Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Distant Worlds] Join the FGE Exploration Wings

Originally Posted by Witzo View Post (Source)
    I'm still not clear on groups.
    Because I have a participant number over 600, I am supposed to play in Patrecleus.
    Will all FGE members also be in that group?

What group will numbers under 601 be playing in? Why are they separate?
    Isn't Mobius a perfectly fine group for all of us?
    Or Open once we are outside the bubble?
    Good point. I would suggest Mobius inside the bubble and Open once we are clear.

Thanks for the offer Corbin, but I aim to push hard from each waypoint and get ahead of the main peloton to do some advance prospecting/cartography.
    That's my personal challenge for participating... push myself harder than I usually push myself and try to offer something back for everyone else.

Originally Posted by Corbin Moran View Post (Source)
    Good point. I would suggest Mobius inside the bubble and Open once we are clear.
    Then I will see you on Pallaeni, Mobius, at 20:00 game time on Thursday!

With the launch of DW just a few days ahead, it is probably about time we started talking about what we would actually like to do in the exploration wings

Here are a few thoughts - let me hear yours as well - and forgive me if Im stating the obvious

- What goes on in the exploration wings is up to the people currently active there. There is no set agenda apart from going exploring together and having fun doing so.

- It is only called the FGE exploration wings because the FGE was asked to organize them. What we are doing here is open to all participants in the DW expedition and hopefully many explorers will join in the fun.

- Wishblend and I have agreed to serve as coordinators and stay in touch with Erimus and other DW organizers. We will make an effort to keep this thread updated with information relevant for the exploration wings.

- If anybody needs access to the Distant Worlds Team Speak server they can get the details from Wishblend or me.

- We will conduct meetups in the Mobius private group, or in Open once we are a bit away from the bubble.

- I have made a small google doc to serve as a tool to help with coordination and getting in touch for meetups. Currently this contains three sections:
    - a list of participants: to allow us an easy overview of who is interested in this; to friend each other in game to help with instancing; to coordinate any scouting activities and stuff like that. This is also where anybody interested in joining can simply sign up.
    - a place to register POI´s: Distant Worlds allready have a place to register most POIs that are close to the official camps. But if we find something interesting while exploring between the camps, we can log it here in this doc and process it later.
    - a calendar for meetups: If anyone is interested in hosting a meetup they should announce it here in this forum thread. But it would also be a good idea to have one central location to collect all the information.

- There is also a DW thread about using Trello as a coordination tool for exploration. I dont know Trello (and havent the time to test it right now), so I can´t say if it would make sense for us to use that as well. If anybody wants to check it out and report back, please do so.

- From what I´ve heard, some of the people in the explorations wings wants to scout ahead of the main fleet, others would like to follow the itiniary of the primary DW fleet, and others would like to take it slower and follow a weekly pace app. half of that of the primary DW fleet. I don´t think that is a problem and hope everyone would like to keep in touch in this thread and in the google docs, even if they are scouting out solo. So even in these exploration wings we will have people all over the DW expedition .

- I predict we will be involved in two primary activities - but again this is totally up to the people here. If you have an idea bring it forth!

- 1) Exploration meetups: All that is needed is a host to invite others, to post a time and place to meet, and to give a short description of the expected duration, direction or destination (I will post an idea for a meetup shortly). Wishblend and I could probably host a few of these, but it would be great if everybody just starts chipping in with their own ideas on where to go and when.

- 2 Scouting basecamps: Erimus has asked us to help scout out the locations for the basecamps, to confirm that the planetary locations and coordinates are still valid (they were last scouted in beta and stuff may have changed since). If the coordinates hold true, the scouts are asked to provide visual guides to help other players find these camps from space. CMDR Satsuma has allready made the first of these guides. This means that Erimus will be giving us access to the planetary coordinates for the official DW camps a little earlier than they are made public (because it will be our task to confirm them). Every time Erimus gives us a new assignment Ill make an announcement in this thread, and any scouts interested can send me a PM to have the coordinates. This is much easier than me spamming all of you with PMs everytime

--------------------------------

Allright - these are my thoughts on how we could do this. What do you think?

Meetup: Sat 16th jan, 18.00 IGT, Shapley 1 -> Lagoon

I have updated the astrographics thread with information regarding the Sagittarius constellation, which is mostly located in the area we will be passing through on our way towards the Lagoon Nebula. (If you scroll a bit down in the first post you will find a map and some notes...). This is an interesting area that I would like to revisit - would you join me?

Meetup is sat 16th jan, 18.00 IGT (In Game Time).

Starting from DW basecamp 1 ("Laika's Rest": Fine Ring Sector JH-V C2-4 A 1), we will be covering some of the distance towards Lagoon - visiting a few noteworthy POIs on the way:

The blue supergiant 46 Upsilon Sagittarii and the ringed planets in that system is a must!

Other POIs are optional depending on interest:

For instance Leda, a pair of ELWs in tidally locked orbit.

Or Cycladia an ELW with a spectacular double ring system - the rings orbiting so fast it is visible to the naked eye.

If you would like to join for this meetup you can make a note here (allways nice to know if there is an interest). Or simply show up at the designated time and place.

----------------------------

Suggested route and waypoints:

The description of todays meetup has been updated with these wypoints:

Laika's Rest - FINE RING SECTOR JH-V C2-4

This is where we meet landed at the base camp at 18.00 IGT. We will spend a little time getting sorted into wings. Experienced explorers that are also confident using the wing system will be asked to step forward. If possible we will try to have at least one experienced pilot in each wing. It looks like we may be 30+ people attending today, so don´t expect to all be in the same instance at Laika's Rest. We will coordinate on the team speak channels.

Once we are sorted into wings each wing is on its own. You are free to follow the suggested schedule here, or do what ever you please. I will jump a bit from wing to wing i TS to check in on each wing from time to time (which is also why I will not myself be running a wing).

Leda - PRAEA EUQ KS-J D9-14

A system sporting a pair of ELW in close and tidally locked orbit. The first planet in the system is landable and has an interesting crater at coordinates 16 / 94. This might be a spot for a bit of SRV driving.

Pandemonium - Praea Euq XK-O b48-0

Total of 3 binaries (stars,brown dwarfs and large gas giants), 2 binaries are very close together. As soon as you jump in you are surrounded by stars and gas planets, the 2nd binary are so close together the gas giant is almost touching the brown dwarf. (Thanks to CMDR Jaredd))

(wp) - PRAEA EUQ FI-B D13-27

This is just a well situated waypoint on the route towards 46 Upsilon Sagittarii. I have never visited this system myself - wonder if we will find anything interesting.

46 Upsilon Sagittarii - 46 UPSILON SAGITTARII

A blue supergiant star. The first planet in the system is landable and has some very dense rings. This planet might be the main event for SRV exploration on this meetup.

- this is probably as far as I will be flying today. If anyone is interested in hosting a meetup sunday or next week, this could be a fine meeting point for the rest of the journey towards Lagoon. Just make a post in this thread if you would like to host a meetup.

From here you can head straight "north" dirctly towards Thor's Eye and Lagoon Nebula. Or you can do a detour to visit a few other interesting places:

(wp) - BLEIA EOHN OI-Q D6-57

This is just a well situated waypoint on the route towards Cycladia.

Cycladia - BLU THUA GI-B B55-2

The first planet in this system is an ELW that sports a very beautifull double ring system. The inner rings orbit so fast it is visible to the naked eye.

Bug Nebula - CD-36 11341

A small blue nebula. Truly beautiful!

(wp) - SMOJAI DR-N d6-35

A waypoint on the route towards Thor's Eye.

Thor's Eye - THOR'S EYE

An interesting stellar cluster just "south" of Lagoon Nebula. Plenty of Black Holes and very bright stars.

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THE MEETUP AT LAIKA'S REST 16th JAN

For this meet up we will have people taking part that is on the primary DW fleet roster, some that are on the overflow roster, and also some that is not on any of the rosters.

This gives us a two challenges:

1) Instancing: We will be playing in the MOBIUS private group

We cannot use either the KAMZEL or PATRECLEUS private groups, since not everyone will be able to join them.

If you have not already joined MOBIUS private group you should do so asap.

2) Fleet comms: We will be using the original DW Team Speak Server (not the one for the overflow roster)

The FGE exploration channels are set up on this server - we did not anticipate that so many would join that separate servers would be set up.

If you do not have access to the original DW Team Speak Server you should send me (Corbin) a PM asap. We will try to find a solution but I can´t make any promises.

See you saturday 16th jan - 18.00 IGT - at Laika's Rest.

Meetup starts landed at the base camp.

An idea for this or another meetup could also be to join the search for a good colonizable system...

what jump range we should have ?

i want to join ... any wings open ?

Originally Posted by sebinator View Post (Source)
    i want to join ... any wings open ?
    If you want to join you simply sign up here.
    (and set your status to ACTIVE in that sheet)

The sign up is not really mandatory, but it is nice to see how many is interested in this, and also good to be able to coordinate.

The wings are not set - they are made at each meet up.

Currently our first scheduled meet up is at camp 1 on jan 16th (details earlier in this thread).
    - Unless someone wants to step up and host a meet up at the launch (14th jan)? I am unfortunately not able to be there myself.

Once we see how many is there we will divide into as many wings as necessary for that particular meet up.
    - wings will be organized by jump-range and we should try to get a pilot experienced with both exploration and wing mechanics into each of these groups (participants will be asked to step forward if they have experience with this).

All you have to do to take part is simply to be there at the time and place - but it is also nice if you leave a note here.

Looking forward to flying with you.

Originally Posted by sebinator View Post (Source)
    what jump range we should have ?
    See the distant worlds main thread, as long as you can make 10,000 Ly per week for the front group or 5,000 Ly for the other group, you will be fine, with regards to crossing the gaps, I have done it in a ship with a jump range of 20 LY but you can boost that now with the FSB boost.

Originally Posted by Corbin Moran View Post (Source)
    If you want to join you simply sign up here.
    (and set your status to ACTIVE in that sheet)

The sign up is not really mandatory, but it is nice to see how many is interested in this, and also good to be able to coordinate.

The wings are not set - they are made at each meet up.

Currently our first scheduled meet up is at camp 1 on jan 16th (details earlier in this thread).
    - Unless someone wants to step up and host a meet up at the launch (14th jan)? I am unfortunately not able to be there myself.

Once we see how many is there we will divide into as many wings as necessary for that particular meet up.
    - wings will be organized by jump-range and we should try to get a pilot experienced with both exploration and wing mechanics into each of these groups (participants will be asked to step forward if they have experience with this).

All you have to do to take part is simply to be there at the time and place - but it is also nice if you leave a note here.

Looking forward to flying with you.
    Hey,
    I would absolutely love to join the expedition and your exploration wing if I may please?

My forum name and CMDR name is kjkb1980 and I have an Asp Explorer capable of jumping just over 27ly if that'll be OK?

Are we just meeting in Open or do I need to join a private group like the main exploration fleet?

I'm sorry for all the questions!

Thank you,
    CMDR kjkb1980

Originally Posted by kjkb1980 View Post (Source)
    Hey,
    I would absolutely love to join the expedition and your exploration wing if I may please?

My forum name and CMDR name is kjkb1980 and I have an Asp Explorer capable of jumping just over 27ly if that'll be OK?

Are we just meeting in Open or do I need to join a private group like the main exploration fleet?

I'm sorry for all the questions!

Thank you,
    CMDR kjkb1980

Hello and welcome! Simply add your details to the google doc - and start adding all the people there to your friends list
    (This will help us all to get into the same instance.

I am starting to think that we SHOULD meet in open - rather than in a private group. Allready we have players who are not in the same private groups for Distant Worlds (being on separate fleet rosters). We might also have people joining on the day that is not member of Mobius group etc.

I don´t think anybody will be there to bother us at Shapley 1.

Would love to join distant worlds expedition. but am curious I missed the sign up deadline not realizing there was one. If I start to head out to meet up with everyone one at shapely am I gonna be disappointed when I get out there seeing no one else in open? Will I still be able to meet up with others at the waypoints even though its sounding like the majority people are in private groups?

Originally Posted by dasrifter View Post (Source)
    Would love to join distant worlds expedition. but am curious I missed the sign up deadline not realizing there was one. If I start to head out to meet up with everyone one at shapely am I gonna be disappointed when I get out there seeing no one else in open? Will I still be able to meet up with others at the waypoints even though its sounding like the majority people are in private groups?
    I just got a second confirmation that we will be playing in the Mobius group. So if you log on there, Frontier's instances permitting you will find us.

Sorry, having been doing a very good job of keeping abreast of things ED the last couple of weeks, my nose has been deep in code for the 3 weeks. But looking forward to going out for some wing exploration again. Are we using the main TS for coordinating cartogtapher wings this time around?

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast