Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to effeciently approach engineering

Some of the most logical info on engineers I seen yet. + Rep and bookmarking this for future reference.

Originally Posted by Belthize View Post (Source)
    Since polonium seems to be a popular issue I'll go get some and post some points on finding it with minimum effort in the next day or so.
    Added a bit about finding polonium (any rare/very rare surface mineral really) based on a run this morning.

Missed this thread, it's good to see some constructive comments for a change.

The only advice I really disagree with is being a mission hobo. IMO it's far more constructive to set up shop in a system and work on allying yourself with a faction in that system, as well as a faction in neighboring systems.

edit: the reason for this is that in my experience, being on friendly terms with a faction gives better missions and better rewards. It seems to me that holds true in 2.1 regarding materials and commodities as rewards.

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)

The only advice I really disagree with is being a mission hobo. IMO it's far more constructive to set up shop in a system and work on allying yourself with a faction in that system, as well as a faction in neighboring systems.
    My Expierence so far is that having high rep with a faction is only about getting missions with higher credit reward, Cargo and Material rewards for use with engineer don't seem to be tied to rep with a faction, I get loads of very rare stuff from factions I never worked with before.

Working for one faction does not hurt of course, but I would definitly highly recommend to check the mission board on every place a mission sends you to, or if you just travel a longer distance to a diffrent place checking mission boards on the way here and got me many good rewards. But in the end travelin around a bit is good I thin, because I do belive diffrent regions, goverments and system states can give higher chances to have certain cargo and materials as rewards. Thats just an impression tough, I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by Darkfyre99 View Post (Source)

edit: the reason for this is that in my experience, being on friendly terms with a faction gives better missions and better rewards. It seems to me that holds true in 2.1 regarding materials and commodities as rewards.
    No disagreement there. My primary interest in ED is the lore from books. I've read all of them so I tend to sniff around places referenced in the books looking for the occasional tidbit of information.

So I tend to be a hobo with a locus, I bounce around the vicinity of places like Lave, or Prism, or Peregrina and slowly improve my reputation with them.

Awesome tips and tricks here, 1 rep for you!

So I don't really need cargo racks for this, everything engineering related goes into the 600 things box?

What do I do with all the data I've been finding?

Originally Posted by Quineloe View Post (Source)
    So I don't really need cargo racks for this, everything engineering related goes into the 600 things box?

What do I do with all the data I've been finding?
    Data is stored in a 200 unit buffer in your escape pod, don't worry about it.
    Some engineer ingredients are commodities that use cargo space. They do not fit in the 600 item buffer. They use 1 ton cargo space apiece, like regular cargo.

Check your Right Side Panel, the ship inventory has all this stuff.

To the OP:
    Very helpful info, Cmdr. Repped.

THANK YOU
    that is all

hmmmm modded stuff sells for a profit

Excellent write up Belthize. I'd figured out a couple of these, but I learned a lot of new things I had been wondering about as well. +Rep. Cheers

Close to my approach.

I would add "Cracked Industrial Firmware" to the list as this one should be common but 3 Level 5 important mods need 2-3 of those. I took every mission with it but still running short now. Also 'Pharmaceutical Isolators' and 'Improvised Components' belong on the mission list. Yes they can be obtained in certain systems, but running a 5 minute mission beats a 30 minute hunt for encoded transmission uss in outbreak or civil war systems.
    And of course Polonium needs to be on that list. I actually found 12 on missions. Beats hunting on planets...

However I feel like not keeping the commodities with me and only get them when I make the engineer run close to topping my 600 mark. As I noted the rewards on missions I have certain stations where I know that mission only commodities will show at least when mode switching there. Once Level 5 those don't matter much anyway as the level 5 ones are buyable.
    The reason for not keeping those mainly is that NPC less likly interdict and secondly I can switch to ships with little cargo easily.

For me it seems like Planetary Stations have better materials as mission rewards as space stations but I am still not able to tell exactly.

But what do I actually do with all that data?

never mind, figured out it's just another "item" in blueprints

That's why it's gone after you use it, because data can't be just copied. Oh boy this update is so well thought through.

Great job, Bel, linked in the Spreadsheet

Also, a spreadsheet to collect data, etc., it's been on the way for a long time on the Engineering Doc, it's just people don't care to share. I made another thread, easier and more visible here. Just post, we'll process into the spreadsheet.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast