frozen until the next update that may increase navigation speed. #thatwouldbebad

Tho in honestly I kinda expect them to ignore it, way more people griping about weapons then FSDs. I hate for people not to try and shoot for the top of the leaderboard because they think "That's just for people with drives handed down from the Old-Gods"

FDev said that the best possible in the new system should be better than the best possible in the old system, so this means they've not got it right yet. I suggest raising a bug if you've not yet done so.

I've not had chance to try beta yet

Originally Posted by monev View Post (Source)
    Hey Guys, I know i haven't been active but I've still been around. Anyway...

I've been keeping tabs on the beta engineering system and how outcomes in the new system compare to the god roll FSDs (etc) of the current system. The way things are balanced right now, the new system maxes out at 56% increase to Optimal Mass(+50% at max tier5 + 4% experimental of the now 150% ends up being 156%). and a fixed 30% mass penalty to the drive. While this is still a pretty good drive by old standards, I certainly know people who have better.

https://i.imgur.com/fL12tju.jpg

This combined with the promise the people will be able to have existing modifications grandfathered in means there will be a problem of the "haves and have nots". Those who got really lucky or rolled a huge number of times in the whole system, and everyone else who made their modifications afterword. And that does not make for an evolving buckyball leaderboard.

but there are now official "stripped down" experimental modifications for several of the core modals, including power plant and thrusters. Of course that doesn't stop someone with a 58% FSD from keeping that drive and also taking advantage of the new engineering options for the other moduals. Regardless I went ahead and fit/max-engineered my DBX "Hot Needle of Inquiry" for a theoretical post-Beyond Sag A* challenge run. and see what the over all outcome is.

https://i.imgur.com/SeZ6Cb1.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/cGiXw50.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/Rx6wBQn.jpg

Soo yeah, 58.8(64)LY. With enough power for 4 AMFUs for neutron boosting. This is an improvement over the fit I had the last time I did the challenge, but that was with a 52.8% FSD that has some thermal bonuses. So the 56% is already an improvement in this case.

As I see it they don't have to change things too much for solve the problem of grandfathered FSDs. All they really have to do is up the Experimentally "Mass manager" bonus from 4% to 6% and then we would have 59% drives. Even tho the theoretical max of the current system is 60% I doubt many, if any, exist. A guaranteed 59% should be good enough to keep things competitive.

On the other hand if they decided to "fix" the problem just buy disallowing grandfathered moduals while keeping the same engineering values... we may never see anyone break 2hours... and the top of the leaderboard could become frozen until the next update that may increase navigation speed. #thatwouldbebad

Tho in honestly I kinda expect them to ignore it, way more people griping about weapons then FSDs. I hate for people not to try and shoot for the top of the leaderboard because they think "That's just for people with drives handed down from the Old-Gods"
    Good research, nice post!

We should wait and see tho ... when the first 3.0 engineering results started coming in (see the old rolls vs. new rolls thread) FD did say something to the effect that they might tweak the numbers a bit more since they'd alleged that you should be able to get slightly better in the new system.

I think there will be a minor difference. Originally doing the maths i made a mistake thinking both the 56% fsd and 10% fuel use per jump would be able to be applied at the same time.

As it stands with them as separate mods its pretty balanced. The only ones that'll get benefits are as you say the 56%+ ones and anyone over 53% with fuel use per jump.

That also said I dont think it will matter for the A*. Even my FSD is only 0.1x ly better than the g5 new ones. Unless someone can shave an entire jump off the route it'll be insignificant...
    Even then with 1j or 2j saved the quality of flying will have a larger affect imho.

So, two things to note about the 56% - first, that's 56% optimal mass with only a 30% mass increase - way better than most current rolls. That actually gave me most of an extra light year over my current 57.1% roll, just from the decreased mass.

Secondly ... that doesn't matter anyway because the beta 2 changelog arrived this morning and they've bumped the base maximum from 50% to 55%, meaning the maximum with the experimental effect is now a whopping 61%.

If this change stays, we're going to plaid!

Originally Posted by Esvandiary View Post (Source)
    So, two things to note about the 56% - first, that's 56% optimal mass with only a 30% mass increase - way better than most current rolls. That actually gave me most of an extra light year over my current 57.1% roll, just from the decreased mass.

Secondly ... that doesn't matter anyway because the beta 2 changelog arrived this morning and they've bumped the base maximum from 50% to 55%, meaning the maximum with the experimental effect is now a whopping 61%.

If this change stays, we're going to plaid!
    Yep, I just saw the beta 2 notes... That having been said the +30% module mass wasn't that big for me as my (formerly) god rolled FSD had only +32% module mass...

Either way looks like the right conda should break the 2h mark now... Anyone going for it post release? (looks around suspiciously)