Page 5 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Thread: The Canonn - Interstellar Scientific Research

Originally Posted by Silent Pact View Post (Source)
    I've read (finally) just about everything to do with The Canonn.

Question: Is anybody pulling together our 'backstory'? Or making one up? I'm not volunteering - I don't have the skills (and I do believe some skill will be required), but it seems to me that if we are about to get our own 'home' system, we do need a consistent backstory that'll fit the Elite canon (sic), and isn't simply 'well the Devs decided to give this group a system in the interests of gameplay enhancement'.

Thoughts anyone?
    Tinfoil...... lots of tinfoil!

Originally Posted by danubezoe View Post (Source)
    Hi Derthek, you must be tired after arranging the "raffle", here have some ....

Attachment 58984
    Seega Port

Cheers (and this time i really mean it)

DZ
    That is so awesome

Arrow Canonn Home System

Ladies & Gents... Hunters & Researchers.... fellow tinfoil enthusiasts...

Originally Posted by Huros

+++++++

The Canonn Council and I would like to thank you all for your efforts and patience in working through a rushed but successful process to decide upon a new home for the Canonn.

I would also like to thank the Council for their service, creativity, and attention to detail in performing due diligence on the shortlist for the Beta Candidates. Thank you also, to Derthek & Raking15 for helping me and for running and checking the results.

And thank you to all of you who voted! You have allowed me to avoid the deeply worrying problem of having to cast a deciding vote.

There were well over a dozen systems looked into by the interim committee and myself. The three that were selected were agreed upon by consensus. Pretty much all were great systems and I have made a note of some superb mining systems

So, the results:

You have put some established democracies to shame, as I can say that, with 51 votes in total, over 50% of the membership voted.

In third place is:

Nganji with 8 votes

In second place, we have

Kotaition with 11 votes

Which means in first place, and, hopefully, our new home is:

Varati with 32 votes!

I have emailed Zac with our choice.

In an attempt to be open and inclusive in our process we have put together a "fly on the wall" documentary so you have an understanding of what and how things have developed behind the scenes.
    http://goo.gl/1Qupp0

Let us hope that our choice will be ratified by FD, and that we'll be able to move in soon! Congratulations everyone on doing democracy! Now - back to the science!
    ++++++++

Excellent choice fellow canonnites! Looking forward to moving the tinfoil furniture in. :-)

Varati will be a fantastic home for us, and any shortcomings we might find with, let us hope we will be able to address those as and when FD give us the chance to 'breathe'.

This venture will live and die by the actions of all of us, people - and every single person that takes an interest and wants to contribute, in any way, will be welcome. Even those with whom some rather public spats have been had - it's just human nature, it seems to ellicit a lot of passion in people and that's okay. Let's just keep it all channelled in the right place: doing science, exploring this fantasy universe of ours (and hopefully pushing its boundaries to make FD want to create interesting things for us to do) but, most of all - enjoying each other's company and having fun.

This has genuinely been a breath of fresh air for me - and for many, I know, and I look forward to a long-lived collaboration with all of you

In an attempt to be open and inclusive in our process we have put together a "fly on the wall" documentary so you have an understanding of what and how things have developed behind the scenes.
    HAAHAHAHAH!

OMG..... loved this ... It all makes sense now

Thank you

I can imagine the scenes at FDev in the morning.....

Zac: Please Mr. Brooks sir, it's about the Canonn
    MB: The Canonn?
    Zac: Yes sir, the UA hunters?
    MB: Oh, them nutters. You mean they are actually a group now?
    Zac: Yes sir and they have requested a system to be their home.
    MB: What? Those madcap folk with a, errr, scatter-gun approach to science want to actually run a system!?
    Zac: Yes sir.
    MB Is it far from the populated areas?
    Zac: Oh yes sir, it's Varati, right on the edge of the bubble.
    MB: Right, give it to 'em. Keep them well away from where they can cause trouble. In fact, can't we seal them all in there?
    Zac: No sir.
    MB: pity

But it's a damn fine choice. Things were rushed but worked out well.

Well done to the council!

Ah, nuts. 400 billion systems in the game, and we pick Varati?!? Booooooh. "We shall not, we shall not be mov....ing".

<kicks a stone in frustration, and goes off to sulk in a corner.>
    <too busy sulking to notice upturned stone now reveals UA underneath, and it's pulsing in morse the meaning to life, the universe and everything..>
    <...but can it stop us moving to Varati? Nooooooo...>
    <also realises the room is round, and thus the act of sulking in a corner - and the rest of this post - is far more metaphysical than I would otherwise have liked>

Originally Posted by who? View Post (Source)
    Ah, nuts. 400 billion systems in the game, and we pick Varati?!? Booooooh. "We shall not, we shall not be mov....ing".

<kicks a stone in frustration, and goes off to sulk in a corner.>
    <too busy sulking to notice upturned stone now reveals UA underneath, and it's pulsing in morse the meaning to life, the universe and everything..>
    <...but can it stop us moving to Varati? Nooooooo...>
    <also realises the room is round, and thus the act of sulking in a corner - and the rest of this post - is far more metaphysical than I would otherwise have liked>
    So... You're stoned?

Democracy at its finest.
    It appears that our well informed electorate (1 Python in the last 24 hours, oh, sorry thats me) has a penchant for Charity missions, because unless you are elite, thats just about all the missions you will have available.

Give me a benign dictatorship any day.

Originally Posted by simulacrae View Post (Source)
    HAAHAHAHAH!

OMG..... loved this ... It all makes sense now

Thank you
    OMG I didn't see this before - *does 1 million reps*

Originally Posted by Dommarraa View Post (Source)
    Democracy at its finest.
    It appears that our well informed electorate (1 Python in the last 24 hours, oh, sorry thats me) has a penchant for Charity missions, because unless you are elite, thats just about all the missions you will have available.

Give me a benign dictatorship any day.
    To be honest I don't think it makes much difference, nobody has to base their ships there, (mine will be staying at Shinrarta), you dont have to dock there each night or anything. It doesn't affect your involvement in this thread. People will meet where ever it's convenient. Folk will equip where it's cheapest. In game terms I don't think it matters unless you're wanting to expand the faction Powerplay style (some might).

I just see it as a spiritual home, being on the "frontier" and midway to Polaris seems apt. It also has a reasonable selection of planet types. It's also unlikely to get hammered in some irrelevant territorial faction war.

Hoping Polaris will be Thargoid/alien related obviously.

Originally Posted by bitstorm View Post (Source)
    To be honest I don't think it makes much difference, nobody has to base their ships there, (mine will be staying at Shinrarta), you dont have to dock there each night or anything. It doesn't affect your involvement in this thread. People will meet where ever it's convenient. Folk will equip where it's cheapest. In game terms I don't think it matters unless you're wanting to expand the faction Powerplay style (some might).

I just see it as a spiritual home, being on the frontier and midway to Polaris seems apt. It also has a reasonable selection of planet types. It's also unlikely to get hammered in some irrelevant territorial faction war.

Hoping Polaris will be Thargoid/alien related obviously.
    A very balanced and wise summing up.

A quiet backwater of space is reasonably attractive for us to avoid unwanted PP attention - but should the opportunity arise (and we might be forced into it, from what FD have said) it might be a reasonable place to kick off a power. And I think you're right - some will base there, some won't - nobody has to.

Hopefully the makeup of the system will change a little bit if it does become ours - and we're hoping to encourage people to do regular bounty scavenging etc within the system to keep it alive in some way.

Crucially, though - being aligned to the Canonn shouldn't require anyone to change their play style or anything; only offer additional outlets for how people want to play within the confines that FD lay out for us.

I don't know - it could all end up being just sound and fury and ending up a damp squib - I hope not - but if it is, it won't be because we (that's all of us) have let it be like that.

Page 5 of 121 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast