Page 1 of 8 1235 Last

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Newsletter #130

Newsletter #130

Greetings Commander,
    Welcome to the Elite Dangerous Newsletter #130. This week we take a look at some great content from the community in our Horizons Highlights, bring you important news about upcoming changes and adjustments to The Engineers and give you all the details of our huge Summer sale.

As always, you can hear the latest news and updates directly from the development team on our Forums, Twitter, Facebook, Community Homepage, and right here in the newsletter every week, and we're always eager to hear your feedback.

Pick up the Elite Dangerous: Horizons Season Pass today for only £13.39, €16.74, $20.09 or RUB 997,63.

Horizons Highlights

We’re always impressed by the screenshots and videos our community post on social media and our forums… here’s a collection of a few of our favourites from this week.

The Capital Ship sitting very close to the surface of Merope 2A has definitely not gone unnoticed. Commanders have explored, attacked and investigated this monolith of a ship. But CMDRs DrStone and Aveau aren’t afraid to traverse the unknown, taking their SRV up and going boldly where no SRV has dared to go before. For science!

One of the reasons that C4ptainC4ptain loves the Diamondback Explorer is its versatility and its ability to land just about anywhere. We’re wondering what other extreme landing conditions other CMDRs have witnessed on planetary surfaces.

A small tribute from redditor /u/HatefulSnake who shows off the majesty of the Imperial Clipper in what he calls a Tribute to Horizons. We salute you, CMDR, and hope you enjoy continued success whilst basking in the Imperial Clipper.

The Engineers Update

You may well have seen our recent posts after The Engineers (2.1) which highlight some of the feedback that we’ve taken on board and changes we’ve made based on that feedback. You’ll have noticed that we’ve made a number of server and point updates including a host of immediate bug fixes and balances to NPC behaviour as well as allowing you to select the experimental modification type from Engineers, reducing the rare allocations to make the unlocking of Engineers easier and local news articles at Engineers bases to give more information on where to find specific materials.

However, that’s not all, as ever we are working hard to ensure that player feedback is at the heart of Elite Dangerous and we just wanted to share with you a few more changes that we are planning for our next major point update. We are aiming for the end of July/Early August (there may be a few minor point updates and stability fixes before then).

In order to continue to address the feedback raised regarding both the grind and RNG nature of The Engineers we’re going to making the following changes;

- We will be adjusting the way the surface scanner works to allow you to see what materials are available from any given planet. This should make locating materials far easier.
    - In addition we are making a number of changes to the lowest level blueprints. This includes improving the positive effects of low level upgrade results as well as reducing the cost and simplifying the materials needed.
    - We’re also increasing the number of units you get for each instance of a material you find. This means instead of getting one unit of a material, you will get multiple units of that material. This will allow you to increase the number of attempts at each Engineer.
    - We’ll be increasing the number of materials spawned when surface mining. Again, to make the process easier and the materials easier to gather.
    - The likelihood of finding rare materials in these instances will also be increased, meaning it will be easier to use higher level blueprints.
    - And we will be reviewing the balance and locations of non-planet salvage and reviewing the possible USS locations for each material

Not to mention the changes that we’ve made in the recent point update. To be able to select your weapon upgrade and give you control over what module you leave with, reducing the requirements to unlock certain Engineers and increasing the visibility of where materials can be sourced, should help to make the Engineers more accessible and more rewarding for players venturing down to the planet surface in search of a new upgrade.

As always the development team will continue to read and review your feedback to allow us to make the best possible experience for the community.

Thank you for your continued patience and support.

Summer Sale

Until 4th July we have a massive selection of Game Extras discounted across all platforms including paintjobs and bobbleheads on the Frontier Store and Xbox One Marketplace so you can unlock a host of customisation for your favourite ships!

Additionally, until the same date, you can also take advantage of a 33% discount off selected Elite Dangerous bundles on Steam and the Frontier store including Elite Dangerous, Elite Dangerous: Horizons Season Pass, and Elite Dangerous CMDR Deluxe Edition!

Pick up the Elite Dangerous: Horizons Season Pass today for only £13.39, €16.74, $20.09 or RUB 997,63.

Dangerous Games - Rise to Power

This week in the Dangerous Games we saw the final wildcard Community Goals take place and the group who will be joining the finalists to battle it out to become a full power in the game has been decided. It was a long series of Community Goals and the groups that took part were extremely dedicated, every one of them should be immensely proud of their achievements.

However, only one can progress and EG Pilots, our Russian Speaking Community will be joining AEDC, The Border Coalition, GalCop, ICU and SEPP as they battle it out to ascend up into a full power. Join us as we will be finding out more about all of the groups involved in the finals and setting them some fun challenges too! Be sure to tune in on our official YouTube channel , Tuesday 28 June at 7pm BST.

Educating Ed - First Great Expedition

Educating Ed is back and this time he’s taking a trip with the well-loved player group First Great Expedition. From the beginnings of group exploration to a fellowship of galactic explorers - the First Great Expedition has come a long way. Join the Galactic Intern as he embarks on this momentous journey live on our Official YouTube channel Thursday 30 June at 7pm BST.

Community Event - YouTubers Podcast

Save a date in the diary as some of the biggest video makers in the Elite Dangerous community invite you to join them and talk about a range of topics. Join Kornelius Briedis, Obsidian Ant, ChaosWulff, Vindicator jones, and Troa Barton at 2pm BST Sunday 26 June on Vindicator Jones’ channel.

GalNet Focus

Welcome to our weekly roundup of news stories and events in the Elite: Dangerous galaxy.

With the third and final stage of the Dangerous Games Wildcard competition over, the results of each heat have been reviewed to determine which faction received the most support over the course of the campaign. The final result indicates that the winner of the Wildcard competition is the EG Pilots. The victors will now enter the Rise to Power campaign, which will begin on the 30th of June 3302.

Recent reports indicate the Empire is attempting to take the Daramo system from the Federation. An emergency call for aid has been issued to all Federation-aligned pilots, while the Empire has put out a similar request to Imperial pilots. Both sides have set out week-long operations to take control of the system.

A spokesperson for the technologically progressive enclave Utopia confirmed that its appeal for exploration data has reached a successful conclusion. In a statement, the spokesperson confirmed that the campaign received the enthusiastic support of the galactic community, resulting in large quantities of fresh exploration data. Simguru Pranav Antal, leader of Utopia and architect of the initiative, released a statement thanking those who supported the campaign.

Community Goals Update

Greetings, Commanders, and welcome to this week’s community goals blog. If you’re looking for a goal, the breakdown below should help:

The Battle of Daramo – Federation
    Knights Port, Daramo system – Help the Federation defend the Daramo system from the Empire by handing in Combat Bonds at Knights Port.

The Battle of Daramo – Empire
    Birkeland Dock, Daramo system – Help the Empire take the Daramo system from the Federation by handing in Combat Bonds at Birkeland Dock.

The Battle for Daramo
    The Daramo system is currently under Federal control, but recent reports indicate that both Imperial and independent forces are attempting to wrest power from the Federation.

The Federation is evidently not about to capitulate. In a statement, Admiral Yorke of the Federal Navy said:

“The Daramo system is of considerable strategic value to the Federation, and we will not surrender it without a fight. We have issued an emergency call to all Federation-aligned pilots – you are needed in Daramo!”

The Empire, predictably, has responded in kind. Captain Danvers of the Imperial Navy said:

“In the interest of the wellbeing of the citizens of Daramo, it is imperative that Imperial law be instated as soon as possible. If the Federation is allowed to retain control of the system, the people of Daramo will be sure to suffer.”

The Independents of Daramo have stepped in to coordinate operations on behalf of the Federation, while the Vaka Citizens of Tradition have been authorised to oversee the Imperial campaign. Both factions have set out week-long operations to take control of the system, which will begin on the 23rd of June 3302.

Comms Chatter

Hello commanders, here’s your weekly episode of comms chatter!

Did you hear the news? We’ve recently announced our partnership with Thrustmaster! Check out the news at the Thrustmaster.com website.

Commander FatHaggard on /r/EliteDangerous attempted the subreddit challenge... round n’ round the ship goes... where it lands, nobody knows!

Commander Guerreiro Anfíbio from the Gangue do Adrena group shows off some prize medals for their PVP tournaments.

Reddit member, xXISCOPEIXx came across a rather unique find in his journey throughout deep space.

Commander Lyxavier decided it was time to leave…

CMDR Ishmair from reddit shared this image... space madness anyone?

Copyright © 2016 Frontier Developments plc. All rights reserved.
    Frontier Developments plc, 306 Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, England, CB4 0WG, UK

Was going to post about how awful the newsletters have become, then realised no-one other than me, seems to care.

Originally Posted by Alien View Post (Source)
    Was going to post about how awful the newsletters have become, then realised no-one other than me, seems to care.
    Speak for yourself. I love the Newsletters, though I do hope they will start giving us more info on 2.2 soon.

Originally Posted by Yaffle View Post (Source)

The best news ever. Thanks for letting us know.

Could we have more infos on these changes please ? Like what will be done first, maybe even an approximate date ?

Great news that some of the materials are going to be easier to get. It may make the RNG part of the upgrade fun now.

Originally Posted by Starender View Post (Source)
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Could we have more infos on these changes please ? Like what will be done first, maybe even an approximate date ?
    I suspect all the changes listed will come in one, quite large update-probably sometime within a two week window between last week of July and first week of August.

Originally Posted by Marc_Hicks View Post (Source)
    Speak for yourself. I love the Newsletters, though I do hope they will start giving us more info on 2.2 soon.
    I love the newsletters as well, but this week's is the worst ever.
    But hey, don't listen to me (no-one else does), look back over the other 129 in order and see for yourself how bad they've become.

Originally Posted by Starender View Post (Source)

This is sarcasm ... right?

????????

Edit: end july.

But hey, don't listen to me (no-one else does), look back over the other 129 in order and see for yourself how bad they've become.

I have read almost all 130 newsletters, & the worst I recall reading were around Mid-March to Mid-April of this year. Extremely light on content, but heavy in Ads. This one is about middle of the road to good-only 1 Ad and a reasonable amount of in game and development news.

Also, Zac gave a pretty good timeline for the 2.1 update, probably somewhere between the 25th of July and the 8th of August-though my money is on the 25th-30th of July. I will further predict that we will see the beta for 2.2 drop between the 9th and 15th of August, with the launch happening around the 31st of August.....just at a guess.

We will be adjusting the way the surface scanner works to allow you to see what materials are available from any given planet. This should make locating materials far easier.

I have decided to unsubscribe to the newsletters.
    I say "newsletters", I think the more apt description is what I read when I clicked on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of #130 ...
    To stop receiving commercial and marketing related messages from us, or to amend your preferences or personal details, enter your email address below and click 'Submit'.
    Not "to stop receiving newsletters from us" ... but "commercial and marketing related messages" ... kind of says it all really.

Frontier.

Thanks for the newsletter - in all the excitement of Brexit (said sarcastically) I forgot about it so it was nice to wake this morning to it.

Appreciate the surface scanner / multiple drops on loot .. Makes engineers feel less like a job and shows you're listening!

How can it be the worst news letter when Frontier is acknowledging that they have listened to the community and intend to make Engineers less "grindy" ? That in itself is newsworthy as it should (though fat chance really) reinforce the notion that Frontier actually do care !

I have decided to unsubscribe to the newsletters.
    I say "newsletters", I think the more apt description is what I read when I clicked on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of #130 ...

Not "to stop receiving newsletters from us" ... but "commercial and marketing related messages" ... kind of says it all really.
    Interesting - in the shop it's described as this (had to subscribe again)

The other thing it may do, that unsubscribe link, is perhaps add to / delete you from more than 1 source & add you to others at the same time (like a "do not communicate with" exclusion list) Common practise - You're a bit oversensitive today I think ...

Surface scanner my ...
    Scan from orbit so no need to waste my time landing.

Some good stuff. I like the announced tweaks for engineers.

Page 1 of 8 1235 Last