Page 126 of 129 FirstFirst ... 121124125126127128 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 1921

Thread: EDSM - Elite Dangerous Star Map

Originally Posted by Micha View Post (Source)
    While waiting for some code to compile I just had a thought...

Now, first of all, it's awesome that EDSM and other tools exist and all interoperate with each other as regards the automatic uploading of discoveries. But what if I want to delay having this data made public?

For example, I'm out exploring the galaxy, as I'm wont to do, when I stumble across an absolutely magic undiscovered system (no, I haven't, this is just an example, no need to go through my flight-logs, honest!) comprising of several ELW's, WW's, AW's, binaries, moons of each other, etc etc. right next to Colonia. Now by default (in my case) this gets captured by EDDiscovery and auto-uploaded to EDSM, where it's immediately available to unscrupulous pilots who might want to swoop on it and steal my First Discovery.

Unlikely? Perhaps. Explorers are a nice bunch after all.

Regardless, I was thinking it would be nice if we could configure EDSM so that the only thing that was published about the system would be its name, location, and the fact that I found it, but not the bodies its comprised of. At a later time I could log on and click "make public" which would cause all previously private data to be published. (Could, of course, do it on a per-system basis as well, or a time-range, or tie in to submitting the data to UC, but those would be a lot more work).

Probably too much work to implement; still, something for the back-burner for a cold winters' evening perhaps?
    ED Market Connector has a setting called something like Wait until docked.
    Which EDSM follows by default, until the body isn't sent on EDDN, it is stored in a temp table for a month before being linked to your account.

This setting can also be turned Off on EDSM, which will means that the scan event will insert the body in the database, but by default, it's waiting for EDDN to make the insert.
    Thus software can delay sending of discoveries to EDDN, and EDSM follow that rule

@ AnthorNet: It has been three weeks since I posted my issue (here), and no news on it so far. Should I assume that it can't be fixed then, and move on?

Originally Posted by Micha View Post (Source)
    where it's immediately available to unscrupulous pilots who might want to swoop on it and steal my First Discovery.

Unlikely? Perhaps. Explorers are a nice bunch after all.
    Minor note on this: somebody nabbing someone else's find from EDSM intentionally(!) has happened, but only a few times - that we know of. So, while possible, it's really rare.

Originally Posted by marx View Post (Source)
    @ AnthorNet: It has been three weeks since I posted my issue (here), and no news on it so far. Should I assume that it can't be fixed then, and move on?

Minor note on this: somebody nabbing someone else's find from EDSM intentionally(!) has happened, but only a few times - that we know of. So, while possible, it's really rare.

Sorry, totally was overwhelmed by everything else :shame:
    I'm taking a look as stating in the email I just sent you

I configured EDDiscovery to not automatically upload my data - I have to press the upload button myself now. So I only upload to EDSM / EGO when I have returned to a base and sold my data to UC

Originally Posted by AnthorNet View Post (Source)
    Sorry, totally was overwhelmed by everything else :shame:
    I'm taking a look as stating in the email I just sent you
    Looks like that's sorted then - just dropping a note here so that others can also see it's fine now. Thanks again!

I have a question regarding distances being submitted:

I use ED Discovery to upload my log files to EDSM, but distances don't seem to be uploaded. Is this normal, or should EDSM be able to retract those from my log files?

I tried resetting the API key and uploading the log files manually , but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Kr,

HeliosFCB

Originally Posted by HeliosFCB View Post (Source)
    I have a question regarding distances being submitted:

I use ED Discovery to upload my log files to EDSM, but distances don't seem to be uploaded. Is this normal, or should EDSM be able to retract those from my log files?

I tried resetting the API key and uploading the log files manually , but that didn't help.

Any suggestions?

Kr,

HeliosFCB
    Distances or the rest? Distances doesn't have anything related to the journal and is a manual process, yet EDD has an interface to send some to EDSM.

Originally Posted by AnthorNet View Post (Source)
    Distances or the rest? Distances doesn't have anything related to the journal and is a manual process, yet EDD has an interface to send some to EDSM.
    Distances, everything else uploads just fine.

I thought distances could be submitted through the log files, but since it is a manual process, this obviously isn't the case.

Thanks for the quick reply

If distances have to be manually determined, then...
    1) What happens if we don't?
    2) Are there instructions somewhere for how to do it? (I searched the thread but can't read through 10's of pages of search results finding the proverbial needle...)

Thanks for any help / explanations!

Originally Posted by CMDR Galyock View Post (Source)
    If distances have to be manually determined, then...
    1) What happens if we don't?
    Nothing - the system will stay unresolved until someone else visits it or enough distances are submitted to resolve it.

Originally Posted by CMDR Galyock View Post (Source)
    2) Are there instructions somewhere for how to do it? (I searched the thread but can't read through 10's of pages of search results finding the proverbial needle...)
    If you're at the system in question, and have a tool that submits events to EDSM, then no distances are required to resolve that system. However, distances are still wanted to resolve wanted systems https://www.edsm.net/en/systems/front or unresolved systems https://www.edsm.net/en/systems/unresolved

The easiest way to submit distances is:
    • In EDSM, go to the system you are currently in and click the distances tab
    • Click the arrow next to "Generate needed distances" and click "Generate featured distances", which will fill the system boxes with systems for which distances are wanted
    • In the game, go to the galaxy map
    • For each of the systems:
      1. Click the Copy to Clipboard icon for the system
      2. Paste the system name into the search box in the game's galaxy map search box and press enter
      3. If the game is being stupid and doesn't correctly select the system, then go mad until no system is selected, then try again
      4. Once the system is selected and the info box pops up (it must be to the right of the system and point to the system, otherwise repeat step 3), type the distance value that it shows into the box in the "Is (in Ly)" column in EDSM

• Click Submit new distances

Originally Posted by BravadaCadelanne View Post (Source)
    The easiest way to submit distances is:
    In ED Discovery open a trilateration panel. Click 'Start New' (or press Alt+N). Right click the list of systems in the right hand grid and select 'Add all EDSM Systems'. Click on the top one in the left hand grid (this will auto-copy to clipboard). Tab to the distance, alt-tab to ED and paste into galmap search, alt-tab to ED and enter distance (have EDD trilateration tab sized so you can still see the galmap distance), tab to next system in trilateration tab (auto-copied to clipboard again), alt-tab to ED sysmap and search again. Enter them all and click Submit Distances or press Alt+S.

For 3 I recommend zooming the galmap in a bit and researching rather than just going mad in an arbitrary fashion. In the denser areas of the core the search focus sometimes slips to a nearby system and zooming in so they're farther apart fixes that.

(If you're not using EDD then Bravada's method is fine, if you have it then using EDD is much smoother when you get in a rhythm because of the auto-copy to clipboard as you tab through removing his step 1 and the mouse movement that requires. At nearly 80k distances submitted I think I've got it fairly well nailed down as a process)

Ah! Thank you BravadaCadelanne and iain666. Appreciate it!

Hey chaps, a (hopefully) easy one for you - I hit Elite Explorer when handing in data to the Gnosis just prior to the mis-jump incident, but it doesn't seem to have been picked up (I hook in via EDD). Everything else is being kept up to date, but that seems to have been missed, perhaps because it didn't happen at a base? Cmdr name is Malachi Constant, data handed in 05/09/2018 21:06 if it helps

Cheers,

Originally Posted by BrotherAlien View Post (Source)
    Hey chaps, a (hopefully) easy one for you - I hit Elite Explorer when handing in data to the Gnosis just prior to the mis-jump incident, but it doesn't seem to have been picked up (I hook in via EDD). Everything else is being kept up to date, but that seems to have been missed, perhaps because it didn't happen at a base? Cmdr name is Malachi Constant, data handed in 05/09/2018 21:06 if it helps

Cheers,
    A `Promotion` event should be in the journal from when you reached elite, and if that was missed the `Rank` event should have updated the rank on the next game start.

Originally Posted by BravadaCadelanne View Post (Source)
    A `Promotion` event should be in the journal from when you reached elite, and if that was missed the `Rank` event should have updated the rank on the next game start.
    It seems my profile page is correctly updated, it just didn't trigger the badge event.

edit: badge now awarded, thanks!