Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: VR minimum specification for Elite Dangerous (DK2)

Double post removed due to bad network.

Originally Posted by Pecisk View Post (Source)
    Is this specific i5 4 cores? Usually they aren't.
    Yes it is: http://ark.intel.com/m/products/7504...specifications

Originally Posted by Pecisk View Post (Source)
    Is this specific i5 4 cores? Usually they aren't.
    For mobile chips, you are correct.

For desktop chips, i5s are usually quad without HT.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Originally Posted by Zac Antonaci View Post (Source)
    Greetings Commanders,

Many of you have been asking about the minimum system requirements for VR in Elite Dangerous, including Horizons, so here they are:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980 with 4GB or better
    Network: Broadband Internet Connection
    Hard Drive: 8 GB available space

We are passionate about VR and Elite Dangerous is leading the way in cutting edge VR software development. This is what we consider to be a minimum spec to have a good experience on forthcoming consumer VR headsets.

As most of you are aware we currently support HTC Vive and the Oculus rift 0.5 SDK. We continue to work with Oculus on support for their more recent SDKs, and will let you know if and when there is more to announce.
    re: i7-3770K - is a (stock clocked) i7-2600K /2700K "too slow" or are you recommending a system with PCI Express 3.0 as a minimum?

So you guys have given up on AMD?

(Noticed that the front page now highlight gameworks and no longer mention AMD).

Originally Posted by encrypted View Post (Source)
    16GB of ram ... ? Why?
    And it's just the minimum requirements. So what is the recommended amount of memory for VR Horizons? 32GB? 64GB?

Originally Posted by Arubeto View Post (Source)
    And it's just the minimum requirements. So what is the recommended amount of memory for VR Horizons? 32GB? 64GB?
    And ditto re: the GTX 980 ... so what's recommended?

There are currently only two better cards in existence according to the Tom's hardware hierarchy, the 980Ti and the Titan Z.

Surely those spec's must be "recommended" and not "minimum"?

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    That's what I was thinking. But if they meant recommended then the i7 3770 seems to low end unless Elite Dangerous doesn't need fancy processing power.

16GB of ram ... ? Why?
    Based on RAM usage i'm seeing for 2.0 beta; 16GB is probably to help with disk caching when loading large planetary textures.. This is another step towards reducing frame rate drops ..

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Originally Posted by cherbert View Post (Source)
    That's what I was thinking. But if they meant recommended then the i7 3770 seems to low end unless Elite Dangerous doesn't need fancy processing power.
    3770K isnt' exactly low end; i7-4770K is only about 10% faster, and the i7-6700K is on the order of ~ 30-35% faster overall. A lot of that can be closed by OC'ing the 3770K a little bit.. 3770K is probably mid-range+ these days (i.e. able to hang with an i5-6600K in many cases -- see here: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/551?vs=1544 ).

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    And ditto re: the GTX 980 ... so what's recommended?

There are currently only two better cards in existence according to the Tom's hardware hierarchy, the 980Ti and the Titan Z.

Fury X and Fury are also faster except of some titels with insane tesselation (which can be lowered by driver without making a difference in quality for amd cards). We have to look for 1440p and 4k performance not 1080p.

16GB of ram ... ? Why?
    Textures? They will be streamed in/out of VRAM.

Interesting how people here go like :"980? That's extreme... 970 is fine..."

I'm sorry? It's not a negotiation... That's the Recommended Minimum and I am sure that's correct.
    Why?

The system mentioned here is exactly what I am running currently, with my Oculus DK2.
    I run almost everything on Ultra. Although I wonder still if AA is actually adding anything to VR as it seems not to work.
    Considering that, you might be fine without it, which would lower your need.

But I still have FPS drops in Supercruise and around stations... I can't maintain 60FPS all the time.

Now here's some stuff I might share:

1. I used to run an i5 before I upgraded to this i7 3770K.
    I upgraded, because I had Judder all the bloody time. So I can tell you.. it's the Minimum. Lower Graphical Settings didn't fix anything for me.

2. I'm ONLY running a DK2. Let's keep in mind that a VR headset requires Double Rendering. On a DK2 the resolution is 960 x 1080 per eye.
    On the Vive or the Oculus CV1 the Resolution is jumping up: to 1080x1200 per eye.

Also the Vive runs at 90HZ and the DK2 runs at 60HZ

Both changes will not just increase the required GPU power.. it pretty much exponentially grows it, because it has to render the game twice. So the increase in demanded processing power is increased twice.
    This is not even exact science, but it's clear to me that you will need some pretty damn solid Processing power.

ANyway.. that's my 2 cents.

I was planning on Upgrading.. as I realised that my current system wouldn't be enough for VR in 2016.
    Seems I was right.

p.s.: I'm not even playing Horizons yet.. no idea what that will do. but I expect that it will increase the needed GPU power.

Could we please get the AMD equivalent graphics card for this recommendation

Originally Posted by Zac Antonaci View Post (Source)
    Many of you have been asking about the minimum system requirements for VR in Elite Dangerous, including Horizons, so here they are:

@Zac, will it be possible to do VR without 3D (stereoscopy)? About 10% of people cannot see 3D anyway, so it would be wasteful for them to render two views. Will that reduce the hardware requirements?

My machine meets/beats most of the requirements. However, I have a pair of Asus Strix GTX970 cards, SLi linked. Does this meet the needs for VR?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast