Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9121314

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Battletech: Any other backers?

It's also something i have noticed - the campaign is mostly built on the premise players all know about the board game and probably Mechwarrior series too (there are relevant setups and tactics coming from these, including MWO). Having played the board game a lot i was immediately in familiar territory but yeah, i understand how really hardcore it can be for non-veterans and there's zero hand-holding...

And yes there is a lot of tactical depth to it, that's why the board game and its derivatives have been so popular despite the legal bullcrap that would have killed any other game long ago.

Originally Posted by Surefoot View Post (Source)
    It's also something i have noticed - the campaign is mostly built on the premise players all know about the board game and probably Mechwarrior series too (there are relevant setups and tactics coming from these, including MWO). Having played the board game a lot i was immediately in familiar territory but yeah, i understand how really hardcore it can be for non-veterans and there's zero hand-holding...

And yes there is a lot of tactical depth to it, that's why the board game and its derivatives have been so popular despite the legal bullcrap that would have killed any other game long ago.
    I basically turtled my way towards understanding the underlying rules. I did a lot wrong in the beginning with relocating far too often when I should have let bulwark do its job.

And there's the focus vs sharing armor concept, torso twisting for spreading damage, the very often misunderstood critical system, etc. These are all tabletop rules (also used in MWO to a fair extent, by organized teams at least), i didnt see much in terms of in game hints about that. Height vs range, indirect fire penalties, missile spread (with or without Artemis..).. the list is long

So there are still some things I need clarification for. There are 4 bars displayed above units, and I think I only have very basic understanding of what they do.
    Two bars on the very top that are side by side - they are health/armor? Why are there two of them. Is the white one is armor, and grey one health?
    Middle bar is heat. I get it. It builds up when you use certain modules/weapons/actions, and vents out passively. When you reach threshold you start damaging internals. Maximum - shutdown the mech.
    And the last one is still confusing - is it stability damage? I know you can get knocked down, or destabilized. I don't really know how to read this indicator properly though.

Originally Posted by Caramel Clown View Post (Source)
    So there are still some things I need clarification for. There are 4 bars displayed above units, and I think I only have very basic understanding of what they do.
    Two bars on the very top that are side by side - they are health/armor? Why are there two of them. Is the white one is armor, and grey one health?
    Middle bar is heat. I get it. It builds up when you use certain modules/weapons/actions, and vents out passively. When you reach threshold you start damaging internals. Maximum - shutdown the mech.
    And the last one is still confusing - is it stability damage? I know you can get knocked down, or destabilized. I don't really know how to read this indicator properly though.
    Yes - the last one is stability, when it fills up you may fall over.

If you look closely there is a white dot on the bar, If the yellow reaches that dot you become unsteady & lose evasion. You can only get knocked down if you are already unsteady so it takes more than one attack to get a knockdown.

*Edit
    Oh - and the two health bars. The white is armour, the orange is structure. Once you start losing the orange bar repairs become expensive and you are vunerable to critical hits in those armour locations.

White is full armour - grey is damaged armour on the health bar sections. Your mech also has 3 rearside sections for Torsos

I think this should be mentioned too:

I think this should be mentioned too:
    What he means is that if left arm is gone, damage is done to left torso. etc. I understood there is some kind of hit table being rolled and that's how a missing part is handled. You could argue but if arm is not there then it is miss! Ye, no. Because you rolled for a hit in the first place and this is to streamline the whole resolution.

This also means you cannot shield with a dead part...

The game has got 100 times easier since I got a Highlander with a gauss rifle. I've taken it on maybe 6 or 7 missions and I haven't needed to repair it yet, I did one last night where I had to fight two enemy lances at once so I sent the highlander off to fight one lance while my other three mechs went for the other. Still no repairs needed on the Highlander

This also means you cannot shield with a dead part...
    Yeah, similar to the board game. It was always fun to hit a light mech with an AC20 on an arm and have it chew all the way through to the central torso!

Originally Posted by hairychris View Post (Source)
    Yeah, similar to the board game. It was always fun to hit a light mech with an AC20 on an arm and have it chew all the way through to the central torso!
    What I mean here (if we get back into the context of discussion) is it's not immediately obvious to newcomers, if at all, since I did not see any reference to it in the game. An in-game "refresher" of actual board game rules with these little but important details would be welcome...

Playthrough finished. Dekker survived. Scrubs these days just don't know how to roll these type of games. Over the course of the campaign I had 2 casualties, mostly due to recklessly getting into knockdown states. Twice I used ejection - it might have been more if that hadn't been possible.

Started a new campaign. Lost Dekker in the 2nd battle after the prologue. My supreme confidence isn't shattered though. It was a 1 in a million situation of a lethal headshot. That's what I keep telling myself. Spider vs AC5. Now with a more thorough understanding I'll do some other decisions for speccing and equipping, but without the called shot masteries, it instantly feels a bit harder. I think the early game is quite challenging.

So far my first venture into the Battletech sphere has been quite satisfying. I regret nothing.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9121314