Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9121314

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: VR minimum specification for Elite Dangerous (DK2)

Hi,
    I am a newbie too. I downloaded an X52 Profile for ED. Do a search for X52EliteV223. Hat 1 works the menus up down within the game. I mapped e and q to rotary 1 in the bands mode and button E as the Select button. I works really well for me. I tried to use VoiceAssist but couldnt get it to work for me. The last issue for me is the galaxy map, which is a prime pain in the a**e in VR.

For the galaxy map, I found the best approach is to map the galaxy map controls to your joystick/hotas. I've got translation controls mapped to the hat, angle controls mapped to the stick, zoom to buttons, select to the trigger, and so on. It isn't perfect, since there are a few things I still seem to need the mouse for, but it's 100% better.

And just FYI, I was playing on medium settings, DK2 on an I7 with 8 gigs and an nvidia760, and it was generally like glass. I've since upgraded to 16 gigs and a 780 and was able to increase several settings to high. I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but I haven't needed the top-end hardware to enjoy VR.

I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone is looking...

My old GTX 960 was unusable with my Rift Touch, but I was given a GeForce GTX 1050Ti. Whilst the card works well with other less graphically-intensive programs, it will not cope with Elite Dangerous. Should it be able to do so with a change of settings, or should I go for a 1080? My cpu is a 4 core i5-6600k @ 3.5GHz.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

I guess it should be playable on vr low, no supersampling.

How would Lenovo Explorer's performance on a GTX 1050 4GB be?

I can't to find the answer anywhere. I know that the card is supposedly below the requirements but I also know that it handles WMR and some steam vr, and that people are playing games smoothly, for a 1050, but considering that Elite Dangerous is graphic intensive and I don't want to risk getting the Explorer before knowing that it actually works, because ED is the only game I play these days.

My system handles ED on Ultra settings on a 1920x1080 screen quite well, 60 to 40 FPS around stations. Full specs below:

CPU: 7t Gen Intel Core i5 7300HQ 2.5Ghz
    RAM: 16GB at 2400MHz
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 4GB of Dedicated GDDR5 RAM (can share up to 8)
    SSD: 120 GB

The GTX980 is really the bare minimum for elite. I need to upgrade to a better card.
    On planets or guardian places the framerate drops below 90fps many
    times and that's not good and makes you after a while sick.
    Sometimes it already have hicups in big space stations.
    In desktop mode things run perfect.

I confirmed that by enable ctrl-f frame counter.

Using HTC Vive. with I7-4790K and more then enough system memory.
    I hope the add soon a realtime desktop / VR switch mode.

Originally Posted by RRayStar View Post (Source)
    I hope the add soon a realtime desktop / VR switch mode.
    I don't know if this is what you mean but I did see in Exigious' excellent "50 facts about Elite: Dangerous" video that, if you start Elite in VR mode, you can switch back to desktop mode at any time by simply changing the in-game 3D graphics settings.

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    I don't know if this is what you mean but I did see in Exigious' excellent "50 facts about Elite: Dangerous" video that, if you start Elite in VR mode, you can switch back to desktop mode at any time by simply changing the in-game 3D graphics settings.
    I tried that at some point, it never worked for me. Unless i not found the rigth setting.
    It's just crasy that you need to change with default elite so many settings to simple switch between desktop or VR.
    Also how do you then switch back from desktop mode in VR without restart ?

I still not really tried EDprofiler anymore. It can be more easy then using that. If the devs want.

Originally Posted by RRayStar View Post (Source)
    I tried that at some point, it never worked for me. Unless i not found the rigth setting.
    It's just crasy that you need to change with default elite so many settings to simple switch between desktop or VR.
    Also how do you then switch back from desktop mode in VR without restart ?

I still not really tried EDprofiler anymore. It can be more easy then using that. If the devs want.
    If your main problem is "so many settings to simple switch between desktop or VR" (i.e. different graphics quality settings, bindings, HUD colours, gamma correction, etc, etc) then you really should try drkaii's EDProfiler - it's brilliant and basically solves those problems.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9121314