Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Watch This Space

For the £30 pledge, they could throw in a T-shirt (hint hint)

There's a curious excitement watching those numbers climb - £10K reached.

Originally Posted by Crayfish View Post (Source)
    The difference is that the £20 pledge is limited to the first 10,000 backers.
    <slaps own head> of course sorry about that.

Just the news of there possibly being a new ELITE has fried my brain. I better go do some more cargo runs between Diso and Leesti !

;-)

I would name my Space Station after my cat. ;-) if I could pledge such an amount.

I just did 50 pounds so I can get in as a beta tester if it all goes ahead. 75 pounds and 100 pounds did not quite have enough content to push me there.

Still 20 pounds for a digital copy is awesome. As I said, that is pretty much what ELITE cost in 1984. :-)
    [EDIT: 17.95 pounds for the DISK, BBC Micro version] :-)

I have waited so long for this! Best memories of Elite on MSX and Frontier on Amiga. The Thargoids better be back

First Star Citizen, now this... A kickstarter of Star Control next please and my life will be complete.

Thanks Team Frontier!

David, can I make a suggestion with your Kickstarter. Possibly think about either putting up some form of teaser video or some concept art or both? Something of substance (I know this may appear to have an ulterior motive in trying to milk some further info out of you) has a track record of getting better results out of Kickstarter. Seeing what Chris Roberts did with the Star Citizen launch seems to be to be a pretty good example of how to approach this sort of thing. There also seems to be some noise coming from a few sources about the base game digital download price being a bit ambitious.

I understand that there may have been some haste in getting this out to coincide with the BBC segment but I can't help but feel that you might give yourselves a slightly better chance at succeeding with your target if you adjusted some of the pledge rewards down a little and possibly upped the value add of the mid range. As Alien said, a little bit of swag (T-Shirts, stickers, posters etc) might again give something to entice the undecided to pledge a little more whereas a target of around £15 pounds for a digital copy might allow for a broader uptake of the presale level. Maybe consider dropping the 2nd Beta access to the £20 level and the 1st Beta to the £30 level. Remember although these initial funders are going to be providing the 'fuel' to develop the game, there are post release sales where you can up the price or alter the 'final sale package' and with this in mind you might also capture some of those that are likely to sit back and 'see what comes from this' rather than seeing that they'll get more value from investing now. Hopefully the backers in the Kickstarter phase are only going to be a small percentage of the total game sales, allowing them to get a little from their investment in relation to those that wait and see mightn't be a bad thing.

Just some ideas and also some observations - I really hope that this comes to fruition but same adjustment of pledge levels and a little more substance to the presentation might broaden the appeal of the project a little more. Laying all your cards on the table is worth quite a lot when you're asking for the commitment from your funders and a bit of transparency might be what it takes to push some people over that 'do I pledge or not' mark.

It's also been pointed out that 'Dangerous' already exists as a multiplatform 3D space combat RPG so as a name it might need a rethink... http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/106...ace-combat-RPG

I thought the pledge amounts were totally spot on. 20 pounds for the digital version considering when it was out in 1984 it was 17.95 pounds for the disc version of the BBC micro, that's a nice tip of the hat I thought.

I only saw a little dead area is in the 75 and 100 amounts which is why I did not go for these. Of course one can say to any company for any product to anything "reduce the price and you will sell more". They still need to make it all viable and I am sure Frontier marketting team and financial team have looked at this entire thing very very very carefully. Just like I am sure they will be releasing videos here and there.

The ones 20 and below I thought were excellent and reasonably priced.

Originally Posted by Styggron View Post (Source)
    I thought the pledge amounts were totally spot on. 20 pounds for the digital version considering when it was out in 1984 it was 17.95 pounds for the disc version of the BBC micro, that's a nice tip of the hat I thought.

I only saw a little dead area is in the 75 and 100 amounts which is why I did not go for these. Of course one can say to any company for any product to anything "reduce the price and you will sell more". They still need to make it all viable and I am sure Frontier marketting team and financial team have looked at this entire thing very very very carefully. Just like I am sure they will be releasing videos here and there.

The ones 20 and below I thought were excellent and reasonably priced.
    I'd agree but as an investor they are not buying a game, they are investing in the promise of a game from a source that many view as having a track record that contains no certainty (No disrespect intended). As an investor in something that is for the greater part insubstantial the incentivising could profit from an acknowledgement that those taking a punt now are also placing their trust in Frontier to deliver.

I would also not agree with the marketing and financial team being fully invested in this as it does not strike me as having the same hard commitment as some other projects in the same vein (again no disrespect intended). This feels more like a 'suck it and see' approach. If you want to see what real commitment looks like take a look here:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tizen?ref=live

I in no way am trying to undermine the efforts of David and Frontier but in light of what is possible with getting behind a project like this, it feels like it could do with having a bit of military engine upgrade. My interest is in seeing this happen, not in dogg-ing (weird filtering there) the efforts of those involved hence my attempts at constructive criticism.

I'm aboard

The analogy about procedural created scenery has me interested, will be great if they can use that technology for real on buildings on planet surfaces. I have been waiting for something like Damocles on the Amiga for a long time!

Good luck with the funding, I really hope this one pulls off - you have my best wishes guys (well and I do too, now I am a backer )

Good points there Steve, but the project has only just been announced, lets see what sort of momentum it builds over the coming weeks. I know one thing, word will spread like wildfire across the net and (on that basis) I will make a further prediction, the game will smash its kickstarter target.

Oh, and if there is any T-Shirts going, I still want a pink one!

I know this is well jumping the gun, but how about a GOG release for Elite Dangerous?

Originally Posted by Steve O B Have View Post (Source)
    I'd agree but as an investor they are not buying a game, they are investing in the promise of a game from a source that many view as having a track record that contains no certainty (No disrespect intended). As an investor in something that is for the greater part insubstantial the incentivising could profit from an acknowledgement that those taking a punt now are also placing their trust in Frontier to deliver.

I would also not agree with the marketing and financial team being fully invested in this as it does not strike me as having the same hard commitment as some other projects in the same vein (again no disrespect intended). This feels more like a 'suck it and see' approach. If you want to see what real commitment looks like take a look here:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...tizen?ref=live

I in no way am trying to undermine the efforts of David and Frontier but in light of what is possible with getting behind a project like this, it feels like it could do with having a bit of military engine upgrade. My interest is in seeing this happen, not in dogg-ing (weird filtering there) the efforts of those involved hence my attempts at constructive criticism.

I can certainly understand your point, I just don't agree with them..well....not all of it at least. :-) I have a little more faith in Frontier financial team and marketting although I do acknowledge it is positive thinking of course, I'm probably not looking at this as objetively because it is *ELITE* and it is so important to me so it's rose coloured glasses :-)

True that Star Citizen offers more and sure at the moment Elite Dangerous is a promise of the game but we ALSO have *promised* to pay so I still support their prices and think the levels are good but some physical items like Star Citizen would also be good, still, I am happy with it. Like I said only the 75 and 100 amounts did not offer enough for me to choose them. I would not say Frontier's committment is any less than Star Citizen. I know I won't be putting any money in Star Citizen, sure Wing Commander was great but it was no ELITE. In fact the Fan Made Wing Commander V was excellent that was released 4 or so months ago.

[EDIT: Interesting to see that Star Citizen has 13 days left as I write this and they have almost doubled their requirement. Hopefully Frontier will double their requirements and I don't know, give us pledgers something....? ]

I think you made your points respectfully Steve and really this is what these forums are all about of course. We all want ELITE we all want it to be awesome if anything we just want more and more and more. :-)

The clock just ticked to 500 supporters and 24,294 pounds ! WOW !!!

37K now. It's certainly heading in the right direction

Wow - I was expecting things to slow down a little overnight and for it to perhaps be at around the £20k mark - not double that at 39k.

The money's rolling in faster than doing the Soholia medicine run.

I was looking at the Star Citizen kickstarter, and I noticed a note by them saying that once someone had donated to the project and claimed a reward, they could not alter the tier (I think they meant the reward for that level).

Also remember, T-shirts and stuff are nice, but cost money, which could be why nearly everything in Elite: Dangerous's reward list is digital.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast