Page 378 of 378 FirstFirst ... 368374375376377378
Results 5,656 to 5,666 of 5666

Thread: The Open v Solo v Groups thread IV - Hotel California

Originally Posted by Roybe View Post (Source)
    A lot of the old PVP guard have come to realize the truth and either accepted it or left....he might be in those numbers at this point.
    Maybe he was, like most people, creeped out by the clown in the background.. you know... chuckles!!!

It occurs to me that perhaps quite a few people would come to open if it wasn't a P2P connection. I know that's what keeps -me- out of open. I don't want a peer to peer connection to my computer.

Edit: Well, one of the reasons. Right near the top, too.

Originally Posted by Mercy Killing View Post (Source)
    It occurs to me that perhaps quite a few people would come to open if it wasn't a P2P connection. I know that's what keeps -me- out of open. I don't want a peer to peer connection to my computer.
    I don't understand the logic. P2P is also used in private groups. Do you play Solo only? What is your objection to P2P?
    Duchess Commander Crank Larson

Twitch | YouTube

Originally Posted by CMDR Crank Larson View Post (Source)
    I don't understand the logic. P2P is also used in private groups. Do you play Solo only? What is your objection to P2P?
    I believe he is talking about security issues. Allowing other Commanders to be 'flying' on his PC represents a risk to the host computer. I don't believe this is so, but it as easy conclusion to draw.
    Elite Commander Mohrgan
    F.S.S. Wolfshead MO-04F
    Separating Pirates and Ships since 3300

Originally Posted by Mohrgan View Post (Source)
    I believe he is talking about security issues. Allowing other Commanders to be 'flying' on his PC represents a risk to the host computer. I don't believe this is so, but it as easy conclusion to draw.
    It's not true in the slightest. I'd love to see some specifics on this. Security has little to do with the source of the connection.
    Duchess Commander Crank Larson

Twitch | YouTube

There is an inherent risk to any computer that has connectivity - but it can be mitigated by basic security steps like changing your router password, running a firewall, current antivirus and not clicking everything your browser shoves in your face

The only secure computer is one without power, in bits, locked up in a safe filled with concrete, at the bottom of the ocean.
    Drunks of Sol, Drunks of Sol, drunken spaceships full of lol

Originally Posted by Asp Explorer View Post (Source)
    The only secure computer is one without power, in bits...
    Which is my computer's potential state nearly every time I play ED!

Originally Posted by Asp Explorer View Post (Source)
    There is an inherent risk to any computer that has connectivity - but it can be mitigated by basic security steps like changing your router password, running a firewall, current antivirus and not clicking everything your browser shoves in your face

The only secure computer is one without power, in bits, locked up in a safe filled with concrete, at the bottom of the ocean.

Damn deep sea divers and salvage operators ruining our security
    “In the beginning the Universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” –The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Fuel Rats: http://fuelrats.com/ Mobius PVE: https://elitepve.com/ Hutton Orbital Truckers: http://huttonorbital.com/HuttonOrbitalNews.aspx
    Bacon Cats: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=172118

It's not true in the slightest. I'd love to see some specifics on this. Security has little to do with the source of the connection.
    P2P does mean that players can harvest the IPs of other users, whereas client-server would mean clients only saw the servers' IPs. The danger that poses has been vastly (vastly) exaggerated online and by the media, but it is non-zero for anybody who doesn't use a VPN. At the very least, general geographic location is a small starting piece of the doxing puzzle.

While I'm not personally concerned about it for several reasons, I can understand why it could motivate somebody to stick to solo or the types of private groups which aren't likely to admit potentially unstable individuals.
    "I want to be able to play a great game without being griefed by teenagers" - David Braben

The issues are there. The tor network sites almost all use P2P for file sharing and downloads. Lots of risk there. A P2P connection is a direct connection between one computer and another (direct in a virtual sense anyway). Anyone running wireshark could then pick any UDP frame to get the source IP and then use a GeoIP locator to narrow a geographic area immensely. I tested my own IP with a GeoIP look up website, it gave near exact lat and longitude coordinates for my house.

Closing this thread, as it's quite long in the tooth and we have a shiny new sub-forum for modes discussion now.

Page 378 of 378 FirstFirst ... 368374375376377378