Page 554 of 620 FirstFirst ... 549552553554555556559 ... LastLast
Results 8,296 to 8,310 of 9296

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: UA Mystery Thread 3: The Canonn

Originally Posted by Rubbernuke View Post (Source)
    Does Warkushanui fit on this hypothetical line?
    Not really. It's closer than Sol, but not by much.

Would be great if we had a UA reporting tool...

If we could get System name as a minimum, time/date of sighting, plus (if possible) screenshot for validation, orientation, star type (although we could probably import that from eddb), plus a "notes" field and CMDR name perhaps?

Could add some real time statistics, e.g. rate of occurrences, trends, etc...

What do you think? I won't have time to build such a thing the next few weeks, and it might be a bit rubbish, but if there's anyone who could whip one up?

Originally Posted by Qvothe The Bloodless View Post (Source)
    Another interesting observation (and I'm not sure if this has been observed already, this thread is massive), I noticed the UA always realigns itself to be pointing at Merope, no matter how you bump and turn it.
    Yes it is known behaviour since 1.4. In Merope itself they point at the star.

Originally Posted by Special Circumstances View Post (Source)
    Would be great if we had a UA reporting tool...

If we could get System name as a minimum, time/date of sighting, plus (if possible) screenshot for validation, orientation, star type (although we could probably import that from eddb), plus a "notes" field and CMDR name perhaps?

Could add some real time statistics, e.g. rate of occurrences, trends, etc...

What do you think? I won't have time to build such a thing the next few weeks, and it might be a bit rubbish, but if there's anyone who could whip one up?
    Try the Wiki. If there isnt a section for individual UA discoveries (it may have been reviewed into a summary), just make one.

Originally Posted by Uncle Bert View Post (Source)
    I agree. Could you post a list of the 1.4 systems. I'd then propose we check the systems between Mel 22 and the rest of the group first, then ever increasing circles (spheres) around the whole group until we define the spawn/no spawn area.

If other CMDRs then quote the list, add their system with a screenshot for the records we'll soon be on our way.

What do you think?

I won't be on until Tuesday but I'll join in then.

UB
    Here's the current list of 1.4 UA systems:
    Aries Dark Region GW-W d1-52
    Aries Dark Region UE-P b6-0
    Aries Dark Region UE-P b6-1
    Aries Dark Region XK-N b7-1
    Aries Dark Region XK-N b7-2
    Aries Dark Region XZ-O b6-3
    Aries Dark Region ZF-N b7-3
    Arietis Sector EQ-Y b0
    Arietis Sector EQ-Y b1
    Arietis Sector YJ-A c1
    Arietis Sector YO-A b3
    HIP 14621
    HIP 23205
    Hyades Sector BV-Y c13
    Hyades Sector BV-Y c14
    Hyades Sector DL-Y d39
    Hyades Sector DL-Y d77
    Hyades Sector KM-V b2-1
    Mel 22 Sector DB-X d1-37
    Mel 22 sector OO-Q c5-12
    Taurus Dark Region OX-U b2-0

That includes two more outliers that Qvothe reported today (HIP 23205 and Taurus Dark Region OX-U b2-0). I've also found UAs in those two systems. What's interesting is that every system on that list, including the outliers, is between 135 and 150 Ly from Merope. I suspect that all systems in that range from Merope will turn out to spawn UAs.

Ideally I think we need to keep track of which systems have been checked, how long has been spent in the system (so we can evaluate confidence in the negative results), whether UAs have been found (with a link back to posts here for proof), and perhaps the number of SSS seen and the number of UAs found. We can probably just create a Google docs spreadsheet for it.

Wasn't Merope the first name of Tom Riddle(Lord Voldemort)'s mother?

May be a coincidence, but the name Riddle sounds about right ;-)

Originally Posted by Vingtetun View Post (Source)
    Wasn't Merope the first name of Tom Riddle(Lord Voldemort)'s mother?

May be a coincidence, but the name Riddle sounds about right ;-)
    Isnt Merope already the daughter of Atlas and Pleione?

Originally Posted by pretzil View Post (Source)
    And for science I ran out of real milk around midnight and my last three cups of tea I had to use the emergeny UHT milk that was in my cupboard
    At least you haven't started on the dog's milk yet...

Originally Posted by Soopyyy View Post (Source)
    I've been playing around with the audio from the UA, this might interest some of you.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...0wzTk91c1dOLU0
    Sounds roughly 10x speed. Are you specifically listening for the 2 tone "tuba" (the purrs), the 3 groups of chittering (the morse) or the faint harmonic sound in the background sometimes?

Originally Posted by rizal72 View Post (Source)
    I hope no one got offended by my curiosity...
    But do UAs still get angry Rizal72? This is something we need to know.

Originally Posted by RedWizzard View Post (Source)
    That includes two more outliers that Qvothe reported today (HIP 23205 and Taurus Dark Region OX-U b2-0). I've also found UAs in those two systems. What's interesting is that every system on that list, including the outliers, is between 135 and 150 Ly from Merope. I suspect that all systems in that range from Merope will turn out to spawn UAs.
    Has anyone else noticed that coincidence? 135-150LY is the usual distance of a high paying smuggling mission from the frontier of the bubble. Smuggling missions from Te Kaha usually end up 140-150ly inward of the bubble.
    Just for the interest, if Merope is 135-150ly on the other side of the centroid, what would be 135-150ly on this side of the centroid RedWizzard? I'm guessing it would be in the bubble. Or was that when Jotun got referred to?
    Would that include Peregrina? I'm just spitballing ideas here, no particular direction to my thought stream.

Originally Posted by Zenith View Post (Source)
    But do UAs still get angry Rizal72? This is something we need to know.
    Oh yes, it does.

Originally Posted by Zenith View Post (Source)
    Has anyone else noticed that coincidence? 135-150LY is the usual distance of a high paying smuggling mission from the frontier of the bubble. Smuggling missions from Te Kaha usually end up 140-150ly inward of the bubble.
    Just for the interest, if Merope is 135-150ly on the other side of the centroid, what would be 135-150ly on this side of the centroid RedWizzard? I'm guessing it would be in the bubble. Or was that when Jotun got referred to?
    Would that include Peregrina? I'm just spitballing ideas here, no particular direction to my thought stream.
    What I'm saying is that Merope is the centroid for 1.4 (and possibly 1.3 as well). Check out this visualisation, which is looking at Merope from below (the bubble is off the bottom of this image):
    Name:  UASystems.png
Views: 285
Size:  6.0 KB
    Blue dots are 1.3 UA systems, green are 1.4, orange is Merope.

If the sphere centred on Merope expanded another 135 Ly then Jotun would be on the edge.

Here's an idea about those "oddities" with the UA pointing elsewhere, and scanning in Merope appearing to be wonky at times...

We know that FD added the possibility to change things without having to update the client. Now if I was working at FD and was in charge of the Thargoid storyline (which may or may not be related to the UA, but it doesn't matter much right now) I would do something like this:
    Have ONE Commander pulled into Witchspace. A random pick. If the client has a way to check if recording software is running it should do so and not pull a player who's recording, for added effect. That player would certainly report what happened and people would go crazy and try to get pulled as well.
    Then I'd wait for a while. Maybe a week, or even a month. No Thargoid activity would happen. That way people would end up disregarding the initial report as made up. And then I'd start with more action. Maybe slowly, maybe all out. Not sure about that.

What I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't put it beyond FD to do just that with those odd UA behaviors some of us come across.

Some ideas:

1) Find 12 Sap 8 Core containers (to match 12 "pods" of UA), take all this to Merope, crush into star, jettison all this and see what happens. Listen to UA.

2) UA scans our ships. Maybe, if single UA manages to scan all ships in game, it will consider it's mission finished, and something happens?

3) This option is hardest theory. Maybe, just maybe that permit to Polaris/Witch's Reach can be handed to CMDR who achieved highest ranks in both Major Factions and obtained triple Elite?

Originally Posted by RedWizzard View Post (Source)
    What I'm saying is that Merope is the centroid for 1.4 (and possibly 1.3 as well). Check out this visualisation, which is looking at Merope from below (the bubble is off the bottom of this image):
    Name:  UASystems.png
Views: 285
Size:  6.0 KB
    Blue dots are 1.3 UA systems, green are 1.4, orange is Merope.

If the sphere centred on Merope expanded another 135 Ly then Jotun would be on the edge.
    Virtual +1

I guess the way to test would be to travel 130-150ly Rimward, North and south and see if UAs turn up.

For reference:

Coreward - towards the core of the galaxy
    Spinward - the direction of the galaxy spin. Following the arm towards the core
    Rimward - towards the edge of the galaxy
    Trailward - the opposite direction the the galaxy spin. Following the arm towards its end
    North - moving above the plane of the galaxy as seen on the map
    South - moving below the plane of the galaxy as seen on the map

(Good old Traveller and it's navigation terminology)

This bacteria called Aquiflex Aeolicus have some interesting properties:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquifex_aeolicus

I was a bit intrigued by these descriptions:

'A. aeolicus grows best in water between 85 to 95 C, and can be found near underwater volcanoes or hot springs. It requires oxygen to survive (though it can grow in levels of oxygen as low as 7.5 ppm), and its method of respiration produces water as a byproduct. ("Aquifex" means "water-maker.") Members of the species tend to form large cell conglomerations, of up to 100 individual cells. It was discovered around islands north of Sicily.'

and

'A. aeolicus is good candidate for biotechnological use due to its high stability against oxygen and high temperature. This can be useful for improving industrial processes.'

Edit: They also produce Sulfuric acid as a wast product of their metabolism.

Originally Posted by KG_Jedi View Post (Source)
    Some ideas:

1) Find 12 Sap 8 Core containers (to match 12 "pods" of UA), take all this to Merope, crush into star, jettison all this and see what happens. Listen to UA.

2) UA scans our ships. Maybe, if single UA manages to scan all ships in game, it will consider it's mission finished, and something happens?

3) This option is hardest theory. Maybe, just maybe that permit to Polaris/Witch's Reach can be handed to CMDR who achieved highest ranks in both Major Factions and obtained triple Elite?
    1) Done that without the crashing into a star bit. Didnt record the UA, but it sounded normal to my fat ears. Hard to get a decent recording and is it isnt a floater. I still have the 12xSAP8 for more experimentation if required.
    2) Maybe
    3) Naaaaah. FD dont work like that, they are more inclusives