Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 199

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: VR minimum specification for Elite Dangerous (DK2)

  1. #61
    Originally Posted by Zac Antonaci View Post (Source)
    Greetings Commanders,

    Many of you have been asking about the minimum system requirements for VR in Elite Dangerous, including Horizons, so here they are:

    • OS: Windows 7/8/10 64 bit
    • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770K Quad Core CPU or better / AMD FX 4350 Quad Core CPU or better
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 980 with 4GB or better
    • Network: Broadband Internet Connection
    • Hard Drive: 8 GB available space

    We are passionate about VR and Elite Dangerous is leading the way in cutting edge VR software development. This is what we consider to be a minimum spec to have a good experience on forthcoming consumer VR headsets.

    As most of you are aware we currently support HTC Vive and the Oculus rift 0.5 SDK. We continue to work with Oculus on support for their more recent SDKs, and will let you know if and when there is more to announce.

    Can you say if the release headsets will allow fallback lockins to 60 and 75 hz instead of 90hz to allow for some lower end HW?

  2. #62
    Originally Posted by Xebec View Post (Source)
    I ran 970 SLI for a while with a DK2. (Sold the DK2 recently waiting for the CV1..)

    The short answer is that it's a definite improvement, but it's not as much as an improvement as SLI typically is for a monitor setup. It worked well for me, but I would have bought a 980Ti had they been available at the time.

    The longer technical answer is that to sustain 75 or 90fps for the DK2/CV1 you need to have a response time of <13.3ms (75) or 11.1ms (90) from when you move your head to when you see the next frame. Where SLI can be a bit of a handicap is that it introduces two new latencies over a single card: 1. (Typically) - the PCI express lanes are now half speed (x8 vs x16) introducing additional time to copy textures from RAM to the card. 2. The frame "copy time" between the two cards.

    If a GTX 980 can render a frame in 10ms, and a single GTX 970 renders it in 12ms.. GTX 970 SLI may 'render' in ~7ms (2x GPUs are not as efficient due to drivers, system, etc), and you still need to add time (i.e. 1-2ms) for copying that frame between the two GPUs, which means the GPU response time for SLI 970s might be 8-9ms, or only 10-20% better than a single GTX 980.

    That 10-20% latency improvement might be enough to give you the settings you want, but it's significantly less than the ~ 40-60% monitor FPS improvement most people are thinking of.
    Would you say SLI helps with judder or just makes a difference in lag? Currently I get judder with a single 970 while in space dock. Not too much of a problem on the surface with the Horizon beta.

  3. #63
    Originally Posted by Star Lion View Post (Source)
    Like many i bought a 970 as per recomended for VR. I dont want to sell it at a loss for getting a 980. The best FD can do is work with nvidia to implement VR sli, that way each 970 renders each display independent and that brings much better performance than a single 980, and we dont lose as much money. And no madmyke, you cant reply me again.
    Do we know if Elite will move to DX 12? If so, I'd keep that "old" 970 instead of selling it for a loss, as the extra GPU will help with the multi-GPU processing.

    Originally Posted by Xeraster View Post (Source)
    Can you please please explain HOW you got the DK2 working on Windows 10? I can't get it to work for anything.
    Try installing SDK 0.5 for it to work with Elite.

  4. #64
    Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post (Source)
    Would you say SLI helps with judder or just makes a difference in lag? Currently I get judder with a single 970 while in space dock. Not too much of a problem on the surface with the Horizon beta.
    I used to run 970's SLI, it definitely made a difference keeping frames above 75 but did introduce a slight lag in head tracking in the end we parted ways and went to a single Titan x

    However when the first Horizon beta was launched i had very poor judder, especially in space dock which has always been super smooth in the main game, so i decided to update to the latest driver 359.06 which thankfully fixed all my judders in Horizons. Also been stable without issues

    Worth a try ?

  5. #65
    It definitely helped with judder. Basically on my setup - a single 970 would do low settings without Judder, but medium caused judder. With 2 x970s I could generally run high without judder. (pre-Horizons).

  6. #66
    Originally Posted by Karnath View Post (Source)
    I used to run 970's SLI, it definitely made a difference keeping frames above 75 but did introduce a slight lag in head tracking in the end we parted ways and went to a single Titan x

    However when the first Horizon beta was launched i had very poor judder, especially in space dock which has always been super smooth in the main game, so i decided to update to the latest driver 359.06 which thankfully fixed all my judders in Horizons. Also been stable without issues

    Worth a try ?
    I'm on the latest NVidia drivers, but am running 0.5 SDK running Elite in Extended. I'll give the new 0.8 SDK / Direct Mode a try on the new beta.

    Thanks for info. I'll likely wait for the CV1 before deciding on which way to go (+970, upgrade to 980, or wait for 1000 series).

  7. #67
    Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post (Source)
    I'm on the latest NVidia drivers, but am running 0.5 SDK running Elite in Extended. I'll give the new 0.8 SDK / Direct Mode a try on the new beta.

    Thanks for info. I'll likely wait for the CV1 before deciding on which way to go (+970, upgrade to 980, or wait for 1000 series).
    Unless I've missed a recent announcement (and I don't have an Occulus) I thought ED didn't work with anything above SDK 0.5. Isn't that the point where FD announced they were dropping support until the consumer version was out?

  8. #68
    Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    Unless I've missed a recent announcement (and I don't have an Occulus) I thought ED didn't work with anything above SDK 0.5. Isn't that the point where FD announced they were dropping support until the consumer version was out?
    It works with runtime 0.8 through steamVR

  9. #69
    Incidentally, for those curious about the i7 on the minimum requirement, I just discovered cpubenchmark.net where you can compare two CPU's (probably graphics cards too).

    Anyway, here's the comparison between the i5 4690k and their i7 3770k ...

    http://cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2284&cmp[]=2

    Bottom line: slightly less performance but WAY better value for money.

    Edit: Oh, and ditto on the GTX 970 vs. GTX 980 ...

    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2954&cmp[]=2953

    I feel content (for now).

  10. #70
    I'm confused by these minimum specs. Quad I7 and 16mb ram and 4GB video card. When this game should eventually be running at 120fps at 1080p on a 1.6GHZ PS4 with 8GB total unified ram, and low end graphics card. There is going to be some serious optimisation for Playstation VR.

  11. #71
    Originally Posted by Beachlight7 View Post (Source)
    I'm confused by these minimum specs. Quad I7 and 16mb ram and 4GB video card. When this game should eventually be running at 120fps at 1080p on a 1.6GHZ PS4 with 8GB total unified ram, and low end graphics card. There is going to be some serious optimisation for Playstation VR.
    I didn't even know that had announced a PS4 version let alone VR support for it ?

  12. #72
    Originally Posted by Beachlight7 View Post (Source)
    I'm confused by these minimum specs. Quad I7 and 16mb ram and 4GB video card. When this game should eventually be running at 120fps at 1080p on a 1.6GHZ PS4 with 8GB total unified ram, and low end graphics card. There is going to be some serious optimisation for Playstation VR.
    watcha talkin bout willis?


    whilst it is a fair shout ED will come to PS4, what makes you think it will run on VR?

    NMS was demoed on the rift and said to be a very compelling experience. however it is not coming to PS VR. Sony have not said why, neither have anyone from hello games, but it would not be a huge leap to suggest it is because the ps4 simply cant manage it.

    I just hope sony do not use their leverage to force hello games to drop VR for PC as well due to "parity". I have a feeling they may however. Thank god PC is lead platform for ED.

    edit... actually I am interested, and hopeful to read that in what seems a uturn after sonyCEO said no VR for NMS, it not seems to be back on the "possible" table.

    still, it does not mean ED will manage it.

  13. #73
    Well, I think the current speculation about the silence and the delay of NMS is because it could be a special PS VR launch title in June 2016. Sony are being very hush on it until an official announcement next year about PS VR.
    I expect Frontier to have a big challenge in making Elite PS VR fully operational. Probably why they are taking their time in announcing it too. They may also wish to launch Elite as a VR title rather than just space sim on the PS4. I think Eite on PS4 could be out this month if they wanted a standard version of the game, but I think something special awaits, I am optimistic about these things.

  14. #74
    There isn't a hope of elite dangerous running on a PlayStation in VR at 120Hz. Maybe they could port the original Elite but not the version that's juddering away on my PC.

  15. #75
    Originally Posted by Beachlight7 View Post (Source)
    I think Eite on PS4 could be out this month if they wanted a standard version of the game, but I think something special awaits, I am optimistic about these things.
    it certainly could be, if the XB1 can run it the PS4 can too, however I reckon they have taken a little bag of cash off MS for some exclusivity (toal guess)

    as for VR. I hope you are right. IF they could port ED VR as well as you are suggesting to PS4 without crippling the eye candy, and if they passed on these optimisations to the PC users, this would be great news indeed.... however I just do not see it happening myself.

    imo either the visuals will have to be totally borked, or it wont happen. I personally feel it will be PS5 and Xbox 4 before we see VR/AR start generally supporting standard AAA titles in VR on console

    That being said, I have heard fab things about Eve Valkyrie and also PS VR in general, and I would love to eat my words on this

    Originally Posted by RiftFlyer View Post (Source)
    There isn't a hope of elite dangerous running on a PlayStation in VR at 120Hz. Maybe they could port the original Elite but not the version that's juddering away on my PC.

    I am out of my comfort zone here, so forgive me if I am wrong, but, I am fairly sure PS VR is not expected to run games at true 120fps the same way that the VIVE is 90fps @ 90hz.

    indeed there is some wiggle room here. FSX on my old PC (I do need to try it on my new one) only ran at around 50fps, which would normally be a disaster for VR, however it actually used decoupled headlook, so the head tracking was still at 75fps even when the game framerate tanked.

    this was absolutely fine, and only became problematic when you started getting close to 30fps. I can see something like this being a handy cheat, for both PS VR and lower end PCs in VR in general.

    infact its a real shame ED does not support decoupled head look now.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast