Page 370 of 376 FirstFirst ... 360366367368369370371372373374 ... LastLast
Results 5,536 to 5,550 of 5640

Thread: The Open v Solo v Groups thread IV - Hotel California

  1. #5536
    Originally Posted by CMDR Crank Larson View Post (Source)
    I don't disagree. The part you didn't quote gave the context. Though perhaps I should have used "a" rather than "the". My point was more that Open is far more than PvP mode (i.e. it is not just for PvPers).
    You have the 'intent' and you have the 'reality' of the situation at odds. What anybody's intentions for open are/were have no bearing on what open is. Some of the rub in this debate come from those that want to 'rescue' open for the masses. Just plain forget that. The masses are the fodder for the worst of open's antics, bringing in more of the masses simply brings in more of the shenanigans.

    There is nothing FD can do, short of removing PvP, that will make open suitable for all, and even then, it becomes untenable for those that crave PvP. Our best interests are served by internalizing the notion that open is for PvP. Then you have no complaints when PvP happens. The true answer to all of this is to just find the environment you enjoy playing in, and play there. Leaving everyone else to do the same.

  2. #5537
    Originally Posted by Mohrgan View Post (Source)
    You have the 'intent' and you have the 'reality' of the situation at odds. What anybody's intentions for open are/were have no bearing on what open is. Some of the rub in this debate come from those that want to 'rescue' open for the masses. Just plain forget that. The masses are the fodder for the worst of open's antics, bringing in more of the masses simply brings in more of the shenanigans.
    I didn't reference intent at all. I also didn't say that Open was suitable for all. My point was that it is not simply a PvP arena (just because PvP can happen). CQC is the PvP arena.

  3. #5538
    Originally Posted by CMDR Crank Larson View Post (Source)
    I don't disagree. The part you didn't quote gave the context. Though perhaps I should have used "a" rather than "the". My point was more that Open is far more than PvP mode (i.e. it is not just for PvPers).
    Absolute, PVP is one of many aspects of the ALL Group. For PVP haters and lovers alike it appears to be a big thing, which it is not. Not trying to argue, there seem to be as much opinions as Commanders. However, if you ignore conflict, I guess many will agree, a galaxy full of life is something beautiful. So we easily have P&P beside PVP.

  4. #5539
    I think you will find that the original vision for Open was player cooperation with occasional player versus player in reasonable circumstances...

    Obviously it was naive to think that people in general would rise up above being animals in a virtual environment where there are no consequences, virtual or otherwise... But then... at least they are not on the streets mugging people. Better they stay in game... at least then ED can be described as a public service... keeping anti-social elements off the streets and in game. Kudos to Frontier!!!

  5. #5540
    Originally Posted by anthonycsheehy View Post (Source)
    I think you will find that the original vision for Open was player cooperation with occasional player versus player in reasonable circumstances...

    Obviously it was naive to think that people in general would rise up above being animals in a virtual environment where there are no consequences, virtual or otherwise...!!
    whilst i do not agree with your last sentence (that i snipped)... this above is 100% on the money and even the smallest amount of research shows this to be the case (on both points)

  6. #5541
    Originally Posted by anthonycsheehy View Post (Source)
    Obviously it was naive to think that people in general would rise up above being animals in a virtual environment where there are no consequences, virtual or otherwise... But then... at least they are not on the streets mugging people. Better they stay in game... at least then ED can be described as a public service... keeping anti-social elements off the streets and in game. Kudos to Frontier!!!
    Anthonycsheehy we are a little exaggerating aren't we?
    Some are trapped in Elite some in the Hotel

  7. #5542
    Originally Posted by Dietger View Post (Source)
    Anthonycsheehy we are a little exaggerating aren't we?
    Some are trapped in Elite some in the Hotel
    Yep... we are...

  8. #5543
    I enjoy working alone in the game. Avoiding other players is a great feature.

    Cheers, Phos.

  9. #5544
    Originally Posted by anthonycsheehy View Post (Source)
    Yep... we are...
    REP for attitude

    Cheers

  10. #5545
    Originally Posted by Phosphora View Post (Source)
    I enjoy working alone in the game. Avoiding other players is a great feature.

    Cheers, Phos.
    Same for us, after playing almost 30 years PC, we are happy, there is someone, we can avoid.

  11. #5546
    I was in Open the other day.

    At Engineer bases.

    And Achenar.

    And I met...







    ..No one.

    Lol

    #OpenIsTheNewSolo

    Literally, all modes are equal. They're all empty. Lol

    I'm not saying "come to open", I'm just saying I went to Open, and found a large amount of nothing.

    The last player I met was on September 8th. Lol

    It would be kinda cool, if we could tell how many CMDRs are currently in any system (with a nav beacon), regardless of mode or even platform.
    Just so I can satisfy my curiosity. Lol

    CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

  12. #5547
    Originally Posted by CMDR_Cosmicspacehead View Post (Source)
    I was in Open the other day.

    At Engineer bases.

    And Achenar.

    And I met...







    ..No one.

    Lol
    I was there too recently! But I was in Mobius. I actually saw some other people, lol.

    Mind you, then I let a friend drive my SRV around the engineer's base for a bit (demonstrating VR), with the strict instructions not to touch the fire button. I go off and do something else for a bit, and when I come back I find that he's been shooting things up and has a 24 hour bounty on his head. It takes me an hour or so to run away from the base avoiding the weapons, and an Eagle follows me for 20km! My friend's excuse for ignoring my instructions was "But I presumed you'd be able to reset or reload?". Why would I emphasize not to shoot anything if that were possible, lol.

  13. #5548
    Originally Posted by Dietger View Post (Source)
    Same for us, after playing almost 30 years PC, we are happy, there is someone, we can avoid.
    Good to know the game works for people with differing personalities.

    Cheers, Phos.

  14. #5549
    Originally Posted by CMDR Crank Larson View Post (Source)
    I was there too recently! But I was in Mobius. I actually saw some other people, lol.
    I feel Mobius is how Open should have been.

    Busy ports, docking queues, systems buzzing with life.....
    I won't even touch a CG in Mobus, takes far too long to get docked (how's that for a complaint, first world problem ).

    Mobius Group is what Elite: Dangerous was supposed to be in my opinion.
    We just need group admin tools adding and the max number of people in a single group increasing to limitless and it will be perfect

  15. #5550
    Originally Posted by Jockey79 View Post (Source)
    I feel Mobius is how Open should have been.

    Busy ports, docking queues, systems buzzing with life.....
    I won't even touch a CG in Mobus, takes far too long to get docked (how's that for a complaint, first world problem ).

    Mobius Group is what Elite: Dangerous was supposed to be in my opinion.
    We just need group admin tools adding and the max number of people in a single group increasing to limitless and it will be perfect
    And fortunately it is not and has small drawback for allowing players to set their own rules and avoid a full multiplayer functionality.