Page 2 of 600 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 8988

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: A Guide to Minor Factions and the Background Sim

  1. #16
    Thanks for sharing you group's knowledge with the rest of the community, this is an invaluable resource.

    +100 rep to you and the Mercs of Mikunn, if I could

    o7

  2. #17
    Great post Walt. It'll be interesting to see what the Mercs observe with the mechanics for removing minor factions from a system.

    I know at AEDC we're anxiously awaiting the BGS fix this week to see which issues are resolved and what new issues are created.

  3. #18
    Great guide, very interesting. But I have a question...

    Originally Posted by Walt Kerman View Post (Source)
    States – Current States, Pending States, and Recovering States are shared across all systems owned by the minor faction. Each faction can only have one current state and that state applies to every system in which it is present. This begins to cause problems the more systems the faction is present in. For example, if a faction is present in 100 systems, and a group kills enough system authority in one of them, all one-hundred systems will be put into the Lockdown state, blocking other states like “Expansion”. States can last for several weeks and have a cooldown before they can reoccur.
    Does this include the War / Civil War states? I ask because in 1.3 I fought in a war involving a faction who had expanded into the system and iirc when I visited their home system they were not at war there, which would make sense because the faction they were at war with was not present in that system.

  4. #19
    Originally Posted by irongut View Post (Source)
    Does this include the War / Civil War states? I ask because in 1.3 I fought in a war involving a faction who had expanded into the system and iirc when I visited their home system they were not at war there, which would make sense because the faction they were at war with was not present in that system.
    They are hiddenly shared. Meaning that while they do not appear in all systems, other states will not become active until the war / civil war state ends.

  5. #20
    +1 REP This is an invaluable resource!! Thank you Walt and thanks to the Mercs of Mikunn

  6. #21
    Thanks for this, great work! +rep

  7. #22
    Originally Posted by Walt Kerman View Post (Source)
    Even economic states like “boom” serve absolutely no purpose except to slow down expansion. Quickly cause the war and then end it. Boom and lockdown can last weeks. The point is – don’t get too caught up keeping our influence high. You can use lower levels to your advantage.
    Could you elaborate on that please? We are stuck in Boom state with 87% and no clue how to disrupt it and continue to Expansion. Any suggestions?

    BTW, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Great work!



  8. #23
    Originally Posted by Walt Kerman View Post (Source)
    No problem. I know full well the you and DA could use it against us, but I don't feel that keeping others in the dark is in the spirit of the game.
    We won't, Cmdr.
    There are limits to everything, even the wrath of the DA.
    You have proven yourself honourable.

  9. #24
    I work with a group called the 8th Dragon Squadron, and like you we focussed from very early on the background sim, and like you we became bugfinders as nothing worked, however we ran it as mercs, flipping a system before moving on, relying on roleplay to set up our contracts. With the introduction of player factions we have established a home base while still jumping to and from systems to flip control across the galaxy, we have a base of operations for between missions, giving us admins a chance to breath before moving on. A lot of what you say is pretty accurate and matches our information we have gathered, however the more advanced techniques listed are something we are looking to impliment in our home system, thank you for sharing this information we look forward to field testing your advice. One thing i would like to ask is, where you say about capturing platforms/stations once you control a system, is there a way to pick which station, or is it just a random transfer of real estate once the conflict is over?

  10. #25
    My only issue with the BGS is the galaxy map never seems to update...
    the universe has changed , many systems are now owned by a different faction yet , on the map nothing has changed...

    however I love the BGS I think its a cool part of the game

  11. #26
    Originally Posted by Svenson View Post (Source)
    Could you elaborate on that please? We are stuck in Boom state with 87% and no clue how to disrupt it and continue to Expansion. Any suggestions?

    BTW, thanks for sharing your knowledge. Great work!
    What he meant is that its a good idea to keep your influences somewhat at an acceptable level, close to another faction's so that you can bypass unwanted states (such as boom, lockdown, etc).

    Lower the rep of your faction to equal that of another and force a civil war to bypass the Boom state. Win the civil war and wait for a day, the expansion will then come.

    Originally Posted by wally walford View Post (Source)
    One thing i would like to ask is, where you say about capturing platforms/stations once you control a system, is there a way to pick which station, or is it just a random transfer of real estate once the conflict is over?
    You pick the station you want to capture by aligning your faction's influece with the faction that controls the station you want. If that faction controls more than 1 station you cannot pick which of those will fall in your hands though.

  12. #27
    A fabulous job Walt.

  13. #28
    Originally Posted by Privata View Post (Source)
    My only issue with the BGS is the galaxy map never seems to update...
    the universe has changed , many systems are now owned by a different faction yet , on the map nothing has changed...

    however I love the BGS I think its a cool part of the game
    The Galaxy Map only updates in the long term...and IIRC is not automated. As long as your system stats are correct (which you can see to the .x% if you open your galaxy SYSTEM map and 'pull' it to the right!) then the game is working as intended. Lugh is an Independent Corporate system that is a Control Center for Mahon. Some or none of these might or might not be correct on the Galactic map...but as long as they are correct in the System Map...the game works properly.

    Good post Walt! Solid information as always! o7

  14. #29
    Thank you !

    One question :

    You did not mention Powerplay influence bonus for minor factions, do they really work ?

    EDIT : I mean ratings 2+ for winters, aisling and pranav

  15. #30
    Originally Posted by Roybe View Post (Source)
    The Galaxy Map only updates in the long term...and IIRC is not automated. As long as your system stats are correct (which you can see to the .x% if you open your galaxy map and 'pull' it to the right!) then the game is working as intended. Lugh is an Independent Corporate system that is a Control Center for Mahon. Some or none of these might or might not be correct on the Galactic map...but as long as they are correct in the System Map...the game works properly.

    Good post Walt! Solid information as always! o7
    78 ursae majoris is still considered federation even if its part of the alliance and HEBO is still part of the alliance even if the sons of icarus have invaded my home and forced me into alioth

Page 2 of 600 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast