Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Future support for Win 32 and DX10

Originally Posted by paindesegle View Post (Source)
    To be thorough, this was a limited offer, it's not free anymore. But yeah, I don't get all the w10 hate all over the internet.
    I guess 99% of this hate comes from people who never had the opportunity to actually use Windows 10. I *loved* Windows 7 when I was still using it cause it was by far the best Windows at that time while Vista was a disaster. At first I also hated Windows 10, maybe mainly because I'm such a conservative grump and always have a hard time to let something go that I love. But Windows 10 is simply better. Windows 7 isn't supported anymore, good luck if you can deal with its ever growing security holes...

I think all in all it's a good decision. ED don't have to run on an abacus.

Before Windows 10 I was an aggressive Windows hater in general and openly supporting (and still using) Linux. Windows 10 has largely changed that, can't even say Linux is generally "better" than Windows anymore. So from my point of view this hate is pretty much irrational.

As expected, those who will benefit are in favour. I wonder when we'll hear from someone who this will affect adversely?
    'Once OS X has been updated to support OpenGL compute shaders, or other technical options are available to us, we will certainly be very keen on supporting that platform.'

Thanks David!

Originally Posted by sensai25 View Post (Source)
    Hello David and FD team, I am very pleased by the way you communicate such news. It is always good to take care about player base.

I am not concerned by technical limitations so I do appreciate any effort that can be done en enhance the game and visual effects.

I sincerely hope FD could take this courageous decision for the benefits of the majority of players. 64bits and DirectX12 is the future and the game need it.

I remain pretty confident that people with old hardware could upgrade it by the time !

Thx for reading and your good work FD team.
    This will mean the XboxOne version of the game will also benefit form it.. Hope they will support DX12.

totally supporting it. We have the same "fights" going on here in the company, and it costs us a significant amount of development, support and fixing-time, which de facto means: It´s a) more expensive, b) slower. So lets go, as fast as you can

Neues deutsches Forum: www.elite-commanders.de
    Mark Allen: "While it's true that the PvP crowd do tend to be more vocal and in previous betas have given more organised feedback, we're well aware that the majority of players don't get involved in PvP." (22nd of Nov, 2016)

If this really is going to be a 10 year development I expect there will be lots of occurrences where stuff like this needs to happen, in fact it already has leaving the OSX behind until Apple sort the Compute Shaders. Also, what's happening in six months David? Let the season three speculation commence!

Originally Posted by Iori View Post (Source)
    Why Dx12 and not Vulkan? Is there anything Dx12 can do that Vulcan can't, other than running in less platforms?
    Explicit Multi Adapter. Vulkan doesn't (yet) have a mechanism for card-to-card memory copies; this is supposedly coming in an upcoming revision to the API.

As long as I don't need windows 10 to play it is all good.
    Three exclamation marks...
    The sure sign of a diseased mind!!

Playing as Cmdr Wampso Ruukh

good we might get to see some improvements in instancing

I still have a notebook that's restricted to DX10 I think, but that's not a system I'd play Elite on anyway.
    I also agree to drop 32 bit support. I'm actually a bit surprised you guys haven't done so already.

Originally Posted by rote1 View Post (Source)
    As long as I don't need windows 10 to play it is all good.
    Windows 10 is actually very good for gaming... Some even say better.. (af course, i don't know what you are using now..)

Copy pasta of my comment on the Elite Reddit:

Makes perfect sense. Horizons is already 64bit & DX11 only, and OS' older than Windows 7 aren't supported by the basegame.

Furthermore, the Steam hardware survey stats (of its 125m+ users) shows:
    • 90% of users have 64bit Windows 7/8/8.1/10
    • 85% of users have DX11+ GPU
    • 75%+ of users have DX11+ GPU & 64bit Windows 7/8/8.1/10

For those that need to upgrade but on a budget:
    • Windows 7 around £20 on eBay
    • GeForce GTX 470 (minimum for Horizons) around £30 on eBay (note: may need new PSU)

*Mod hat off

Thanks David,

Now that we are on a similar topic, any news about Horizons on Mac? Any developments on that front?

Originally Posted by cptdavep View Post (Source)
    in fact it already has leaving the OSX behind until Apple sort the Compute Shaders.
    From what little I understand, Apple already sorted things out, and decided (once again) to choose their own way of doing things vs. cross compatibility. That means that a Mac version of something would have to have its own team of developing for the specifics. I think the cited reasoning was better performance for them, which makes sense, but better performance by alienating programming for your users, who are already a small demographic that isn't catered to by the gaming industry, that doesn't make sense. If a major platform like MS had switched gears like that, then yes, developers would follow. Apple, probably not.

Originally Posted by David Braben View Post (Source)
    Hi Everyone,

As you know we spend a good deal of time planning for the future, and one issue (and opportunity) we are considering is the effect of supporting Win32 and DX10, and the benefits we would get if we were to drop them. As you know, we support leading edge technology like 4K, 8K, VR, and with things like compute shaders in Horizons we really push the boundaries overall, but there are restrictions with Win32 – particularly the amount of memory we can address at one time – and with DX10 in terms of requiring an alternative rendering solution in our code. Dropping these two would help us support high end effects with a better result – to make the game better.

About 0.5% of players that have installed Elite Dangerous have used their game on Win32 at some time. Some of these machines are capable of running Win64 (ie the hardware would support it). With DX10 (fewer than 2% of players) it is more tricky as you may need to upgrade the graphics card on such machines.

We do appreciate that although those are small percentages, that is still a significant number of people affected. We want to give as much notice as we can. It will be at least six months before we would make the change, but we want to know your opinions first, and to give warning that the change will need to come at some point, so please let us know.

Thanks.

David Braben

I won't be able to play on my Raspberry Pi any more?!?

Serious reply: Six months notice should be more than enough. Perhaps provide some kind of system check program so people can be sure their system can handle the new version.

Originally Posted by DustyArne View Post (Source)
    Windows 10 is actually very good for gaming... Some even say better.. (af course, i don't know what you are using now..)
    Agreed, however I am a bit old school when it comes to my OS choice and I like to tell it exactly how to do things, forced updates, semi-forced app store and constant phoning home make windows 10 something I wont touch with a loooong pole.

Still on Win7 here.
    Three exclamation marks...
    The sure sign of a diseased mind!!

Playing as Cmdr Wampso Ruukh

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast