Page 163 of 167 FirstFirst ... 158161162163164165 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 2502

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club

  1. #2431
    I have a sort of generic idea, and currently not the time to actually run it, so I'll leave this here for general discussion and possible adoption.

    The inspiration comes from the "Bavarian Clock":



    Usually, in the BB races, you start whenever you want, touch down some time later, and the elapsed time between start and touchdown is your race time. So, how about turning that on its head: fix the finish time (e.g. every hour on the hour), then start whenever you want - but you have to finish at (preferrably) or before your set finish time .

    Example:
    - race is estimated for ~30 minutes
    - you submit a start time anywhere between 10:00 and 11:00 -> your target finish time is 11:00
    - you start at 10:30, actual finish at 11:52 -> race time is 30 minutes
    - you start at 10:38, finish at 11:59:59 -> race time is 22 minutes
    - you start at 10:39, finish at 12:00:01 -> choose either the attempt is forfeit or your finish time will be taken as 13:00, so your race time would be 1:21:00

    So, it boils down to: are you as good as you think you are?

    Any takers?

    There are four "bavarian" systems in EDDB: Bava, Bavapri, Bavarigga and Bavaringoni.

  2. #2432
    Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    I have a sort of generic idea, and currently not the time to actually run it, so I'll leave this here for general discussion and possible adoption.

    The inspiration comes from the "Bavarian Clock":



    Usually, in the BB races, you start whenever you want, touch down some time later, and the elapsed time between start and touchdown is your race time. So, how about turning that on its head: fix the finish time (e.g. every hour on the hour), then start whenever you want - but you have to finish at (preferrably) or before your set finish time .

    Example:
    - race is estimated for ~30 minutes
    - you submit a start time anywhere between 10:00 and 11:00 -> your target finish time is 11:00
    - you start at 10:30, actual finish at 11:52 -> race time is 30 minutes
    - you start at 10:38, finish at 11:59:59 -> race time is 22 minutes
    - you start at 10:39, finish at 12:00:01 -> choose either the attempt is forfeit or your finish time will be taken as 13:00, so your race time would be 1:21:00

    So, it boils down to: are you as good as you think you are?

    Any takers?

    There are four "bavarian" systems in EDDB: Bava, Bavapri, Bavarigga and Bavaringoni.
    Oh I like this ... I REALLY like this!

    It reminds me a bit of "The Last Gasp" but without the horrible rasping death rattle!

  3. #2433
    Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Oh I like this ... I REALLY like this!

    It reminds me a bit of "The Last Gasp" but without the horrible rasping death rattle!
    I like it too.

    I've tried to add "one shot" mechanics to runs in my Ironbucky and Black Riband Rebooted events, and I like any other event that adds something for that same feeling.

  4. #2434
    Random ideas I've half-baked, at best:

    * Three in one: at a big round surface city, complete the same small race course in a ship, an SLF, and an SRV.
    * SRV distance jumping contest: using the boost from your departing ship, how far can you go before touching the ground?

  5. #2435
    Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    * SRV distance jumping contest: using the boost from your departing ship, how far can you go before touching the ground?
    LOL - yeah yeah, I can see it now ... Tannik Seldon succesfully completes 25 orbits of the planet and makes us all look like idiots with our paltry circa 50km submissions!

  6. #2436
    I have thought that it would be nice for somebody other than Alec to host an SRV race, so that Alec has the opportunity to take part

    I am completely open to new people hosting races (we've had a number of new hosts over the last year), though I normally would want anybody new to have taken part in at least one race, just to be confident that they have a decent idea what's expected.

    Some good ideas here, keep them coming!

  7. #2437
    My race will be simple that's for sure, I just struggle to think of all the lengths and depths people go to. I have an idea and might be able to cobble a story together around it Much like my last attempt then.

    Of course this has all been put on hold for now due to my graphics card deciding that to coincide with me having a week off work, it should stop working properly!

    rarr.


    Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    Any takers?
    Sounds crazy, I like it

  8. #2438
    Originally Posted by drakhyr View Post (Source)
    I have thought that it would be nice for somebody other than Alec to host an SRV race, so that Alec has the opportunity to take part
    Seconded!

  9. #2439
    Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    LOL - yeah yeah, I can see it now ... Tannik Seldon succesfully completes 25 orbits of the planet and makes us all look like idiots with our paltry circa 50km submissions!
    That's the beauty of it... I would naturally be excluded from the contest if I was running it.

    Originally Posted by drakhyr View Post (Source)
    I have thought that it would be nice for somebody other than Alec to host an SRV race, so that Alec has the opportunity to take part
    That makes sense. Let me think about this more. I could also host a more "traditional" SRV race, although it's tough to beat the depart-boost + tilt-boost wombo combo once you know about it.

    Some more quick spitballing:

    * I could do a multi-tier event at Wasat. In addition to the vanilla Elwood/Ferguson run (which we would probably want to exclude experienced racers from), we could do a spread of additional challenges, such as:
    * Wasat Leap (base to base without touching the ground)
    * Synthesis is for Sissies: no mid-run synthesis. (Recalling your ship for a repair pit-stop would be allowed).
    * Wasat Extended: Race to the other base on the planet, 300km or so away. Conveniently it's on the same line as the Elwood/Ferguson run, just a longer challenge for experienced drivers.

    * I would love to find a mid-gravity world to race on. Enough that boosting still matters and fall damage is manageable, but too much G for unbounded tilt-boosting to be the dominant strategy.

  10. #2440
    Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    Some more quick spitballing:

    * I could do a multi-tier event at Wasat. In addition to the vanilla Elwood/Ferguson run (which we would probably want to exclude experienced racers from), we could do a spread of additional challenges, such as:
    * Wasat Leap (base to base without touching the ground)
    * Synthesis is for Sissies: no mid-run synthesis. (Recalling your ship for a repair pit-stop would be allowed).
    * Wasat Extended: Race to the other base on the planet, 300km or so away. Conveniently it's on the same line as the Elwood/Ferguson run, just a longer challenge for experienced drivers.

    * I would love to find a mid-gravity world to race on. Enough that boosting still matters and fall damage is manageable, but too much G for unbounded tilt-boosting to be the dominant strategy.
    I actually really like the Aquarian Job or Total Recall style races where you have to land your ship somewhere, drive somewhere, board the ship, fly somewhere else, deploy, drive, board ... etc.

  11. #2441
    I hoping to include a planetary landing and SRV element to my next "less simple" race - the SRV section of the Ironbucky was a bit of a killer (literally) so I'd be aiming for a shorter SRV section this time.

    The new megaships rescue gameplay actually means that I could make my Buckybirds Are Go idea have more variety now, so it'd be good to add an SRV section to that.

    If ever run Buckybirds Are Go would still have to be a shorter MWM type race, starting on a Thursday evening and running over a single weekend - as it relies on Thargoid Thursday generating a station rescue.

  12. #2442
    Originally Posted by Ashnak View Post (Source)
    I have a sort of generic idea, and currently not the time to actually run it, so I'll leave this here for general discussion and possible adoption.

    The inspiration comes from the "Bavarian Clock":



    Usually, in the BB races, you start whenever you want, touch down some time later, and the elapsed time between start and touchdown is your race time. So, how about turning that on its head: fix the finish time (e.g. every hour on the hour), then start whenever you want - but you have to finish at (preferrably) or before your set finish time .

    Example:
    - race is estimated for ~30 minutes
    - you submit a start time anywhere between 10:00 and 11:00 -> your target finish time is 11:00
    - you start at 10:30, actual finish at 11:52 -> race time is 30 minutes
    - you start at 10:38, finish at 11:59:59 -> race time is 22 minutes
    - you start at 10:39, finish at 12:00:01 -> choose either the attempt is forfeit or your finish time will be taken as 13:00, so your race time would be 1:21:00

    So, it boils down to: are you as good as you think you are?

    Any takers?

    There are four "bavarian" systems in EDDB: Bava, Bavapri, Bavarigga and Bavaringoni.
    Given the idea seems to be popular, and I don't find the mechanic very compelling, and my grandfather was a proud Bavarian, I'd be happy to run this in October. (Might have a bit of a lager theme in addition to clocks running backwards. Beer goggles do strange things. )

  13. #2443
    Awooga awooga, latest issue of Sagittarius Eye out now, featuring the interview with myself, drakhyr, alot, furrycat, alex brentnall (and almost certainly someone I've forgotten) at Lavecon (ozric, were you in on the interview? can't remember).

    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post6861299

  14. #2444
    I really hope whoever is making this is using it for their professional portfolio.

  15. #2445
    Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    I really hope whoever is making this is using it for their professional portfolio.
    Agree, quality seems to increase exponentially with every new issue. A printed version wouldn't look half bad next to any other magazine in a kiosk (actually a lot better than most, there are lots and lots of awfully edited tosh on sale there usually).
    The Scarab ad at the end especially, that's serious business. Superb.

    And since everyone is at it apparently, a bit of updates from me too. Currently not having any especially brilliant or groundbreaking idea, I had a loose concept for something straight and simple (a la "Close Encounters", the style I like the most) involving the BRC home system, but it's still nothing more than a loose concept. Main problem for me is time, I'm going through a rough patch of life currently and available time is totally unpredictable, I could have a couple weeks or relative quiet and a lot of free time for playing, then disappear the day after to take care of the nth piece of brownie hitting the proverbial fan.
    In theory I should have one of these "quiet" weeks booked from 20 to 26-7 August, but I'm afraid I can't be too reliable on that either.