Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Future support for Win 32 and DX10

Originally Posted by Cheapchips View Post (Source)
    Since not everyone uses the forum, is it worth dropping this in email to those who have used win32 in the last month?

Or even a message when you log in on the 32bit client?
    This.

I'm sure everyone not using said technology is in favour of better development focus.

Originally Posted by Kyokushin View Post (Source)
    Win 7 users can upgrade it to 10 for free
    To be thorough, this was a limited offer, it's not free anymore. But yeah, I don't get all the w10 hate all over the internet.

Originally Posted by Tinman View Post (Source)
    *deactivates cloak*

Season 3 will be released roughly 6 months from now then?

Got it!

*activates cloak*
    Great minds think alike.

Or same obsessive ED minds...

Or....I will get my coat
    Peteris Krisjanis
    Call sign: Eagleboy | Will play: All Online | Federation | Trader and Explorer, with a little of everything else
    Please support call for ED Linux port https://www.change.org/p/frontier-de...-linux-desktop

Originally Posted by paindesegle View Post (Source)
    To be thorough, this was a limited offer, it's not free anymore. But yeah, I don't get all the w10 hate all over the internet.
    Its still free for users who are using this helping tools for invalides (i do not know how it is naming in Enlish, sorry) like screen keyboard or contrast theme. You can not use this, but you need just to 'check' this option. You can use screen keyboard 'sometimes' to have free conscience.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/acc...-free-upgrade/

Originally Posted by Pecisk View Post (Source)
    Windows 7 is best 64-bit DX11 OS there it is. So you are safe.
    Yes, an operating system that is already out of MS mainstream support and finishes extended support in Jan 2020 - which all of a sudden isn't that far away - so not safe for long !

I want the Frontier team to be able to focus on making things better/using the power of new tech like DX12 rather than focusing efforts on legacy support, and I think it's reasonable for a software company to write games for platforms that are actually supported by their owning companies.

My view is to stop DX10 and 32 bit branch development as soon as possible and free up resources to focus on Virtual Reality development instead.

A related Q, does/will Elite be optimised for DirectX 12.0 / Vulcan and the various CPU load improvements included therein? My understanding is that this make take significant development effort as it (potentially) requires changes at the Graphics Engine level.

For reference, for those interested:

CMDR Mal Reynolds (6th Interstellar Corps)

In my opinion you gotta keep pushing the boundaries.

And if you know it's coming I would say do the switch sooner rather than later. I see very little point in being slowed down by old technology when there is a better alternative. And as for the consumers, we have to adapt too.

Originally Posted by Spacemarkl View Post (Source)
    Fine by me. My current hardware might be old and simple but runs in 64bit and DX11 fairly well. Hope it stays like it at least for Season 3. But probably with season 4 i'd need a major upgrade.
    I'm inevtiably going to have upgrade too. Laptop, while 64bit, has only 2 cores, and no business running the game at all as it is, probably. However, noticing the load getting heavier at 2.1 an upgrade is on my mind, so would suggest earliest warning ahead of time is best for anyone in this position and proably everyone else too. For me updated recommended Minimum Specs would be most useful (so I can ignore them again!?).

Frontier will know how many people are playing the 32bit version still but as to what version of DX I'm running, I wouldn't have a clue myself. Some hand-holding then, might soften the blow, for anyone who might have access to the game removed?

Hello David and FD team, I am very pleased by the way you communicate such news. It is always good to take care about player base.

I am not concerned by technical limitations so I do appreciate any effort that can be done en enhance the game and visual effects.

I sincerely hope FD could take this courageous decision for the benefits of the majority of players. 64bits and DirectX12 is the future and the game need it.

I remain pretty confident that people with old hardware could upgrade it by the time !

Thx for reading and your good work FD team.
    My Exploration albums : http://sensai25.imgur.com/

Originally Posted by Kyokushin View Post (Source)
    Its still free for users who are using this helping tools for invalides (i do not know how it is naming in Enlish, sorry) like screen keyboard or contrast theme. You can not use this, but you need just to 'check' this option. You can use screen keyboard 'sometimes' to have free conscience.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/acc...-free-upgrade/
    I didn't know that, that's awesome. Kudos to Microsoft for doing that in the name of accessibility (they did upgrade a few things regarding that in w10).

AFAICT from looking at forums, just about the only people who would be negatively affected by the move to 64bit/DX11 would be some poor sobs trying to run the game on intel graphics (which for some reason, drivers or actual hardware sometimes appear to be problematic with the 64bit versions of the game) or similar "X does not play games" hardware. The ≤0.5% on 32bit operating systems should be visiting whoever sold them their systems with that cruft and bring torches and pitchforks.

And while the ability to run on DX10 level hardware is testament to the awesome optimisation that went into the game, upgrading to DX11 these days is a matter of a dumpster dive; just don't grab the machine I discarded today, that had an awesome Matrox card that you really don't want.

So… kill it with fire.

I'm certain I'm adding nothing that hasn't been raked over by lots of people at Frontier in discussions about this, but my own opinion is that dropping support for 32 bit and DX10 is the correct thing to do. We should all be aware that as time moves on, technology moves on - and if Elite tries to force itself to fit into older obsolete tech, it's going to be left behind. This is contrary to what Elite has been since 1984 (at the forefront of videogame tech), and also contrary to the Elite that we bought - most of us know this is an on-going project with a ten year plan and I don't think anyone could reasonably assume that the final game should run on decade old OS's and drivers. Do we want development gimped by trying to design future plans like atmospheres, gas giants, weather, clouds, cities, etc, so that the game can run passably on obsolete systems?

I think most people would say no.

There are inevitably going to be complaints, but I think with enough warning and clear transparent information, there's nothing unreasonable about this.

I also hugely appreciate that you're taking the time to ask this so early on - I agree with some others that it's probably best to make sure the information goes to as many people as possible, by using perhaps email, the newsletter, warnings on the launcher, reddit, here... repeated over the next few months up to the point where the support is dropped. That gives everyone who may be affected lots of warning and the opportunity to upgrade.

Thank you!

If the Devs want it for 'better performance and prettier effects', then so do I.

Originally Posted by sensai25 View Post (Source)
    Hello David and FD team, I am very pleased by the way you communicate such news. It is always good to take care about player base.

I am not concerned by technical limitations so I do appreciate any effort that can be done en enhance the game and visual effects.

I sincerely hope FD could take this courageous decision for the benefits of the majority of players. 64bits and DirectX12 is the future and the game need it.

I remain pretty confident that people with old hardware could upgrade it by the time !

Thx for reading and your good work FD team.
    Why Dx12 and not Vulkan? Is there anything Dx12 can do that Vulcan can't, other than running in less platforms?

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast