Page 161 of 170 FirstFirst ... 156159160161162163166 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,415 of 2542

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    Because I was confused... it's page 18 of the PDF, but pages 28-29 in the magazine.
    Doh! Thanks for the correction. o7

Here's the final "Falling with Style" scoreboard for use on the website (i.e. without the final days entries highlighted).

Great, thanks Alec.

While I'm posting, let me just leave this here for now...

A signature-sized version can be found at buckyballracing.org.uk/images/closeencounters_sig.png

Hey guys, quick question ... anyone know where the best/most accurate written history of the Buckyball Racing Club can be found?

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Hey guys, quick question ... anyone know where the best/most accurate written history of the Buckyball Racing Club can be found?
    I can't rememeber whether anyone has written a history - other than your discography and the website's Past Events section.

This is the original thread though:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...Buckyball-Runs

The first few pages of posts contain the origins - including some guy called Alec Turner first mentioning the name Buckyball Racing Club.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    I can't rememeber whether anyone has written a history - other than your discography and the website's Past Events section.

This is the original thread though:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...Buckyball-Runs

The first few pages of posts contain the origins - including some guy called Alec Turner first mentioning the name Buckyball Racing Club.
    Wow, now there's a thread I haven't seen in a long time. Fascinating reading. Quite a lot from some chap called Raiko as well. Also - Burning Toast?!?!? - what the hell kind of name for a race series would that have been? What the hell was I drinking when I wrote that???

Hello.

New racer here. After trying it at Lavecon I think that this can be my kind of stuff. Thank you to the guys in the Lavecon that had the patience to show me what it was about.

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Maya Fey View Post (Source)
    Hello.

New racer here. After trying it at Lavecon I think that this can be my kind of stuff. Thank you to the guys in the Lavecon that had the patience to show me what it was about.

Cheers.
    Hi Maya, did we speak after the Conclave on Saturday? Either way, glad you found us and look forward to seeing you in the next race. I dare say it will be mentioned in this thread but also keep an eye on http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk/index.html where the banner for the next race (currently "Close Encounters") will become a link to a new forum thread closer to the time.

o7

Not directly Buckyball related but a terrific report from SAGi on Hanekura's galactic circumnavigation record.

Also a quick shoutout just to say what a brilliant weekend we had at Lavecon. We had myself, drakhyr, furrycat, alot, ozric, alex brentnall and numerous other Buckyball fans in attendance as well as a few new recruits following the weekend I believe. Drakhyr and furrycat ran a fantastic race over the weekend (more news on that incl. scoreboard, etc, soon I suspect), I spoke a bit about what we do in the Lave Radio Conclave discussion (I'm hoping a recording of that might surface in due course) and we also did a big group interview with Cmdr Souvarine from Sagittarius Eye magazine which I believe will be appearing as a feature article in the July issue (done in a similar style to the "Conquerors of Worlds" article on the Planetary Circumnavigation Club in issue #9).

http://www.sagittarius-eye.com/

I spoke a bit about what we do in the Lave Radio Conclave discussion (I'm hoping a recording of that might surface in due course)
    Never entirely comfortable seeing or hearing recorded versions of myself (cringe) but in case anyone's interested in what I said about racing during the Lavecon Conclave discussion I managed to find it here:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/271209822?t=01h55m31s

To be honest, once they started talking to the rest of the panel about the broken BGS and stuff like that I didn't get much of a look-in so it's probably only worth watching the 1st 5 minutes or so.

No one likes hearing their own voice. Don't worry, you sound like you.

Listening to the panel was quite interesting. Shame I missed that.

Race thread for Close Encounters is now up (as is another one just to hold the details of the Lavecon Buckyball Race for posterity).

Wow, now there's a thread I haven't seen in a long time. Fascinating reading. Quite a lot from some chap called Raiko as well. Also - Burning Toast?!?!? - what the hell kind of name for a race series would that have been? What the hell was I drinking when I wrote that???
    Indeed, that was a curious reading. As someone coming relatively late to the party, a heartfelt "Thank you" to everyone present at the time for not having settled on the name "Whiffleball".

Originally Posted by Maya Fey View Post (Source)
    Hello.

Cheers.
    Welcome to the fun part of the Universe, hope to meet you speeding around. Fly reckless o7

Originally Posted by furrycat View Post (Source)
    No one likes hearing their own voice. Don't worry, you sound like you.
    In my case it's usually other people being worried that I sound like me. I'm just lucky my voice sounds a little more normal from the inside of the head or I'd have a hard time being comfortable with speaking around in general.

@Alec - loved your visceral description of approaching a station, the Buckyball way. And they say we Italians gesticulate too much.
    (by the way, that's totally true, can confirm.)

Hi Maya, did we speak after the Conclave on Saturday? Either way, glad you found us and look forward to seeing you in the next race. I dare say it will be mentioned in this thread but also keep an eye on http://www.buckyballracing.org.uk/index.html where the banner for the next race (currently "Close Encounters") will become a link to a new forum thread closer to the time.

o7
    Hello Alec. Sorry for not answering, I use to avoid the forums. Yeeees, I completed my first race today, and recorded it and all.
    I will have another go this evening, let see if I can do it better.
    It was so great!! Whoever chose the landing sites has to be properly congratulated. Each aproach different. Thank you so much, guys. It's really my kind of competition. I can play with the environment and challenge myself. I am sure I will end up in the last positions... but I don't care. I love this.
    By the way, the web is really cool.

Cheers.

It's been a long time coming, but the Black Riband Rebooted (or the Black Riband 2 if you prefer) is ready to go. I've got to make the banner still, and I've also to check a couple of minor details tonight (hopefully today's patch goes to plan). After that I'll post the event thread.

The Black Riband Rebooted will be a BRC Standing Smuggling Challenge beginning 30-JUN-3304.
    At the very least it will run in this new format until FD upgrade smuggling gameplay (still a possibility for Q4 I think?), but I hope it'll stand the test of time and continue for as long as I play the game.

A cut down preview of the event thread is inside the spoilers:

So What is the Black Riband?
    As a promotional stunt in the run up to their 3301 Bootlegger Challenge, mobsters Anthony 'Fat Tony' Lonnegan and Enoch 'Little Nuk' Lonnegan, aka 'The Lonnegan Brothers' created The Black Riband, an award to be held by the 'Fastest Smuggler in the Galaxy.'

But Tony and Nuk enjoyed the whole Bootlegger Challenge so much that they decided to keep the Black Riband going, turning it into a standing challenge.

The original Black Riband ran until June 3304, however participation declined over the months and years, law-changes meant there wasn't much actual smuggling involved, only highly engineered DBX and Asp-X ships had a chance of holding the record, obtaining the required commodities became easier and the corporate government of Weyl Gateway even shut down the local black market.

So the Lonnegan Brothers went back to the drawing board, rebooting the course so that smuggling into six systems with black markets is required, the potential of interdiction and attack by both other commanders and 'buckyball fans' (npcs) is higher, and a knowledge of the effects of the background simulation on rare availability and faction type on legality is beneficial. Mandatory pre-declared start times and a 24 hour cooldown will also make every run a one-shot Ironman challenge.

The new event also includes separate awards given to those who prefer non-engineered ships and recognises the classic Cobras and Lakons favoured during the early days of rares trading and smuggling, so it's not just for ships with explorer in their name any more.

A History Of The Black Riband:
    The Black Riband originally ran as a part of the Lonnegan Brothers' 3301 event The Bootlegger Challenge. The Black Riband required commanders to collect eight specific commodities whereas the main Bootlegger Challenge allowed a choice.

After the two week Bootlegger Challenge ended, the Black Riband continued, with runs being accepted right up until the launch of this replacement event.

Prior to the switch to this rebooted event, the biggest change to the Black Riband occurred during the summer of 3302 with the introduction of engineering. At the time the Black Riband was held by commander furrycat, who's 51m12s run in the DBX Black Riband had stood for several months. At the time of the switch to the rebooted Black Riband commander furrycat's run is still the fastest run in a non-engineered ship.

The final holder of the original Black Riband was commander Bruski, who made his record run of 33m23s in his DBX RazorBear on 28-AUG-3303. A list of all holders of the original Black Riband is inside the spoiler tag below.

Final Holder

Previous Holders

THE COURSE:
    • Start docked at Weyl Gateway in Alacarakmo, with an empty cargo hold.
    • Finished docked at Weyl Gateway in Alacarakmo with 20 tons of legal rare commodities sourced from any of the stations that you visited enroute.
    • In between, call at the following six delivery stations, supplying 20 tons of illicit rare commodities to each black market:
      • REDACTED in REDACTED
      • REDACTED in REDACTED
      • REDACTED in REDACTED
      • REDACTED in REDACTED
      • REDACTED in REDACTED
      • REDACTED in REDACTED
    • Make 4 tunnel drops at each of these two installations (see below for tunnel drop requirements).
      • REDACTED at REDACTED
      • REDACTED at REDACTED
    • Additionally call at a minimum of four other rare commodity supply stations to source the required illicit rare commodities (see below for a helpful commodities guide), you must purchase at least 1 ton of rare commodities at each station.
    • You may visit the six delivery stations, four+ supply stations and two installations in any order, and you may visit each one more than once if desired / necessary.

ENTRY CLASSES:
    For the Black Riband there is one combined leaderboard with no distinction made between ship classes and engineered / non-engineered ships, all runs must also be in open mode.

However, a selection of honorary awards / titles other than the Black Riband will be made for valid Black Riband runs made with specific restrictions, eg non-engineered runs (see THE AWARDS below).

These awards also include a couple of separate events run alongside the Black Riband: Little Nuk's Booze Cruise Challenge for those who dare to transport passengers while making their runs and the return of the crazy Mrs Lonnegan's Ulitimate Spa Weekend Trophy.

THE AWARDS:
    The legacy holders of these awards are the commanders who had the fastest run from the original Black Riband or Bootlegger Challenge events that met the award criteria. The legacy holders will be replaced by the first valid runs on the new course.

The 'Ultimate Spa Trophy' route hasn't changed, and so the original leaderboard and Drakhyr's record are carried over.

The Black Riband
    The main event - awarded to the fastest run.
    Legacy Holder: Bruski (RazorBear)

The Classic
    Awarded to the fastest run in a non-engineered ship.
    Legacy holder: furrycat (Black Riband)

The Zammo McGuire Memorial Shield
    Awarded to the fastest run that does not involve the transport or use of narcotics – just say no!
    Legacy Holder: Edelgard von Rhein (Null Geodesic)

The Cobra Classic Cup
    Awarded to the fastest run in a non-engineered Cobra Mk3 or Mk4.
    A standalone leaderboard will also rank all Cobra runs from both cups.
    Legacy holder: Aken B. (Millennium Faulcon)

The Cobra Challenge Cup
    Awarded to the fastest run in Cobra Mk3 or Mk4, this can be either engineered or non-engineered.
    A standalone leaderboard will also rank all Cobra runs from both cups.
    Legacy holder: Aken B. (Millennium Faulcon)

The Lucky Lakon Trophy
    Awarded to the fastest run in a Lakon Type 6, 7, 9 or 10.
    Legacy holder: Birdnose (Hot Rod Lakon)

Little Nuk's Booze Cruise Challenge
    A standalone challenge for valid Black Riband runs made whilst transporting passengers.
    Points awarded for speed, passenger satisfaction, booking numbers and luxury.
    Legacy holder: n/a

The Mrs Lonnegan's Ulitimate Spa Weekend Trophy
    The return of the (surprisingly) popular crazy standalone event from the Bootlegger Challenge – a must for Hutton Truckers and Netflix fans everywhere. Collect commodities from four of the most isolated outposts in the galaxy and give Mrs Lonnegan the weekend she deserves.
    Current Holder: Drakhyr (Black Maria) 3h16m39s

Although there's A LOT of individual awards, there's only really one main leaderboard and another with the Cobra runs on their own, so it's not as complex to join in or as difficult to administer as the list might suggest. The event awards are just to give a few more options than DBX/Asp-X for competitive runs.

I'm unsure of which ship will actually be most advantageous for the new format, it's possible that the DBX will still be optimal, but the requirement to deliver 20 tons to each black marker means there's a possibility that the larger capacity of the Asp-X, Dolphin or ever the Python may give them an edge. I've deliberately not calculated the optimal route in order to not allow my Asp-X bias to affect the event. The new Krait Mk2 will hopefully work out as a good ship for this as well - as it looks like a faster, more manoeuvrable, slightly longer jumping ship than the Python, but still with more than enough cargo space for this event.

Assuming that the DBX and Asp-X remain the best ships for the race, I'd anticipate that the record will move back to around an hour.

I brought back Mrs Lonnegan's ridiculous Ultimate Spa Trophy mainly to celebrate Limoncello Lizard and friends getting Dea Montrona Jelly unlocked again. With the jump range changes since 3301, it should be relatively simple to knock a few seconds off Drakhyr's old record!