Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: Newsletter #148

1. Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. #1

Newsletter #148

New format/layout for our weekly newsletter. Hope you like it!

-----

@firstname, Get all the latest from  The Guardians update

NEWSLETTER #148

Welcome to the Elite Dangerous Newsletter, the place to find all the latest from the Elite Dangerous galaxy, refreshed for the brand new Guardians update.

There's been some incredible discoveries made by the community already in the new 1.7/2.2 update. We're delighted to see that you're enjoying it. This week, we'll be showcasing what you've found so far, what's new in store and what Ed and our developers have been up to over on the livestream.

As always, you can hear the latest news and updates directly from the development team on our Forums, Twitter, Facebook, Community Homepage, and right here in the newsletter every week, and we're always eager to hear your feedback.

Contents
    On the Horizon (Developer Focus)

Livestream Lowdown
    Store Spotlight
    Community Focus
    Galnet Focus
    Community Goals
    Comms Chatter

On the Horizon
    All the latest for Elite Dangerous: Horizons

NEW UPDATE OUT NOW

The Guardians update has arrived! There's a host of exciting new features that plenty of you are already getting stuck into.

There's plenty more to be discovered though, and we can't wait to see what you find.

EPIC NEW TRAILER

You may remember our 7 second teaser trailer for The Guardians update.

To celebrate the new update, we've now released the full trailer for you to enjoy.

There's lots for eagle eyed viewers to look out for, so let us know what you find.

Livestream Lowdown
    Catch up with videos from the community team

LAUNCH CELEBRATION

To celebrate the release of The Guardians, Ed was joined by a Sandy Sammarco, Adam Woods, Michael Brooks and David Braben to find out all about the latest additions to the Elite Galaxy.

Give the video a watch to get the latest.

TRADING PLACES

After last week's success, we thought we'd host another night of open play mayhem.

This week, Ed pitted Lead Designer Sandy Sammarco against Lead Game Programmer Mark Allen in a trading show down in the Eranin system. They each had to see how much of one particular good they can trade within the allocated hour. Who won? Watch the recap to find out.

STORE SPOTLIGHT
    The latest goods and the best deals from the Frontier Store

SWEET LOOKING SRVS

With so many new spectacles to discover planet side, chances are your SRV could do with a fresh lick of paint.

We've got you covered, with 3 all new SRV Paint Packs, choose from Vibrant, Tactical or Military colors to give your SRV that personal touch. 

BRAND NEW SHIP KITS

You've been asking for them, and now they're here. Customize your Vulture or ASP with their new ship kits. 

These kits come with a selection of pieces to make your ship truly unique.

Community Central
    The best from the community, all in one place

A HUGE DISCOVERY

Congratulations go to CMDR XDeath who used footage from the galaxy archived by the Earth-based company Frontier Developments, to ascertain the location of an ancient and mysterious structure.

XDeath matched up the stars in the video footage with a marking on a planet in the distance to lock down the location.

The scientific community, and Canonn were quick to log all of the Commanders findings and swarmed to the site in SYNUEFE XR-H D11-102.

We don’t have any exact details on their findings just yet, but we recommend you keep a close eye on these Commanders and their findings.

Galnet Focus
    All the news from across the Galaxy

META-ALLOY BREAKTHROUGH

Imperial forces have positioned themselves over Maia A 3 a, near to Professor Ishmael Palin who claims to have made a breakthrough in his meta-alloy research this week.

CONFLICT IN MAIA

The Ant Hill Mob have launched an assault on the Pleiades Resource Enterpise after they began muster a presence in Maia. Both factions have requested support from Imperial and Federal pilots respectively.

ALLIANCE APPEAL SUCCESSFUL

The Alliance have confirmed their appeal for construction materials has been successful. The Materials will be used to construct a new outpost on California Sector BA-A E6 4.

COLONIA EXPANSION

The Colonia Council's campaign to expand its facilities has entered a second week. Pilots who deliver mined palladium to Jaques Station in the Colonia System will be rewarded.

REMEMBERING WALDO

Gyvatices Crimson Advanced Holdings has announced that its appeal for fish and coffee was enthusiastically received. The commodities will be used in a special festival to honor the late entrepreneur Walter Waldo.

Community Goals
    The latest missions for you to take on

TROUBLE IN MAIA
    FEDERAL PILOTS
    Maia Point, Maia

Help the Federation take control of Maia by handing in Combat Bonds at Maia Point in the Maia system.

TROUBLE IN MAIA
    IMPERIAL PILOTS
    Obsidian Orbital, Maia

Help the Ant Hill Mob fight resist a Federal takeover of Maia by handing in Combat Bonds at Obsidian Orbital in the Maia system.

Comms Chatter
    A round up of this weeks community content

FUN WITH FIGHTERS

Flyovers? Nah... CMDR VirtualAnomaly does fly unders with his fellow Commanders

SMOOTH FLYING SKILLS

We think it's fair to say CMDR Zindae has mastered navigating through these tight spaces.

DON'T BUG ME

CMDR Stealth545 reckons they're ready for any potential Thargoid* threat.

*Pesticides not guaranteed to eradicate Thargoids.

See you in the black, Commanders

The Frontier Developments Team

If you no longer wish to receive emails from Frontier about Elite Dangerous, you can unsubscribe

Enjoyed this email? Why not forward to a friend

Frontier

Copyright © 2016 Frontier Developments plc. All rights reserved.

Frontier Developments plc, 306 Science Park, Milton Road, Cambridge, England,  CB4 0WG, UK

- Brett C / bc
    AKA: Forum Manager, Webmaster, Community Assistant/Manager, Social Media.
    Planet Coaster: Website - Forums - Twitter - Facebook - Instagram - Youtube - Reddit
    Elite Dangerous: Website - Forums - Twitter - Facebook - Instagram - Youtube - Reddit
    Frontier: Website - Jobs - News

Hooray for everything. \o/

Flimley

Perfectly working trailer. No working multiplayer.

Slow clap.

O7

thank you for the newsletter.

In keeping with my post in newsletter 147's thread: no news about beta 2.3 yet? Pah!

New layout looks nice, but I still have not received the newsletter.

Please do not send me friendship requests. I wouldn't know what to do with them. I never accept them.

New format means we now gotta find the newsletter on the forum?

I like the new layout! It's an improvement. Font is just bit small on my phone, but I can live with that.

And good job on the SRV skins. I look forward to hotrods and other patterns.

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    New format/layout for our weekly newsletter. Hope you like it!
    Yup, the new layout is a GREAT improvement. Mainly as there is a hell of a lot less waffling & words to wade through, so I might actually read it. And greatly reduces the need for an option to exclude sections that I'm not interested in.
    Number of obnoxious forum trolls currently Ignored: 4 (plus 2 others)

Customize your Vulture or ASP
    [Vader]Noooooo...[/Vader]

The new layout looks good!

As someone who often comments about the Newsletter, I must say I really love this new layout. Its much more punchy, more pictorial, more direct in tone, and without all the endless story stuff which players who like the stories can read in the game anyway. Telling stories about stuff may just give too much away, and put people off checking out community goals, because it was way too wordy. A simple 'Deliver Combat Bonds to X' is enough to peak my interest, or at least let me know whats going on. The newsletter now feels like the index page to a magazine, with the rest of the content inside the game itself, and this looks much more professional, probably takes less time, and its an easy template to use for the future, so I'd say in this case less is more.

I'd still like to see two more sections added:

1. David or Sandy or bring back Michael Brooks, just to give us some feedback and comments, for point out a question to answer, even its its "I saw this comment on the forum/reddit/youtube" or "we are looking at this element right now" or "Do you [audience] have a comment on... X", as many ED users dont use the forums, but still get read the email, so its the only direct way to talk to 'everybody' about anything. It could be a Thanks, or perhaps just a comment "I wonder what would happen to the gravity on a non spherical spinning world?" and just throw stuff out there.

2. Global player stats (not users online or players, as some may move to other games and come back to ED) but like Planets Discovered, Terraforming Worlds Discovered, Stars Yet to Discover, Number of Wars going on, etc

The latest newsletter format gets an 8.5 out of 10 from me, the last one gets about a 5 or a 4.

edit, and yes, I clicked "Give this video a watch" after clicking this, to see Davids comments, nice friendly English - I like it.

Great stuff, thanks Really pleased and excited with 2.2. One question though. I thought that Federal forces were located above Palin, not Imperial.

14. This is the last staff post in this thread. #14
    Originally Posted by zimms View Post (Source)
    [Vader]Noooooo...[/Vader]

The new layout looks good!
    *ponders the idea of bbcode for that...*
    - Brett C / bc
    AKA: Forum Manager, Webmaster, Community Assistant/Manager, Social Media.
    Planet Coaster: Website - Forums - Twitter - Facebook - Instagram - Youtube - Reddit
    Elite Dangerous: Website - Forums - Twitter - Facebook - Instagram - Youtube - Reddit
    Frontier: Website - Jobs - News

Excellent ! I received on my email in end of this afternoon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast