Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Experiment: Hatchbreakers just got real

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1
    Lead Designer- Elite: Dangerous
    Frontier Employee

Experiment: Hatchbreakers just got real

Hello Commanders!

In what is likely to be the final surprise test for beta 2.2, we're making a change to hatchbreaker limpets.

They will no longer be affected by shields.

Hatch breakers, as before, cannot be shot down by point defence. ECMs will still work (and should still work to remove them from the hull).

They will still travel at 300 m/s.

Piracy is a multi-faceted issue, we understand that this is is only a small part of the equation. However, we are interested in seeing what difference pulling this one lever will have.

This change should drop in the next beta update.

Feedback, as usual, will be greatly appreciated!

Woah! That'll be an interesting change.

Originally Posted by Sandro Sammarco View Post (Source)
    Hatch breakers, as before, cannot be shot down by point defence. ECMs will still work (and should still work to remove them from the hull).
    Is that a typo? I thought I remember my PD turrets shooting at hatch breakers, back when NPC's used to fire them off all the time?

Pirates, stand up!

It's your night, boys.
    --
    1700+ hours put in means I will speak my mind.
    --
    CMDR Heavenly Hammer
    HTC Vive VR @ 4/7/16 | Oculus Rift @ 9/20/16
    32" 21:9 + i7 6700K + 1080Ti Black + 32GB RAM + CH Stick, Throttle & Pedals
    My Shipyard: Sidewinder, Eagle, iEagle, Adder, Viper 3, Cobra 3, Cobra 4, 2x iCourier, DbX, Vulture, AspS, AspX, 6x FDS, FAS, iClipper, 2x FDL, FGS, Python, Beluga, Conda, Corvette, 2x iCutter
    Imperial King |Federation Admiral
    Elite Combat Pilot | Elite Trader | Elite Explorer on 2/2/17
    NeoGAFer

Not affected by point defence? Seems a bit too harsh on that front. Maybe armour them more like torpedoes?

Wow, this was unexpected.

-CMDR Sali Vader // Join SINC today! // Discord

Dis gonna be gud.
    (no sarcasm)

Actually, Sandro, how about making "avoids shield" a property for other smart flying stuff? Say, about torps... Make them ignore shields entirely? Like in Battlefleet Gothic?

LOVELY! What an exciting test! We should have betas like this more often! So much progress being made on balance.
    My name is pronounced "Fren - ox". Just pretend the T is silent, and you'll get it right. When in doubt, you can always just call me "Fren".

[Research] Detailed Heat Mechanics
    How to Fix the Engineers (or at least make them less frustrating)
    Armor Mechanics Explained
    Turret Adjustment Proposal
    Alternate Shield Cell Bank Implementation

Hm... Nice idea, hatch breakers going through shield are pretty real, since these are hacking tools, which might have some shield frequency hacking device on board. But why disallow PD to shoot them down? I thought that's PD's exact job - to not allow anything small and dangerous to get close to mothership. ECM is pretty easy to use - press button, release and limpet is dead (as I understood). However with PDs you need to manage your ship to get limpet into your PDs' firing angle and allow them to shoot it down.

But still - it seems very interesting and should give some life to piracy (which will actually encourage pirating victim, not destroying). Let's see how it works out.

I find it funny I can fly into a planet and bounce off, but a drone can slip through the shield.

What is this, Dune?

It makes for better pirating, but like the manned / unmanned telepresence issue its yet another inconsistency to deal with.

Originally Posted by KG_Jedi View Post (Source)

But still - it seems very interesting and should give some life to piracy (which will actually encourage pirating victim, not destroying). Let's see how it works out.
    very much this. Piracy around CGs and Engineer bases is gunna be a thing. Body is ready.
    --
    1700+ hours put in means I will speak my mind.
    --
    CMDR Heavenly Hammer
    HTC Vive VR @ 4/7/16 | Oculus Rift @ 9/20/16
    32" 21:9 + i7 6700K + 1080Ti Black + 32GB RAM + CH Stick, Throttle & Pedals
    My Shipyard: Sidewinder, Eagle, iEagle, Adder, Viper 3, Cobra 3, Cobra 4, 2x iCourier, DbX, Vulture, AspS, AspX, 6x FDS, FAS, iClipper, 2x FDL, FGS, Python, Beluga, Conda, Corvette, 2x iCutter
    Imperial King |Federation Admiral
    Elite Combat Pilot | Elite Trader | Elite Explorer on 2/2/17
    NeoGAFer

Well didn't see that coming but a very intersting idea to revitalize "fair" piracy dynamic.

My Clippiracy will get hatch breaker again !

This is amazing news. Piracy might slip towards viability now.

Why the point defense can't deal with hatchbreakers? it's supposed that this is the objetive of PD, missiles, torpedoes, mines and all this kind of threats in space.

Is like a Phalanx CIWS, shoot to everything above the water!!

Nice...I'll give it a go, yarr

Commander Monk Edgecomb
    Duke, HIP 16858

“If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.”

Originally Posted by Rubbernuke View Post (Source)
    I find it funny I can fly into a planet and bounce off, but a drone can slip through the shield.

What is this, Dune?

It makes for better pirating, but like the manned / unmanned telepresence issue its yet another inconsistency to deal with.
    Given that collector limpets go right through shields, I'd say it's actually an increase in consistency.

Landing gear goes through shields too. The consistency is: low velocity = through shields, high velocity = hits shields. And shields can't go through shields, which is why ship to ship hits shields first. Now all that's not consistent there is asteroids and planets.

Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast