Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 122

Thread: How to effeciently approach engineering

  1. #61
    Originally Posted by Qohen Leth View Post (Source)
    But I meant, I don't catch him advising people to look up this app, that tool, etc. Not that it fixes anything in the game, but that's a temporary solution at least.
    Because in a good game design, you shouldn't have to go outside the game to get the knowledge you need to complete it. Trading (which people frequently use external tools for) is actually quite easy to do with in-game tools - you can view trade data from the galmap (once you've visited the systems you want to trade with), and the commodities market tells you imported/exported/produced systems and the prices at them. Before the "news" update for Engineers, there was little clue (apart from vague tooltips) how to obtain materials or what activities would provide them.

    You say "oh people have written how to do it, just look it up" - yes people have been publishing "How to beat game X in 5 minutes" guides since the web began, but that doesn't mean we want or should need to do such things. I agree that this is not a puzzle/adventure game where the gameplay is figuring out the solution, but "how to get materials to craft a shiny new module" should be intuitive enough that we don't need to break the 4th wall and use external tools.

  2. #62
    Originally Posted by ndrwc View Post (Source)
    Because in a good game design, you shouldn't have to go outside the game to get the knowledge you need to complete it. Trading (which people frequently use external tools for) is actually quite easy to do with in-game tools - you can view trade data from the galmap (once you've visited the systems you want to trade with), and the commodities market tells you imported/exported/produced systems and the prices at them. Before the "news" update for Engineers, there was little clue (apart from vague tooltips) how to obtain materials or what activities would provide them.

    You say "oh people have written how to do it, just look it up" - yes people have been publishing "How to beat game X in 5 minutes" guides since the web began, but that doesn't mean we want or should need to do such things. I agree that this is not a puzzle/adventure game where the gameplay is figuring out the solution, but "how to get materials to craft a shiny new module" should be intuitive enough that we don't need to break the 4th wall and use external tools.
    It's a fine point and I absolutely agree. But I was only wondering, and what you said doesn’t intefere with the fact that linking those external tools could help people anyway. And quote : You say "oh people have written how to do it, just look it up" That’s not quite what i said. Nor do I imply that we would need or want to use external tools. Be accurate when you try to make a point.

  3. #63
    Originally Posted by Belthize View Post (Source)
    Fine, you asked the best way, I told you, you found them. There's 143 threads over there ----> for discussing RNG and grind. I have my opinions on the topic too but this isn't the thread for it.
    It was your choice to argue this was a good result. I objectively pointed out how long it took.

  4. #64
    Originally Posted by Quineloe View Post (Source)
    It was your choice to argue this was a good result. I objectively pointed out how long it took.
    You're welcome ?

    Actually that. You asked a question, what's the best way to find the bloody things. I told you. I don't actually give two s whether you find any or not. If you ask for help I'll provide it, if you want to and moan about the game I might actually agree with you but here's the point, do it the elsewhere.

  5. #65
    Originally Posted by Belthize View Post (Source)
    You're welcome ?
    Your logic is that you are allowed to declare this a good result, but I am not allowed to declare it a bad result, because there's other threads for that.

    Are you expecting more of a thank you than I have already given?

  6. #66
    Originally Posted by Quineloe View Post (Source)
    Your logic is that you are allowed to declare this a good result, but I am not allowed to declare it a bad result, because there's other threads for that.


    Are you expecting more of a thank you than I have already given?

    I didn't ask for , I don't care whether you provide any thanks, I don't even care whether you find any firmwares. You asked a question how best to find the damn things. I told you, You went and did what I suggested and posted a screen shot. I mistakenly assumed you were providing evidence that it worked and 3 in 2 hours beats the hell out of weeks of randomly checking mission boards. But apparently I was mistaken, what you wanted to do was about the game at which point I suggested you do it in some other thread.


    So I guess in terms of what I'd personally like, I'd like for you to post your opinions about the game in one of the many many many threads that exist rather than here. Beyond that I don't really give a what you do.

  7. #67
    Originally Posted by Qohen Leth View Post (Source)
    It's a fine point and I absolutely agree. But I was only wondering, and what you said doesn’t intefere with the fact that linking those external tools could help people anyway. And quote : You say "oh people have written how to do it, just look it up" That’s not quite what i said. Nor do I imply that we would need or want to use external tools. Be accurate when you try to make a point.
    My apologies, it was not aimed at you in particular - it was in the plural "(many of) you (in this forum)..." sense.

    Re-reading what you said...

    But I meant, I don't catch him advising people to look up this app, that tool, etc. Not that it fixes anything in the game, but that's a temporary solution at least.
    ... I agree

  8. #68
    I apologize for the maximum overrustle of your jimmies by posting my opinion in this thread rather than one of the 143 threads about drop rates and boring gameplay

  9. #69
    How to efficiently approach RNG ? hum...

  10. #70
    Originally Posted by ndrwc View Post (Source)
    My apologies, it was not aimed at you in particular - it was in the plural "(many of) you (in this forum)..." sense.

    Re-reading what you said...



    ... I agree

    All good

  11. #71
    This is sooo cool. I placed it on my Chrome task bar for future reference. +1 Rep to the OP.

  12. #72
    When I wrote this it was my opinion that rep gains through modules was much faster than trade, data or bounties (as appropriate). Apparently with 2.1.03 at least Tod McQuinn is providing a bit more rep for bounties so ....

    If you've turned in bounties to Tod for rep, particularly at the grade 4 level, is it merely better than it was or is it actually competitive with making modules in terms of time spent and rep gained. Not more entertaining, that's kind of obvious, but is it actually faster ?

    I guess the same goes for any of the other engineers in terms of trade, data or bounties and rep gains.

  13. #73
    how much progress is 1m worth of bounties? If it's 5% or more, it's way faster than collecting the rare level 4 stuff

  14. #74
    My tool has been updated with more information and visual friendly colouring. Enjoy See OP for download destination.

  15. #75
    Originally Posted by Fire Dragon View Post (Source)
    My tool has been updated with more information and visual friendly colouring. Enjoy See OP for download destination.
    Nice.