Page 599 of 706 FirstFirst ... 589595596597598599600601602603609 ... LastLast
Results 8,971 to 8,985 of 10578

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: So you want to know about the Formidine Rift? (Part 3)

I'm going to consolidate the full transcripts for each of the Settlements found so far.

Formidine Rift:

Eafots LZ-H b10-0 D1

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 1/6
    Expedition Log: 30/08/3270

"Been travelling for weeks. Passed this amazing twin nebula just recently, about the only interesting sight on this whole trip. We are a long way out now. I don't think anyone else has been this far. Still, pay is good!"

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 2/6
    Expedition Log: 12/09/3270

"Stars have thinned out and we've started dropping our cargo. Looks like some kind of long-range beacon to me. It's all hush-hush, no questions asked stuff. Heard some of the senior bods talking about a Dynasty project. Careless talk and all that..."

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 3/6
    Expedition Log: 18/09/3270

"Nothing prepared me for the boredom. It's very dark out here. Really dark... darker than normal space. There's hardly any stars ahead of us, it's just blackness... the void."

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 4/6
    Expedition Log: 01/10/3270
    "Picked up some kind of signal yesterday and it looks like the crew weren't expecting it. Got them proper rattled. There's definitely something very strange about this area of space. Won't be sad to turn around and head home.

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 5/6
    Expedition Log: 11/11/3270

"Last batch of cargo due today, but the hyperdrive has malfunctioned. We tried jumping and got yanked straight back out. So we're stuck here, Randomius know where..."

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 6/6
    Expedition Log: 29/11/3270

"We can't fix it. Hyperdrive is dead. Lucky we're in a system with a habitable world. We've sent a distress call but who knows if anyone will here it. We're going to abandon ship. If anyone finds this, we're in..." AUTOMATED TELEMETRY REPORT: POWER FAILURE.

Hawkins Gap
    PLAA AEC IZ-N C20-1

Hawkins Gap Alpha Mission 1/4
    Expedition Log: 21/08/3270

"Damn we've come a long way. I really should have looked at the galactic map before I signed up for this. Weeks of endless travel and hyperspace jumps just to get into the vicinity of the place, and that's before we get down to the work."

Hawkins Gap Alpha Mission 2/4
    Expedition Log: 29/08/3270

"Cargo hold is rammed full of strange tech. Looks like a bunch of satellites to me, but it's all hush hush. Normal crew like me ain't allowed anywhere near them. Don't know what they're for, other than we have to drop them off in very specific locations. Weird, eh?"

Hawkins Gap Alpha Mission 3/4
    Expedition Log: 15/09/3270

"Bored rigid now, can't wait to turn around and go home. I don't care how good the money is, nothing is worth this tedium. We haven't even started the return journey yet... Randomius Factoria - save me!"

Hawkins Gap Alpha Mission 4/4
    Expedition Log: 13/10/3270

"Still, it could be worse! I could have pulled the Formidine Rift gig. Rumour is they're having to double up on ships for that one as the crews are going void-mad and ejecting themselves into space becuase they've seen ghosts. Word is there's something out there."

Conflux
    RU AESCS HW-S B31-2

Conflux Beta Mission 1/4

"Witch-space once again. We're almost to our destination in the Conflux area now. That's odd... looks like... can't be!
    You can't be interdicted in witch-space... that's impossible! We're back in normal space. Systems off-line, no power, what in Randomius is that..."

Conflux Beta Mission 2/4

"Signed on for this one as I had the exploration bug, but we're just jumping and jumping. We're not staying in systems to survey, just refuelling as fast as we can and then it's back into witch-space. We're spending more time there than in real space. Someone is in a hurry."

Conflux Beta Mission 3/4

"Reminds me of what my father told me about witch-space. it's haunted. There's weird lights, shifting clouds, who knows what they are. Makes you wonder whether we should be out here at all. So much stuff we just don't understand."

Conflux Beta Mission 4/4

"Witch-space is different out here, there's something odd, those lights we were seeing are less frequent now, but they seem to be hanging around, almost as if they're following us. Maybe I'm going nuts."

And, just for fun, all of the messages together sorted into chronological order:

Hawkins Gap Alpha Mission 1/4
    Expedition Log: 21/08/3270

"Damn we've come a long way. I really should have looked at the galactic map before I signed up for this. Weeks of endless travel and hyperspace jumps just to get into the vicinity of the place, and that's before we get down to the work."

Hawkins Gap Alpha Mission 2/4
    Expedition Log: 29/08/3270

"Cargo hold is rammed full of strange tech. Looks like a bunch of satellites to me, but it's all hush hush. Normal crew like me ain't allowed anywhere near them. Don't know what they're for, other than we have to drop them off in very specific locations. Weird, eh?"

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 1/6

"Been travelling for weeks. Passed this amazing twin nebula just recently, about the only interesting sight on this whole trip. We are a long way out now. I don't think anyone else has been this far. Still, pay is good!"

Conflux Beta Mission 2/4

"Signed on for this one as I had the exploration bug, but we're just jumping and jumping. We're not staying in systems to survey, just refuelling as fast as we can and then it's back into witch-space. We're spending more time there than in real space. Someone is in a hurry."

Conflux Beta Mission 3/4

"Reminds me of what my father told me about witch-space. it's haunted. There's weird lights, shifting clouds, who knows what they are. Makes you wonder whether we should be out here at all. So much stuff we just don't understand."

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 2/6

"Stars have thinned out and we've started dropping our cargo. Looks like some kind of long-range beacon to me. It's all hush-hush, no questions asked stuff. Heard some of the senior bods talking about a Dynasty project. Careless talk and all that..."

Hawkins Gap Alpha Mission 3/4
    Expedition Log: 15/09/3270

"Bored rigid now, can't wait to turn around and go home. I don't care how good the money is, nothing is worth this tedium. We haven't even started the return journey yet... Randomius Factoria - save me!"

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 3/6

"Nothing prepared me for the boredom. It's very dark out here. Really dark... darker than normal space. There's hardly any stars ahead of us, it's just blackness... the void."

Conflux Beta Mission 4/4

"Witch-space is different out here, there's something odd, those lights we were seeing are less frequent now, but they seem to be hanging around, almost as if they're following us. Maybe I'm going nuts."

Conflux Beta Mission 1/4

"Witch-space once again. We're almost to our destination in the Conflux area now. That's odd... looks like... can't be!
    You can't be interdicted in witch-space... that's impossible! We're back in normal space. Systems off-line, no power, what in Randomius is that..."

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 4/6

"Picked up some kind of signal yesterday and it looks like the crew weren't expecting it. Got them proper rattled. There's definitely something very strange about this area of space. Won't be sad to turn around and head home.

Hawkins Gap Alpha Mission 4/4
    Expedition Log: 13/10/3270

"Still, it could be worse! I could have pulled the Formidine Rift gig. Rumour is they're having to double up on ships for that one as the crews are going void-mad and ejecting themselves into space becuase they've seen ghosts. Word is there's something out there."

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 5/6
    Expedition Log: 11/11/3270

"Last batch of cargo due today, but the hyperdrive has malfunctioned. We tried jumping and got yanked straight back out. So we're stuck here, Randomius know where..."

Formidine Rift Beta Mission 6/6
    Expedition Log: 29/11/3270

"We can't fix it. Hyperdrive is dead. Lucky we're in a system with a habitable world. We've sent a distress call but who knows if anyone will here it. We're going to abandon ship. If anyone finds this, we're in..." AUTOMATED TELEMETRY REPORT: POWER FAILURE.

Hypothesis based on the chronological order: The signal received by the FR Beta Mission on October 1, 3270 was news of the demise of the Conflux Beta Mission that happened on the same day. That is what got the FR Beta crew rattled.

Originally Posted by Taimaru View Post (Source)
    I'm interested in the signal picked up in Rift Log #5. What and where did it come from and will we receive the same signal?
    See my post above.

Congratulations folks.

A little note on the Hawkin's Gap location. It is supposed to be labelled 'Alpha' in the text. i.e "Hawkin's Gap Alpha Mission x/4". Not sure why that didn't show up.

Cheers,

Drew.

Originally Posted by drew View Post (Source)
    Congratulations folks.

A little note on the Hawkin's Gap location. It is supposed to be labelled 'Alpha' in the text. i.e "Hawkin's Gap Alpha Mission x/4". Not sure why that didn't show up.

Cheers,

Drew.
    Thanks for the clarification Drew! Updating my transcript above to reflect that fact.

EDIT: Which seems to throw my theory about "Beta Mission" being "beta" as in "test". It looks to me like the various missions, if assembled together in the right order, might produce a coherent narrative.

Originally Posted by Nodus Cursorius View Post (Source)
    A navigational guide to the Alpha base within Hawking's Gap, system PLAA AEC IZ-N C20-1 on planet A 1 A. Brightness and contrast increased slightly due to the lighting levels that the client inconsistently does not adjust.
    http://i.imgur.com/hGrPIy7.jpg
    I was just about to ask the base name - so Alpha base would seem to confirm there are alpha, beta, gamma and delta bases to find I was worried with the first two both being beta.

Originally Posted by racer1 View Post (Source)
    I was just about to ask the base name - so Alpha base would seem to confirm there are alpha, beta, gamma and delta bases to find I was worried with the first two both being beta.
    My thinking too. I was starting to wonder if the Rift and the Conflux missions were the "test" sites and Hawkin's Gap was the real thing.

Originally Posted by hhiram View Post (Source)
    In case nobody else has seen it yet, there is an mismatched texture tile on EAFOTS EU-R C4-1 planet C2, at coordinates: 37 -35

The mismatched tile is *slightly* visible at the expedition base in the nearby system, and these mismatches were at the CTD location before the patch too.

I can't find anything here though. Maybe this content has not been turned on yet...
    I found a mis-matched tile on one of the other Formidine rift rally points, did a quick search but didn't see anything.

Originally Posted by Jaiotu View Post (Source)
    Hypothesis based on the chronological order: The signal received by the FR Beta Mission on October 1, 3270 was news of the demise of the Conflux Beta Mission that happened on the same day. That is what got the FR Beta crew rattled.
    Nice hypothesis, however, the fact the message says "some kind of signal" and then later in the message it mentions the area of space is strange suggests it may be something different and unknown. Wouldn't the log entry instead say something like "Received an unexpected message from the other group which got the crew rattled"?

Originally Posted by Taimaru View Post (Source)
    Nice hypothesis, however, the fact the message says "some kind of signal" and then later in the message it mentions the area of space is strange suggests it may be something different and unknown. Wouldn't the log entry instead say something like "Received an unexpected message from the other group which got the crew rattled"?
    The person writing the logs is not privileged to the information available to the main crew. He knows that they received some kind of signal but that is it. The signal and the author's feeling that there is something strange about the Rift are likely unconnected aside from the fact that the Crew's reaction to the signal, which he doesn't know the content of, serves to reinforce his opinion of the Rift that appears to be formulating in message 3/6.

I'm wondering if this naming convention means there is probably only one surface base to find in each cluster (Frift, Hawkins and Confluence).

Is there wikia article on this already? Amazing to follow and read.

By the way, isn't it meant to be "Hawking's Gap"? It seems that Hawkins is becoming entrenched

- - - Updated - - -

One other bit of trivia: All four Hawking's Gap rally points are on planets where the rare is antimony.

Originally Posted by crushdepth View Post (Source)
    By the way, isn't it meant to be "Hawking's Gap"? It seems that Hawkins is becoming entrenched
    The Comms log reads "Hawkins" so... I guess the Galactic Mapping Project got it wrong not the first time that the naming of one of their locations got a respelling when it made it into the game.

Originally Posted by DavidMik View Post (Source)
    Did some more testing. Draw distance for the beta site was ~40 km, can be seen in glide. Faint grey triangle. Also, it does not show up on radar in any capacity. So only eyes are useful.

http://i.imgur.com/wAPOhhU.png
    I'd recommend gliding at about 15 km while searching.

The sites should be easily visualised from there.

Without a doubt, Alpha base. Although the communications left out the name it is still visible after discovering the site.

Page 599 of 706 FirstFirst ... 589595596597598599600601602603609 ... LastLast