Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Proposal] Restore high-paying long-range cargo missions - but use Rares instead

Lightbulb [Proposal] Restore high-paying long-range cargo missions - but use Rares instead

The solution to the current 'missiongate' is simple, bring back high-paying long range missions - but instead of hauling scrap and biowaste (which makes zero sense and is destructive to other professions), the missions should be centered around rares & rare hub systems. That way these missions would;

• Make LR Smugglers/Traders happy again as they would be earning a couple of million per mission
    • Be viable piracy targets as the cargo would be valuable at the destination (therefore providing challenge to both sides)
    • Make logical sense (it makes sense to want to send rares a long way at a high cost)
    • Would resurrect the mostly dead rare hub network (they used to be glorious, LRS killed these hubs)

The way I see it working is every rare-hub should have a single system 300-400ly away that pays a premium rate for their rare goods (via missions only) - this system in question would also be a rare hub itself (or be close to one).

These missions would pay at least 2x the maximum value of the rare goods and require more cargo space for the rares than the usual rare allocation (20-40 tonnes). These safe-guards would prevent standard rare-trading being equally profitable. Stealing the rares and selling them yourself would be possible, but would get you a large bounty with the faction and destroy your rep with them - they wouldn't offer you these missions unless you are 'friendly' or 'allied'.

I would also suggest increase the distance price cap for rares to something like 400ly (I think it's currently around the 150ly mark) - this would make them a very attractive target for pirates as the destination price would be something like 40k-50k a tonne.

As the destination systems for these runs on this 'slik-road' would be well-known and static, they would be attractive places for pirates to target (or surrounding systems if security is too high). This provides not only a reliable income for pvp-pirates, but a decent challenge for the mission runners (more-so than NPC pirates which are insanely annoying) as the reward for them is very profitable, but unlike the previous version of LRS; would be risky and exciting for the mission-runner.

Also it would be a good idea for every out-of-the-bubble star cluster (Maia, New Yembo, Canopus) to have one rare commodity available for these mission types - Sothis already has Crystalline Gold for example.

The emergent-gameplay potential for this concept is promising.

Edit: Another reason this would work well, is if the trader bought some regular rare cargo alongside their mission cargo, they would be able to offer that to any pirates they encounter along the way. As rares are cheap at source, the trader would not lose too much money and still get to complete their missions (probably) and the pirate gets to make a few hundred thousand credits per heist. Everybody wins (...possibly anyway)

I like the idea as long as it doesn't become another get rich quick scheme. So Frontier needs to balance the payouts carefully but I do suppose the rare good allocation limit is a great way to stop excessive mission stacking.

Originally Posted by Comrade Error View Post (Source)
    I like the idea as long as it doesn't become another get rich quick scheme. So Frontier needs to balance the payouts carefully but I do suppose the rare good allocation limit is a great way to stop excessive mission stacking.
    Agreed, I think mission stacking is a problem FDev need to tackle across the board though. There should be a limit on how many missions of the same type you can do at once from the same location.

First impression is it is an excellent idea, then I consider how FDev would probably implement it, based on recent patches and nerfs.

Great idea with huge potential.

CMIV

I totally agree with this, apart from maybe the extra cargo space idea. Unfortunately the OP's idea sounds too logical and immersive to make it through FDev without some stupid RNG mechanism being added ;-)

Great idea! I would participate in that.

Originally Posted by Comrade Error View Post (Source)
    I like the idea as long as it doesn't become another get rich quick scheme.
    Only do it with Hutton Mugs. Problem solved
    Dem white knights nerfed muh mershn!

Love the idea. I would stack the snot out of some of those and run them quite happily.
    Skipper, should I pick the yellow bananas or the red bananas, because the yellow bananas are green?
    Golf.India.Lima.

Anaconda: FNCS-2706 'New Horizons'
    Fer-De-Lance: FNCS-2704 'Predator'
    Vulture : FNCS-2703 'Negative Ghost Rider'
    Asp Explorer - Han Shot First
    Cobra Mk. III- Eastbound & Down
    http://earthdefensefleet.net/

Love the idea. Miss the old rares hubs, and the emergent gameplay that came about as a result

I cut my teeth in this game running rares. I would love to see them come back with some end-game purpose.
    Skipper, should I pick the yellow bananas or the red bananas, because the yellow bananas are green?
    Golf.India.Lima.

Anaconda: FNCS-2706 'New Horizons'
    Fer-De-Lance: FNCS-2704 'Predator'
    Vulture : FNCS-2703 'Negative Ghost Rider'
    Asp Explorer - Han Shot First
    Cobra Mk. III- Eastbound & Down
    http://earthdefensefleet.net/

That is one fantastic idea! With this implemented FDev could solve several _problems_ we have. And, oh boy, I miss the rare trading days –AFAIR I've earned for my Asp doing these runs in Cobra. Fun times… And now, with Wings, (oh if only we could have shared wing missions) can you imagine the convoys? FDev, plz!

This is a great and creative idea. Thank you for suggesting it.

In response to the fanboys and sock-puppets asking for time and credit gates, mission stacking is an artifact of poor mission provisioning and rewards on the part of FD. Proposals like Lateralus' are one way to fix that, *if* they are not also nerfed from the get go by time and credit gates.

The rule of thumb for thinking about these issues is optimizing the well being of all pilots and all professions in elite -- combat, trade, exploration, missioning, new player, casual player, gamer, etc. So much of this dialogue has been black and white with no nuance. Time to move past that.

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post (Source)
    The solution to the current 'missiongate' is simple, bring back high-paying long range missions - but instead of hauling scrap and biowaste (which makes zero sense and is destructive to other professions), the missions should be centered around rares & rare hub systems. That way these missions would;

• Make LR Smugglers/Traders happy again as they would be earning a couple of million per mission
    • Be viable piracy targets as the cargo would be valuable at the destination (therefore providing challenge to both sides)
    • Make logical sense (it makes sense to want to send rares a long way at a high cost)
    • Would resurrect the mostly dead rare hub network (they used to be glorious, LRS killed these hubs)

The way I see it working is every rare-hub should have a single system 300-400ly away that pays a premium rate for their rare goods (via missions only) - this system in question would also be a rare hub itself (or be close to one).

These missions would pay at least 2x the maximum value of the rare goods and require more cargo space for the rares than the usual rare allocation (20-40 tonnes). These safe-guards would prevent standard rare-trading being equally profitable. Stealing the rares and selling them yourself would be possible, but would get you a large bounty with the faction and destroy your rep with them - they wouldn't offer you these missions unless you are 'friendly' or 'allied'.

I would also suggest increase the distance price cap for rares to something like 400ly (I think it's currently around the 150ly mark) - this would make them a very attractive target for pirates as the destination price would be something like 40k-50k a tonne.

As the destination systems for these runs on this 'slik-road' would be well-known and static, they would be attractive places for pirates to target (or surrounding systems if security is too high). This provides not only a reliable income for pvp-pirates, but a decent challenge for the mission runners (more-so than NPC pirates which are insanely annoying) as the reward for them is very profitable, but unlike the previous version of LRS; would be risky and exciting for the mission-runner.

Also it would be a good idea for every out-of-the-bubble star cluster (Maia, New Yembo, Canopus) to have one rare commodity available for these mission types - Sothis already has Crystalline Gold for example.

The emergent-gameplay potential for this concept is promising.

Edit: Another reason this would work well, is if the trader bought some regular rare cargo alongside their mission cargo, they would be able to offer that to any pirates they encounter along the way. As rares are cheap at source, the trader would not lose too much money and still get to complete their missions (probably) and the pirate gets to make a few hundred thousand credits per heist. Everybody wins (...possibly anyway)

Or you know they could just increase the rare distance modify by 1000% so its inline with other jobs/mission rewards.
    http://files.enjin.com/1115404/SignatureGenerator/CustomBanners/DeltaSquadBanner15b-StevieG-650x150.png

DELTA SQUADRON
    Discord Voice Comms: http://discord.gg/tAUJv8x
    Website - WWW.DELTASQUAD.CO.UK/RECRUITMENT

This is a very well considered idea. Hopefully it is something that fits easily into the architecture of the games programing. I made my first million trading rares and would love to get back to that game play if it were profitable again. +1

Originally Posted by StevieG View Post (Source)
    Or you know they could just increase the rare distance modify by 1000% so its inline with other jobs/mission rewards.
    The problem with this is that it's no good for pirates, as the goods can be sold anywhere. It would also result in balance issues for new players (it would be too easy to make multiple millions from the get-go).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast