Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 97

Thread: I can see the orientation of other ships. Why not orientation of Orbitals?

  1. #61
    Originally Posted by Hark0n View Post (Source)
    CmdrChorusLindarr understands me. As for Bartzian, if you don't know what I could do with seeing the orientation of the orbital in SC you must have perfected the tricks to drop out lined perfectly up with the mail slot, kudos to you. :-)
    Ok, to be fair then: Again, the mail slot always points towards the center of mass of the object it is orbiting. Assign orbital lines to a hotkey, toggle them on during approach for a visual representation for the orbital plain of the station relative to the object it orbits, maneuver your ship with an arc in mind to place you between the station and "object"....you will be pointed at the mail slot every time...it might not be a perfect line, but the slot will be right there in front of you. Takes some practice, but it also takes a minute to read what people have offered as advice and not be so snippy...use this info if you want or continue to be miserable. Your move.

  2. #62
    Originally Posted by Bartizan View Post (Source)
    Ok, to be fair then: Again, the mail slot always points towards the center of mass of the object it is orbiting. Assign orbital lines to a hotkey, toggle them on during approach for a visual representation for the orbital plain of the station relative to the object it orbits, maneuver your ship with an arc in mind to place you between the station and "object"....you will be pointed at the mail slot every time...it might not be a perfect line, but the slot will be right there in front of you. Takes some practice, but it also takes a minute to read what people have offered as advice and not be so snippy...use this info if you want or continue to be miserable. Your move.
    Bartizan, actually the station points 45degs towards the North Pole of the body's centre of mass, where "north" is respect to the stellar and galactic plane (I.e. the upwards direction of the galaxy map).

    Whilst I agree with you that it's easy enough to do this in the existing game, there's a greater convenience to the player to see this information visually on your HUD in the actual game. And so if FDev can update this in a future update then they should, because it will help players to line up their approach more easily.

    That's after all the spirit of this thread, to suggest to the Devi that the requested update would be a nice, useful feature.

  3. #63
    For those of you who do not have beta access (or do and hadn't noticed), FD found a way to do this. The left hand HUD, stations now depict fairly accurately the orientation of the nav locked station. I've been able to drop from super cruise within a 10` approach cone all the time now. Nice job FD !

    Now, if we can get them to address all the large hulled craft getting grabbed by the station's docking maglocks 30m off the pad. The "new" stations are all correct. They don't engage until ~1m above the pad. Consistency folks. It's what makes it believable.

  4. #64
    Originally Posted by Hark0n View Post (Source)
    I am tired of not dropping out directly in front of Oribital's docking mail slot. Why can I see a targeted ship's orientation in super cruise but not a targeted orbiting station's orientation in relation to my own while approaching its orbit? Having this ability would save a lot of time and pain in a game that has enough time sinks as it is.

    Also, maybe unrelated but a pet peeve; it is weird that when I am 1Ls from station and get interdicted I am suddenly 50Ls from station when I escape the interdiction and have to fly those 49Ls over again? Also, how does my NPC enemy appear many Ls in front of me, ready to approach me from the front to interdict again after I ditch him escaping his interdiction? He should be left in my dust behind me... Does he have magic capabilities? Finally, why do I slow DOWN automatically when approaching a planet's gravity well? I should be speeding up and be able to use that additional speed to slingshot myself out, superDUPERcruise "ridiculous speed" fast toward planets far, far away...

    Otherwise, enjoying the game still...
    This is supposedly being fixed in 2.3 actually.

  5. #65
    Station orinantation in SC is one of my favourite QOL changes for 2.3. The final approach in SC feels much more purposeful since you have the opportunity to optimise your approach.

  6. #66
    "This is supposedly being fixed in 2.3 actually."

    Suppose I could have been more precise than generically "beta" but yes, that was what I was saying ... it is working in v2.3 beta3 and indeed a nice QoL addition.

    Now if we could just get them to add a navigation carrot for planet LAN/LON cords.

  7. #67
    One of the best new features in 2.3 in my opinion is the station's orientation displayed accurately while in SC.

  8. #68
    Originally Posted by Hark0n View Post (Source)
    I am tired of not dropping out directly in front of Oribital's docking mail slot. Why can I see a targeted ship's orientation in super cruise but not a targeted orbiting station's orientation in relation to my own while approaching its orbit? Having this ability would save a lot of time and pain in a game that has enough time sinks as it is.

    Also, maybe unrelated but a pet peeve; it is weird that when I am 1Ls from station and get interdicted I am suddenly 50Ls from station when I escape the interdiction and have to fly those 49Ls over again? Also, how does my NPC enemy appear many Ls in front of me, ready to approach me from the front to interdict again after I ditch him escaping his interdiction? He should be left in my dust behind me... Does he have magic capabilities? Finally, why do I slow DOWN automatically when approaching a planet's gravity well? I should be speeding up and be able to use that additional speed to slingshot myself out, superDUPERcruise "ridiculous speed" fast toward planets far, far away...

    Otherwise, enjoying the game still...
    You will be able to see this while in supercruise once 2.3 goes live. One of the many minor improvements they added.

  9. #69
    Originally Posted by Jaiotu View Post (Source)
    I think what the OP is saying is that we can't see the orientation while in supercruise. You can see the orientation of ships relative to you but the graphic for the station is static until you drop out of supercruise and into normal space.
    This is addressed in 2.3. This is exactly how it works in the Beta right now.

  10. #70
    One reason is their orientation never changes. It will always be pointing to the planet it orbits. Easiest way is to fly between the orbit of the station and the planet, then point to the station once you think you are close to the radial line from station to planet. You'll always wind up in front and able to see the slot. But a little pointer would be nice to get it dead on every time.

  11. #71
    Once the new beta goes live to the public we will be able to properly orient our ships with relation to the mail-slot before exiting Supercruise because the hologram of the station will now move and orient to match the actual target station in space. Personally, this is one of the improvements I like the most about the new patch.

  12. #72
    I thought I'd read this will be featured in 2.3.

  13. #73
    Fly in too fast,use the planets gravity to slow you down,turn to the station and you should drop out facing the entrance.

  14. #74
    Originally Posted by IndigoWyrd View Post (Source)
    I thought I'd read this will be featured in 2.3.
    True, it rotates in sc as it already does in real space. Really encourages OCD approachings.

  15. #75
    Originally Posted by Adhock View Post (Source)
    Orbis stations are easier since the mail slot is located in the can.
    Crikey thats a odd place to put it, I wouldn't want that having a Cobra up me butt whilst talking a number 2 .

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast