Page 208 of 643 First 204206207208209210212 Last
Results 3,106 to 3,120 of 9636

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: UAs, Barnacles & other mysteries Thread 7 - The Canonn

Originally Posted by Bluedeer View Post (Source)
    I can confirm that on Merope 5C, around -77, -1 in the large crater near the middle there is strange music even with music turned off, and the occasional rumblings of what sounds like Barnacle digging, but there is no barnacle sounds there. Camera panning doesn't reveal anything underground so it doesn't appear to be a rendering glitch, but I thought this was worthy of note. Has anyone else noticed similar in other sites around Merope?

Nothing on Wave Scanner except for the usual mineral-bearing rocks and such. Proceeding along a heading of 270-ish to investigate different types of craters to see if there is a pattern here.

The music can be heard from the ship, but it may be easily missed with the rest of engine noise. Best way to hear is to drop your SRV and turn the wave scanner off to avoid interference. The rumbling is noticable with or without the wave scanner. Thus far I don't think the music is significant really, it seems to me more an ambient sound, but somewhat masks other sounds if you're not paying attention.

* Edit 01 - Checking a second similar crater at -77, 15. Similar Results. Space-type music, and deep rumbling. This is another large crater with a central peak.
    * Edit 02 - Checking large crater at -77, 25. No Central Peak. Space-type music, rumbling can be heard, but sounds rather distant.
    * Edit 03 - Checking medium crater at -76, 35. No Central Peak. Rumbling can still be heard, but sounds even more distant.

Conclusion: I don't think the music is significant, really, other than to mask other sounds we might hear. The rumbling, however, I think is significant. We know that there is something happening on Merope 5C, and we know there are barnacles there, but rumbling similar to that we've heard around barnacles can be heard elsewhere without them. Whether this is indicating there are barnacles nearby we just haven't seen yet, or something else entirely at this point is unclear.
    I didn't reach the end of this thread (still!) so I don't know if somebody had replied you already.

That "music" you hear... Was your ship pointing towards de galactic core? When I was in the Formidine Rift I usually turned off every single system except Life support, turned off Flight Assist (your ship makes a lot of noises, even sensors) and let the ship spin slowly just to hear in different directions.

Sometimes I heard sounds like radio noises and other weird sounds (I was 8KLy from the bubble), but I didn't figure out any pattern or special direction, except with the galactic core:
    When you point your ship towards the core there is a sound like a "chorus" (I don't know how describe it.... sort of "UaaaaaŠ" sound ).

Could be the same sound? If not, can you post a video or something with it?

Thanks for sharing it

Originally Posted by CMDR Arguendo View Post (Source)
    Just a quick stop in here before hitting the sack.
    My initial attempt at a spreadsheet for the UP Search can be found here. Feedback will be much appreciated. Especially about any info columns that are missing/obsolete, formatting, etc. Haven't done too many Google Spreadsheets, so consider this a novice attempt, at best!

On the FrontPage. +REP

Anyway, my rank is Elite.

You say the rumbling noise got quieter as you travelled in one direction...did you look in the opposite direction to see if it got louder? Maybe -77 05, -77 15...Could be nothing, could be an audio hint as to somethings location, if no-one else has time to check I'll head over when I finish work

Should we stop the Feds?

As we know, the Feds wants naval expansion towards the Pleiades: https://community.elitedangerous.com...57ba016084db88

If we want to, I think we can stop them (at least if FD lets us).

The CG will run from Ramsbottom Hub in Segovan. A station with a black market. If we take it down with UAs, the mission board will close. Without a mission board, it's hard to run a CG.

Segovan is only 143ly form Izanami. On Izanami A 4 A (-2.2541, 145.1307) we can hoard as many UA we like, with the old 'Meta-Alloy re-log' trick. Dirty but effective.

A few tips for UA hauling:

- Have enough range to go all the way without scooping fuel(add extra fuel tank if needed). Jump as soon as the FDS cooldown is complete.
    - Have as many modules as you can installed. Only one module takes damage at the time.
    - Carry extra cargo. If you have 7 UA and 50 tonnes of Hydrogen fuel in your hold chances are you don't lose any UAs, even if you have hatch failure in super cruise.
    - Use AMFU as soon as critical components are damaged. Keep an eye on the heat-sinks. They take lots of damage and will auto-fire on module malfunction.
    - If you have a decent life support, canopy is not a critical component.

Start with a few UAs on the first run and increase as you get confident.

If you have access to Corrosion resistant cargo racks, use them!

Ask Jmains if you need expert help.

I'm going away on holiday on Sunday. That leaves two nights of limited play time for me. I will not be able to close it my self.

So - should we do this?

And now for something completely different:

Just had a thought regarding the UP purrs. It's a binary encoding of sorts. Morse with no spaces didn't get me anywhere. Another binary encoding would be a baconian cipher. The standard baconian cipher doesn't yield anything legible. Could still be a non-standard baconian with a different substitution scheme, but I don't know if that could be figured out (probably not).

Ah, I haven't tried it from a Pad, only a computer. I was considering a "Legend" but I didn't really find a good way to implement it. Perhaps I'll put that in a separate sheet. I'm hoping those with Pads are able to swap sheets.
    The "highest rank" thing is atleast semi-debunked, with atleast one commander being master finding it when not in a wing. I'm still waiting for feedback from other CMDRs who have reported a convoy to fill out the missing fields, but I don't expect to be able to fill them in for all unfortunately.
    unfortunately you are deliberately ignoring the amount of time non elite commanders had spent waiting for the USS to appear and focus only in the number of findings.

unfortunately we have no idea about the time spent by elite commanders in a wing either, so... hard to say if it affects at all.

in two days of about 4h each (8h in total) the same days you were finding ups in Ross I found 0 convoys, just a fact, RNG fact?

Originally Posted by Tharrn View Post (Source)

Just had a thought regarding the UP purrs. It's a binary encoding of sorts. Morse with no spaces didn't get me anywhere. Another binary encoding would be a baconian cipher. The standard baconian cipher doesn't yield anything legible. Could still be a non-standard baconian with a different substitution scheme, but I don't know if that could be figured out (probably not).
    Great research, it's always good to have more minds and experience on things like this. I don't think it can be a baconian cipher though... the purrs don't repeat a low or high note more than twice in a row ever. This is signicant as if it's binary data, the only way we can get the full range of values out of a multiple bit word is if the signal is grouped into 2 bit pairs... Even at three bits we'd never see 0 (000/low low low) or 7 (111/high high high) as those patterns don't ever happen.

Originally Posted by Tharrn View Post (Source)

The main problem with the purrs (UA, UP and barnacle) is that we have never been able to find any repeating pattern. Even in loooong recordings, the 'message' is ever changing.

Originally Posted by Han_Zen View Post (Source)
    The main problem with the purrs (UA, UP and barnacle) is that we have never been able to find any repeating pattern. Even in loooong recordings, the 'message' is ever changing.

<tinfoil hat>Anyone compared it or tried a transform to the Blue Danube?</tinfoil hat>

Originally Posted by Han_Zen View Post (Source)
    Should we stop the Feds?

As we know, the Feds wants naval expansion towards the Pleiades: https://community.elitedangerous.com...57ba016084db88

If we want to, I think we can stop them (at least if FD lets us).

The CG will run from Ramsbottom Hub in Segovan. A station with a black market. If we take it down with UAs, the mission board will close. Without a mission board, it's hard to run a CG.

Segovan is only 143ly form Izanami. On Izanami A 4 A (-2.2541, 145.1307) we can hoard as many UA we like, with the old 'Meta-Alloy re-log' trick. Dirty but effective.

A few tips for UA hauling:

- Have enough range to go all the way without scooping fuel(add extra fuel tank if needed). Jump as soon as the FDS cooldown is complete.
    - Have as many modules as you can installed. Only one module takes damage at the time.
    - Carry extra cargo. If you have 7 UA and 50 tonnes of Hydrogen fuel in your hold chances are you don't lose any UAs, even if you have hatch failure in super cruise.
    - Use AMFU as soon as critical components are damaged. Keep an eye on the heat-sinks. They take lots of damage and will auto-fire on module malfunction.
    - If you have a decent life support, canopy is not a critical component.

Start with a few UAs on the first run and increase as you get confident.

If you have access to Corrosion resistant cargo racks, use them!

Ask Jmains if you need expert help.

I'm going away on holiday on Sunday. That leaves two nights of limited play time for me. I will not be able to close it my self.

So - should we do this?
    I personally am supporting the Feds expansion, although I am extremely suspicious of their motives. Think about it, they said they were protecting a barnacle now they are launching a full blown expansion into the Pleiades... They obviously have learned something or know something we don't. Another thing that is curious to me is that they have not had any backlash from theimperials or the alliance about this. Not to mention their aggressive expansions around Sirius.

I think the UA bombing is a cool idea though imagine if something unique ended up happening? I wonder how determined the Federation is about this expansion and if how they would respond to opposition?

If they're going to put a shipyard and outfitting facilities in the Pleiades I say let them. You can try and wrest control later on.

Just in case some sceptics doubt the convoy on Wolf had UP aboard:

Originally Posted by locastan View Post (Source)
    Just in case some sceptics doubt the convoy on Wolf had UP aboard:
    https://i.gyazo.com/2f40e7c569dd4355...4ba67043b1.png
    Its a bit suspicous how they are carrying reactive armour,perhaps they deploy troops to a planet and secure the UP?

i think im thinking too much....

I found this warning sticker. I think it sums up nicely, the theories we have covered so far on UAs, UPs and barnacles.

This is very interesting to me. How did you use your knowledge of the game mechanics to help you discover the UP? By your reference to the UA Convoys above, it should be pretty much random, but this part means it's not. So which part of the Convoys are not "as random" as the rest, by your experience? Is it perhaps the Wing and/or Elite mentioned below? Or something else? I am genuinely interested in the background for this, as it may help me and others finding more.
    A good knowledge of game mechanics helped me to find the FIRST UP convoy. It will not raise your chances to find the others.

Everything went in a very similar way to the UA, and I've been suspecting it since point 1:
    1) a new "unknown" commodity shows up under the forbidden items list, in many systems.
    2) Game mechanics: ways to find this kind of "special" commodities in game so far? Random USS (Convoys or free floating), Missions. But the same items you find in missions, you'll find in random USS even without missions.
    So, remembering the UA and its Strong Signal Sources USS, I simply decided to check all the Hi Threat Signal Sources I'd find, Especially Convoys, almost sure nobody was checking them. That's why I equipped my ship properly: Wake Scanner, Cargo Scanner, Hatch breaker limpets, sacrificing my utility slots.
    I did it while playing normally, doing my game things, I mean without changing my way of playing the game: in fact I was in the Sirius area, because I was grinding for Qwent.
    And there it was the Convoy. The only particularity is that it happened while I was running a mission to get some materials. A Boom Data Delivery one.

So, again: RNG + Strict Game Mechanics.

If there is one sure thing we've learned from this year and more of doing everything came in our mind with UAs and Barnacles, is that ED Game Mechanics are CARVED IN THE STONE. There is no much space for improvisation, or strange things, even if they are funny to try

Cheers.