Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Future support for Win 32 and DX10

Originally Posted by Phil^ View Post (Source)
    Theres a potential hybrid solution - You could feature-freeze the 32 bit version and/or spin it off as a "legacy" title - so all you would have to deal with are the server comms for any updates, and those should be relatively easy to sort if you also keep a legacy version of the server instances and/or ensure BC with the messaging structures.

Much like how horizons features come only to the horizons season client.
    I think major issue is that it costs extra time just to do that.
    Peteris Krisjanis
    Call sign: Eagleboy | Will play: All Online | Federation | Trader and Explorer, with a little of everything else
    Please support call for ED Linux port https://www.change.org/p/frontier-de...-linux-desktop

please don't ever make us run windows 10
    i'll have nightmares tonight now...

I only use 64bit, have for quite a long time.

That said, i`m concerned for others on 32. You`d be surprised how many people still run on antiquated systems and once the change happens you WILL see a raft of complaints.

Still 6 months is good warning, just send an email to everyone since most will miss it here.

Originally Posted by Robbotech View Post (Source)
    Windows 7 is best 64-bit DX11 OS there it is. So you are safe.
    Peteris Krisjanis
    Call sign: Eagleboy | Will play: All Online | Federation | Trader and Explorer, with a little of everything else
    Please support call for ED Linux port https://www.change.org/p/frontier-de...-linux-desktop

Originally Posted by David Braben View Post (Source)
    About 0.5% of players that have installed Elite Dangerous have used their game on Win32 at some time.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like you aren't talking about current statistics, but more overall in the lifetime of Elite: Dangerous. Are there no current snapshots of the active playerbase and their OS spread?

That said major engines have moved on from 32 bit already, CryTek's Cryengine, DICE/EA's Frostbite and others. Most AAA publisher titles these days doesn't support 32 bit OS anymore. That the world moves on comes only as a surprise to a select few individuals.

Looking at Steam's hardware survey, we are on the way to hitting 50%+ adoption rate on Windows 10 x64 once the September statistics can be tallied at the end of the month. http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

As far as DirectX 10 is concerned, can an GPU from before the 400 Nvidia series even run Elite Dangerous at a framerate that isn't crippling. Is it even a concern? The first DX11 supporting GPU is from 2010.

Please consider this example, if you will. When they first came out, mobile phones used an analogue system for communications. Then, after a while, mobile phones that used a digital system came out. The various networks supported both systems for quite a while. However, as more people switched to the digital mobile phones (with better signal and more functions) the network providers decided to switch off the analogue networks (and, in my case, gave me a new digital mobile phone), which meant they did not have to support and maintain an obsolete system. This not only allows them to concentrate on the current (and future) technologies, it means they can save money by not having to support what is generally agreed to be an obsolete system.

Would you go back to the ancient mobile phones? No, and neither would I.
    Hell Razors' Mentoring Agency.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=146938
    New Commanders, we are prepared to mentor you.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=147109
    Thought on buffing/nerfing.
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=197633

Ships; Anaconda The Helping Hand, Asp Explorer The Curious Cricket, Sidewinders Heavyweight Fleas, Viper IV The Knight Viper, Federal Gunship The Drunken Knurd, Eagle The Peregrine Falcon, and Cobra III
    Playing in the PC/Mac Galaxy

Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post (Source)
    But I'd also suggest not changing requirements mid-season. Each season should have an unchanging minimum requirement. So how about a promise that DX11 will at the very least last until the end of season 3?
    I don't think that is necessary as this will only impact people playing the base game.

Originally Posted by SeaFireliv View Post (Source)
    Still 6 months is good warning, just send an email to everyone since most will miss it here.
    Agreed, perhaps something in the newsletter and other sources.

Since not everyone uses the forum, is it worth dropping this in email to those who have used win32 in the last month?

Or even a message when you log in on the 32bit client?

Otherwise it it ends up a little like:

"But the plans were on display…”
    “On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
    “That’s the display department.”
    “With a flashlight.”
    “Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
    “So had the stairs.”
    “But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
    “Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.

Originally Posted by Robbotech View Post (Source)
    This, please, I plan to remain on windows 7, or move to linux if win 7 stops serving my needs, Windows 10 is a dead end to me.

Better go with the platform agnostic Vulkan in the future, and then you will only have to worry about 1 API for all systems and would make the port to other systems easier.

Fine by me. My current hardware might be old and simple but runs in 64bit and DX11 fairly well. Hope it stays like it at least for Season 3. But probably with season 4 i'd need a major upgrade.
    Griefing harmless NPC Sidewinders since 3301.

Drop it.
    Hardware is cheap now, we are living in XXI century, ED player base is over 30 in most. We can afford new stuff for our fauvorite game, even in not rich countries.

And if someone have a computer from last decade, and is whining he have no money or whatever, it simply mean he can just need to give up from few movies in cinema or beer for a two weeks and then he will able to upgrade stuff.

Win 7 users can upgrade it to 10 for free... it is their choice to stay on outdated software, so it is their choice to not play newer version of ED. They are not a reason to stay on Win32 and old DirectX.

*deactivates cloak*

Originally Posted by David Braben View Post (Source)

It will be at least six months before we would make the change...
    Season 3 will be released roughly 6 months from now then?

Got it!

*activates cloak*
    >> MIND THE GAP...SIGNATURE CREATION IN PROGRESS (Soon™)<<
    List of official design proposals

Well at some point a cut off must be made. We already had a bit higher system requirement when Horizons came out and Season 3 might push it a bit further. Plus it's the only way to keep up with graphics that gamers expect these days but not too high that not everyone can run it. At some point even the ships will need to have another pass in detail and textures.

Also Mr. Braben, thank you

Originally Posted by Iori View Post (Source)
    This, please, I plan to remain on windows 7, or move to linux if win 7 stops serving my needs, Windows 10 is a dead end to me.

Better go with the platform agnostic Vulkan in the future, and then you will only have to worry about 1 API for all systems and would make the port to other systems easier.
    I don't understand all the fuss over Windows 10. Its absolutely fine and in many cases more stable and faster. I have been gaming on 64bit Windows 10 since it was in Beta. There were further improvements to it recently with the Anniversary Update. I think most people avoiding it are just cutting off their nose to spite their face.
    Down & Safe

I am ok with that. However I think every single player, who's PC can run Dx10 will agree that such improvement is only good. But we are yet to see someone who has some old PC...

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast