Page 140 of 140 FirstFirst ... 130136137138139140
Results 2,086 to 2,100 of 2100

Thread: Buckyball Racing Club

Originally Posted by Raiko View Post (Source)
    Regarding the Wasat Cup course, and Jhyrryl's recommendation to use it in reverse if I use it - does anyone more proficient at SRV racing than me (everyone! lol) know whether there's a particular advantage to running that course one way or the other?
    SushiCW would be one the ask about that, holding the record AFAIK with 10m34s in the Ferguson-Elwood direction.

EDIT: not sushicw/tannik, it was Nookie Mr.Smith from the Candy Crew Guild?
    SushiCW only got 11m22s

Wasat it is then.

I've short-listed some nearby systems to take a look at for the scramble race section, and the position of Wasat in relation to my preferred long-range section systems looks okay, so hopefully I'll have everything ready other than a story write-up in a few days.

Regarding the Wasat Cup course, and Jhyrryl's recommendation to use it in reverse if I use it - does anyone more proficient at SRV racing than me (everyone! lol) know whether there's a particular advantage to running that course one way or the other? I did think that I could allow runs in either direction. As the two bases are so close together, I thought it would even give the option to 'divert' if you're overshooting your orbital approach slightly.

I seem to remember from the original race that it's quite flat towards the end, so in reverse it might be easier to gain lots of speed to fly straight over the big craters. On the other hand, the really big crater is near the start if you run in the original direction (it was a real shock during my first run) and I assume that it could be used to gain loads of speed if you base jumped into it.
    The main thing I remember is that in Furguson -> Elwood direction there's a pretty big crater right before the base at the end, meaning if you run it backwards you start with a crater to either skirt around or dive into.

For kicks, here's a youtube video from my very first SRV rally run (which happened to be Wasat):

The terrain has changed since then (not just the detail, the shape too), and I've also gotten a lot better. Also, the music still rocks, I need to use that again somewhere.

EDIT: Fine, I'll also post the 2nd-place run from the EliteRacers Horizons Series.

EDIT Again: Which reminds me... repairs.

One thing I liked (in retrospect) about the EliteRacers Horizons Series Rally was that repairs were *not* allowed. I think this constraint should probably be brought back for some SRV races, at least as an optional "advanced" class, since it means you have to balance "go as fast as possible" with "don't blow up." Repair synthesis, when allowed, mostly removes the danger of exploding due to overspeed. I guess the counter-argument is that collision damage is very inconsistent and unpredictable, so leaving it in may become more of a random factor than a skill-based one. It's something to think about regardless.
    CMDR Tannik Seldon - The "Million-to-One Chance"
    [Youtube]

Originally Posted by drakhyr View Post (Source)
    I have updated the website to show the schedule from option 1 above, including pencilling in Hope & Glory for 4-12 Nov.
    4-12 Nov? That'll work.
    CMDR Hanekura Shizuka - Explorer, Racer
    Expert - Entrepreneur - Elite
    A* Challenge -- Sol to Sagittarius A*. Standard Class - 8:32:01. Unlimited Class - 5:49:35
    Sol to Beagle Point: 15:36:36. Sol to Oevasy SG-Y D0: 15:53:09

Rules for Hope and Glory (change name to Land of Hope and Glory? Remembered the movie, but got to read up on Elgar and on the song in question. Sorry, I'm not from the UK.)

1. You will need Horizons for this, as this involves SRV racing. You will also need some method of screen capture, recording, and dissemination, either through streaming on some site such as Twitch, through posting on Youtube, or by recording the file, then sending the file by email. (As the files should be small – if you’re taking more than 5 minutes to run this, either something's gone wrong or you're submitting something for a blooper reel – it shouldn’t be a problem.)
    2. Take your ship to Dav’s Hope. It can be found in Hyades Sector DR-V C2-23, A5, coordinates 44.818 / -31.389. Note that Dav’s Hope isn’t selectable as a location, as it is an abandoned settlement. Land your ship outside of the settlement.
    3. Drive your SRV to the main gates at the front of Dav's Hope. Stop within the main entrance gate. This is the starting (and finish) line; this is where you will start your run. More information on Dav's Hope can be found here and here. At this time, I recommend checking your materials within inventory to see if you can fit 30 more items within.
    4. Once done, I recommend going into the main menu at this time, making sure to turn on your recording or streaming, then going back into the game in either solo mode or private group. The reason for this… some of the materials you’re required to collect have a habit of rolling sometimes, and the sooner you get to them, the better. Because, well… that’s the point of this race: collecting all of the materials in the station. And, if someone else in open play or in private group has picked up the materials, that’s going to be marked as a penalty. Also, if it is in open, it is likely that such behavior will annoy other CMDRs there to gather materials.
    5. From the moment you accelerate from the gate, the clock starts.
    6. There are 10 sets of materials in the station, set at various locations within. Start at the entrance gate to Dav’s Hope. Collect all 10 sets of materials as fast as possible, then race back to the main gate. The clock will continue to run until the SRV has crossed the main gate again.
    7. Materials set within the station by entities other than Frontier Developments will not count. The places where these materials materialize are marked and known, as shown in the link included above.
    8. If you fail to collect all 10 sets of materials within the station, you will be assessed the following penalty, based on the number missed:
    a. 1 missed: 5 second penalty
    b. 2 missed: 15 second penalty
    c. 3 missed: 30 second penalty
    d. 4 missed: 50 second penalty
    e. 5 missed: 75 second penalty
    f. Any additional missed: an added 30 second penalty.
    9. Yes, I realize this means that a person could potentially turn in a time of 3 minutes and 45 seconds just by turning their name in. Anyone who turns in a time of 3 minutes and 45 seconds will be officially given the Couch Potato award.
    10. When you turn in your result, please turn in the following:
    a. Forum name
    b. CMDR name
    c. SRV name
    d. Estimated raw time
    e. Number of materials collected
    f. Estimated revised time
    g. Either the video of the run itself, or a link to the posted run
    h. Favorite Land Racing Vehicle (Real or fictional)
    11. If there is a tie to the nearest second – and, given the shortness of this race, there may be – any tie will be broken with the use of a stopwatch by the race organizer and consultation with other BRC officials.
    12. A leaderboard will be posted and updated daily; however, times will not be posted until the race is completed.

Overall, I fully expect the winning time to be less than a minute in length. This is a very short race, to the point that I wonder if a week is really needed for this; that said, it’s a hard circuit to get right. It’s going to feel like Mario Kart going through the track in that there’s a lot of obstacles that can get in the way – and that’s largely the point.
    CMDR Hanekura Shizuka - Explorer, Racer
    Expert - Entrepreneur - Elite
    A* Challenge -- Sol to Sagittarius A*. Standard Class - 8:32:01. Unlimited Class - 5:49:35
    Sol to Beagle Point: 15:36:36. Sol to Oevasy SG-Y D0: 15:53:09

Once you visit Dav's Hope and scan the data point(s) the site appears on your nav tab, so I assume it's selectable on return visits.

Originally Posted by SushiCW View Post (Source)
    One thing I liked (in retrospect) about the EliteRacers Horizons Series Rally was that repairs were *not* allowed. I think this constraint should probably be brought back for some SRV races, at least as an optional "advanced" class, since it means you have to balance "go as fast as possible" with "don't blow up." Repair synthesis, when allowed, mostly removes the danger of exploding due to overspeed. I guess the counter-argument is that collision damage is very inconsistent and unpredictable, so leaving it in may become more of a random factor than a skill-based one. It's something to think about regardless.
    Thanks for posting the videos.

I'll be including some sort of incentive not to make repairs (ship or SRV) during the Triathlon race, but it won't be compulsory. The time difference between a good SRV driver like you and a bad one like me is already so big that the SRV section is going to dominate the race more than I'd like. Even between the faster drivers there usually seems to end up a difference of up to ten minutes, and I think that a compulsory no repair rule would widen the gap, rather than narrow it. I used loads of repairs on the Candycrew Rally and still finished miles behind lol. I did do 'better' later, but didn't actually survive to the finish line again - I was concentrating on getting faster even if it meant destroying my SRV.

I do think that having the SRV run as a part of a larger race will add some caution to runs though. If you explode you can't just start driving again, even if you do the SRV section right at the start, you'll need to jump back to the starting station - and that risk is harder to manage in a bouncing SRV than in a damaged starship.

In the first BRC Buggyball, Robin had a 1 minute penalty per synthesis repair to discourage repairs, so I might go with that, but as I say I am conscious that it would likely widen the range of SRV times.

Typing all this has made me think that I'll probably have to put the SRV section at the beginning of the race, rather something that can be slotted in anywhere. Then the three sections will each be able to have a leaderboard (although a full run of all three disciplines would still be needed to get onto the leaderboards).

Thanks for posting the videos.

I'll be including some sort of incentive not to make repairs (ship or SRV) during the Triathlon race, but it won't be compulsory. The time difference between a good SRV driver like you and a bad one like me is already so big that the SRV section is going to dominate the race more than I'd like. Even between the faster drivers there usually seems to end up a difference of up to ten minutes, and I think that a compulsory no repair rule would widen the gap, rather than narrow it. I used loads of repairs on the Candycrew Rally and still finished miles behind lol. I did do 'better' later, but didn't actually survive to the finish line again - I was concentrating on getting faster even if it meant destroying my SRV.

I do think that having the SRV run as a part of a larger race will add some caution to runs though. If you explode you can't just start driving again, even if you do the SRV section right at the start, you'll need to jump back to the starting station - and that risk is harder to manage in a bouncing SRV than in a damaged starship.

In the first BRC Buggyball, Robin had a 1 minute penalty per synthesis repair to discourage repairs, so I might go with that, but as I say I am conscious that it would likely widen the range of SRV times.

Typing all this has made me think that I'll probably have to put the SRV section at the beginning of the race, rather something that can be slotted in anywhere. Then the three sections will each be able to have a leaderboard (although a full run of all three disciplines would still be needed to get onto the leaderboards).
    I assume video is required for this. If so, you could add a zero-throttle requirement to the use of any synthesis. That would discourage recklessness among the fastest racers (who do that stuff in the air), while having little impact on the lesser-skilled ones, who are often already at a standstill when repairing.

Originally Posted by Jhyrryl View Post (Source)
    I assume video is required for this. If so, you could add a zero-throttle requirement to the use of any synthesis. That would discourage recklessness among the fastest racers (who do that stuff in the air), while having little impact on the lesser-skilled ones, who are often already at a standstill when repairing.
    Rather than imposing time penalties for each repair, I'm just going to make the overall winner of the event the CMDR who completed the whole race the fastest without shields and without making repairs.

That can be handled with just before and after shots of the available synthesis shots from the inventory and the "credits spent on repairs" from the statistics.

So there will be a full leaderboard of all times with or without shields / repairs, but the main event will be the "Iron Bucky Trophy" for shield-less runs, without repairs and possibly in open only.

Hi everyone, a couple of things for you.

1. I've gotten the 38 (a loose group formed from watching Ed's lunchtime biscuit streams) in to a few races before and since Lavecon, where we managed to get a few of them to race (obviously Purrcat and Orange Spark are no strangers to racing) they have been inspired to organise a race. If you ever fancy another Long Haul style race, then check it out over here on the Community Events page.

2. I did some tidying the other day moved some things and found that I completely forgot I have 2 Lavecon paintjob pack vouchers. I did say at Lavecon I was going to think of giving them out as prizes for races, but I'm not sure of the best way to do it. As I have 2, should they be split over 2 races so no one person is counted out (unless the next host went to Lavecon), do we raffle them away just between regulars, or something else. Thoughts?

Elite

Hey, everyone!

I'm taking a month-long hiatus from gaming, and general recreational computer use, in order to give my wrists a chance to heal. I played waaay to much Ultima Online back in the day (hard to believe the game's 20 years old), and in the process gave myself a pretty nasty case of tendinitis. My Netflix queue is full of shows I've been meaning to watch, Crunchyroll is on tap, and I plan to lurk the forums on my iPad at work, even if I won't be actively posting very often.

As for Inga... she's presently recovering from her near brush with death, desperately trying to ignore the itching of progenitor cell treatments regrowing the skin she lost, and having her chief of staff post mount plaques on all her ships that read, "Our Company motto, 'If you're not willing to wreck your ship, you're not really in a hurry,' should only be followed when we're being PAID to hurry."

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)
    Hey, everyone!

I'm taking a month-long hiatus from gaming, and general recreational computer use, in order to give my wrists a chance to heal. I played waaay to much Ultima Online back in the day (hard to believe the game's 20 years old), and in the process gave myself a pretty nasty case of tendinitis. My Netflix queue is full of shows I've been meaning to watch, Crunchyroll is on tap, and I plan to lurk the forums on my iPad at work, even if I won't be actively posting very often.

As for Inga... she's presently recovering from her near brush with death, desperately trying to ignore the itching of progenitor cell treatments regrowing the skin she lost, and having her chief of staff post mount plaques on all her ships that read, "Our Company motto, 'If you're not willing to wreck your ship, you're not really in a hurry,' should only be followed when we're being PAID to hurry."
    Enjoy your rest. Tendinitis is truly dedication to the cause!
    Veteran of Lugh, Bast and Hutton Orbital

We fought for freedom, life and mugs

Winner, Hauler Private/PVT Buckyball 9

Hey, everyone!

Take care and enjoy the rest, the BRC will still be here when you get back, even if we have Oresrians giving cookiehole a run for his money by then.
    o7

(click this image to discover the best of the forum)

What are people's thoughts about wanting to know things from the Beta? relating to the BRC.

Hey, everyone!

Rest up well and we look forward to seeing your brilliant stories again soon

Elite

Get all the rest you need, good health before everything else!

(I hear you on the Netflix queue, I have a very long list of things to watch too, just waiting for me to get sick sooner or later...)

Hey, everyone!

Take care and rest as much as you need; health comes before fun. I sometimes take breaks of a couple of days due to eye strain but have not stopped playing for more than a fortnight for any reason since the game was launched in 2014, though. If I had to take a month off I'd probably end up trying to get games of ED: RPG or writing some fan fiction (although a lot of typing might be worse for your wrists than playing the game).
    Speaking of ED: RPG, I've been creating outlines for a couple of adventures (which will need balancing, as I've only been able to go off the download adventure 'The Worst Intentions' and a playthrough of it with the Critical Twits, The Lave Radio crew's podcasts and the sneak peeks on the ED: RPG website https://www.edrpg.co.uk/ ). I am completely inexperienced as a GM and would need to use something like Skype or a Google hangout (which I am also inexperienced with) to run them. If anyone is interested in a game or seeing what I'm working on, let me know as I have a short campaign outline that will fit in a forum PM to give you an idea of the setting (it's an actual in-game location on the Imperial frontier, well away from player minor factions and Powerplay). I've pre-ordered at Competent level, so I'm hoping to get a physical copy of the Core Manual in a month or so and should get the pdf on release (firm dates have not been given, just yet). If my adventures (or GM'ing ability) are hopeless, though, better to say sooner rather than later as it's a lot of work to put them together and I can just concentrate on creating characters as a player or stick to Elite: Dangerous itself. (I do still prefer playing Elite: Dangerous to a tabletop RPG and Buckyball racing is something that you can only do in-game).
    The Buckyball Racing Club presents: Prison Brake

Page 140 of 140 FirstFirst ... 130136137138139140