Page 133 of 142 FirstFirst ... 123129130131132133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2124

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    While we're talking about race concepts, I've been contemplating something where:

- You only get one shot at it
    - You don't find out what you're doing until you begin

I'm imagining some sort of series of "open the sealed envelope" challenges, where you have a few days to tackle each exactly once. Tricky to deal with the "proof" aspect, though, so it would require a really high level trust & integrity between racers.

The "lite" version of the above is still a series of sealed-envelope challenges, all done in the same ship, but with unlimited attempts at each sub-challenge. Maybe the "just one shot" aspect could be a special class or something.
    Interesting. Way back in 3301 I actually came up with a multi-stage quest concept along these lines entitled "Imagination Not Included". The idea was that people who wanted to do a quest would pm me and I'd send them the instructions for the first step. As they completed each step (e.g. to get somewhere, or buy something) they'd pm me an evidence screenshot and I'd issue the next set of instructions. I had a whole little story with text and images all prepared. The only problem was ... the more I proof-read it, the more pathetic I decided it was. Eventually I lost the nerve to even post the starter thread. (I've still got it tho' if anyone is REALLY bored).

(click banner for guides, hint & tips, reference lists and much much more!)

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    If there's anyone reading who wants to run a race, but doesn't have a good gimmick, I've got a race idea requiring more research time than I've been able to find. It's called Stellar Bingo. You are free to steal it.

Create a BINGO-style game board populated with way point star systems, each being a different stellar class. The point being to let racers choose their route such that it creates a winning BINGO on the board. The center "free" square of the board is the Bingo system, which is the start / finish line, and which only has an outpost (meaning no large ships).

You could run 3 classes: Single Bingo, Double Bingo, and Blackout for the crazies who like long races.
    Probably has to do with me not knowing the rules of Bingo, but I didn't understand the "create a winning BINGO on the board" part. Seems like something requiring a lot of scouting and a lot of route planning though. I'd be curious to see some brave host develop this idea, there has been a race featuring a buckyball shaped course, I suppose a bingo shaped one is rather feasible!

While we're talking about race concepts, I've been contemplating something where:

I'm imagining some sort of series of "open the sealed envelope" challenges, where you have a few days to tackle each exactly once. Tricky to deal with the "proof" aspect, though, so it would require a really high level trust & integrity between racers.

The "lite" version of the above is still a series of sealed-envelope challenges, all done in the same ship, but with unlimited attempts at each sub-challenge. Maybe the "just one shot" aspect could be a special class or something.
    Color me interested, even though I recognize the proofing part may be tricky with this.

Since there is apparently a brainstorming session going on, here's my contribution: an extremely simple and rather short race, no time bonuses, special rules or other tricks, just the two usual stock and unlimited classes. Start, visit three planetary checkpoints (in your order of choice), return to the start/finish line, the clock is the only thing you have to care for. Well, also trespasser alerts, you have to care for those as well. And stations defenses, too. Eventually there could be patrol ships getting very angry with you if you don't do your business in a timely manner, so you know, just take care. And on a last note...Barcelo Penal Colony. What do you think of that?

Ok, this was not really brainstorming, I'm only missing a banner, a leaderboard and a submission form. Preliminary name, "Prison Brake" (suggestions welcomed). If my schedule doesn't change (too much) I should be available for hosting the 7th-13th of August, or if anyone want to take on the hosting duty for any other period of time, I've no problem with that.

Let me know what you think.

If there's anyone reading who wants to run a race, but doesn't have a good gimmick, I've got a race idea requiring more research time than I've been able to find. It's called Stellar Bingo. You are free to steal it.

Create a BINGO-style game board populated with way point star systems, each being a different stellar class. The point being to let racers choose their route such that it creates a winning BINGO on the board. The center "free" square of the board is the Bingo system, which is the start / finish line, and which only has an outpost (meaning no large ships).

You could run 3 classes: Single Bingo, Double Bingo, and Blackout for the crazies who like long races.
    Originally Posted by AkenBosch View Post (Source)
    Probably has to do with me not knowing the rules of Bingo, but I didn't understand the "create a winning BINGO on the board" part. Seems like something requiring a lot of scouting and a lot of route planning though. I'd be curious to see some brave host develop this idea, there has been a race featuring a buckyball shaped course, I suppose a bingo shaped one is rather feasible!
    I guess BINGO is fairly different in the UK vs the US (and I know you're neither ). In American BINGO, everyone has their random 5x5 card(s) and marks off numbers as they are called. The numbers are called out as letter / number combinations even though there are no duplicate numbers, so for example B5, I20, N38, G49, and O64. This lets people find the numbers more quickly. A BINGO! is achieved when you have marked off a straight line of 5 numbers, whether horizontal, vertical, or diagonal. Some games require a double BINGO, which is any two lines of 5, and a Blackout game requires matching all the numbers on your card. The center spot of the card is a "free" spot that requires no number matching, so sometimes a BINGO is achieved with only 4 numbers called.

A Stellar Bingo race might modify that to have a card that looks like this:

If I was racing and wanted to make a BINGO with the marked numbers, I would need to dock at stations in systems with a primary star of the listed types: A5, F2, M0, and K6 (I just realized I got the M and K backwards). So there are no specific stations to dock at: each racer has to find what they think is the optimal route.

On the subject of race ideas, it's past time for me to ask for hosts for the next few races.

Suggested dates for the next few races are the weeks commencing 21 August, 11 September and 2 October (as always, dates can be flexible). Another alternative would be to shift those dates back a couple of weeks if Aken B wants to run his race earlier in August.

I have one idea under development that could potentially go in one of those slots. It might also be nice to include an event with SRV elements somewhere in this quarter (my idea does not include SRVs or planetary landing).

Any takers for hosts for the next few races?

Something similar was tried before: the Secret Scramble back at the beginning of last year. I wasn't around for it myself, so you'd need some of those who did take part to give their views on how fun / effective it was.

Ive got a few ideas I'm working on (when time permits) for Elite Racers. I could do a crossover.

Originally Posted by drakhyr View Post (Source)
    I have one idea under development that could potentially go in one of those slots. It might also be nice to include an event with SRV elements somewhere in this quarter (my idea does not include SRVs or planetary landing).

Any takers for hosts for the next few races?
    I have an idea that could be sorted out for one of these slots.

It would be a triathlon type race with a scramble section suitable for ships with less 20ly range, a 2-3 leg longer range section (about 130-150ly per leg to keep most ships within a jump or two of each other), and a planetary landing / SRV section. As with Glorious BAST-erds a mid-race single ship swap would be allowed.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)

It would be a triathlon type race with a scramble section suitable for ships with less 20ly range, a 2-3 leg longer range section (about 130-150ly per leg to keep most ships within a jump or two of each other), and a planetary landing / SRV section. As with Glorious BAST-erds a mid-race single ship swap would be allowed.
    Speaking of triathlon ideas ... I've been thinking for some time of running a permanent Buckyball racing challenge alongside Sag A* and Black Riband. Essentially it would consist of maybe 3 classic Buckyball Races of old. The total time would be the sum of the three individual race times. They wouldn't have to be run back to back (i.e. you could do maybe one a day) but the start time of the 3rd run would have to be within a limited time period from the start of the 1st run (maybe 5 days?). I was thinking perhaps Tunnel Vision (with simplified rules), the Elwood/Ferguson "Wasat Cup" buggyball (i.e. one ship race, one SRV race and one combined race) and The Aquarian Job. I'm open to alternative suggestions for which races to combine tho, which races would you really like to return to and have as a permanent challenge for racers new and old alike? I'm also undecided about whether to allow pilots to swap ships or do all three races in the same ship. I think it would be a regulation ship only race tho - one scoreboard for all to compete equally in.

As to new races ... I have a really simple idea for a pure SRV race but it's almost too simple to waste on one of our occasional SRV slots (I wouldn't want my simple race to mean that someone else's really brilliant SRV race had to wait for another month or so).

Here's the idea for those that want a sneak peek ...

Basically I just want to do a race that starts at a given co-ordinate with a nice little base jump and then across some flat-ish terrain before finishing with a little hill climb to another peak that's also easily verifiable via its co-ordinates. I was thinking of doing this across a crater on Mitterand Hollow finishing on the top of one of those little cratter "nipple" mounds. The only issue I have is finding somewhere that has the base-jump start (I may have to sacrifice the novelty of running on Mitterand Hollow for this ... can't decide if that's worth it).

I'm developing a standing challenge for SRV circuit racing. It's a multi-course deal and is very different than the BuggyBall racing that we've been doing up until now. I wouldn't mind running the first course as a proof-of-concept sometime in October or November.

Something similar was tried before: the Secret Scramble back at the beginning of last year. I wasn't around for it myself, so you'd need some of those who did take part to give their views on how fun / effective it was.
    I thoroughly enjoyed Secret Scramble. Though at only one shot, does that include if you blow up? Cause you might be looking at a very empty leaderboard

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    (I may have to sacrifice the novelty of running on Mitterand Hollow for this ... can't decide if that's worth it).
    No!

Elite

I guess BINGO is fairly different in the UK vs the US (and I know you're neither ).
    Thank you for the thorough explanation, now I think I got it
    And you are right, apparently I knew nothing about how bingo is played over there. We have bingo rooms in my country too but rules are rather different and derived from our classic version of the game named "Tombola".

(I may have to sacrifice the novelty of running on Mitterand Hollow for this ... can't decide if that's worth it).
    Don't tell me, I've spent ages trying to come up with an excuse to include Mitterand Hollow in a race, before finding a use for Barcelo Penal Colony. Now that I think of it, since it resides on the side of a mountain, there could be a way to include that in your idea of a srv race, but it should be quite tricky since it would mean to land on its pad, deploy the srv, dismiss the ship and get the buck out before the "trespassing alert" transforms in a "shoot on sight" notice.

P.S.: having to do a bit of testing for my upcoming idea, I can confirm that the speed approach to Mitterand Hollow is tricky on average, devious at worst, hilarious at best.

Originally Posted by Terrorsidic View Post (Source)
    Ive got a few ideas I'm working on (when time permits) for Elite Racers. I could do a crossover.
    You're on my list of "people who have been regular racers but haven't hosted one yet", so if you would like to do a Buckyball / crossover race, let me know and you'd be on the priority list for a slot on our schedule.

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)

That would be good. Do you have any preferences as to when?

As to new races ... I have a really simple idea for a pure SRV race but it's almost too simple to waste on one of our occasional SRV slots (I wouldn't want my simple race to mean that someone else's really brilliant SRV race had to wait for another month or so).
    If you really think it's too simple we could do it in between the regular race slots, badge it as a MWM event (though it doesn't have to be mid-week, of course).

Round 4 of the Elite Racers Summer League is coming up this Sunday (23rd July) at the normal time (1800 GMT), and team BRC has a slender lead (standings after the first three rounds can be found here). This time the race will be at Farseer Inc in Deciat, racing in the canyons around the engineer base, with the team event being back in Eagles. Are the regulars good to make it, and do we have enough interest to form a second team this time?

Also, for those who aren't on our Discord channel: I've done an update to the Club website. Key changes are: added links to our Discord channel; added race icon guide; substantially expanded the "How to Enter" page; added navigation to the "Past Events" page; separated out videos onto a new page and added more videos. Let me know if you spot any errors or have anything else you think should be added (the key remaining thing I would like to do is to write a new page on hosting a race).

Also, for those who aren't on our Discord channel: I've done an update to the Club website. Key changes are: added links to our Discord channel; added race icon guide; substantially expanded the "How to Enter" page; added navigation to the "Past Events" page; separated out videos onto a new page and added more videos. Let me know if you spot any errors or have anything else you think should be added (the key remaining thing I would like to do is to write a new page on hosting a race).
    Nice work on all the wesbite changes, looks great!

On a totally unrelated note from the current topics: after just a meager 1080 hours of game, I devoted myself to a bit of mining. Yes I know, I burn through game features.

Long story short, here I am in my trusty Holy Cow, repurposed to mining duties, in my search for a pristine ring. Venturing out in the black on the outskirts of the bubble, I come across a lucky streak of 14 jumps, and not a single planetary ring. Not pristine, no ring at all. Finally though, here I jump into HIP 23205, two ringed planets 2000+ ls away, I scan the first one and lo and behold, an ammonia world! Naturally, almost everything that near to the bubble must have been discovered for a long time already, so let's take a look at who the lucky explorer was:

Pleasured to have been beaten to it by a fellow buckyballer!

Page 133 of 142 FirstFirst ... 123129130131132133134135136137 ... LastLast