• 05 - Yaffle - Imperfect host

3 27.27%
  • 06 - phong - The valets tale

1 9.09%
  • 07 - Edith_The_Hutt - Sim-Guru 2.2

1 9.09%
  • 08 - Frank - Are We There Yet?

1 9.09%
  • 09 - Simoof - Warning - effects may include nausea, diarrhea and appendages falling off.

1 9.09%
  • 10 - Listeri69 - The Alpha Centurai insitute of Science, Syndromes and pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis Welcomes You....

5 45.45%
  • 11 - Galactic Midden - Chris, it's just another advent, you sure?

2 18.18%
  • 12 - AliJax - Hard just got Harder

1 9.09%
  • 13 - Alien - On Location With ...

1 9.09%
  • 14 - RoyalHankey - The Annual Competition

1 9.09%
  • 15 - FelixBast - Infection

4 36.36%
  • 16 - insanephoton - The Last Supper

1 9.09%
  • 17 - MINDWIPE - COLONIA LAMENT

3 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: I bid you a hearty welcome to the brain-damaging Story Contest, Drabble Contest #178: The Host & Injuries

I bid you a hearty welcome to the brain-damaging Story Contest, Drabble Contest #178: The Host & Injuries

Well we could bang on all night about who made what mistakes in the last drabble poll, but I think we're all better just putting all that behind us, try not to think about it, and just forge ahead with the future of the Drabble show. There's absolutely no point in dwelling over any minor slip-ups any one of us may or may not have made and seeing as the milk has been spilt, there's no use in using 20/20 hindsight to cry over it.

Right! I think I've cleared up that little point... Welcome to the Drabble show. Last week's winner was Simoof and Listeri69 he decided this week's topic would be "The Host" and "Injuries"

Psykokow hosts the Abraka-Drabble live reading show and "comedy" hour at 7pm GMT, Fridays on...
    HUTTON ORBITAL RADIO! http://streaming.radionomy.com/HuttonOrbitalRadio (audio only)
    LAVE RADIO! http://laveradio.com/ (audio only)
    TWITCH! http://www.twitch.tv/psykokow/ (audio & visual)
    and will also be uploaded to his You-tube channel & anywhere else he can inflict the world with our drabblings!

Come back on Sunday night to see how well your Drabble has done. At least come back before Monday 15:00 to check if you're the one that has to provide us with a topic.

Please vote. And a warning to all of the contestants, don't vote for yourselves. Anyone caught voting for themselves shall be infested with parasites and have their legs broken

01 - Entarius Fusion - The true cost of budget accomidation

Psykokow and Simoof began cuddling. It was getting very cold in the small hotel room they were staying in before the start of Fantasticon Elite meet.
    Psykokow protested that the blow-up Aisling-Duval doll was going to give them an injury if they both humped it so they chucked it back out of the bed. Simoof (the little spoon) shivered as he felt what he hoped was a flashlight stabbing him in the lower back.
    "This is going to be a long weekend", Simoof sighed to himself. "I could be at home burping and eating kitkats but instead I'm stuck here".

02 - Cleonymus - They will be here sooner than you think

In 3202, the Church of the Thargoid had changed it's constitution to allow the inclusion of non-sentinent species in it's ranks.
    One hundred years later and the church had changed beyond recognition, with humans forming the larger part of it's congregation.
    The ability to bring their pet Trumbles to services, had helped, although the rule was designed with the humans in mind.
    Priests spread the word around the bubble as judgement drew near.
    With the congregation convinced that a second coming would be a good and welcome thing, the Thargoid host was preparing to do as much damage as possible.

03 - Commander Sir Samuel Vimes - The perfect host

The massive venue was all sorted, the open bar had been paid for. To ensure everyone was entertained in addition to the band the band in each of the four main rooms there was also a climbing wall and zeroG cricket. Of course there were private rooms for the ladies of negotiable affection to work in.
    The most difficult part was ensuring that the supposedly random thugs knew who to maim when they arrived. After all as host it was his job to ensure the paying guests took home proper injuries to show the navy recruiters when they came calling

04 - psykokow - Don't give up your day job

The Beluga scraped through the docking port, leaving parts of its rear wing floating free.
    It landed with an almighty whump, and cracks as the already damaged hull took even more damage.
    As the cargo ramp opened pieces from the outer hull fell to the docking bay floor.
    The passenger and his entourage left extremely quickly, making a beeline for the medibay and the public toilets.
    Kowtours operator emerged to the docking floor clearly furious.
    A group of techs eyed his wreck hungrily.
    “What happened Kow?”
    “Bloody Passengers didn’t tip me”
    “Was it a big fare?”
    “No just 1 jump”

05 - Yaffle - Imperfect host

The taste was still there. Sarah had tried the Arcturian Mega Flavour Gum, and even a shot of Janx. Still that bitter tongue sticking taste persisted. It wasn’t as if she’d eaten anything bitter recently, there was that raw egg she’d tried in Zaonce, but that was days ago. She’d eaten a lot since. A heck of a lot. So much, but still hungry. Well, sort of hungry. More empty nausea, and a perpetual churning.
    Deep down inside her the worm twisted and resettled. Feeding well, it was content. Sarah was safe, a successful parasite won’t kill its host instantly.

06 - phong - The valets tale

'Exquisite' breathed Gladys,fingering the flanges obtruding from the curious object set upon the

workbench before her. Its beguiling surface seemed to twist and shimmer,inviting yet evading scrutiny,the

totality of form forever slipping from total comprehension.No matter the amount of pressure she

applied,the faint ripples left in the wake of her touch never varied,its texture slightly ridged yet

comfortingly warm.

'Did you have any problems with the ..acquisition?'

'No injuries, a few hangovers.'

A thargoid starter-motor is worth a planet sized fortune in the right circles,and some poor sucker would be

walking home tonight.

07 - Edith_The_Hutt - Sim-Guru 2.2

Prav Antal looked down on his body, broken in the attack. Utopia's press secretary had done a fine job on media blackout, his injuries were a closely guarded secret.

He shifted attention to the host in the preparation room, harvested from the flock and surgically altered to appear identical to the Sim-Guru's previous incarnation.

As Prav's lens re-focused the duty technician turned, facing the avatar screen

"Enlightened one, our work nears completion"

>HOW LONG?

"Three days, the existing ganglia need to integrate with the replacement cerebellum before we begin integration with your divine form"

Prav's cold digital avatar smiled serenely.

08 - Frank - Are We There Yet?

Susan Boils was at the front of the Pink Beluga facing the passengers. "Hello everyone. I'm your hostess on our trip to the Pilot's Federation Conference. I'm afraid we've had to vacate the docking bay for a moment to make way for emergency services. They didn't say what the emergency was, but I'm sure nobody will mind the delay if it saves lives."

Two ambulances dropped into existence near them and raced to the station with their lights flashing, followed by a military dropship that did the same.

And then there appeared the massive octagonal shape of a gigantic mothership.

09 - Simoof - Warning - effects may include nausea, diarrhea and appendages falling off.

It was impossible to prevent. Millions would die. Well thousands. Ok hundreds. Hmmm, well a few. Right. One person might get hurt. Possibly quite badly.
    They had always tried to stop it from happening. Communications in deep space could not support the volume of data needed.
    The original host, quarantined and safely dealt with posed no threat. But it had passed on the infection.
    With anticip...
    ation they sat and watched through static garbled screens.... there, it was happening again. it was horrible...
    Even knowing in advance of the new host, nobody was prepared for this. The drabble show persists.

10 - Listeri69 - The Alpha Centurai insitute of Science, Syndromes and pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis Welcomes You....

'The Alpha Centurai institute of science are all about being first'
    'we like Alpha's so much so we honour our research staff with the prefix Alpha'.
    'Take Alpha Kenny Bodie, he's working on alpha cure mods after his success with the Alpha Queue for cubicle three.'
    Not every Alpha cure works as intended, only last month our Alpha cure Kow led to an unforeseen side effect of turning yellow with brown spots.
    the injuries caused by the Alpha cure Simoof have led to the death of several Simoofs.
    We're worried Simoof Syndrome may have found a new host in Alien.

11 - Galactic Midden - Chris, it's just another advent, you sure?

Tiswas the night before crimbols, when all through the Thargon. Not a creature was stirring, not even Earth spawn.

The Tyrant, the leader, the feared Earth hater bleeder, grabbed its Second by the jerky and squeezed tight its necky. “Carolwheeze you fool, you almighty tool, I told you ‘to snatch’ not open cargo hatch. And with crushing grip the Seconds’ neck ripped.

“OK Third” find another bird, a tasty full morsel, a host for our sentinel. This time we dine on Earth blood and wine”.

“Ready the cage” yelled Third, “bring in the flan”.

“Yes”, clicked First, “a dastardly plan”

12 - AliJax - Hard just got Harder

HOST-AL-1-EN was an inhospitable system. The commanders injuries were sustained inside the SRV upon the surface of HOST-AL-1-EN 6A appeared to be a flesh wound, until the on board AI started to mutter "your bleeding".

It was about this time that Commander Psykokow felt faint - the sight of blood made the commander feel unstable "your vital signs are dropping !" the AI sounded more alarmed this time. Psykokow found some spare kleanex and jammed it into the gash, if I can drive 3km to my ship he thought, it was at this point that the blood short circuited the Drive Assist.

13 - Alien - On Location With ...

This just in, Our Roving reporter, Javindah Pizz is live at the only Sci-Fi event you want to not be at, Pantasi Com.
    He is interviewing the event organiser Gran Dubb.

"So Gran, can you tell us about who you have there?"
    "Why yes I can, we have the amazing Cmdr Hugh Mann and Senator Wagar who, I have it on good authority, is buying everyone breakfast!"
    "Wow, that is amazing! I heard that you even have a cow"
    "Ah, yes, him ... Psykokow is Ok, but apparently he brought with him a pig that farts. I have no idea why."

14 - RoyalHankey - The Annual Competition

Alien was host at Lave Stations annual drinkers party
    She did everything, got the beer and alcohol products.
    She even got the plastic knives for the drunken knife throwing competition.
    The whole thing was a success until the last competition.
    The Knife throwing Competition
    It was a very hectic time for the emergency services.
    Plenty of injuries, one or two deaths.
    The next day there was an inquest.
    Alien was first for the questioning.
    'What happened' the Admiral said.
    Alien said 'I don't know, I bought plastic knifes'.
    'The invoice said metal knives, was you drunk when you bought them'.

15 - FelixBast - Infection

When the AI was installed on the host ship it was immediately aware of the parasites. At first they were not a problem and the AI only monitored them.
    However, over the next few days and weeks they gradually revealed themselves to be a real threat to the ships safety.
    The navigational errors and the occasional hard landing could have been ignored, but one day the ship was badly damaged during a fuel scooping manoeuvre.
    When the ships safety was compromised the AI opened up the airlocks.
    The parasitical organisms that called themselves “the crew” were flushed out into space.

16 - insanephoton - The Last Supper

Quintillius was famed for hosting the best dinner parties in Imperial space. They were exclusive affairs and only people from the highest echelons of Imperial society were invited. Tonight's event was no exception with Senators Patreus and Torval on the guest list.

Only Quintillius knew that this would be his last soiree. His physician's diagnosis had been terminal. Injuries sustained in active service were finally taking their toll. Gathering a guest list of only the 'most deserving' people he would perform one last selfless act for the sake of the Empire.
    The bombe surprise would be to die for... literally.

17 - MINDWIPE - COLONIA LAMENT

The Colonia bubble, a testiment to exploration, a pioneers dream. not since the days of the Jameson clan has such an endevour been undertaken.

few cmdr's these days undertake the age old ideal of braving the unknown. but colonia... colonia

these days its a run and gun crap shoot. young cmdrs brave the stars, yet see them as a goal to go as far and fast as they can

But Colonia

Cmdrs far and wide ignoring the INJURIES of the core worlds with petty squabbles.

true to life true to form true to the spirit of ELITE

forever true explorers

17 drabbles, 6 voters (at least one of whom didn't enter a drabble). Am I missing a party, or something?

I always mull over my vote; pour myself a whisky, swish it in the tumbler so the honey fluid clings to the inside of the glass, take a gentle sip and ponder over the thoughts and machinations of each Drabble, then for some reason forget to vote.

Originally Posted by Darkoba View Post (Source)
    17 drabbles, 6 voters (at least one of whom didn't enter a drabble). Am I missing a party, or something?
    I blame the idiot who read them out on Friday night on Twitch, totally ruining them

Originally Posted by Frank View Post (Source)
    I always mull over my vote; pour myself a whisky, swish it in the tumbler so the honey fluid clings to the inside of the glass, take a gentle sip and ponder over the thoughts and machinations of each Drabble, then for some reason forget to vote.
    Must try that - maybe I'll forget to not remember to write a drabble???

On the other hand, could this be why your muse (allegedly) occasionally goes on holiday?

Bah gawd I won I guess it goes to show all my drabbles need are Alien to read them...

Well I guess I better pick the next topic.... So I thought something personal would be nice so here is...

Inappropriate Behaviour

Congratulations Listeri69

Originally Posted by Darkoba View Post (Source)
    Must try that - maybe I'll forget to not remember to write a drabble???
    i admire your logic,but i think you should stand it on its head,turn it inside out and try it back to front.

Well done Listeri69.And thanks for an epic reading Alien.