Commander: Crotalus
    Ship Type: Alliance Chieftain
    Ship Name: Libertas
    Time: 14 Hours 17 Minutes 42

I had issues with loss of connection, slow witchspace and real life

Start

End

First Jump

Wow, you don't waste any time! When should we expect the run in the Type-10?

Recent weeks have seen a few commanders making multiple trips along the highway to the core...

We start in Unlimited class, with the big news of the week: we have a new record! Cmdr Alot has returned to the course with upgraded engineering on Rhonda. At the conclusion of three attempts with the same day, Alot has succeeded in breaking through the two-hour mark, setting a new record time of one hour, fifty-five minutes and eleven seconds. Very well done, Commander!

Only a little further back, Cmdr Darplata94 continues to show that he's obviously been taking tips from Cmdr Crotalus on run frequency, with four runs in four days, only three weeks after his previous attempts. This time he switched routes to the neutron superhighway, with both ships (the Asp Explorer Incognito and Diamondback Explorer Dark Runner) setting times close to three and half hours, in the process setting two ship type records.

Just outside the ten-hour mark we welcome Cmdr nouspiro, whose Diamondback Explorer Kuroitsubasa was actually making a run to Beagle Point. The 15-minute penalty for starting in the wrong system leaves nouspiro's recorded time at just over 10 hours.

I mentioned Crotalus' run frequency above, and he's keeping up the tradition. First of his entries this time round becomes the second entry in Neutron class, taking an un-engineered ship down the neutron star superhighway. Cmdr Crotalus obviously wasn't entirely happy with his time in the Asp Explorer Cleo, with the time of nearly eight and three-quarter hours being reported as "a very slow run"!

And finally to Classic class, where Cmdr Crotalus has kindly saved me from putting up an empty line on the "top times by ship type" board. Less than a week after its release, the Alliance Chieftain has complete its first A* Challenge run in Crotalus' experienced hands, with Libertas setting a benchmark time of just over 14 and a quarter hours.

Well done to all!

This month's updates leave a few questions, of course: Who will be first to take advantage of the upgraded jump capability of the Type-7 and Type-9? Can that Chieftain time be beaten? And how long will it be before Allitnil takes a shot at reclaiming the overall crown?

Originally Posted by drakhyr View Post (Source)
    Recent weeks have seen a few commanders making multiple trips along the highway to the core...

We start in Unlimited class, with the big news of the week: we have a new record! Cmdr Alot has returned to the course with upgraded engineering on Rhonda. At the conclusion of three attempts with the same day, Alot has succeeded in breaking through the two-hour mark, setting a new record time of one hour, fifty-five minutes and eleven seconds. Very well done, Commander!

Only a little further back, Cmdr Darplata94 continues to show that he's obviously been taking tips from Cmdr Crotalus on run frequency, with four runs in four days, only three weeks after his previous attempts. This time he switched routes to the neutron superhighway, with both ships (the Asp Explorer Incognito and Diamondback Explorer Dark Runner) setting times close to three and half hours, in the process setting two ship type records.

Just outside the ten-hour mark we welcome Cmdr nouspiro, whose Diamondback Explorer Kuroitsubasa was actually making a run to Beagle Point. The 15-minute penalty for starting in the wrong system leaves nouspiro's recorded time at just over 10 hours.

I mentioned Crotalus' run frequency above, and he's keeping up the tradition. First of his entries this time round becomes the second entry in Neutron class, taking an un-engineered ship down the neutron star superhighway. Cmdr Crotalus obviously wasn't entirely happy with his time in the Asp Explorer Cleo, with the time of nearly eight and three-quarter hours being reported as "a very slow run"!

And finally to Classic class, where Cmdr Crotalus has kindly saved me from putting up an empty line on the "top times by ship type" board. Less than a week after its release, the Alliance Chieftain has complete its first A* Challenge run in Crotalus' experienced hands, with Libertas setting a benchmark time of just over 14 and a quarter hours.

Well done to all!

This month's updates leave a few questions, of course: Who will be first to take advantage of the upgraded jump capability of the Type-7 and Type-9? Can that Chieftain time be beaten? And how long will it be before Allitnil takes a shot at reclaiming the overall crown?
    What the hell? When did Alot do this?!?! Did I miss a forum thread or did he just quietly slip this one under the net?

Anyway, breaking the 2hr barrier is probably worthy of a "Best of Forum" thread post at the very least I'd have thought - coming soon.

Congrat's also to Darplata94, nouspiro and Crotalus - awesome Buckyballing one and all!

o7

I see crotalus is continuing his steady path towards world domination.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    What the hell? When did Alot do this?!?! Did I miss a forum thread or did he just quietly slip this one under the net?
    The silent ones are the deadliest.

I did the run on Saturday ... by which I mean I did three runs on Saturday. I may have been a little frazzled afterwards.

Attempt 1
    Only reached about 25% distance before I foolishly took a risk regarding letting my FSD go below 80% integrity for a few jumps. I did not know how FSD malfunction mechanics worked. I spent enough time figuring out how FSD malfunction mechanics worked that I had to scrub the run.
    Lesson to be learned: know how mechanics work beforehand or don't rely on them.

Attempt 2
    Had a pretty good first half of the run, then made a few silly mistakes in the second half but remained on course for a reasonable time.
    Then, with three jumps to go, I proudly pasted the next system name into the galmap only to find that said system was supposedly a little over 8000Ly away. My ship is not able to jump 8000Ly.
    Lesson to be learned: transcribe system names correctly, and/or actually double-check them before doing a run.

Attempt 3

Lesson to be learned: if at first you don't succeed...

It was a pretty decent run (at the third time of asking) and I don't feel like I made many significant mistakes, but I still have a feeling Allitnil will rip right through it when he has a go.
    I can't seem to consistently hit much under 60 seconds per jump once refuel and repairs are taken into account - see also: 115 jumps in 115 minutes and 11 seconds. Based on his previous times I think Allitnil's cracked that somewhat better than I have (edit: or maybe I just didn't realise how good his previous route was!).

Either way, I'm happy for now. It was a somewhat more expensive day than anticipated, both in rebuys and materials, but it panned out in the end.

Who will be first to take advantage of the upgraded jump capability of the Type-7
    Ssshhhhh!! Why'd you have to go and say that, I was hoping nobody noticed

Grats Alot! I'm not at all surprised that the 2 hour record has gone but I wasn't expecting it to be by that much. My previous time was 117 jumps in 121 minutes so I for one consider an average of 60 seconds per jump something that's a bit beyond by capabilities at present.

The other way to beat it would be to find a route with fewer jumps, but 115 sounds good as it is effectively knocking 3 off my one (since I'm assuming you can't now do the double neutron boost to Sol for a freebie at the start of the run). Jump ranges may be higher but not by much really.

I'll probably give it a try when I'm back from my current trip as I would like to go under 2 hours. But I would probably need the leaked Guardian module to beat your time...

Grat's also to Crotalus, Darplata94 and nouspiro for fine runs.

Originally Posted by Allitnil View Post (Source)
    Grats Alot! I'm not at all surprised that the 2 hour record has gone but I wasn't expecting it to be by that much. My previous time was 117 jumps in 121 minutes so I for one consider an average of 60 seconds per jump something that's a bit beyond by capabilities at present.

The other way to beat it would be to find a route with fewer jumps, but 115 sounds good as it is effectively knocking 3 off my one (since I'm assuming you can't now do the double neutron boost to Sol for a freebie at the start of the run). Jump ranges may be higher but not by much really.

I'll probably give it a try when I'm back from my current trip as I would like to go under 2 hours. But I would probably need the leaked Guardian module to beat your time...
    Oh wow, I didn't realise your route was only 117 jumps! I'm now instead wondering how the heck you managed to make that route with your previous jump range. I guess the double-neutron at the start helped, but still... I think mine was 124 or something similar. I guess I didn't make much use of neutrons on the way out from the bubble on my previous route, which probably makes up most of the difference.

Yeah, the 60s per jump was hard to keep up - mostly just because so many of the neutrons on my route were little wispy ones that you have to be really careful with. It's a difficult balance - go too carefully and you're losing time, but go too aggressively and end up out the other side and you're losing much more.
    Then again, I'm not sure if I prefer the wispy ones or the mad millisecond pulsars that break the game audio for about 30 seconds after you go anywhere near them! I had a couple of those that were right next to M class stars, to the point where I was momentarily fuel scooping during the drop in; that certainly woke me up a bit.

And yes, I'm rather liking the sound of that Guardian FSD booster...

Congrats Alot o7

Congrats to everyone else as well, lots of excellent runs this month.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)

Anyway, breaking the 2hr barrier is probably worthy of a "Best of Forum" thread post at the very least I'd have thought - coming soon.
    I spotted Alot rapidly increasing distance on my contacts list on Saturday, checked the Galmap and sent a good luck message.

As for the breaking news of a sub-2hr time, I can't wait for the endless forum posts of "now that 'condas take less than 2hrs to reach Sagittarius A* why can't we just insta-jump anywhere!?"

Originally Posted by Esvandiary View Post (Source)
    Then again, I'm not sure if I prefer the wispy ones or the mad millisecond pulsars that break the game audio for about 30 seconds after you go anywhere near them! I had a couple of those that were right next to M class stars, to the point where I was momentarily fuel scooping during the drop in; that certainly woke me up a bit.
    Next time I expect you'll be using those to save you time on refuelling stops.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    I spotted Alot rapidly increasing distance on my contacts list on Saturday, checked the Galmap and sent a good luck message.
    Which I spotted, and felt slightly guilty about being a little busy to reply to.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    Next time I expect you'll be using those to save you time on refuelling stops.
    Honestly I was more worried that it'd mess up the remainder of that leg! A few of the legs were rather finely balanced when it came to fuel... There were a few ending on <1T of fuel, and one jump in particular that I just checked my journal entry for - fuel use of 7.991T out of the 8T max per jump. Wouldn't have wanted to take on any extra weight before that one.
    (I was actually slightly concerned that my ability to make that jump might be dependent on how full the reservoir was...)

Thanks for the kind messages folks!

Originally Posted by Esvandiary View Post (Source)
    Who will be first to take advantage of the upgraded jump capability of the Type-7
    Ssshhhhh!! Why'd you have to go and say that, I was hoping nobody noticed
    Well done setting a new record
    Now I am considerig buying Type-7

The chieftain run didn't go well, mostly due to my internet connection
    My mean jump time was around 5 seconds slower than the Type-6 which had some issues with slow witchspace, I had 44 jumps that took over a minute
    The route itself was 15 jumps shorter than the route I did with the Clipper

Originally Posted by crotalus View Post (Source)
    Well done setting a new record
    Now I am considerig buying Type-7

The chieftain run didn't go well, mostly due to my internet connection
    My mean jump time was around 5 seconds slower than the Type-6 which had some issues with slow witchspace, I had 44 jumps that took over a minute
    The route itself was 15 jumps shorter than the route I did with the Clipper
    I'm sorry to hear you had issues with slow jumps... I know how frustrating that can be!
    Nonetheless, I'm very impressed with your ability to reliably produce good times, even when you've had problems on the run. You've got a few entries on the board that I think anyone would really struggle to beat - the Clipper and Dolphin runs especially.

Best of luck with the Type-7, if you do decide to go for it... I'd be perfectly happy with my record falling to a dedicated racer such as yourself.

Just had a thought here.
    Would it be potentially faster to have a pit crew style run with strategically placed ships ready to go with refuelling limpets? If you had the standard 72/74T fuel tank on the Anaconda and every 9 jumps had a wing beacon with a friend to drop onto that'd mean 100% neutrons for the whole run!

If it were done properly to give you exactly 74T of fuel a T9 could fit 3x class 7 transfer controllers and a 5A and 3A giving a total of 22 limpets at a time or 3 and a bit waves.With that I'd expect the fuelling time to take less than 2 minutes with the right wing beacon drop. Beacon drop possibly even drags you out of the neutron you just supercharged at for bonus time saved. Finally the fuel time would allow you to repair your FSD which you can't currently do whilst scooping since SC is needed.

Biggest downside is that 115 jumps means you'd need 13 friends with very dedicated and flexible schedules to fly the T9s out the the right place and be online at the right time.. If someone checks my maths/theory and wants to we can organise a Buckyballers 1-off race for Alot or Alitnil as the current record holders and get people in the right places. Just to see how fast is truly possible... Obviously all that relies on having 12 other nutters to fly the T9s out and my maths to add up. I'm somewhat sceptical of both

Originally Posted by Alex Brentnall View Post (Source)
    Just had a thought here.
    Would it be potentially faster to have a pit crew style run with strategically placed ships ready to go with refuelling limpets? ... Obviously all that relies on having 12 other nutters to fly the T9s out and my maths to add up. I'm somewhat sceptical of both
    Well, you're probably in the right place for nutters...

I think that works out at a build something like this (though obviously you'd engineer it). That means the support ships would have to make their way out with a pretty short jump range (17LY before engineering) and only a class 6 fuel scoop.

I don't have the experience with fuel transfers to be able to check the maths on the refuelling

Well, you're probably in the right place for nutters...
    I think that works out at a build something like this (though obviously you'd engineer it). That means the support ships would have to make their way out with a pretty short jump range (17LY before engineering) and only a class 6 fuel scoop.
    I don't have the experience with fuel transfers to be able to check the maths on the refuelling
    Ah, I forgot about the scoop... Silly me... But you forgot cargo racks for limpets

They could also fly out without all tanks full and also synthesise limpets to make it quicker... But yeah, I suppose I am in the right place for nutters

Originally Posted by Alex Brentnall View Post (Source)
    Ah, I forgot about the scoop... Silly me... But you forgot cargo racks for limpets
    Adding space for limpets means you either have to lose one of the limpet controllers, or else go to something with only a class 4 fuel scoop and no scanners...