Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Buckyball Racing Club Present: Heavy Metal Megadeth - 6th - 11th September 3302

The Buckyball Racing Club Present: Heavy Metal Megadeth - 6th - 11th September 3302

After the recent success of the TrakMark sponsored Total Recall 2 event. The Pilot's Federation has asked the Buckyball racing club to assist them in investigating an aspect of pilot safety that has been causing them growing concern. Since the beginning of 3302 the Pilot's Federation has noticed a sharp increase in the number of crash landings reported on high gravity planets. In order to assess whether ship thrusters require an across the board power increase they have asked the Buckyball Racing Club to organise an event that involves pushing ships to their maximum tolerances during high gravity landings.

To this end, the Buckyball Racing club invites all interested pilots to gather at the Dog and Thargoid bar, Cook Gateway, Medzistha. The race consists of taking off from Cook Gateway, performing a single hyperspace jump to Omicron Capricorni B, land on planet A4, anywhere. Take off and return to Cook Gateway, Medzistha.

Pilots are warned that omicron Capricorni B, A 4 has a surface gravity of 4g and extreme caution should be exercised on exit from orbital cruise/glide.

The event will run from 0000 IGT/UTC 6th September until 2359 IGT/UTC 11th September 3302. Any runs must have a start time before 2359 IGT/UTC 11th September 3302 to be eligible.

Final Results

New to Racing?

Please refer to the following instructional video, courtesy of CMDR furrycat:

Don't worry too much about all the rules and regulations below it pretty easy once you give it a go.

Rules and Regulations

Firstly let me state that landing on high g planets is very tricky. If you have never done it before and attempt to land as normal you will likely see the insurance screen, so be warned! Choose a cheap ship or take it very steady until you have got the hang of it...

There are two classes the Regulation Hauler and Open Unlimited.

The regulation hauler must be outfitted as follows. It can be bought and outfitted at Cook Gateway. It is the stock hauler with a D class FSD to allow reaching Omicron Capricorni B in a single jump and the shields removed. The regulation hauler will qualify for a 10 second time reduction if the screenshot of it landed on omicron Capricorni B, A4 shows it with 100% hull.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/hauler/0p...9A===.Aw19A===

In Open Unlimited anything goes – Engineer’s modifications and FSD boosts are allowed.

This race requires the Elite Dangerous: Horizons expansion.

When docked in station you must take a screen shot showing the on screen clock. You must be docked.

When landed on the planet you must take a screen shot with the ship landed. Showing the "HOLD R OR [] TO LAUNCH" message.

The Route

Start at Cook Gateway, Medzistha
    Land anywhere on Omicron Capricorni B, A4
    Return to Cook Gateway, Medzistha.

Race submissions:
    Screenshot at start and finish docked in Cook Gateway, Medzistha showing the cockpit clock
    Screenshot of modules screen
    Screenshot of your ship landed on Omicron Capricorni B, A4 showing the cockpit clock
    Your CMDR name
    Your forum name if not the same as your CMDR name
    Your ship type
    Your ship name
    Race Class (open unlimited or regulation hauler)
    Game Mode (open/solo) - The official race is Open only. Times can be submitted in Private or Solo as a 'guest' time and will be marked accordingly.

refer to Buckyball Racing Club site for details

E-mail (markzx59@buckyballracing <dot> org <dot> uk) or PM me the above

Please state you intent to race in the thread below

Your CMDR name
    Your ship type
    Your ship name
    Race Class
    Heavy Metal band that best represents your flying style

Finally thanks to CMDR Jak (Jhyrryl) whose post about Omicron Capricorni B A 4 gave me the best candidate planet for the event

A SHORT RACE! I LOVE YOU RACER1!

Intent to pancake:

CMDR Bruski
    Hauler
    Lazarus
    Regulation Hauler
    AC/DC - Highway to Hell

CMDR Bruski
    Imperial Courier
    Varangian Lightning
    Open Unlimited
    Dragonforce - Through Fire and Flame

thank the stars for Morai, this could be expensive!

Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post (Source)
    thank the stars for Morai, this could be expensive!
    Money is no object when GLORY is at stake!

You guys are all pros you'll be fine He says after loosing his cobra only this evening...

- It's short

- It's simple

- It may cause death, multiple times, ludicrously

Sold!

Cmdr Aken B.
    Regulation Hauler
    It Plummets
    Pantera (Cowboys From Hell)

Open Unlimited T.B.D.

Originally Posted by Bruski View Post (Source)
    Dragonforce - Through Fire and Flame
    Would have been my first pick...there's people with tastes in there!
    Flying with this as background should give you at least a 200 m/s boost by awesomeness alone, may count as cheating

Hell yes!

P.S run already submitted

Oops lol, I thought you were going to make it...

By the way, if ever there was a race crying out for a shieldless joker bonus, this is it!

P.S. ultimate accompanying song (if the tempo weren't all wrong) ... Gravity Grave by the Verve!

Originally Posted by Alec Turner View Post (Source)
    By the way, if ever there was a race crying out for a shieldless joker bonus, this is it!

P.S. ultimate accompanying song (if the tempo weren't all wrong) ... Gravity Grave by the Verve!
    Yes I did think about that but I thought I'd keep it simple as it's an MWM, my planning time was limited and joker result calculation makes my brain hurt

Intent to race
    CMDR Talwin Hawkins
    Regulation Hauler
    HellsBells2
    Judas Priest "Freewheel Burning"
    I think I'm going to have quite a few re-buys in this race, great video Alec

Heavy Metal band that best represents your flying style
    Whoops, missed this. OK, let's do this properly then ...

Cmdr Alec Turner
    Open Unlimited
    Imperial Courier
    Sans Serif #9 (currently)

Spinal Tap ('cos the Sans Serif goes to eleven).

P.S. when I first saw the announcement of this race I had literally minutes earlier finally bought myself the Anaconda I'd been dreaming of for 21 months and then subsequently rammed it (gracefully I should add) straight into the mailslot of Jameson Memorial in front of about five or six player witnesses (everyone does that right?). Anyway, for a second (just a second mind you) I entertained the notion of doing this race in it. Then I looked at how much money I had left (I had over 220 million after the Morai CG ... where the hell's all that gone?!?!) and decided maybe not. I did however take the "Wedding Anniversary" (AspX) for my first ever look-see at a 4G planetary landing and am pleased to say I pretty much aced it (well OK, one slight bounce that stripped 25% hull but you know, any landing you can walk away from is a good one right?).

Prėsėnting ...

Hėavy Mėtal Mėgadėth (another Buckyball moviė)

Too soon for my race vidėo? Wėll sorry but a) it's MWM so it's not on for that long, b) I REALLY like this onė , c) I want to rė-post it ovėr on the ED Community FB pagė to try and ėncouragė other pėoplė to givė this a try (not that that's ėvėr workėd bėforė ... can it rėally bė that thėrė arė only about 20 pėoplė in thė world that want to particpatė in a Buckyball racė?).

Also, apologiės for thė somėwhat mainstrėam music sėlėction but it sėėms I don't have any 5-star, 4 minutė long mėtal tracks in my music collėction. I'vė attėmptėd to makė up for this with a prodigious sprinkling of mėtal umlauts.

CMDR name: BACKER #-4112
    Ship type: Hauler
    Ship name: TAXI B90
    Race Class: Regulation Hauler
    Heavy Metal band that best represents your flying style:

Incoming!

CMDR Polly
    Regulation Hauler
    Vita Brevis

Deep Purple "Space Truckin'"

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum!

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast