Page 4 of 574 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: A Guide to Minor Factions and the Background Sim

Can't rep more.

- Have space pic that was also figured out by experiment over a long time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heliopause.jpg 
Views:	868 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	69417

Assistant Cultural Attaché for G 14-6
    Alliance Elite Diplomatic Corps - Data Entry Clerk Second Class
    Alliance Office of Statistics - Kitchen Staff Supervisor

-[--->+<]>--.[--->+<]>--.---.[++>---<]>--.++[->+++<]>.+++++++++.+++.[-->+++++<]>+++.---[->++++<]>.------------.---.--[--->+<]>-.[->++<]>+.[--->+<]>+..---.--------.+++++++++++++.-----------.++.--[--->+<]>.

Originally Posted by Walt Kerman View Post (Source)
    1) Population does not change ever at the moment. Unless you colonize a new system, which we did once, but that involved dev intervention.

2) We have not been able to get rid of another faction by bottoming out their influence. We believe that expanding into a system that is already full will boot out the lowest, but this is pure speculation so I didn't include it in the guide.

3) Extremely certain. We have seen systems that stay untouched on the Frontier keep their influence for weeks on end. Sometimes months... simply because no one cares to visit.
    Question about (3) - have you run a controlled experiment on this? Some systems seem to drift. I.e. there is a trickle of traffic through the system. Visiting a system seems to force an update on the galaxy server.

Have you checked what happens of you force the update but take no other action, and instead jump out of the system immediately?

夏草や
    兵どもが
    夢の跡
    Summer grass
    All that remains
    of young warriors' dreams

i7-6700K @4.4GHz -- Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! -- 16GB DDR4-3000 -- Asrock z170 Extreme IV -- Iiyama 32" 1080p -- OSVR HDK2 -- X52 Pro -- 3DConnexion Space Explorer

Originally Posted by the100thmonkey View Post (Source)
    Question about (3) - have you run a controlled experiment on this? Some systems seem to drift. I.e. there is a trickle of traffic through the system. Visiting a system seems to force an update on the galaxy server.

Have you checked what happens of you force the update but take no other action, and instead jump out of the system immediately?
    I dont think so, but maybe.

Here's some input regarding the trending arrows:
    In my experience, they are correct in 99% of cases. However, the influence figures in the right hand ship panel are incorrectly rounded. More exact figures can be found in the System Map, when moving the cursor away from any object. I use only these for tracking.
    Your case with 7 uptrends could be caused by rounding errors.

Originally Posted by TheTick View Post (Source)
    Here's some input regarding the trending arrows:
    In my experience, they are correct in 99% of cases. However, the influence figures in the right hand ship panel are incorrectly rounded. More exact figures can be found in the System Map, when moving the cursor away from any object. I use only these for tracking.
    Your case with 7 uptrends could be caused by rounding errors.
    Its often right. But its often not correct too, therefore its unreliable. I will watch it again though. I haven't payed attention to it sometime as a result. If it was correct 99% of the time I wouldnt have noticed the issue. Its incorrect way more often for us.

Edit: I changed my wording to less strong words in the OP.

we only use the system ap data for tracking for this very reason.

Re Charity missions. In 1.3 we had very strong (nay irrefutable) evidence that they were positive. In 1.4 we have not tested them but they do show alarimingly negative indicators - usually bust up or lockdown up.
    Capitalism has triumphed all over the galaxy , but this triumph is only the prelude to the triumph of labour over capital.
    Join us >>>Communist Interstellar Union<<<

Forum Thread

Originally Posted by Jane Turner View Post (Source)
    we only use the system ap data for tracking for this very reason.

Re Charity missions. In 1.3 we had very strong (nay irrefutable) evidence that they were positive. In 1.4 we have not tested them but they do show alarimingly negative indicators - usually bust up or lockdown up.

All missions are a little weird right now to be honest...

In our main system bounty hunting missions have always had a negative effect on lockdown (until 1.4 the home of weird stated mission effects). You also got wanted for destroying wanted pirates marked as missions targets. One tip I'd give is go gently for one server tick, or start just a little time before one and make sure the outcome is as intended before pursuing any activity too hard. The very occasional unintended effect can then be caught early before you have too much work to undo.

The prize of these unintended outcomes was a war zone where fighting for the other side was the only way to win!

Its worth adding (and if its there I apologise for skimming over it) that influence updates once a day so don't worry if you don't see an effect straight away and that states update sometime prior to that - usually 2-3 hours. Influence updates on the system map before it shohws in the HUD too.
    Capitalism has triumphed all over the galaxy , but this triumph is only the prelude to the triumph of labour over capital.
    Join us >>>Communist Interstellar Union<<<

Forum Thread

Thank you for this guide +1 rep

So if i understand this correctly .. let's say, i want support "Future of LHS 3447". They own Trevithick Dock in LHS 3447. Currently, there is another faction in charge of the system (LHS 3447 CO something ...). What can i do to turn it around, and see my faction in charge?

Missions - currently, the faction has so low influence, there are barely any missions from them. And if there are, its about killing civs, smuggling, or another type, that i just don't want to do

Exploration - are you sure, that selled exploration data affects influece only of those faction, who is in controll of said station? Because i was clearly gaining REP point with both factions allieganced with major faction

Trading - no way .. there is no commodities market on Trevithick Dock

Smuggling, killing civs, or feds - no, i just don't want to do that

The only way to increase influence for them is bounty hunting? And what about if i'm a peacefull explorer/miner/trader ?

Sorry for my english

Bounty hunting

Difficult to scope if this is relevant to the guide or not, but;

I did hear somewhere along the line that factions offer more missions when they have more credits. They have more credits when they sell more commodities. For at least the last couple weeks we've been trying to support a faction by doing only their missions, but we haven't been doing any trading. Over that same week, the BB's have been full of missions for other factions given we haven't been doing them, but not our chosen faction. We'd be lucky if there was one or two.

I came on tonight having been UA hunting the last three days and observed the same scenario back home (few missions for our chosen faction) then remembered this rumour, so I decided to not run missions, but trade, buying up from a station owned by my chosen faction and selling elsewhere for profit, and returning with a diverse range, usually four or five different types, of goods to sell for profit at my chosen faction's station. I've bought roughly 6 million worth of goods from my chosen faction. There's now at least a half a dozen missions at every station for my faction.

Just a one-off observation, but wondering if A) anyone can corroborate this, and B) if it's relevant for this guide as a means of generating missions?

Originally Posted by Thormagog View Post (Source)
    Thank you for this guide +1 rep

So if i understand this correctly .. let's say, i want support "Future of LHS 3447". They own Trevithick Dock in LHS 3447. Currently, there is another faction in charge of the system (LHS 3447 CO something ...). What can i do to turn it around, and see my faction in charge?

Missions - currently, the faction has so low influence, there are barely any missions from them. And if there are, its about killing civs, smuggling, or another type, that i just don't want to do

Exploration - are you sure, that selled exploration data affects influece only of those faction, who is in controll of said station? Because i was clearly gaining REP point with both factions allieganced with major faction

Trading - no way .. there is no commodities market on Trevithick Dock

Smuggling, killing civs, or feds - no, i just don't want to do that

The only way to increase influence for them is bounty hunting? And what about if i'm a peacefull explorer/miner/trader ?

Sorry for my english

Bounty hunting
    If you are a peaceful miner and trader why would you chose a faction with no commodity market? You will have to explore, or wait for a mission you like, but it seems like you chose a faction that doesnt fit your personality, especially with the missions they are assigning.

Originally Posted by Jmanis View Post (Source)
    Difficult to scope if this is relevant to the guide or not, but;

I did hear somewhere along the line that factions offer more missions when they have more credits. They have more credits when they sell more commodities. For at least the last couple weeks we've been trying to support a faction by doing only their missions, but we haven't been doing any trading. Over that same week, the BB's have been full of missions for other factions given we haven't been doing them, but not our chosen faction. We'd be lucky if there was one or two.

I came on tonight having been UA hunting the last three days and observed the same scenario back home (few missions for our chosen faction) then remembered this rumour, so I decided to not run missions, but trade, buying up from a station owned by my chosen faction and selling elsewhere for profit, and returning with a diverse range, usually four or five different types, of goods to sell for profit at my chosen faction's station. I've bought roughly 6 million worth of goods from my chosen faction. There's now at least a half a dozen missions at every station for my faction.

Just a one-off observation, but wondering if A) anyone can corroborate this, and B) if it's relevant for this guide as a means of generating missions?

Wealth may very well have an effect on missions but its sort of hard to test, since you cant see the value. You are welcome to try and prove it though. I would be very interested. It would of course be relevant.

great thread... i will send a "thank you, walter!" via PM ... NOT! thank you!
    ___

question:
    a) is there a hidden influence/reputation bonus in trading rare goods to a station?
    b) or is profit or value of goods traded to a station taken into account for influence or reputation?

does anybody know? (just to explain: in the good old times of 45t of diso corn, i more or less flipped a small system by selling rares... and it felt much more efficient than selling performance enhancers....)

Originally Posted by Walt Kerman View Post (Source)
    If you are a peaceful miner and trader why would you chose a faction with no commodity market? You will have to explore, or wait for a mission you like, but it seems like you chose a faction that doesnt fit your personality, especially with the missions they are assigning.
    A few weeks ago, when i just started to play ED, this faction was in control of LHS 3447 and they had bunch of "normal" missions for me - classic courier missions, or "bring us some tons of this" and they even had some mining missions later. But then there was a civil war and they probably loose and lost control of LHS 3447. Now i don't know how to support them without bounty hunting, smugling goods, or killing civs/feds.

Page 4 of 574 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast