Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: The Dangerous Games: The Rise to Power!

Originally Posted by InDigital View Post (Source)
    I don't understand. How can i make my own faction?
    You send Frontier an email with a request of where you want it and your proposed faction name. I believe the exact procedure is defined in a sticky somewhere. Then at a later date, if all is well, a minor faction with your chosen name will appear in game in the system you asked for.

Originally Posted by Roybe View Post (Source)
    Really showed us that actions DO have consequences within this game. We knew we were cooked when we started seeing the Federation trade numbers climb...we even tried to slow down the traders with some PvP (really just to make ourselves feel better, because PvP has very little effect on CG's, even today)...but knew that it really was just a matter of time before we lost the whole shooting match....and then our fighting CG numbers started to build! Everyone we had online jumped into the Combat Zones and started killing everything!
    Yeah you guys had some dirty (but effective) tactics, like when we (Feds) were pushing the trade goal the weapon stocks had refreshed a little, so some of your guys went back and bought more weapons to make sure the supply ran dry.
    Anyway, back on topic, I hope AA make the list, I know they'd have my support.

3. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #153
    Hey guys,

I'll try and go through and answer a few questions. There are a few here that I will need to wait until next week to check but I'll see if I can get a few in now.

I just thought I would take a second to explain exactly why this is for me, one of the most exciting activities we've done to date. I truly believe this could be an incredibly fun and interesting event.

The key here really is all about bringing the community together. There is so much opportunity with this event from propaganda, group politics, alliances and coalitions. The stories that groups that could come from this event could be incredible!

For me it's not even about whether you personally enjoy powerplay or if you don't engage with that side of things. For me this is bigger than that. This is the first (yes ideally we would like to do more of these in the future) time where groups will be able to demonstrate, through huge amounts of effort, their dedication and be recognized in the history books of Elite. That's pretty incredible.

I should just clarify a couple of points while I'm here too.

The Powerplay faction and power being added by groups will not have any other additional rules or powers then powers that currently exist. The winning group will work with the development team to ensure that any additions to the game are suitable and will need to complete a manifesto to help steer that addition to the game and what the power would be like and represent. But the way that the actions that the Power takes is determined by player action, as with all of Powerplay.

I should also clarify that the list at the bottom of the post are people who have registered their interest. They will be checked before the vote to check for eligibility. If they are eligible groups will then all go through to a vote and the top 5 voted will go through to the wildcard games during beta.

4. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #154
    Originally Posted by atak2 View Post (Source)
    Another potentially exciting event reduced to grinding in private groups. Also the way Frontier are picking player groups outside of the game to take part... Sigh
    We haven't picked any groups. ALL groups will be determined by player actions. (They have expanded and developed their minor faction the most) or through the community (a vote) and themselves (completing CGs). We aren't selecting ANY groups.

5. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #155
    Originally Posted by Mephane View Post (Source)
    Will the competing community goals be identical? I.e. same task, same system? Because even such seemingly minor details as a different location can have massive impacts on player participation. For example if travel time is too long, people will choose the CG where they spend less time jumping around or in supercruise. Or if one CG is bounty hunting in a system with HAZRES, the other is smuggling, bounty hunting is far more likely to come out ahead. Yet make it bounty hunting with no RES in the system, and good luck finding enough people for more than the starting tiers.
    Yeah, we have considered this. We will be making them as equal as possible. Our initial thoughts are to have them all AT THE SAME SYSTEM with the same activity each week. So it's truly fair. Obviously anything can happen and can be changed if the devs believe it to be the right thing to do. But this is definitely something being considered heavily.

6. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #156
    Originally Posted by Goose4291 View Post (Source)
    Will there be opposing CG's running counter to each groups so people can oppose certain factions, like we did with Lugh?
    There will be 5 CGs running for each event (wildcard and rise to power). People can oppose a group by supporting another.

7. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #157
    Originally Posted by Goose4291 View Post (Source)
    I don't often agree with you, but you're right on this one. 3 of these groups going forward for this are pro-imperial. Do we need another Imperial power?
    The list is still growing and this list is only for the people who will attempt for the wildcard place. There are 5 other groups that are already qualified for the final that we are waiting to hear back from. Even if the winner of this list was an imperial faction you might want to wait for the other groups to be confirmed first as they will be 5 of the 6 groups in the final.

Originally Posted by Avering View Post (Source)
    So, the Wildcard Games starts on the 12th of May. Any idea when we get the list of factions trying out their luck in the vote? I would guess you wouldn't leave only one day for that.
    The vote will need to start soon. We need to know the groups that will be in that wildcard event by the end of April really for the CG set ups. So expect it to start relatively soon.

Originally Posted by Lord Rog View Post (Source)
    Yeah, given that they even lost their home system it is strange that the Imperial Inquisition are included on this list. If they can't even keep control of the system they were given then they don't really deserve to be here.
    It's up to the people as to who "deserves" to be here. The groups with the most "pledges" will be going through to the wildcard play off. Then it's down to them to perform. In addition TIIQ might have lost their home system but they have still expanded a number of times which is the stipulation of the rules for entry.

Originally Posted by Silk View Post (Source)
    Count Adle's Armada in! We can be the champion of the people. :-)
    A big contender just steps into the ring ladies and gentlemen.

8. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #158
    Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post (Source)
    So we have this nonesense instead of real guilds and sandbox emergent gameplay?
    They aren't really one and the same. It's not that you get this "instead of" something else. I don't think it's right to compare this event using the current game mechanics with requests for future content.

Originally Posted by deathmagnet View Post (Source)
    Yes it was really great. If Rise to Power is to 2.1 that the War of Lugh was to 1.1 it will be really really fun.

I do enjoy the large scale indirect PVP. It really showcases the game and FDev's ideas on how it works.

East India Company?

These guys?

Interesting...

Originally Posted by Ginrikuzuma View Post (Source)
    East India Company?

These guys?

Interesting...
    Yeah, that's what I thought.

Originally Posted by fergal View Post (Source)
    I believe Black Omega has 4 or 5 systems their minor faction rules, and they have requested entry into the wild card.
    I would have thought the 5 largest PMF would have 20-40 systems..
    Well, hats off to Marra and Victor and their crew of scallywags!
    Maybe we'll see "Coordinated Piracy" among the co-ordinated Pirates.

(is that what Sandro calls it? Can't remember - lovely dinner out last night, bit hungover)

Re: 20-40 - maybe you're right, but the Influence Cap really put the brakes on.
    FDev needed to do something to help CSG dig their way out from under in Lugh, but it's not like "the heady days of 1.3" anymore.
    I reckon the changes were the right thing to protect the Minor Factions from the tidal surges of PowerPlay.

When SDC got hammered by every man and their dog the influence only shifted by 14%. So I would think that there is a limit of diminishing returns even when you have many many CMDRs pushing influence.

The older groups were pushing in game factions before they could be named.
    I wasn't playing in the early days, but I believe that long Cool downs meant that the old groups would choose several factions to push, otherwise there was nothing to do for weeks sometimes.

Then when Player Minor Factions came in FDev would only assign ONE of the in-game factions to the group.

So yeah 20-40 expansions is probably right for the old groups, but that would be across all their factions. I think FDev will only count the expansions for one faction per player group.

I'd love to know if FDev has Walt directly associated with more than one in-game faction. But that would be quite revealing and I don't expect him to say anything publicly.

13. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #163
    Originally Posted by SuBSynk View Post (Source)
    Was drunk last night sorry, but in all seriousness this is a very unfortunate turn of events in my opinion. FD really need to get in tune as to what is happening in their galaxy regarding player groups. Most of their "triple A" groups are a shambles and only "triple A" because of the aggrandizement of their true situation (basically sucking up to FD with emails etc rather than in-game activity). Mobius is not a true player group with RP/cannon or even a vision that binds them (I have respect for the Mobius project but it is not a player group in any way).
    Actually being a triple elite group isn't just for groups that have factions in the game. Yes that does include groups that are in game factions but we also have "groups" which are actually people who run sites and groups for large groups of players. For example the Elite Dangerous Subreddit, Elite One Subreddit etc. Connecting large groups that are community and content focused with groups that promote and publish Elite Dangerous content mean they can work closer together.

TIIQ are basically all talk and no action; just look at the system map for their home-world and all of their expansions. Emperors Grace do not even exist anymore and if they are still "triple A" that is indicative of how out of touch FD are....Code no longer even exist (as i predicted about six months ago). SDC is not a true player group either but rather a collection of PVPers that have gathered from many other groups, EIC are still around but quiet at the moment. I could go on and on.
    I wanted to take a moment to debunk a few of these myths and clarify a few points here. Emperors Grace still exist (as Raf says below) but they are not currently a triple elite group, SDC are not a triple elite group and have not been one previously, Code are still active and I know this is a topic that CODE leadership have reinforced on many occasions. TIIQ run a huge number of community events and EIC are still very much active, I suspect that's why they put their name forward for this wildcard event.

More importantly though is to look at how community groups are selected for Triple Elite. We've made a number of posts explaining who they are and what they do. Effectively they are groups that create content which support the community as a whole. by having them connected together they can collaborate and support each other in key events to make their events even better. They are groups that have proven to make great and engaging content. The forums (which you mention above) are there for the same purpose on a large scale as the forums are more manageable. All of the groups involve have contributed considerably to the community. Whether that be weekly AMA sessions on the Elite Dangerous Subreddit and the Elite One subreddit, 12 week Olympic event that TIIQ have been championing, weekly/daily lore streams, weekly PVP events and tournaments, seasonal events such as the EIC Halloween event, the 1,000 man distant worlds excursion which had so much community involvement, Hutton truckers mug CG, or their buggy racing event, or their jumps an numerous events vs CODE in open, involvement in every Mayhem schedule, Christmas charity livestreams, educating ed episodes, 10,000 rescues of commanders out of fuel and additional amazing content from fuel rats and much MUCH more.

The thing is we work with and promote and support all groups that want to create content. Look at the newsletters from new year, we've supported groups big and small and we've had countless (well more than 10, that's past my fingers so no more counting can be done) community groups CGs and these are all available to everyone, just like the wildcard entry is available to all groups. However, connecting large groups, sites and players who make exciting content for the community can only be a good thing.

We've recently move over to a discord server and we're finding it far easier to manage so we will be increasing the number of groups in there. Again, these will be groups that help and support the wider community in a variety of ways.

I don't believe that FD truly are "out of touch" with groups. My question to you would be how can we help and support your group to work with all these other larger groups to support your community and the wider community as a whole. Let us know what events you're running, how can other community members get involved, what's cool about them that people would like? What cool activity are ToC doing that the community might want to know about? What content are you making? Ultimately all we want as a Community team are players that love to enjoy and play the game and we want to help support all corners of the communities to improve everyone's game experience.

In ToC our RP/cannon is very strong with what could be a book of lore and history; we do not openly and on mass recruit members on forums and anyone not fulfilling the members guide requirements are removed. We have never sought publicity, except in RP situations, and we are one of the largest player groups, most effective PvP teams and strongest PvE groups in the ED gaming sphere.
    It's a shame to hear you won't be applying for a wildcard event. This confidence and enthusiasm is exactly the type of group we would like to see putting their name forward for the event.

For me it should be about the players and having content we can all get in amongst and enjoy but it does seem that all the organising is more around involving player groups with a high profile for the benefit of FD and not the community at large...

That's just my opinion, please do prove this wrong if I have mis-understood or read into things incorrectly....Subsynk is representative of all us in ToC though, we talk through lots of the finer points in our TS and he has a fuller view of the groups opinion so I'll fall back to him getting involved in further comms with you Zac

Don't get me wrong, we love the game, it has a lot going for it and with RP etc it can be a great journey for lots....as a side note, having more in-game frameworks other than using CG mechanics revolving around the player factions would enable a lot more content to be created, things like clan administration for player faction membership and using clan membership as a driver for existing and new content would be great for example. Anyway, I'm waffling now, Subsynk can take discussions further with our views

Originally Posted by Zac Antonaci View Post (Source)
    Actually being a triple elite group isn't just for groups that have factions in the game. Yes that does include groups that are in game factions but we also have "groups" which are actually people who run sites and groups for large groups of players. For example the Elite Dangerous Subreddit, Elite One Subreddit etc. Connecting large groups that are community and content focused with groups that promote and publish Elite Dangerous content mean they can work closer together.

I wanted to take a moment to debunk a few of these myths and clarify a few points here. Emperors Grace still exist (as Raf says below) but they are not currently a triple elite group, SDC are not a triple elite group and have not been one previously, Code are still active and I know this is a topic that CODE leadership have reinforced on many occasions. TIIQ run a huge number of community events and EIC are still very much active, I suspect that's why they put their name forward for this wildcard event.

More importantly though is to look at how community groups are selected for Triple Elite. We've made a number of posts explaining who they are and what they do. Effectively they are groups that create content which support the community as a whole. by having them connected together they can collaborate and support each other in key events to make their events even better. They are groups that have proven to make great and engaging content. The forums (which you mention above) are there for the same purpose on a large scale as the forums are more manageable. All of the groups involve have contributed considerably to the community. Whether that be weekly AMA sessions on the Elite Dangerous Subreddit and the Elite One subreddit, 12 week Olympic event that TIIQ have been championing, weekly/daily lore streams, weekly PVP events and tournaments, seasonal events such as the EIC Halloween event, the 1,000 man distant worlds excursion which had so much community involvement, Hutton truckers mug CG, or their buggy racing event, or their jumps an numerous events vs CODE in open, involvement in every Mayhem schedule, Christmas charity livestreams, educating ed episodes, 10,000 rescues of commanders out of fuel and additional amazing content from fuel rats and much MUCH more.

The thing is we work with and promote and support all groups that want to create content. Look at the newsletters from new year, we've supported groups big and small and we've had countless (well more than 10, that's past my fingers so no more counting can be done) community groups CGs and these are all available to everyone, just like the wildcard entry is available to all groups. However, connecting large groups, sites and players who make exciting content for the community can only be a good thing.

We've recently move over to a discord server and we're finding it far easier to manage so we will be increasing the number of groups in there. Again, these will be groups that help and support the wider community in a variety of ways.

I don't believe that FD truly are "out of touch" with groups. My question to you would be how can we help and support your group to work with all these other larger groups to support your community and the wider community as a whole. Let us know what events you're running, how can other community members get involved, what's cool about them that people would like? What cool activity are ToC doing that the community might want to know about? What content are you making? Ultimately all we want as a Community team are players that love to enjoy and play the game and we want to help support all corners of the communities to improve everyone's game experience.

It's a shame to hear you won't be applying for a wildcard event. This confidence and enthusiasm is exactly the type of group we would like to see putting their name forward for the event.
    Thx for taking the time to address some of my concerns, i just received your PM and look forward to a conversation where we can further delve into these topics. As i'm sure you know/remember i have run several FD events with prizes/giveaways provided by FD and the ToC community as well as promoting Elite on my stream for near on two years now. I will not comment further on the activity & suitability of the other groups you have mentioned but all my points are valid and reasonable as those that are in touch with these groups or visit their forums/streams/TS3/Discords will appreciate

I will of course explain to you all the lore, activity & content that ToC have been creating in ED since its release when we get a chance to chat, i look forward to it

Page 11 of 58 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast