Page 163 of 194 FirstFirst ... 158161162163164165168 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 2896

Thread: The brand new and shiny Official ABRAKA DRABBLE Thread. (+shiny new forum)

Great to see some new blood in the contest. If you wanna go if you think yer good enough then write exactly 100 words about "Signals", set in the Elite galaxy

Exactly 100 words (the count does not include the title) arranged in a manner that will garner the most votes when I put up the poll tonight.

Post The gift that keeps on giving

"Orbital flight engaged."
    They'd done hundreds of drops just like this one.
    Searching for tech on an alien world.
    The SRVs chewed up the rocky terrain between the landing site and their destination - the centre of a huge crater.
    There stood an ancient device, clearly not built by human hands.
    "This is definitely the source of the signal, but that could be a warning, and that's a lot of EM it's giving off, probably a sizeable power source."
    "Can we turn it on?"
    "Looks simple enough, here." *CLICK*

"Orbital flight engaged."
    They'd done hundreds of drops just like this one...

Fletch's First Flying Lesson

“Right. We’re ready to move off. Remember, ‘mirror, signal, manoeuvre’. Straight up from the landing pad. A little more thrust… NOT THAT MUCH!

“OK. That was a bit close, but no harm done. Retract your landing gear, check your mirror. Now, set off towards the toast rack. Keep below 100 metres per second. Gentle forward thrust. Bit more…

“Now, there’s a Corvette coming in. What do we need to do? Boost? No, we… AAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

“OTC, this is the pilot of FNS BigBuggah, requesting a maintenance crew at landing pad 24. I need someone to scrape a Sidewinder off my windscreen.”

Miscommunication

Sven was trialling a new event at the Thargoid & Fer-De-Lance
    Things didn't start well when a guy with birds came in.
    "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" Sven had to shout.
    "I'M HERE FOR THE EVENT" the guy shouted back
    Another guy came in
    "CAN I HELP YOU?" Sven had to shout over the squawking birds
    The new man waved some flags around.
    "GET OUT BOTH OF YOU" Sven shouted "IT'S NOT BIRDS NIGHT AND IT'S NOT FLAGS NIGHT"
    The two guys left the bar.
    When quiet returned, Sven put up a sign "No Singing Gulls or Signals ... IT'S SINGLES NIGHT"

That's brilliant Pete
    If i could vote for this 3x times, i would

01 - Listeri69 - The Signwriter
    02 - RoyalHankey - Exploration trip with numpties
    03 - Erik Marcaigh - Mixed Signals
    04 - Anne Nonnymuss - Signal
    05 - Fletchmo - Right turn Clyde
    06 - Frank - You Cannae Break the Laws of Physics
    07 - psykokow - Keen In A Crisis
    08 - Isoneri - SIGNALS
    09 - Spacebaboy - Signals
    10 - FolcoTook - Did you check the cables?
    11 - Sneevus - The gift that keeps on giving
    12 - Cmdr-Wotherspoon - Fletch's First Flying Lesson
    13 - Alien - Miscommunication

I hope there'll be a few more posts before the end of the night. 13 entries is a little... unlucky

It's only unlucky for Alien

Originally Posted by Fletchmo View Post (Source)
    It's only unlucky for Alien
    "Luck is not a factor"

that's not how you play darts in space ! give us an hour or so.

Credits

Why do Universal Cartographics buy scans of a planet they've already seen? What's the value? Where's the sense?

Perhaps UC are looking for changes over time, discrepancies caused by a hidden base or crash site. Others think it's a Superpower's black op, a subsidised exploration/military intelligence program; remunerating commanders who brave the void for less than they'd pay in military pensions.

The truth is less prosaic.

From their vast data stores they have found a signal: the creators' signature, encoded in the background of every scan. As they gather more data, Universal Cartographics are slowly decrypting the names of God.

Hollywood Burns and the Temp Aisle of Dumb

Midden mulls.
    Wax-whittled smell of rustling parchment golden dipped
    nights descending silence dimly lit
    Two mmoons with but an single orbit 'flecting light so dim
    The blind man stumbles trips and sings
    watch out you silly things,you'll blow my candle out.
    When jonah kick back in de belly aff a wale
    its just noah with a j.
    cas d wale dunsenay make yourself at home
    just come and have your say
    Dido needs a letter,a gnu *** climbs the walls
    procopius him say wat ting
    polybius say balls
    All aboard the stylelark
    All aboard
    eh?oh!
    Hidden smiles

------------------------------------------------------

*Goddamu spelcheck,u firkin rabbed me
    This site is donkeyist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bleary eyed and yawning, I shall now post the poll. Anyone handing in their entries now are way way too late. <yawn>

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...st-239-Signals

I'm not sure what Phong is parodying. There's a whiff of James Joyce about it, and I'm not sure if it's genius or the ramblings of someone who's had one too many eggnogs. My favourite apparently random verbal conjunction of this sort (from Three Trapped Tigers) was "mother felucca".

Originally Posted by Cmdr-Wotherspoon View Post (Source)
    I'm not sure what Phong is parodying. There's a whiff of James Joyce about it, and I'm not sure if it's genius or the ramblings of someone who's had one too many eggnogs. My favourite apparently random verbal conjunction of this sort (from Three Trapped Tigers) was "mother felucca".
    If Phong's scrawlings start making any references to Dirty Gerty from Number Thirty he'll be frogmarched off this thread faster than you can say "but it's high art!"

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    I hope there'll be a few more posts before the end of the night. 13 entries is a little... unlucky
    Man, I wish I was number 13. You're talking to the guy with HOT-13 as his ship ID.