Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: VR minimum specification for Elite Dangerous (DK2)

I think what we really need to clear out here is whether SLI will work good for VR or not.
    2 x 970 will beat 980 dead out of the water - no questions.
    But Horizons and VR needs to support it.
    And as I read in this thread so many of us will be better off getting a second 970 in stead of upgrading to 980.

Can we please have this answered?
    It's kinda important... -.-

Originally Posted by Confidenze View Post (Source)
    I think what we really need to clear out here is whether SLI will work good for VR or not.
    2 x 970 will beat 980 dead out of the water - no questions.
    But Horizons and VR needs to support it.
    And as I read in this thread so many of us will be better off getting a second 970 in stead of upgrading to 980.

Can we please have this answered?
    It's kinda important... -.-
    I would like to know this as well. Can some folks with an SLI 970 setup comment on performance in ED and the Rift? I've never run an SLI setup before but am certainly considering throwing in another 970, at least to hold me over until the Pascal cards arrive.

What you guys should be asking is if gameworksVR will be implemented. Not sli. Conventional sli has no place in VR. VRsli is part of a package of measures that form the API extensions known collectively as gameworksVR (liquidVR for AMD users). That's what you need implemented for multiple cards.

Also the fact a 970 works with dk2 doesn't mean it'll work with the consumer version - you have to factor the increased resolution and refresh rate of the consumer headsets.

I'm glad I haven't sold my DK2! 1080p VR is enough for me, hopefully it will be still supported!

Just to let you guys know, Cmdr Falcon from FD has possted some clarifications on the newsletter thread if you take a look over there. He mentions that lower spec graphics cards will still work with VR headsets, but they may not maintain 90+FPS in 90% of situations which is the benchmark that they are supposed to follow (presumably to avoid people feeling sick and/or poor experience).

Originally Posted by CMDR Saari View Post (Source)
    I would like to know this as well. Can some folks with an SLI 970 setup comment on performance in ED and the Rift? I've never run an SLI setup before but am certainly considering throwing in another 970, at least to hold me over until the Pascal cards arrive.
    I ran 970 SLI for a while with a DK2. (Sold the DK2 recently waiting for the CV1..)

The short answer is that it's a definite improvement, but it's not as much as an improvement as SLI typically is for a monitor setup. It worked well for me, but I would have bought a 980Ti had they been available at the time.

The longer technical answer is that to sustain 75 or 90fps for the DK2/CV1 you need to have a response time of <13.3ms (75) or 11.1ms (90) from when you move your head to when you see the next frame. Where SLI can be a bit of a handicap is that it introduces two new latencies over a single card: 1. (Typically) - the PCI express lanes are now half speed (x8 vs x16) introducing additional time to copy textures from RAM to the card. 2. The frame "copy time" between the two cards.

If a GTX 980 can render a frame in 10ms, and a single GTX 970 renders it in 12ms.. GTX 970 SLI may 'render' in ~7ms (2x GPUs are not as efficient due to drivers, system, etc), and you still need to add time (i.e. 1-2ms) for copying that frame between the two GPUs, which means the GPU response time for SLI 970s might be 8-9ms, or only 10-20% better than a single GTX 980.

That 10-20% latency improvement might be enough to give you the settings you want, but it's significantly less than the ~ 40-60% monitor FPS improvement most people are thinking of.

Originally Posted by Zac Antonaci View Post (Source)
    Greetings Commanders,

Many of you have been asking about the minimum system requirements for VR in Elite Dangerous, including Horizons, so here they are:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980 with 4GB or better
    Network: Broadband Internet Connection
    Hard Drive: 8 GB available space

We are passionate about VR and Elite Dangerous is leading the way in cutting edge VR software development. This is what we consider to be a minimum spec to have a good experience on forthcoming consumer VR headsets.

As most of you are aware we currently support HTC Vive and the Oculus rift 0.5 SDK. We continue to work with Oculus on support for their more recent SDKs, and will let you know if and when there is more to announce.
    Can not see anyone else asking, but what ED graphic settings are FD using with these specs in mind?

Here's the thing with VR, at least in the current state: Recommended and minimum are going to be pretty closely intertwined. Minimum spec for VR is going to require that you are able to run the game faster than the recommended spec for 2D, in most instances. 90HZ, stereoscopic, etc. "Recommended" is going to be "as fast as you can possibly make it"

Originally Posted by Javert View Post (Source)
    Just to let you guys know, Cmdr Falcon from FD has possted some clarifications on the newsletter thread if you take a look over there. He mentions that lower spec graphics cards will still work with VR headsets, but they may not maintain 90+FPS in 90% of situations which is the benchmark that they are supposed to follow (presumably to avoid people feeling sick and/or poor experience).
    Could you link/quote it? Can't find the post.

Originally Posted by Arubeto View Post (Source)
    Could you link/quote it? Can't find the post.
    I think he means this ...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...=1#post3199697

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Thank you.

Originally Posted by Xebec View Post (Source)
    I ran 970 SLI for a while with a DK2. (Sold the DK2 recently waiting for the CV1..)

The short answer is that it's a definite improvement, but it's not as much as an improvement as SLI typically is for a monitor setup. It worked well for me, but I would have bought a 980Ti had they been available at the time.

<snip>
    This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Thank you, Commander!

I guess for now I'll just stick with my 970, which works just fine with the DK2 - even with Horizons - and then reevaluate the situation when the CV1 is closer to launch. Hopefully those next-gen GPUs that are supposed to be a significant improvement will be coming out around the same time.

Oh no....this info broke my heart

I've saved up for the Rift CV and just broke my wallet buying a gtx 970 because of the info from Oculus. I had it all planned for a glorious entry into the spaceage of VR, and now....there is no way in hell I can afford (or prioritize) buying a gtx980 for the next couple of years without getting a divorce

Personal experience here.

Running Horizons on the DK2 with this spec

Win 7 pro 64bit
    AMD FX6300 black edition st stock 3.5ghz
    8gb ram
    AMD Sapphire 7870 OC 2GB
    Kingston 250gb SSD

And apart from the occasional hiccup here and there the game is running great.

Get's a little bit laggy occasionally but I'm more than happy with the performance.

So, there's hope out there.

Originally Posted by CMDR Falcon View Post (Source)
    Hey everyone,

It's worth noting that this is what we are recommending when you are running VR, due to the fact that we need to try and maintain more than 90fps on duel 1080p screens (or something similar) in 90%+ situations.

In our testing a system with this spec should be able to do that. This does not mean that you cannot play ED in VR with a lower spec system, but there is a chance that you might not be able to maintain 90+fps in most situations.

It's worth noting that our specs are not far above the minimum Oculus spec here: https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/powering-the-rift/ or the NVIDIA spec here: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/tech...m-requirements

I hope that helps. Fly safe CMDR's! o7

Support- Falcon

I posted this in a different thread, but you can see the load difference of what video RAM/CPU etc ED is using between a 4k monitor/ DK2 32bit 1.4 version and 64bit Horizons Beta

It's just a rough stitch together so apologies for the quality

Name:  4k 64bit Horizones - 32bit - DK2.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  163.7 KB

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast