Page 5 of 139 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club presents: The A* Challenge

Originally Posted by D8ncer View Post (Source)
    Hi Cmdr’s,
    Have the day off tomorrow and decided I am going to try the loony (A*Challenge).

Cmdr – Khal Rayark
    Ship – Nostrodamus (Anaconda)

Setting off at around 8-9am GMT and hope to try and streamit for a bit of fun. You can tune in using the following link. Never done thatbefore so doing some test stuff to try and get it working.
    http://www.twitch.tv/d8ncer
    Have done a shedload of exploring already and have Elite but never taken on a challenge like this. So have a pretty good idea what a challenge this is going to be.
    Followed on twitch and I'll try to watch and shout encouragement tomorrow

A different game

Flying the Asp in comparison to the DBX or the Adder... wow. Just wow. It's a different experience, that's for sure. To compare the experiences: Adder and DBX: Don't need to align with the target vector so much, as you're going to be running a few laps around the nearest star anyway. You scoop for awhile, then, when you're almost done, hit the jump button. You align with the target vector, and head out. Asp: You have to align roughly with the target vector immediately. Once the FSD is done cooling off, you hit the jump button; your tank is halfway full at this point anyway. You immediately start turning away from the star at this point, because it's starting to heat up; you'll be full by the time you're out of it anyway. You align with the the target vector, and head out. I can get used to this!

Originally Posted by D8ncer View Post (Source)
    Hi Cmdr’s,
    Have the day off tomorrow and decided I am going to try the loony (A*Challenge).

Cmdr – Khal Rayark
    Ship – Nostrodamus (Anaconda)

Setting off at around 8-9am GMT and hope to try and streamit for a bit of fun. You can tune in using the following link. Never done thatbefore so doing some test stuff to try and get it working.
    http://www.twitch.tv/d8ncer
    Have done a shedload of exploring already and have Elite but never taken on a challenge like this. So have a pretty good idea what a challenge this is going to be.
    Have great time, I'll come watch after work

Run completed; information sent to drakhyr.

Odd question: Are we doing quotes anymore?

Pilot name: Hanekura Shizuka
    Ship name: Wind Dragon
    Ship type: Asp Explorer
    Time: 9 hours, 35 minutes, 12 seconds.

Name:  Screenshot_0081_jpg.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  382.9 KB

Maybe I was a bit distracted the last time, but I never noticed that small orbit before...

Originally Posted by Hanekura Shizuka View Post (Source)

Maybe I was a bit distracted the last time, but I never noticed that small orbit before...
    Well done. An excellent time indeed.

Congrats, great time - I thought you were going to be fast when I saw your comment earlier about the scooping

Originally Posted by AsukaZ View Post (Source)
    Quite possibly, I'm in Sydney, Australia.
    Cool! There's TWO people in Sydney who play it then. I'm that other person you might see around wearing one of my 4 different Elite Dangerous T shirts.

- - - Updated - - -

good job! After flying 26,000Ly at speed you are entitled to do anything you want. I think quotes are part of the whole point.
    CMDR Henry Passionfruit : Simguru Pranav Antal's daily wisdom - "Let all the children boogie." LEVEL 5. Problem? See Enforcer Zaan.
    Cobra Mk3 "?Syntax Error"; Asp "Guru Meditation II"; Orca "The Spanish Inquisition"; FAS "Frank Critique Of Your Paradigm"; T9 "Uncorsetted Promise of Pneumatic Bliss"
    Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries & Other Professional Thinking Persons, Union Representative Sector ZZ-9 Plural Z-Alpha division.
    Join SimGuru Pranav Antal NOW - You know it makes sense! Fly Casual!: TTA - Tea Traders Association Member
    Buckyball Run 6: Buckyball Run 7:Buckyball Run A* Share and enjoy! Listening to Radio Sidewinder 24/7 on the Sub-Etha band!

Asp... I can get used to this!
    scooping in the cooldown is the ticket, I only realised this halfway through my run. you almost beat my old pilot kilggs time, great effort. will anyone be able to beat Alot? is plotting in the core easier now than it was before powerplay or do you still need a magic number?

Bravo! Very nice time indeed.

These Asps seem to be piling up behind me! Not sure how much longer my current record is going to stand for...
    CMDR Alot: Alot of Space!
    Deadly | Entrepreneur | Elite
    Buckyballer | Fuel Rat | 65k Club Member
    Videos: The Good, The Bad and The Bucky, Do Not Deviate, From B to A, A Job Well-Done, The Fateful Eight
    The A* Challenge: Anaconda, "Rhonda" - 07:56:41; Asp, "Big Bird" - 11:46:05; Type-7, "The Transporter" - 13:53:10

Originally Posted by robinjb View Post (Source)
    is plotting in the core easier now than it was before powerplay or do you still need a magic number?
    Yes, you still need a magic number and you can't cancel a bad plot by exiting the map anymore - its either try to select a closer star and re-plot (which wasn't possible with my old CPU), jump to hyperspace or kill the ED Client process. My hauler time is a good 45 mins slower than it could be due to plotting in the core.

Cash is my only barrier to having a go at the top spot. And finding a whole day to do the run of course

Well done Hanekura! I knew that you'd get a great Asp time.

Now I must resist the urge to try and push myself back up the leaderboard until after these other races!

Originally Posted by robinjb View Post (Source)
    scooping in the cooldown is the ticket, I only realised this halfway through my run. you almost beat my old pilot kilggs time, great effort. will anyone be able to beat Alot? is plotting in the core easier now than it was before powerplay or do you still need a magic number?
    Considering how mine ended... yes, you still need a magic number. In fact, in a lot of ways, it's worse, because it keeps on calculating until you jump out of system or the calculation finishes. I got careless at the very end. Found the magic number quickly... and then I got to the inner core, within sight of Sadge, and thought stupidly, "I could just plot directly to Sadge at this point! It's only a 500-ly jump!" I lost about 10 minutes there; it's the only 'big' mistake I made on the run. I actually had to close E:D and then get back into it in order to clear it. Fortunately, I knew the smaller 'magic numbers' for my ship as well, and took short hops into Sadge from there.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    Well done Hanekura! I knew that you'd get a great Asp time. Now I must resist the urge to try and push myself back up the leaderboard until after these other races!
    Originally Posted by Stern Winter View Post (Source)
    Well done. An excellent time indeed.
    Originally Posted by mw_aurora View Post (Source)
    Congrats, great time - I thought you were going to be fast when I saw your comment earlier about the scooping
    Thanks. Decided to do this now as sort of a mind cleanser; I finished some writing early Monday morning, and wanted time between finishing the work and checking the work. What better mind cleanser is there than a Bucky run?

Originally Posted by c64orinoco View Post (Source)
    good job! After flying 26,000Ly at speed you are entitled to do anything you want. I think quotes are part of the whole point.
    Good point. That said, something I said earlier put it best: "I can get used to this!" And yes; the Asp is a beautiful machine to make the run in.

Originally Posted by Esvandiary View Post (Source)
    Bravo! Very nice time indeed. These Asps seem to be piling up behind me! Not sure how much longer my current record is going to stand for...
    Thanks. That said, mw_aurora is correct on the record; it's not going to be broken in an Asp. Unless there's something I'm not seeing, the absolute upper limit on a "bare" Asp is probably 9 hours; I judged the upper limit on my loadout, with ADS and DSS, to be about 9 hours and 15 minutes, doing everything perfectly, and losing the ADS and DSS only adds 0.37ly to the jump range. I lost about 10 minutes to the occasional bits of silliness, such as stellar collision from trying to do something between jumps, or FSD malfunctions (I had those toward the end), and then about 10 minutes to my own plotting stupidity at the end.

Now, what you DO need to worry about are mw_aurora, Raiko, drakhyr, or myself getting the hundreds of millions needed to buy and kit a 'Conda. And may heaven help us all when that happens.

Unless there's something I'm not seeing, the absolute upper limit on a "bare" Asp is probably 9 hours; I judged the upper limit on my loadout, with ADS and DSS, to be about 9 hours and 15 minutes, doing everything perfectly, and losing the ADS and DSS only adds 0.37ly to the jump range.
    I was on for 9h 13m until a minor plotting issue lost me 4 mins, and I had also lost another minute to an emergency stop early on.

I don't think that extra 0.37Ly actually gets you to Sag A much quicker as it isn't enough to reduce the number of jumps per optimal range plot. After my run with a bare Asp, chatting with Drakhyr & Raiko, and experiments back in the bubble, I think you need to increase range by nearer a full LY to make a difference (which is quite annoying as 2 return trips with the Asp and data would have got me closer to that 'conda ). It may save a jump or two on the whole run?

Basically, I believe we are looking at optimising the number of jumps to improve times at the top of the table because we are already hitting the FSD cycle limitations.

Originally Posted by mw_aurora View Post (Source)
    I was on for 9h 13m until a minor plotting issue lost me 4 mins, and I had also lost another minute to an emergency stop early on.

I don't think that extra 0.37Ly actually gets you to Sag A much quicker as it isn't enough to reduce the number of jumps per optimal range plot. After my run with a bare Asp, chatting with Drakhyr & Raiko, and experiments back in the bubble, I think you need to increase range by nearer a full LY to make a difference (which is quite annoying as 2 return trips with the Asp and data would have got me closer to that 'conda ). It may save a jump or two on the whole run?

Basically, I believe we are looking at optimising the number of jumps to improve times at the top of the table because we are already hitting the FSD cycle limitations.
    Well, okay... let's calculate it... some woolly thinking here, but let's assume that, in general, the plots are increased by 0.37, on average. 0.37 ly/jump*roughly 725 jumps (it was 27-29 jumps per thousand, as you'd normally expect, depending on distance from core) = 268.25 ly increase. That's a savings of 7 or 8 jumps, so... about 5 minutes saved.

Page 5 of 139 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast