Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Meet the Team: Joe Hogan

Originally Posted by who? View Post (Source)
    Some great suggestions in here.

I especially like this one. The "major" systems - like Sol - are all wrong in this game. They should be absolutely teeming with activity, tens of thousands of ships milling around. Obviously that isn't feasible with current technology, but they should be able to make these systems seem busier through background sounds / lights/ transmissions.
    Yes please! This would add another layer of personality to the galaxy! And shouldn't be that difficult to do, right?

From what Joe and Matthew both said in their Meet the Teams, they seem to be up against audio engine performance limits now, so I think they'll have to be somewhat careful in just adding stuff, or at least use baked-in effects when adding effects so as not to overload the worst-performing systems and causing audio crackle and stutter. I guess they could produce Busy, Sparse and Uninhabited variants of their existing ambience assets and blend those together with the local emitters.

Originally Posted by Zieman View Post (Source)
    This alrady happens if you have Fuel Scoop fitted & powered, the sounds don't stop even if your tanks are full. Haven't tested it wit scoop off or without a scoop though.
    Really? I know I can hear the fuel scoop working...but I didn't notice any audio difference when I leave the area I can fuel scoop...and it's certainly not a case of poor heaphones...maybe my ears are getting too old
    I am also active at the fan-forum: elitedangerous.de

Originally Posted by wstephenson View Post (Source)
    From what Joe and Matthew both said in their Meet the Teams, they seem to be up against audio engine performance limits now, so I think they'll have to be somewhat careful in just adding stuff, or at least use baked-in effects when adding effects so as not to overload the worst-performing systems and causing audio crackle and stutter. I guess they could produce Busy, Sparse and Uninhabited variants of their existing ambience assets and blend those together with the local emitters.
    Interesting info, thanks.

I'd like the difference between Sol and an unexplored system on the rim to be very jarring. When in an empty, unpopulated system you'd start hearing ship sounds (internal modules, hydraulic/fuel noises perhaps, vibrations/groaning from the internal structure when accelerating/decelerating/turning etc.) which you wouldn't normally hear. When in - say - Sol, you wouldn't hear any of these with all the noise from passing ships, radio transmissions etc.

That might help some if performance is an issue - you could cut out a lot of the normal, low-volume background sounds since they wouldn't be heard anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, one other sound I'd like which'd be quite useful - when the reservoir is emptied and refilled from the main tank, I'd love if you could hear the fuel transfer (glug..glug... I don't really want to know what you'd use for inspiration for that sound ). It's important to know when it's happening.

I know there's a "Main fuel tank drained", though that seems to play at random times, in my experience.

Audio detail or feature, hmm not sure, but I definitely would love to see more musical tracks in the playlist. Game feels like it needs more music variety.

Thanks for all the hard work!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234