Page 235 of 265 FirstFirst ... 230233234235236237240 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,525 of 3964

Thread: Geyser and Fumarole Location Catalog and Data Collection

Of course glide is not the only way, other viable would be to get fastest engineered ship like Imperial Eagle or Courier (mine does 750 m/s when low on fuel), perfect flying with Flight Assist off, and your time of scanning a body will not be that much longer than when you use glide. I actually use both methods.

Originally Posted by D.D.Hariman View Post (Source)
    Well,, If I am going to explore for these things, I am going to have to either do it all in normal space, (I really like varonica's idea for a dedicated fast ship and that was why I asked if the fellows Eagle was engineered.) or, write a VA macro that will do the switchback with minimal oversight from me.

That said, since the reason I started this was invalid, if I want to find planetary elements for doing engineering and synthesis, I think I may have to revert to SRV searching but do it in canyons and such where I might stumble on a volcanic site instead of out in wide open flat places.

I like exploration.. I like collecting salvage. My Dolphin usually nets me a million CR each load. I liked taking out skimmers and stingers with the SRV. Hope the DEV's make that possible again. I like taking out the punks that try to interdict me or attack me at a USS in anarchy. The ones sitting on planets now are almost too easy.

So, I am reflecting on what ship to build to do these multiple roles. I think I can do something with my AspX but the cargo space would be a bit limited at probably 16. The Dolphin has plenty of cargo space (68) but way too limited firepower and won't support the KWS anyway. The Cobra MKIII supports the KWS and has the firepower with Primo synthesized Ammo but cargo space is non-existent when armored up good.

In the mean time, since I am already on this body and I know it has volcanic activity, I plan to work on the VA Macro to do varonica's simpler single back flip and see if I can find at least one more site.
    I use a size 3 fuel scoop in my AspX, and a size 5 cargo bay to collect some salvage to sell for a bit of a bonus whenever I go to turn in my exploration data, gives me 32 tons of space but if you use a size 6 it would give you some more space. I use a size six shield and have weapons engineered for light weight for when some npc decides to interrupt my exploring.

Originally Posted by varonica View Post (Source)
    Very nice, and as Baton said all we can say is, this is how we do it, adapt and change to your own style and ability.

And as far as the nausea goes the most commonly used medication on board the ISS is anti-nausea medication, so some people getting nauseous flying a pretend space ship is not unexpected!
    Well, I am 68 and I started playing "space" games when I was 20. It wasn't until I got the hand injury, which was after I started needing at least single focal glasses that I started having nausea issues.

I have a business sharpening and repairing beauty, barber, veterinary, grooming and livestock husbandry equipment. It isn't as detailed as clock repair, but some of the parts are pretty small and at one point I found myself spending more time changing glasses to get different magnifications than I actually spent working.

Went to an eye doctor and explained the problem and she wrote a special prescription for my glasses.

Most of the "no-line" simply start near the bottom with the correction for reading and progress upwards to a point with the head level and eyes straight for long distance.

Mine start at the bottom with the strength of about a 8X magnifying glass if I had 20/20 vision and go through the reading stage to the long distance (anything over about 36 inches to 3 miles) and then back to the reading stage so I can be under a piece of equipment and look up and get some magnification. This same effect also goes side to side from the long distance point for similar reasons. Sometimes you can only look sideways into something. The lenses themselves are just under 2 inches (5cm) top to bottom and just over that side to side in some nice feminine fashion frames so, I don't look like the geek that I am when I meet a new potential client and offer my services.

I have a 27 inch monitor (up from and old 17 inch) so I can now sit about 36 inches from the screen and still see the text after I did the color scheme change. BUT, my keyboard now falls right in the 8X range if all I do is lower my eyes. Snapping my head up and down was giving me major neck strain.

I may be obsessed with being able to do this since I dreamed about it last night and got up this morning with the idea that the whole operation will best work as three separate macros.
    1. The back flip and boost to orbital cruise.
    2. the front flip and dive to orbital glide.
    3. the actual glide.

#1 should work over a very wide range of planetary gravity's and ships without needing tweeking.

#2 should work over a narrower gravity specific planetary range and with most of the ships in the 70-85% agility range. I am guessing .05 g to maybe .5 g. Anything above .5g is going to be so big that unless private group got together and did a team search, one person would find it very tedious. As someone noted, probably someplace around 150 km or less radius, it would be easier and about as fast to do the survey completely in normal space.

#3 will likely always have to be tweeted (timing between Pitch Downs) for each gravity/radius. VA allows for a mass update so it is a simple process.

I also reached the conclusion that since correcting for the curve automatically would be a moving target with each change of latitude, these routines will likely work best on a longitudinal pattern. Yes, there would be major overlap at the poles, but, the time saved and precision of the track should make the whole search faster.

Should be able to come out of the glide, do a quick check/correction of everything, give the back flip command which would include the SC and BOOST, watch altitude and with some practice, give the front flip command shortly before the upper limit of scanner visibility so the peak clears the mass lock (that seemed to be the minimum altitude needed to be able to pitch the nose down below ZERO so as to get into the glide), as soon as the glide engages and scanner is working, do a correction to about -8 degree and give the GLIDE command that should keep -5.5 to -6.5/7 until glide complete at which time there would have to be an abort command given to stop the automatic pitch downs. Then repeat.

Well,,, You can probably do this kind'a in full manual,, but, since the glide end altitude can vary between about 6km (on planets so far from .07g/285km to .2g/760km) to sometimes as high is 13 km, trying to simply repeat the macro makes so many additional manual corrections that you might as well do it all manually anyway.

BUT,, after tweeking a bit for the .2g/760km planet it is now pretty consistent as long as I start the backflip/climb between 2.5-3km altitude and start the frontflip/dive between 32-35km altitude. This results in going into the glide at about 30 deg down and 40-42km. Generally end up with a search gap less than the scanner overlap and if it glides all the way to 6km I cover about 155km. My personal best so far is 170.

To save a bit of time and get a bit more search, I now order up some forward speed while applying down thrust to get back down to the 2.5-3km start point.

Well, off to make a little money so I can support my obsession.

May sound silly, but I wonder how would your eyes work with VR. I have presbyopia as well but not as developed as yours, so for two screens I am fine with office glasses. For Oculus VR I do not need to wear any glasses and everything looks fine. Maybe you would be OK with single pair or some contact lenses.

I think you should consider just simply engineering faster ship and look for geysers in normal flight, that is perfectly doable, I was finding planetary bases and volcanisms just looking for things and not POI, on top of that in such flight I was OK with simple gamepad and few controls

Originally Posted by Baton View Post (Source)
    May sound silly, but I wonder how would your eyes work with VR. I have presbyopia as well but not as developed as yours, so for two screens I am fine with office glasses. For Oculus VR I do not need to wear any glasses and everything looks fine. Maybe you would be OK with single pair or some contact lenses.

I think you should consider just simply engineering faster ship and look for geysers in normal flight, that is perfectly doable, I was finding planetary bases and volcanisms just looking for things and not POI, on top of that in such flight I was OK with simple gamepad and few controls
    The only time I have tried a demo of a VR helmet at an electronics store they had to clean the helmet. Now I did not try it without the glasses and that might be worth a shot.

Hehehehe,, I got into looking for the geysers and such because i was looking for the elements and materials I need to do the engineering. Kind of a catch 22.

Should be able to come out of the glide, do a quick check/correction of everything, give the back flip command which would include the SC and BOOST, watch altitude and with some practice, give the front flip command shortly before the upper limit of scanner visibility so the peak clears the mass lock (that seemed to be the minimum altitude needed to be able to pitch the nose down below ZERO so as to get into the glide), as soon as the glide engages and scanner is working, do a correction to about -8 degree and give the GLIDE command that should keep -5.5 to -6.5/7 until glide complete at which time there would have to be an abort command given to stop the automatic pitch downs. Then repeat.
    Setting up commands for these maneuvers is a great idea. I have some macros for Thargoid combat, I think I'll prepare a set for executing glides and whatnot.

Originally Posted by Maligno View Post (Source)
    Setting up commands for these maneuvers is a great idea. I have some macros for Thargoid combat, I think I'll prepare a set for executing glides and whatnot.
    So far I have the flip and boost into SC working great.

Here is the GLIDE CLIMB macro
    Play sound, 'C:\Users\User\Videos\Elite Dangerous\VA responses\aye aye captain.wma'
    Execute command, 'ahead slow five' (and wait until it completes)
    Execute command, 'long range' (and wait until it completes) (makes sure the scanner is in long range)
    Execute command, 'pitch up 150' (to get 150 degrees rotation at 5% speed press and hold the pitch up key for 6 seconds then release in a cobra MKIII with all engine pips)
    Pause 1 second
    Press 5 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release (start SC)
    Pause 8 seconds
    Press Tab key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
    Play sound, 'C:\Users\User\Videos\Elite Dangerous\VA responses\you have the conn sir.wma'

The dive back down is proving to be tricky since the rate of pitch gets faster with the speed at which it is happening. Right now I am using a "pitch down" macro that at 5% speed is 120 give or take 5 deg. BUT::

If I start the dive too late the altitude and speed are higher and the dive goes so far around I end up going into glide going the wrong way upside down.

If I start it too early the altitude and speed are lower and I don't get pointed steep enough down to keep from having a big gap between start of the climb and the "TICK" where the scanner kicks back in.

When I start it at the right point in the climb, it rotates me around about 180 (to about -60 or or so) and I get something like the following.

I am going to keep trying, but it is starting to look like the dive into orbital glide is going to have to be done manually to accurately hit -65 to -70 followed with a macro pitch of 60 deg to and minor adjustments to about -6 deg starting just before the "TICK".

I have the final part working great. On two tries where it all worked, I have distances of 79.54 km, (this one got corrected to ~-6 deg at about 14km but had a 49km gap) and my second and best so far got corrected corrected at about 19 km and the macro held it between -7 and -6 for 149 Km with a gap of 27.3 km.

Here is the GLIDE SEARCH macro.
    Play sound, 'C:\Users\User\Videos\Elite Dangerous\VA responses\aye aye captain.wma'
    Execute command, 'pitch down' (and wait until it completes)
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Pause 3.25 seconds
    Play sound, 'C:\Users\User\Videos\Elite Dangerous\VA responses\you have the conn sir.wma'

I have it play sounds so I know when a macro has started and when it is finished.

So, there I am scanning this moon, found another four brain tree sites so far but no other biology, anyway I was running low on fuel and this star was unscoopable so off I went to the next nearest star, only about 1.6kls away so a quick hop, so I fuel up and notice the rest of the bodies here haven't been scanned by me and so off I go. Then I also notice that one moon was in the right temp range and volcanic, but no splash craters, and it's big, nearly 800km radius, not a lot of chance but I decided to give me a change I would do one glide over some canyons, it has plenty of big ones, so......one glide, cone fungus site....right.

The other things about these two bodies I am searching? They are a good match for the alien tube worm systems in the current Canonn search criteria. Class M and a class L in a binary arrangement. So fingers crossed. Still only covered 12 equatorial degrees on my first body so it's back to that and come back here after for more searching.

OK.. Finally got 10 straight run without a high altitude abort using the VA macros with some occasional manual corrections mostly during the dive phase but also during the search phase after the TICK. The dive phase I think simply has too many variables in it to not require significant extra control but automating the climb to ORBITAL GLIDE and the Glide during the SEARCH phase did result in significant improvements in my consistency and did allow me to do it with out a barf basket. The DIVE still puts me on the edge though.
    Average distance surveyed was about 65 km
    Average gap was about 12 km
    Average run time was about 2 minutes
    At full speed in my Cobra MKIII I can cover about 40 km without any gaps.
    With something engineered to run at anything over 600 I can do as well as I can doing the glide and be sure I have no gaps.

I got into this because I was looking for a faster way to find the rare planetary elements so I could get into engineering my ship. Since the sites don't seem to regenerate, that doesn't seem like a good way to do it.

So, I have also concluded that I can do element search faster by SRV surface surveying with a bonus that I can collect salvage, and maybe bounty hunt the sitting duck NPC's I find on the planet. Those guys also occasionally give up some interesting DATA when they are scanned and from reading other threads sometimes there are some MATERIALS and/salvage in the wreckage field.

I have had the chance to interact with some dedicated interesting people here and I hope to be back with a faster ship at some point in the future.

I have a real life friend that is local who has watched the videos of the one site I found and he is hooked. I am going to help him get a rig similar to mine and then we will explore the PRIVATE GROUP play and double team these places.

If anyone wants the final macros PM me and we will work out a way to get them to you. Understand,, these macros are pretty ship and planetary body specific so you will need to have enough understanding of VA to know how to modify them for your circumstances.

Bye bye for now..

I got into this because I was looking for a faster way to find the rare planetary elements so I could get into engineering my ship. Since the sites don't seem to regenerate, that doesn't seem like a good way to do it.
    The material nodes on volcanic and organic sites regenerate every 2 weeks.

Since we have vast database of Brain Trees, I can always get what I need. I haven't done conventional prospecting in many months thanks to Brain Trees.

The material nodes on volcanic and organic sites regenerate every 2 weeks.

Since we have vast database of Brain Trees, I can always get what I need. I haven't done conventional prospecting in many months thanks to Brain Trees.
    Of course the thing us you can have a lot of biology and volcanic sites on one body if you pick the right body, the one I am searching now currently has 11 Brain Tree sites and 1 volcanic site. It's 12kly from Sol so it's a good mat collecting spot for people heading out this way. Oh yes and two bodies in the system with biology so potentially a lot more. However if you are just randomly searching for sites for a quick mat refill rather than surveying then forget the surveying method, gliding over interesting areas has always been quicker for me just to find the odd site, but you do miss a lot out.

Average distance surveyed was about 65 km
    Average gap was about 12 km
    Average run time was about 2 minutes
    At full speed in my Cobra MKIII I can cover about 40 km without any gaps.
    With something engineered to run at anything over 600 I can do as well as I can doing the glide and be sure I have no gaps.
    That's true for small bodies and fast ships, I can't see any reason to use glide to survey a body under 200km radius, however I can cover over 250km in a good glide on my current body, with a perfect glide probably over 300kms, even with a fast ship there's probably little chance of matching that, so it's different for different bodies. Anyway have fun, been nice having you here.

Fly safe CMDR o7

Originally Posted by varonica View Post (Source)
    That's true for small bodies and fast ships, I can't see any reason to use glide to survey a body under 200km radius, however I can cover over 250km in a good glide on my current body, with a perfect glide probably over 300kms, even with a fast ship there's probably little chance of matching that, so it's different for different bodies. Anyway have fun, been nice having you here.

Fly safe CMDR o7
    Will you be a sport and take note of the typical amount of time it takes you to set up your glide? I'll take notes next time I'm out surveying a planet, but I don't have your level of experience. I just wonder if we can develope a rule of thumb as to the best method to use, perhaps boil it down to a specific radius, like 500km...

Will you be a sport and take note of the typical amount of time it takes you to set up your glide? I'll take notes next time I'm out surveying a planet, but I don't have your level of experience. I just wonder if we can develope a rule of thumb as to the best method to use, perhaps boil it down to a specific radius, like 500km...
    I will do some timings, tick on this body happens around 39-41km, if I can be level flight at 35km and end at 7km (it's sometimes slightly higher and lower than those two but they will do) that's a loooong glide with around 7% angle. In fact that's some easy math there, we have a right angle triangle with one known side 28km and two known angles, 7 and 90 (disregarding planet curvature of course). Hmm that gives 229km, slightly less than my gestimate using converted degrees but not by much and still mighty far. If I can get a glide starting at 41km tick I get 285km, they are both within shouting distance of my estimate.

I will do a timing from start to end of process, basically from level flight in normal space to level flight again. We only need to know the speed in mps of craft we are using to compare it with. Now mine is ridiculously slow in normal space, I think un-engineered my T6 is 279mps, so by any regards glide is going to be faster, but up around 1000mps 4 minutes would cover roughly the same ground, that's why my wish is for around 900mps. I will update later with my time.

Ok timing done, I can do some more for comparison but we are really only doing it rough because so many things affect glide length. Got into glide a bit late this time. So level flight I hit timer and then nose up, hit SC then boost to get over before it kicks in to negative 60 degrees, then nose over at point of start OC down to 57 degrees, tick at this point started at 39km and level glide at glide at 33km, exit glide at 5.6km, a good glide all the same. 2min 51.7 seconds.Take a second or so off to get my finger back and forward to timer, say 2min 50sec even. Using a height of 28km and an angle or 7 degrees which I tried to keep as best I could comes to 229km in glide.

So Maligno you are cruising at 650mps (not counting boost of course) which is .65kps, comes to 5.8 minutes to cover the same distance. It's all pretty seat of the pants calculations of course but I reckon on a small body under 200km radius with a roughly 12km tick you will be lucky to even get 8km vertical glide height, probably closer to 7km. We'll work on ideal 8km which will give around 65km in glide, so 1min 20 seconds for you to cover that, I think you are well ahead in normal space with those figures considering the time it takes to actually set up the glide!

Guys, I've been thinking, what about if shrinking POI blinks the moment you are almost directly (or very close) above the site? That would explain why it does not blink if you are not moving, and sometimes it gets a while to start shrinking?
    Would be fairly easy to check, just take the screenshot the moment after the blink, and then compare the coordinates once you are at the site.
    Will be doing that starting today, but as always second opinion is appreciated

Moved back to Guardian bubble, as not having much luck looking for pumpkins near California Nebula, found plenty of bark mounds, but that is not what I am after. Will finish scan of HIP 41908, see how many I can find in total.