Page 2059 of 2912 FirstFirst ... 20492055205620572058205920602061206220632069 ... LastLast
Results 30,871 to 30,885 of 43673

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: The Star Citizen Thread v5

  1. #30871
    Originally Posted by 1500 View Post (Source)
    So you have problems with this single line and as such complain about all of it in general terms? Not sure anyone said it was a thing that got released. Do you have a quote?
    The last version that CE3 gen was released in Dec 2015. Note that CE4 was never released publicly; instead it was folded into what became the core of CE5.
    Did you miss all the other things I said were wrong in that post? The reference to CE4 was just the one that stood out on first reading. The stuff about there being a version 4 and it being folded into version 5, without a source, I call horsehockey given that a couple of days earlier he was saying it's based on CE5. Last I heard Lumberyard was forked at 3.8.1, but that's not a big exciting number that suits the narrative.
    You know what they say about mud-wrestling a pig...

  2. #30872
    Originally Posted by Ben Parry View Post (Source)
    Did you miss all the other things I said were wrong in that post? The reference to CE4 was just the one that stood out on first reading. The stuff about there being a version 4 and it being folded into version 5, without a source, I call horsehockey given that a couple of days earlier he was saying it's based on CE5. Last I heard Lumberyard was forked at 3.8.1, but that's not a big exciting number that suits the narrative.
    Is the game coming out soon and in what state. That's what most people want to hear. Fiff-faffing over an outside entity like DS getting some numbers wrong in his blog is small time garbage. You ought to be above that Ben.
    http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p260/jg_baller/Mobile%20Uploads/v6O39h3_zpseb33634d.png

  3. #30873
    So we know that CIG moved to Cryengine 3.8? Funny Tracy does not have this information.

    Of the Star Engine, Tracy told us:

    "So, 'Star Engine' has been bounced around. I don't know how absolutely official it is or anything like that. It's a pretty different version than what the CryEngine is; we branched quite a while ago. We haven't taken a new CryEngine version for quite some time – the 3.7 [or] 3.8 version of CryEngine, this was early last year – [is] where we branched off. We branched off entirely because it was getting really difficult to take the integrations. At some point, when you're developing your game on middleware, you're going to get to the point that pulling integrations is hard because you've customized it so much for your game. So, whatever changes you make to your underlying engine systems, when there's a fundamental change that comes in from your middleware provider, it's pretty difficult to consume that all the time.

    “Then you start being selective – 'OK, well, we'll take this feature but we won't take this feature.' What you don't know right out of the gate is if there's any interdependency on it. What's going to happen? You find that out usually the hard way later on.

    “We do cherry pick on occasion from our particular code base that we have, up to 3.7 or 3.8, but we've made some pretty major changes. It's been ongoing for awhile for CIG; I only came on about two-and-a-half years ago from Crytek with their engine drop versions.”
    - - - Updated - - -

    Originally Posted by Ben Parry View Post (Source)
    Did you miss all the other things I said were wrong in that post? The reference to CE4 was just the one that stood out on first reading. The stuff about there being a version 4 and it being folded into version 5, without a source, I call horsehockey given that a couple of days earlier he was saying it's based on CE5. Last I heard Lumberyard was forked at 3.8.1, but that's not a big exciting number that suits the narrative.

    So you are talking about two things. What does saying Lumberyard based on 5 or 3 have to do with the line that there was an internal build of 4? Seems you are making some odd connections to complain about.

    Do you have proof that Cryengine didn't have an internal build called 4? You understand that people do have different information then you.

    For example you claim that it is known that CIG was on 3.8, and yet. Perhaps you should talk to Tracy, he does not even know what the last build of Cryengine CIG upgraded to and keep referencing both 3.7 and 3.8
    "Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life, probably have very sad death, but at least there is symmetry."

    "She's a beautiful ship. Shapely, seductive. I'm gonna fly her brains out." --Captain Zapp Brannigan

  4. #30874
    Originally Posted by Jezzah View Post (Source)
    Is the game coming out soon and in what state. That's what most people want to hear. Fiff-faffing over an outside entity like DS getting some numbers wrong in his blog is small time garbage. You ought to be above that Ben.
    Above that?
    It's like you don't know me at all. I'm all about the numbers. And if an outside entity like DS wants to be super duper wrong about a lot of technical things, then I've got the time to say he's wrong about those things.
    You know what they say about mud-wrestling a pig...

  5. #30875
    At least no-one came up with anything stupid to add to the confusion like StarEngine!

  6. #30876
    Originally Posted by Ben Parry View Post (Source)
    Above that?
    It's like you don't know me at all. I'm all about the numbers. And if an outside entity like DS wants to be super duper wrong about a lot of technical things, then I've got the time to say he's wrong about those things.
    Except he's not talking about those numbers here he posted a link to a blog where he gets it wrong. You've chosen to pick on all that here rather than I don't know...taking the argument to the blog page or whatever.
    http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p260/jg_baller/Mobile%20Uploads/v6O39h3_zpseb33634d.png

  7. #30877
    Originally Posted by 1500 View Post (Source)
    So we know that CIG moved to Cryengine 3.8? Funny Tracy does not have this information.
    Sean's an artist, he doesn't have much incentive to care about exact version numbers. Despite this, he's basically right that it's a branch of 3.7-3.8-ish, and he's talking openly about it.

    Originally Posted by 1500 View Post (Source)
    So you are talking about two things. What does saying Lumberyard based on 5 or 3 have to do with the line that there was an internal build of 4? Seems you are making some odd connections to complain about.
    Do you have proof that Cryengine didn't have an internal build called 4? You understand that people do have different information then you.
    He says Lumberyard was based on a mythical CryEngine 4. Last week he said it was based on CryEngine 5. Sure I can't disprove that there was an internal build called 4, and Lumberyard was based on that, and one of his ever-reliable internal sources let him know all about it... but I'm sticking to Occam's Razor on that one.

    Originally Posted by 1500 View Post (Source)
    For example you claim that it is known that CIG was on 3.8, and yet. Perhaps you should talk to Tracy, he does not even know what the last build of Cryengine CIG upgraded to and keep referencing both 3.7 and 3.8
    We're on 3.7 with bits of 3.8. Sean's right.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Originally Posted by Jezzah View Post (Source)
    Except he's not talking about those numbers here he posted a link to a blog where he gets it wrong. You've chosen to pick on all that here rather than I don't know...taking the argument to the blog page or whatever.
    Eagleboy asked me what he had wrong. I tole him.

  8. #30878
    An engine change? Meh...just add it the pile of crap I don't give a rat's behind about while the game is severely delayed. There iswould be only one headline that is worth any attention now...Squadron 42 is Released, Download Now
    Commander Monk Edgecomb
    Duke, HIP 16858

    “If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”

  9. #30879
    Originally Posted by Ben Parry View Post (Source)

    He says Lumberyard was based on a mythical CryEngine 4. Last week he said it was based on CryEngine 5. Sure I can't disprove that there was an internal build called 4, and Lumberyard was based on that, and one of his ever-reliable internal sources let him know all about it... but I'm sticking to Occam's Razor on that one.


    We're on 3.7 with bits of 3.8. Sean's right.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Eagleboy asked me what he had wrong. I tole him.
    Do you have a quote for DS saying that lumberyard is based on Cryengine 4? Or is this another instance of you making a crazy connection.

    Also Sean can't be right when he says they are up to 3.7 or 3.8, as one is required for the other, it is not an OR answer.

    Edit:.

    You were just complaining that DS was saying lumberyard was based on CE5 so witch is it? Or is it yet another or answer because not sure?

    Originally Posted by Ben Parry View Post (Source)
    Did you miss all the other things I said were wrong in that post? The reference to CE4 was just the one that stood out on first reading. The stuff about there being a version 4 and it being folded into version 5, without a source, I call horsehockey given that a couple of days earlier he was saying it's based on CE5. Last I heard Lumberyard was forked at 3.8.1, but that's not a big exciting number that suits the narrative.
    "Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life, probably have very sad death, but at least there is symmetry."

    "She's a beautiful ship. Shapely, seductive. I'm gonna fly her brains out." --Captain Zapp Brannigan

  10. #30880
    Does it even matter at this point?

    We have gone from...
    SC is a Cryengine game! And will save PC gaming for everybody!
    SC created Starengine! The cutting edge technolegy that will realize the dream that is SC and will be a good income when we sell that engine!
    SC has become a partner to Amazons Lumberjack! Everything is awesome and there will be no problems at all for the future of SC now that amazon is "backing" us!

    It kinda get old you know....

  11. #30881
    Originally Posted by ianw View Post (Source)
    At least no-one came up with anything stupid to add to the confusion like StarEngine!
    Originally Posted by Ben Parry View Post (Source)
    The reason the CE version number for StarEngine is unknown is because 3.7 was the last full-version update taken
    Sorry :<
    "This minor faction seems surprisingly dismissive of your power, given that they are pathetic in comparison to your lordly brilliance.
    Perhaps if other people had the same excellent opinion of you that you have of yourself, diplomatic efforts would go more smoothly."

  12. #30882
    Originally Posted by 1500 View Post (Source)
    Do you have a quote for DS saying that lumberyard is based on Cryengine 4?
    “I can’t wait to read the part where they decide to either port to Unity5 or to Lumberyard, Amazon’s version of CryEngine4. Not to mention CryEngine5 which is more advanced/modern than CryEngine4.”
    Originally Posted by 1500 View Post (Source)
    Also Sean's can't be right when he says they are up to 3.7 or 3.8, as one is required for the other, it is not an OR answer.
    Yeah, so, you update fully to 3.7, then some subset of features gets pulled in from 3.8. From an artist's perspective, some stuff now works like 3.7, some stuff works like 3.8. Depending on the feature you're looking at, you're at 3.7 or 3.8.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Originally Posted by Maruun View Post (Source)
    Does it even matter at this point?

    We have gone from...
    SC is a Cryengine game! And will save PC gaming for everybody!
    SC created Starengine! The cutting edge technolegy that will realize the dream that is SC and will be a good income when we sell that engine!
    SC has become a partner to Amazons Lumberjack! Everything is awesome and there will be no problems at all for the future of SC now that amazon is "backing" us!

    It kinda get old you know....
    People who discuss Lumberyard as if it's some kind of panacea are either ill-informed or arguing with a strawman. Maybe it's just... a good tech decision with some benefits to be had. Or, hey, a bad tech decision with some benefits to be had.

  13. #30883
    Originally Posted by Jezzah View Post (Source)
    Except he's not talking about those numbers here he posted a link to a blog where he gets it wrong. You've chosen to pick on all that here rather than I don't know...taking the argument to the blog page or whatever.
    Oh common, we discuss linked info here non-stop. You may not enjoy DS being clearly wrong, but discussing that is just as valid as discussing CR's BS.

    Ceterum censeo Pythem esse nerfam

  14. #30884
    Originally Posted by Ben Parry View Post (Source)
    “I can’t wait to read the part where they decide to either port to Unity5 or to Lumberyard, Amazon’s version of CryEngine4. Not to mention CryEngine5 which is more advanced/modern than CryEngine4.”

    Yeah, so, you update fully to 3.7, then some subset of features gets pulled in from 3.8. From an artist's perspective, some stuff now works like 3.7, some stuff works like 3.8. Depending on the feature you're looking at, you're at 3.7 or 3.8.

    - - - Updated - - -


    People who discuss Lumberyard as if it's some kind of panacea are either ill-informed or arguing with a strawman. Maybe it's just... a good tech decision with some benefits to be had. Or, hey, a bad tech decision with some benefits to be had.
    Oh I see, so all then ranting was about a post made back in April. Interesting how lots of people were not sure what it was based on. What an odd thing to focus on. Do you also then have a quote for lumberyard being based on CryEngine 5? You claim he inflated the number to make it more exciting. So when did he do that? I also want to get excited by a meaningless naming number and over inflating them. Like how CIG does this with 1.0, 2.0, 2.6 and such when it not even out of pre-alpha. But no CIG would never artificially inflate their numbers to make it look better then it is, 1.6 million people playing SC also agree.
    "Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life, probably have very sad death, but at least there is symmetry."

    "She's a beautiful ship. Shapely, seductive. I'm gonna fly her brains out." --Captain Zapp Brannigan

  15. #30885
    Originally Posted by Ben Parry View Post (Source)
    People who discuss Lumberyard as if it's some kind of panacea are either ill-informed or arguing with a strawman. Maybe it's just... a good tech decision with some benefits to be had. Or, hey, a bad tech decision with some benefits to be had.
    Only time will tell...but from past experience as a couch developer with his beer in one hand...i have not much confidence that anything good will come out of it...just more buckets full of lolz.
    I cant even get lower with my expectations at this point and CIG was able to impress me in many negative ways this year alone.

    *looks into a mirror* pure frustration at this point.

Page 2059 of 2912 FirstFirst ... 20492055205620572058205920602061206220632069 ... LastLast