Page 147 of 147 FirstFirst ... 137143144145146147
Results 2,191 to 2,203 of 2203

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club

I've had a somewhat crazy race idea which I'd provisionally like to grab the January slot for.

It's working title is "The Last Gasp".

I'm gonna keep plugging at Hermaszewski for now and then I'm away from the game for nearly a week () but when I return I'll start experimenting to see if it's utter madness or actually workable.

Hint: the scoreboard will not contain any times!!!

o7

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    Clipped the landing pad's blast shield with my landing gear in an already damaged ship without shields; i.e., I failed to be elite and so I was punished with the loss of almost 2 weeks of progress / tagging. No other "play your way" profession has such arbitrary, unrealistic, and severe penalties for imperfection, but this happens to me about once a year and I'm just done with it.

In any case, I had my next race planned out for whenever there was a slot open. Anyone who has wanted to host a race but lacked an idea is free to take this and run with it, just tell Drakhyr.
    The race idea is based on a series of clips from old-school Sesame Street: the Pinball Number Count song, sung by the Pointer Sisters.

The idea is to start at any station listed for the class of ship you are flying and visit each of the other stations in any order, however you get a 60 second time reduction every time you fly between stations in sequentially numbered systems. You don't need to return to your starting station, so you stand to earn an 11 minute reduction to your time for starting in system 1 and visiting all the other systems in order, but that's not likely to be the fastest overall route.

There is a class for each ship size. Small ships fly to outposts; medium ships fly to stations; large ships fly to planetary bases. Large ships is obviously a Horizons-only class, so I was toying with making Medium ships be a no-Horizons class, and then having two leader boards for Small ships (one Horizons, one not).

https://i.imgur.com/7wbb2n5.png

Good luck to anyone who decides to host it. :)
    I'm sorry to hear that. I've not lost much exploration data but whenever I'm feeling like I need to take a break from the game I either 1) re-watch 'The Good, the Bad and the Bucky' and CMDR Alot's Sgr A* videos or 2) take a few days or a week out. I have always found that I can't stay away from the game for long, regardless of the reasons for wanting a break in the first place. It's up to you: you'll always be welcome if/when you come back. Take care o7

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    I've had a somewhat crazy race idea which I'd provisionally like to grab the January slot for.

It's working title is "The Last Gasp".

I'm gonna keep plugging at Hermaszewski for now and then I'm away from the game for nearly a week () but when I return I'll start experimenting to see if it's utter madness or actually workable.

Hint: the scoreboard will not contain any times!!!

o7
    Uhm..."The Last Gasp"....scoreboard will not contain any times......

On a different topic....I've not yet had time for some new runs in the Hermaszewski race, but I had a bit of time for faffing about with other stuff:

Made these today after the discovery of the Facer app...I've made both public, just need to search for "Buckyball" through the in-app search, in case any smartwatch owner may be interested.

Thanks for all the kind words.

I've thought hard on it; I made sure to sleep off the anger and approach the decision with a clear head and it's just the right thing to do. I've already taken a couple of extended breaks from the game, and I just need to be done and move on with other hobbies.

As my last official act, I've provided Bruski with everything he should need to take over Road Rally Racing. As soon as he gets new threads posted, I'll point the old threads at them and have them closed. CMDR Bruski is still allowed to compete in Season 1, since he did not design the courses.

I've been gaming online since 1996, and if you exclude the ones I went to work with (and in a couple cases, marrying), you lot are the best online friends I've made in that time.

You all have been great and honestly if it wasn't for you, I probably would have made this decision some time ago.

Thanks, truly.

-- Mike

I've thought hard on it; I made sure to sleep off the anger and approach the decision with a clear head and it's just the right thing to do. I've already taken a couple of extended breaks from the game, and I just need to be done and move on with other hobbies.

As my last official act, I've provided Bruski with everything he should need to take over Road Rally Racing. As soon as he gets new threads posted, I'll point the old threads at them and have them closed. CMDR Bruski is still allowed to compete in Season 1, since he did not design the courses.

I've been gaming online since 1996, and if you exclude the ones I went to work with (and in a couple cases, marrying), you lot are the best online friends I've made in that time.

You all have been great and honestly if it wasn't for you, I probably would have made this decision some time ago.

Thanks, truly.

-- Mike
    Well hell Mike, same to you man! It's been a pleasure racing with you and maybe we'll see you back here again one day, if only to say o7 and find out whether we're racing around on atmospheric planets yet?

Take care and enjoy those other hobbies!

P.S. a couple of memories for you ...

Best wishes Mike.

I really do hope some future update tempts you back, but if not then it's been great knowing you.

Thanks, truly.

-- Mike
    o7 CMDR! It's been a pleasure.

Thanks, truly.

-- Mike
    It has been a great time racing with you, and thank you for all the races you organised!
    Best wishes, and fly fast!

Wherever your life and interests will take you Jhyrryl, best of luck, it's been a real pleasure and a great time.
    And if your interests should ever bring you around these parts again someday, hopefully we'll still be here to greet you!

Take care, o7.

Thanks, truly.

-- Mike
    Alas, that is a real shame Mike, but you've got to do what's best for you. As the others have said I hope we see you again at some point in the future.

I wish you the best of luck in everything that you do.

Jhyrryl, I'll just say +1 to all of the above . We'll miss your steady flow of race ideas. Enjoy whatever else you're doing, and if you decide to come back at some point you will be welcome.

Thanks, truly.

-- Mike
    Dude... sung a few verses of this song myself. Sorry you're part of the choir now.

But, as a prior member of the absentee Buckyballer club, I would like to point out and echo what you said about the players of the BRC being some of the finest human beings in gaming. I've wondered from the start how an online gaming community could be so consistently positive, creative, good natured and just genuinely nice when so many end up going the other way. It's never been just a one-time thing, either... Looking back, you've been Buckyballing since wayyyy back in October 2014, pre-dating the BRC by a good long time.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...l=1#post906396

Three whole years ago. You even beat out Johnny-Come-Lately slackers like Drahkyr, Alec, Raiko and Cookiehole.

Sounds like you've come to the sad conclusion to divorce yourself from a negative influence in your life, but you're not forgetting the good part of it. No matter how much the direction of the game may frustrate you, the illogical design decisions, the endless parade of bugs, Buckyballers managed to have fun in spite of it. Whether or not you come back to the game, you were a part of that. That won't ever go away.

Bucky salutes you.

(everbody here, really!)

Thanks, truly.

-- Mike
    I'm sorry to hear that you're leaving and hope that the call of the black will tempt you back into your cockpit again.

Thanks for all your great races and positive attitude.

07, CMDR. You will be missed.

Page 147 of 147 FirstFirst ... 137143144145146147