Page 25 of 79 FirstFirst ... 20232425262730 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Feedback for player fighters

Marks most recent suggestions I really like, but if a ship is able to, please let us deploy two. It would make things much, much more interesting in dogfights, conflict zones and defence etc. Heck, if you're in your type 9 and happen to see a conflict zone and don't want to wait an hour for your Vulture....

Got to admit. I thought the fighters would be faster too. I can't really see a point in them at the moment. And I so wanted them to be useful!

Originally Posted by satanstattooist View Post (Source)
    Got to admit. I thought the fighters would be faster too. I can't really see a point in them at the moment. And I so wanted them to be useful!
    500 - 600 m/s range would be great, they don't have much to bring to the table than speed and maneuverability, you know "'Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee" the hands can't hit what the eye can't see, or something something....

Took a Type-9 into a USS, 3 Authority and a Pirate.
    Weapons : 3x C2 Burst Turret, 2x C1 MC Turret

Plan was to have the Harmless NPC fly my Ship while I'm buzzing around in the Taipan.

- upon Disengaging, had one of the Authority locked.
    - Deployed Hardpoints
    - Selected the Taipan and clicked Launch
    - saw me in the Taipan launching with an immediate Assault Fine (?)
    (guess the UI Trigger is being taken into Firing a Weapon again, old issue)

- so flying off my Harmless Type-9 was under attack and voice states accordingly

- looking around not much to do, so I fiddled around with the HDD (Heads Down Display) to get the Docking Clearance
    - turns out docking with a NPC-Controlled Mothership is impossible as it's still maneuvering (Defensive)
    - tried to "Switch" but couldn't find the Option in the HDD
    - finally found the Option to cancel docking
    - hit the "Switch" in order to get back into Type-9 Control
    - ended up with a black transition Screen and hearing Weapons fire hitting the hull indefinitely (Quit Game was only Solution)

-----------------------------------------------
    So apart from the Game registering the UI Button (Primary Fire button used to activate UI entries) as its 2nd assignment as well (Fire Weapons), the HDD (Heads Down Display) has proven to be a major interference with efficient Fighter usage and command.
    Several Tabs which serve no purpose in Combat and way too much clicking and toggling around while looking down.

I really hope there'll be a series of additional Hotkeys to give all of the time-critical orders (Switch Helm, Defend, Attack, Launch, Dock). The few existing ones are a start, but I'd need almost all of them to assign Hotkeys for.
    Managing that Heads-Down Display while in combat seems a major pain in the rear, no way I'll waste precious time down there trying to find the right Tab and the Right Button.

PS.
    I wouldn't mind a default behaviour after deployment and an Option to Auto-Deploy the Fighter when under attack.
    That way, I could at least get it auto-launched without any additional Input should I wish to do so and have an NPC Fighter start defending the Mothership right away.

Sounds like a good one for voice attack (I can't use that as my house requires silence but I can imagine).

Right now I'm failing to see the benefit of this update. It's not something that a very large number of players will be able to get to grips with anyway.

The only viable medium ship (gunship) is hidden behind a grind wall and there is no other medium option. Why isn't there at least a variant of the the Python that can use fighters?
    When will the empire get an equivalent to the gunship? Currently the federation have 4 ranked ships and the empire basically have two. One of which is nothing more
    than a glorified trader or executive taxi cab.

Luckily I can afford an Anaconda, but I'm still in two minds about whether I actually want to use a beast that flies like a turd through treacle.
    What is the point of having an update that is so crippled in usabililty?

I regret two things:

1. Fighters are too slow
    2. They don't have a fuel tank.

I like the idea of increasing the speed of the booster. But I would like more to see their constant speed increasing too. This advantage could be compensated through consuming higher amounts of fuel when boosting a lot or flying constantly at high speed so you have to redock and refuel (if your fighter survives for that long).

Another possibility would be to increase heat gaining when going for too long at high speeds.

Originally Posted by Ozram View Post (Source)
    Sounds like a good one for voice attack (I can't use that as my house requires silence but I can imagine).
    No man cave??

Originally Posted by march topcat View Post (Source)
    I regret two things:

1. Fighters are too slow
    2. They don't have a fuel tank.

I like the idea of increasing the speed of the booster. But I would like more to see their constant speed increasing too. This advantage could be compensated through consuming higher amounts of fuel when boosting a lot or flying constantly at high speed so you have to redock and refuel (if your fighter survives for that long).

Another possibility would be to increase heat gaining when going for too long at high speeds.
    500 m/s without boost, 600 m/s with. That should do the trick.

Originally Posted by Lysander lysan View Post (Source)
    500 m/s without boost, 600 m/s with. That should do the trick.
    If it were up to me (and that's OK that it isn't), the Taipan would go 300 m/s with boost to 400 (but heaviest in terms of defences and dps), the imperial one would go 350 with boost to 450 but be most maneuverable of the bunch and the Fed fighter would be 400 with boost to 500 with least maneuverability of the bunch. Each would be useful in distinct ways as the Taipan would provide the heaviest close support, the Imperial one would be great against small ships that tend to evade turrets and the Fed variety would be the "aggressive" one of the bunch. That's if it were up to me, but frankly I was pretty happy with the last Dev suggestion to be floated.

Originally Posted by Lysander lysan View Post (Source)
    No man cave??
    No... Unfortunately I handed that over to the wife and now my "office" sits in the living room.

fighters should be individual ships that can fly on their own, that just happen to be able to dock and launch from other ships. also the fighters should have supercruise but not frame shift capabilities. then fd should work on hireable npc wingmen. this would effectively let you have multiple ship launched fighters or a fellow wingman to help you out.

the game already generates npc wings, why not let us hire some?

I just want my Vette and Cutter and Conda ro be able to deploy 2 lol

14. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #374
    Designer- Elite: Dangerous Frontier Employee
    Good news. So for now we're able to do two of my suggestions (as it's an entirely design driven change I can do) and this will be in an update soon. These are points 2) and 3) in my post.

For boost speed we'll be increasing it by 150m/s for all three fighters.

For DPS we're going to increase it by 12.5%.

Originally Posted by Mike Evans View Post (Source)
    Good news. So for now we're able to do two of my suggestions (as it's an entirely design driven change I can do) and this will be in an update soon. These are points 2) and 3) in my post.

For boost speed we'll be increasing it by 150m/s for all three fighters.

For DPS we're going to increase it by 12.5%.
    I'd say 570m/s boost speed for the Gu-97 is barely even practical, in my honest opinion it doesn't need any speed increase.

added: if it needs a speed boost to stay in line with it's intended role among the fighters, perhaps a bit less is enough.

Page 25 of 79 FirstFirst ... 20232425262730 ... LastLast