Page 160 of 164 FirstFirst ... 155158159160161162 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 2453

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge

Originally Posted by drakhyr View Post (Source)
    Adding space for limpets means you either have to lose one of the limpet controllers, or else go to something with only a class 4 fuel scoop and no scanners...
    http://edshipyard.com/#/L=B0Y0,,,9p3...6005U005U003w0

Or This?
    8+8+8+4 limpets at a time (28 a wave = 3 waves for 72T refuel)
    16+8+8+4 Cargo (36 = 1 synthesis required halfway through to restock)
    64+16T fuel (80T which is down to 6T after refuel so enough to FSD out)

But yeah, no scanners on that and the additional time of a limpet synthesis..

Perhaps I was too optimistic... Ah well, it was an interesting prospect.

Originally Posted by Alex Brentnall View Post (Source)
    But yeah, I suppose I am in the right place for nutters
    Pretty sure A* means Asylum.

Just had a thought here.
    Would it be potentially faster to have a pit crew style run with strategically placed ships ready to go with refuelling limpets? If you had the standard 72/74T fuel tank on the Anaconda and every 9 jumps had a wing beacon with a friend to drop onto that'd mean 100% neutrons for the whole run!

If it were done properly to give you exactly 74T of fuel a T9 could fit 3x class 7 transfer controllers and a 5A and 3A giving a total of 22 limpets at a time or 3 and a bit waves.With that I'd expect the fuelling time to take less than 2 minutes with the right wing beacon drop. Beacon drop possibly even drags you out of the neutron you just supercharged at for bonus time saved. Finally the fuel time would allow you to repair your FSD which you can't currently do whilst scooping since SC is needed.

Biggest downside is that 115 jumps means you'd need 13 friends with very dedicated and flexible schedules to fly the T9s out the the right place and be online at the right time.. If someone checks my maths/theory and wants to we can organise a Buckyballers 1-off race for Alot or Alitnil as the current record holders and get people in the right places. Just to see how fast is truly possible... Obviously all that relies on having 12 other nutters to fly the T9s out and my maths to add up. I'm somewhat sceptical of both
    Insane - I like it.

JBiggest downside is that 115 jumps means you'd need 13 friends with very dedicated and flexible schedules to fly the T9s out the the right place and be online at the right time.. If someone checks my maths/theory and wants to we can organise a Buckyballers 1-off race for Alot or Alitnil as the current record holders and get people in the right places. Just to see how fast is truly possible... Obviously all that relies on having 12 other nutters to fly the T9s out and my maths to add up. I'm somewhat sceptical of both
    Then again, if we're talking about 2-4 hour flight window, then it is not that difficult (to sort out the time for pitstops for the crew).

I'm down for this kind of thing later this Spring/Summer.

Dear lord, this idea is entirely new levels of mad.
    I actually ran with 64T rather than my previous 80, which might make such a thing a bit easier.

I've just done a bit of poking of my journal files; it looks like my average jump time for refueling stops along the "main track" (i.e. after I'd hit the neutron field) was 110 seconds; 4 of those stops were combined refuel + repair stops, so that'll bring the average up a bit.
    So, 110 - 33 (charge + countdown + hyperspace) gives you 77 seconds under your control to refuel/repair - and if using Alex's idea, presumably get through a jet cone first!
    I was occasionally a bit sloppy with my refuel/repair so it can probably be done faster... but it should be a good ballpark.

Of course, you don't need to go as fast as that because you're going to be cutting somewhere in the region of 6-7 jumps out... So you could probably take 30 seconds or so longer and still be faster overall.

Dozen experienced fuelrats and some preliminary pitcrew practices to trim the stop time down as much as possible.

(Also good planning and datetime coordination.)

Rondennis it!

Oh gods, what have I started!

Although yes, I'm totally up for helping out with this as a refueller if one of the experts wants to plan a run with refuel stops sometime

Ah, I forgot about the scoop... Silly me... But you forgot cargo racks for limpets

They could also fly out without all tanks full and also synthesise limpets to make it quicker... But yeah, I suppose I am in the right place for nutters
    You could do a run to Sagittarius A* say the week before then fly to Colonia change equipment then fly to wherever you need to go to do the refuelling

"In pursuit of marginal gains" indeed.

This adds the risk of instancing into the mix, even more tension to cope with!

I'm looking forward to watching this. Every refueller will be livestreaming right?

EDIT: Suggestion:
    Fuel transfer limpets are consumed on use right? So is there a benefit in using two ships? The second ship can jettison limpets during refuelling which the first ship can pick up with a collector, then use for fuel transfer. This could allow smaller, longer-range ships to be used so things might be easier to set up...

...too much?

Commader Crotalus
    Ship Type Lakon Type 7
    Ship Name Celosia
    Time 11 hours 17 minutes 17 seconds
    Class classic

Start

End

Originally Posted by crotalus View Post (Source)
    Commader Crotalus
    Ship Type Lakon Type 7
    Ship Name Celosia
    Time 11 hours 17 minutes 17 seconds
    Class classic
    Oh, bravo - that is a very good time indeed. Congratulations

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    Nice run Crotalus!

Did you make use of the new 20k route plotting? How did it work out? I'm curious as the core route plotting issues were the most intense part of classic A* runs in 'good old days' - waiting for 98% to get to 100%.
    Congrats...I guess....mutter...mutter

Seriously good time though, I guess time to dig out the buckyball goggles again

Originally Posted by Esvandiary View Post (Source)
    Oh, bravo - that is a very good time indeed. Congratulations
    Originally Posted by mw_aurora View Post (Source)
    Congrats...I guess....mutter...mutter

Seriously good time though, I guess time to dig out the buckyball goggles again
    Thank you

The type 7 had some real life distractions so could have been faster, it was also 12 jumps longer than the Type 6

Starting in Unlimited class, let me first welcome a newcomer to the A* Challenge, Cmdr Kelanen Alcatraz. Running in the Anaconda The Brutal Deluxe, Cmdr Alcatraz zoomed down the neutron superhighway to set an impressive time for a first time runner, with a time of 2 hours 38 minutes taking fourth place on the leaderboard.

A little further back, Cmdr Darplata94 returns after a short break to apply a little more engineering to his Diamondback Explorer Dark Runner. The improved jump range allowed an incremental further improvement in his time, to 3 hours, 23 minutes and 31 seconds.

As we have seen from the last few months, it appears that Darplata94 doesn't really believe in doing one run at a time, preferring to do several in quick succession. This month he has turned his attention to the unengineered ships, starting with a Neutron class entry in another Diamondback Explorer, Atrox. Showing what he's learnt from practice in engineered ships, Darplata94 takes the overall neutron class lead with a time of just over 5 hours and 55 minutes.

Meanwhile in Classic class, a couple of A* Challenge regulars have turned their attention to some longstanding ship type records, following recent upgrades by Lakon Spaceways to their larger vessels. First to fall was Cmdr Alot's (in)famous Type-7 Transporter record, which had stood for more than two years. Cmdr Crotalus (who else?) took advantage of the T7's improved capabilities to set a time of 11 hours 17 minutes in Celosia, slotting neatly in between his own ship type records for the T6 and Dolphin.

Finally for this month, Cmdr Darplata94's third entry took significantly longer than all his previous entries, being unengineered and without neutron supercharging. The handling of the Type-9 Heavy Sunfish must also have been a bit of a change compared to his normal Diamondbacks and Asp! Sunfish set a good pace to bring the T9 record well under 24 hours, with a final time of just over fifteen and a half hours.

Well done to all!