Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Formidine Rift Expedition 3302

The Formidine Rift Expedition 3302

The Formidine-Rift has been the destination of numerous single-expeditions since the book Elite : Reclamation was published two years ago. Rumours of something hidden there have driven commanders as far as the mysterious Bovomit-Sector nearly 20 kly from Sol. Unfortunately nothing was found by these pioneers of the southern galactic rim. Even concerted efforts during spring and early summer 3302 by several groups failed to uncover any of the secrets that are confirmed to be hidden there.

Activities seemed to die down during July 3302 when suddenly a GALNET-article incited new interest by pointing to the EAFOTS sector. EAFOTS is connected with all the clues we already had: The Heart and Soul nebulae, the Reorte-Riedquat-Line, and the very eastern edges of the Formidine Rift itself. It also sits right on the edge of CoRs Rift border patrol waypoints - pinpointed by Salomé herself who tasked the Children of Raxxla to set up two listening posts and patrol the region back in May 3302 (Phase I of the Rift Initiative).

Commanders are already searching this special sector but a detailed look at EAFOTS with the help of CMDR Jackie Silver has made it clear that this is an endeavour that needs a more organized and concerted approach. The sector is huge, we are looking at a cube of approximately 1280 x 1280 x 1280 lightyears and easily more than 400.000 systems.

The Children of Raxxla, who since their founding have dedicated themselves to exploration and investigating the galaxies mysteries, have thus decided to mount an expedition that will try to explore as much of the EAFOTS-Sector as possible, using the insight CMDR Jackie Silver has given us in the sub-organization of sectors. We are further narrowing the search-areas of this mysterious region by clues we have already gotten.

Doing it this way we are sure that we will be more successful than before.

We’re therefore inviting other groups and commanders to take part our search efforts. Together we might finally find what’s hidden out there!

THE SEARCH AREA

THE BASECAMPS

We have scouted four new basecamp-systems on the corners of the EAFOTS cube at the height of the Reorte-Riedquat-line (+48 ly on the Z-axis). The basecamps are to be used as meeting-points or rally-points. Each landing site is easy to find and has a flat surface that allows even bigger ships good landing spots.

NORTH-EAST (-5210:49:-4910)
    EAFOTS XO-T B58-1, Planet 1

"Haipeng Landing"

-45.3438 / 114,2943
    0.51 g

FURTHER IMAGES
    http://imgur.com/a/5fsSK

NORTH-WEST (-6460:49:-4910)
    EAFOTS KR-T B58-3, planet 2

"The Smiling Crater"

0.3031 / 140,7180 0.22 g

FURTHER IMAGES

http://imgur.com/a/kpohd

SOUTH-WEST (-6460:49:-6180)
    EAFOTS YE-A C0, planet B2

“Komarov’s Canyon”

-30.3184 / -140.9768
    0.06 g

FURTHER IMAGES

http://imgur.com/a/18VJ3
    SOUTH-EAST (-5210:49:-6180)
    EAFOTS PA-A D0, planet A1

“Crippen’s Basin”

8.2307 / -13.6597
    1.18 g (high-g!)

FURTHER IMAGES
    http://imgur.com/a/phOkB

Expedition Directive

We are determined to do our best to finally uncover the Formidine Rift Mystery. As the search-areas distance from Sol varies between 7.5 - 8.5 kly it is easily reachable in a decent timeframe even for exploration-ships with unmodified jumpranges.

Ship build is up to the participants, there are no recommendations from us in that respect.

The search is to commence on Saturday August 20th and will last for 1 week per assignment.

The whole expedition is scheduled for a preliminary ten weeks until October 29th, 3302.

Please sign up using the following sheet.

Exploration - Procedure

There are two ways to explore EAFOTS:

1. We’ve created a spreadsheet with the help of Jackie Silver. Its use enables us to keep track of what has already been explored and possible findings. The spreadsheet can be found here.
    An explanation how to use it is included in the sheet. If anything remains unclear you can message CMDR TheTick who has volunteered to take care of the sheet.

2. Individual exploration. We however recommend the use of a commanders-log like EDDiscovery to keep track of your path.

We should at first search in regions which are connected to the existing hints so far, e.g. the Heart & Soul nebulae, or the galactic plane (between -25 and +75 lightyears Z-axis, because of the fixed z-axis of the RR line) where the star density is the highest and jump distances are not too big. The search priorities / prioritized sub-sectors are already made clear in the sheet.

When entering a new system please use the following exploration routine:

1. Advance Discovery Scanner (“Honk”),
    2. Scan main star, meanwhile look at the system-map to get an overview of the planets,
    3. Look at the navigation-tab to detect persistent USS,
    4. Detailed surface-scan of interesting planets / moons, watch out for USS while supercruising. Please check the planet descriptions after scanning and watch out for anything out of the ordinary,
    5. After being finished jump to the next system.

Any findings should be reported in this thread or in the Formidine-Rifters-Thread.

EDIT:
    Scan every ammonia-world and gas-giants with ammonia-based life and fly into near-orbit. There are confirmed free-floating Unknown Probes that show up as "Anomaly - Threat Level 2"-USS in near orbit. Report such findings here and in the sheet!

EDIT 8/28/2015:
    Based on Drew Wagars interview with DJTruthsayer we have altered the directive a bit. All participants please take note:

- Please give more attention to star constellations and skybox-patterns; they might give a clue
    - if you are checking systems please only focus on the E and D mass-code prefixes for now.
    - focus less on scanning individual planets.

Commanders, great work until now. Your progress is clearly visible in ED Starmap! (pic courtesy of CMDR KRONFROMGALVATRON)

AMENDMENT August 30th, 3302

Due to the very recent discovery of a crashed alien ship in the Pleiades we now strongly encourage every pilot leaving human-inhabited space not to go unarmed or even unarmed and unshielded! This is for defensive reasons only. Nobody knows where the ship came from but this first confirmation of an advanced space-faring alien lifeform is inspiring and worrying at the same time. If anyone out in EAFOTS makes first-contact please don't shoot first. Just be prepared to defend yourselves if things go wrong.

We are expecting to receive further hints / clues in the course of the next weeks. Adaptation of the search routine might be necessary.

The CoR Consul

CMDRs TheTick, Erimus Kamzel, KronfromGalvatron and Eisen

Thanks to CMDR Jackie Silver for her help with Sector-Analysis and CMDR Vent Aileron for scouting for suitable basecamps.

A channel on FleetComm has been set aside for all expedition participants to use :
    #Salomé's-Directive

This expedition will initially use the Kamzel private group until September 1st. After Sept. 1st, Kamzel group will be transitioned over to become Fleetcomm group.

Details of this can be found : Here

Anyone not currently in Kamzel group can apply to the Fleetcomm group instead...

For access, please contact Grnbrg, either via a forum PM here : Link

Or via FleetComm discord, here : Link

Salomé

CoR have been informed that Salomé herself will be present during one of the patrol weeks (no time frame given as yet) - this is to help with the search but also to commemorate the Children of Raxxla's 1 year anniversary which will coincide with this mission directive.

More details of this event will be posted here when we have them.

Current Roster :

Pilot Commander Name Ship type Ship name Signup week Time Zone Forum Name
    1 Eisen Anaconda CoR Tiger's Claw Multiple Europe Eisen
    2 Erimus Asp Explorer Endeavour Week 4 (September 10, 3302 - September 17, 3302) Europe Erimus
    3 The Tick Asp Explorer Baade's Barge Multiple Europe TheTick
    4 KRONFROMGALVATRON Asp Explorer The Bristling Hedge Hog Week 2 (August 27, 3302 - September 3, 3302) US AndyinMission
    5 CMDR Backelaer Asp Explorer Eendraght Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) Europe Backelaer
    6 Aleithian Anaconda Caledonian Sun Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) US Aleithian
    7 Jonuss Anaconda Long View Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) Europe Jonuss
    8 Ulysses Wolf Cobra Mk III Ithaca Week 2 (August 27, 3302 - September 3, 3302) Europe Ulysses Wolf
    9 Raktavijan Anaconda Neidr Ddall Week 3 (September 3, 3302 - September 10, 3302) Europe Raktavijan
    10 Manyiakk ASP Explorer Asylum Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) US Manyiakk
    11 Vonpritz Anaconda Curiosity 1 Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) US Vonpritz
    12 Ornas Diehl Cobra MKIII DSS Adaris Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) Europe Ornas Diehl
    13 CMDR R.I.O.T Fer De Lance ARTEMIS Week 2 (August 27, 3302 - September 3, 3302) Europe CMDR R.I.O.T
    14 Kled7 DBX SNC Week 2 (August 27, 3302 - September 3, 3302) US Kled7
    15 IAM Groot Anaconda Lady Maya Multiple US IAM groot
    16 Oneslyfaux Asp Explorer Muninn Multiple Europe, US, Other Oneslyfaux
    17 Boogyman Courier
    Multiple US Boogyman
    18 Aleithian Anaconda Caledonian Sun Multiple US Aleithian
    19 Souvarine Anaconda Lord of Kobol Week 6 (September 27, 3302 - October 3, 3302) Europe Souvarine
    20 Pvt Shifty Clipper The Polish Hammer Multiple US Pvt Shifty
    21 AridKillzone Diamondback Explorer Chrome Multiple US AridKillzone
    22 Jon Flint Asp Explorer Walrus Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) Europe Jon Flint
    23 Ar'Vessah Anaconda II AR.AN.EL II Multiple Europe Ar'Vessah
    24 PIng Cobra Nelly Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) US Pingo
    25 DukeWally Asp Explorer Rocinante Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) US DukeWally
    26 CMDR RockHopper Asp Explorer
    Multiple Europe Ghenjei
    27 Michael Darkmoor Asp Explorer Star Orphan Multiple US CDR Michael Darkmoor
    28 Swankycriminal Anaconda Pineapple Express Multiple US Swanky
    29 Crotalus Unknown
    Multiple Europe Crotalus
    30 Baroness Galaxy Anaconda Zeno Multiple Europe Baroness Galaxy
    31 Edelgard von Rhein Anaconda Exelion Multiple Europe Edelgard von Rhein
    32 Markus Septonius Asp Explorer SNV Darkshines Multiple Europe CMDR Marcus Septimus
    33 Finn McMillan Cobra Mk III Corpus meum et mentem Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) US jaiotu
    34 Inticus Asp Explorer Amelia Multiple US Inticus
    35 Andrew Linton Asp Explorer Aspiration Multiple Europe Andrew Linton
    36 Helfar Asp Explorer The Fartreader Multiple Europe Helfar
    37 T J Stable Asp Explorer The Corbomite Week 3 (September 3, 3302 - September 10, 3302) Europe Captain Stable
    38 Summit Soldier Anaconda Sir Mixalot Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) US Summit Soldier
    39 Devil Hanzo Asp Explorer Deviant Yellow Multiple Europe Devil Hanzo
    40 Angua von Uberwald Asp Explorer Bella Donna Multiple Europe knot2clever
    41 Neil Asp Explorer Compass Rose Multiple Europe Neil1889
    42 Stocko Asp Explorer Gold Rush Week 3 (September 3, 3302 - September 10, 3302) Europe Stocko1111
    43 MaxAcceleration Asp Explorer The Lady Hay Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) US MaxAcceleration
    44 *Alice* Asp Explorer Prisma Zmaragdus Multiple Europe Bikky
    45 Maximilian Reach Imperial Cutter Karla Multiple Europe Maeyae
    46 CMDR IAN NORTON Asp Explorer Canoups Multiple Europe CMDR IAN NORTON
    47 CMDR backer #charlycharly imperial clipper crimson baron Multiple Europe charlycharly
    48 Deareim Asp Explorer Deep Black Multiple Europe Deareim
    49 Johannes Krauser II Diamondback Explorer Buzzin' Dozen Multiple US EtherealCereal
    50 Chemtrail Asp Explorer
    Multiple Europe Chemtrail
    51 Canthor Asp Explorer Star Seeker Week 6 (September 24, 3302 - October 1, 3302) Europe Canthor
    52 Strogonovsky Diamondback Explorer Solaris Week 2 (August 27, 3302 - September 3, 3302) Other Strogonovsky
    53 Kara Zorel Imperial Clipper A World's Hope Week 2 (August 27, 3302 - September 3, 3302) US hammerreborn
    54 Dote Anaconda
    Multiple US Dote
    55 Barracuda Imperial Clipper Lost Soul Multiple US sam445
    56 Patrecleus Asp Explorer DSS Wanderer Multiple Europe Wolverine
    57 Leomaj anaconda Daisy Multiple Europe Leomaj
    58 AiryKai ASP Explorer ASP Explorer Multiple Europe AiryKai
    59 JOEL KOSMO ASP Explorer Far-Away-Vision 2 Week 2 (August 27, 3302 - September 3, 3302) Other JOEL KOSMO
    60 M. KNOTTS Type-6 Polydamas Multiple US M. KNOTTS
    61 Vacendak Asp Explorer V'ger Multiple US Vacendak
    62 Cysop Anaconda The Pinnacle of Wit Week 2 (August 27, 3302 - September 3, 3302) US Cysop
    63 Armoredmeat DBX Navis Amoris Multiple US Armoredmeat
    64 Mallorn Asp Explorer Light Higgs Week 2 (August 27, 3302 - September 3, 3302) Other Mallorn
    65 Lyrael Sol Asp Explorer Eurydice Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) US Lyrael Sol
    66 CMDR CHETAN1987 Anaconda Sajjuk Multiple Other CHETAN1987
    67 Vent Aileron Anaconda Truelight Seeker Multiple Other Vent
    68 Kleitias Asp Explorer Klotho Week 2 (August 27, 3302 - September 3, 3302) Europe Kleitias
    69 FertilePanther Asp Explorer Panther's Asp Multiple US FertilePanther
    70 Dutch Foster Asp Explorer Gold Raven Multiple US Dutch Foster
    71 StarBrook Asp Explorer Anakonda Week 3 (September 3, 3302 - September 10, 3302) Europe StarBrook
    72 Muad'Dib [POZ] Asp Explorer Luck Seven Multiple US Muad'Dib [POZ]
    73 Skouaire ASP X ASP X Multiple Europe Skouaire
    74 Chris Rosenkreutz Anaconda Getaway Unicycle Multiple US Chris Rosenkreutz
    75 Tihiy Asp Explorer Black Rose Multiple Europe Tihiy
    76 VPR Asp Explorer Unknown Multiple Europe VPR
    77 Mike 'Ziggy' Lucas Imperial Cutter Lupus Prisma Multiple US BigZiggyHD
    78 Vorrash Anaconda Octavius Week 4 (September 10, 3302 - September 17, 3302) Europe Vorrash
    79 Lennia ASP Explorer USS Curie Week 5 (September 17, 3302 - September 24, 3302) US Lennia
    80 Jaton666 Asp Explorer The Crimson Wanderer Week 5 (September 17, 3302 - September 24, 3302) Europe Jaton666
    81 ArcanustheWise Asp Explorer Invictus Week 6 (September 24, 3302 - October 1, 3302) US ArcanustheWise
    82 Isakill Asp Explorer Wasteland Garbage Disposal Week 5 (September 17, 3302 - September 24, 3302) US n/a
    83 Alkibiades ASP Explorer
    Week 6 (September 24, 3302 - October 1, 3302) Europe Alkibiades
    84 Deltasnake ASP Explorer Cosmos Explorer Week 6 (September 24, 3302 - October 1, 3302) Other neliodv
    85 Momiji Sakora Imperial Cutter Horizon Week 6 (September 24, 3302 - October 1, 3302) Europe
    86 DINSLAX ASP EXPLORER THE BLACK VEILS Week 7 (October 1, 3302 - October 8, 3302) Other
    87 Ol Asp Explorer Eve Week 1 (August 20, 3302 - August 27, 3302) Europe ollieclark
    88 Good Death Asp Ex Reach Multiple US HeadlessSheep
    89 MiiC Anaconda Arcadia Week 10 (October 22, 3302 - October 29, 3302) Europe MiiC
    90 Tremar dTorian ASP Explorer ASP Explorer Week 10 (October 22, 3302 - October 29, 3302) Europe bobrodobro

Well, signed up. Been out scouring eafots for the last few weeks. May as well stay out there a while longer

Sorry, can't use EDSM/eddiscovery, doesn't seem to work since the win10 anniversary update, won't read my net logs anymore

I was out there last week and can deliver a list of about 250 systems gone through.
    PM in Fleet Comms for the sheet.
    Also signed up for all weeks... but may need to return or extend outward from the area at various times for other commitments.

I'm interested in taking part but the times I can be there are up in the air right now - I also want to help with events at Jaques. I'm probably safely in the top 10% of the mining CG but I'm hopeful that more will be taking place soon. Also, once I leave Jaques I would like to visit the borders of Hyponia, so it might be a while before I reach Eafots sector. The Formidine Rift mystery is one I haven't got involved in and I would like to change that so I'll sign up but my timing will be provisional. I might also come and go between Eafots and the bubble, as I would prefer to be exploring in my Asp or Python, rather than my Anaconda.

As much as I want to support this, I kind of doubt that Frontier would expect a dragnet approach, especially if the UP audio spectrograph is in any way related. It seems far more likely the mystery would be solved by using a logical approach than a sweeping survey approach. And without the proper tools/items/search-method you could even pass through the system and not notice what "it" is.

Originally Posted by Ziljan View Post (Source)
    As much as I want to support this, I kind of doubt that Frontier would expect a dragnet approach, especially if the UP audio spectrograph is in any way related. It seems far more likely the mystery would be solved by using a logical approach than a sweeping survey approach. And without the proper tools/items/search-method you could even pass through the system and not notice what "it" is.
    Given the choice of leaning back and wait for solid clues or start the search knowing that even if you get to the right system, scan the right planet, set down and drive around in your SRV for hours, days, weeks, and months and still miss the "it", some just doesn't like to wait

Sometimes I think that FD forgets what a big place the galaxy really is.

This looks like a good attempt to find "it".

I am definitely not advocating for people to start "leaning back and doing nothing". Grinding 400,000 systems actually sounds like a whole lot of nothing. Even if you limit a system search to a 15 minute cursory supercruise glance, that's still about 100,000 man hours of nothing.

If you had an organized way to divide the work load, so that you that they didn't accidentally overlap on anyone else's search grid, and you had 100 CMDRs each working 8 hour search shifts each day, it would take about 4 months just to map the whole sector. Never mind doing a thorough search.

Yes, there's the rub -- once the answer is found, that "logical approach" may become apparent in hindsight. "See, all you needed to do was notice X and Y but not Z..." But until that inspiration comes to me in a dream, I've signed up for the survey and will take it week by week depending on real life commitments. I also believe it's quite possible we will be no further ahead even after a comprehensive detailed scan of every asteroid and iceball in the sector -- there is a big picture we're just not seeing. I lean towards the theory that we'll find evidence of some kind of ancient large-scale technology -- planetary or stellar engineering, wormholes, that type of thing, which may not even be terribly useful in the short term. But hey, I've been wrong (once or twice) before!

I am definitely not advocating for people to start "leaning back and doing nothing". Grinding 400,000 systems actually sounds like a whole lot of nothing. Even if you limit a system search to a 15 minute cursory supercruise glance, that's still about 100,000 man hours of nothing.

If you had an organized way to divide the work load, so that you that they didn't accidentally overlap on anyone else's search grid, and you had 100 CMDRs each working 8 hour search shifts each day, it would take about 4 months just to map the whole sector. Never mind doing a thorough search.
    Personally I don't think that what we're looking for will be found using this kind of brute force method. For me ... that isn't the point. A large part of this is simply the social aspect of working together on a common goal. Bigger than that though is my very strong belief that more hints and clues will be coming and every single one of those is going to narrow down the search until the object of our pursuit becomes apparent. When that happens I want to be HERE out near the RIFT so that I can participate in that story. I'm going to be out here in the Rift for a while so I might as well be actively involved in something that is at least more productive then simply wandering aimlessly by myself.

I'm stuck in space again for 5 weeks form next Thursday, and this looks like a perfect way to spend 5 weeks purely exploring.

Z...

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Originally Posted by Jaiotu View Post (Source)
    Personally I don't think that what we're looking for will be found using this kind of brute force method. For me ... that isn't the point. A large part of this is simply the social aspect of working together on a common goal. Bigger than that though is my very strong belief that more hints and clues will be coming and every single one of those is going to narrow down the search until the object of our pursuit becomes apparent. When that happens I want to be HERE out near the RIFT so that I can participate in that story. I'm going to be out here in the Rift for a while so I might as well be actively involved in something that is at least more productive then simply wandering aimlessly by myself.
    The social aspect is what does it for me too - I very much enjoyed the whole DWE thing, met lots of new friends, and seeing familiar faces pop into a station, or into a system in random part so of the galaxy is quite awesome.

Z...

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Th eother thing is, you never know how thorough the other CMDR's are (or yourself, for that matter) compared to anyone else. I may pick up on somehting just simply because my monitor is better set up then someone elses, or because it's more obvious using a VR headset, or simply because I SC'd a slightly different way and something was better aligned.

No, I'm doing it for the social aspect, and if something is found, all the more awesome. I'm probably going to be going over all the clues on my flight to Asia next week, and working out my own theories to chase up, whilst checking to see how many have already been looked at. Though, really, I plan to go as far out as possible with as highly modded an FSD I can get, as fast as possible on the RR line, and then turn around and head toward RR (ie - come backwards). I'll probably come form sideways around the galactic spiral arm. I'm sur eit's been done, but I also want to mark some territory

Z...

I'm already out in Eafots exploring. I've been passing all my explored info to CMDR Leomaj and helping out the remnants of the Formidine Rift Expedition as much as I can. Let me know how I can help with this directive. I have an Asp with a 47ly jump range, and I'm currently checking stuff out above the 700 mark of the galactic plane.

Update - I need to return to the bubble and repair/refit. I will then kidnap a UA and a UP, then I will be returning to the rift.

Given the fact that "it" has been ingame since gamma and ought to be reachable by a clipper or cobra we think we can narrow down the workload a bit. It is absolutely clear to us that we will not be able to map the whole sector. But we might be more thorough around the already known clues like Heart&Soul and RR-Line than what we had before: single commanders jumping around in the sector more or less aimless (no pun intended). Mostly getting bored after a couple of days and returning to the bubble.
    Hey Ziljan, just a few weeks ago you shot out one call to the arms after another for tasks that only few would do for hours and hours without getting bored. The social aspect made it a fun thing to do. It could be the same here.
    And obviously we are waiting for the next clues too. Hopefully they will allow us to narrow down the search area. It's good to already have commanders in the area at that time to adapt quickly.

Originally Posted by Jaiotu View Post (Source)

You've nailed it

Drew is writing a new book, and some of that book will be based on player actions in-game. CoR, Rifters, and anyone else interested can play a part in the book. Sitting around doing little but waiting for the next clue is not a good way to tell this unfolding story. So CoR for one have a series of events planned via a series of directives given to us by Salomé herself, to help flesh out the story and create events and content for players to enjoy along the way. The directives are open to all who want in - not just CoR... and new clues are coming that will narrow down the search even further.

If we go back one year and look at how many players have searched the Rift from Bovomit to The Outer Arm Vacuus, from The Heart and Soul to the outer galactic rim, that was an enormous amount of space containing probably 100 million systems. The people who went out there last year and spent months looking would have killed for the name of the actual sector! Now we have it.

We've been given a clue to concentrate efforts, and yes it still contains a few hundred thousand systems, but the next clue may narrow the search down to a certain area of Eafots.. the point is players are starting to get a tangible grip on the mystery and we know that more clues will be coming during the coming weeks and months. What better way to have dozens, hopefully a few hundred, pilots in the area socializing and working together when those clues are revealed?

This is a chance for the exploration community to help write some of their in-game actions into Elite: Premonition by taking part in player created events that link directly to the galaxies' mysteries.

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast