Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.
Thread: I would gladly pay real money for Rank boosts

I'd be strongly against this kind of pa to win mechanic...

...But I'd still use it cos this grind hurts my soul, but I wouldn't pay more than say £3-5 per rank

i beat the imperial grind and will beat fed grind soon(post captain)
    what a battle

Originally Posted by Jukelo View Post (Source)
    How about no? Pay2progress is kind of a necessary evil in a lot of F2P games, but I certainly don't want any of it in a full-price game.
    I absolutely agree with you (and the others), but I don't think OP was 100% serious.

Originally Posted by scctldq123 View Post (Source)
    i beat the imperial grind and will beat fed grind soon(post captain)
    what a battle
    You mean battling the boredom? About 800 missions to go to get my cutter. It's enough to make you try mode switching.

5. This is the last staff post in this thread. #20
    Not going to be happening. Sorry.
    - Brett C / bc
    Forum & Community Manager

Originally Posted by Brett C View Post (Source)
    Excellent. Thanks Brett.
    AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz / 32 GB Ram / Titan X Pascal / ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z ROG / HTC Vive / Steam VR Rating: 20937
    Independent Trader - Curious Explorer - The least talented smuggler in the Galaxy.
    "Play the game. Don't game the play." - Any grind, is in your mind.
    CMDR Shadragon / CMDR Drain Bamaged / CMDR CuteLilBunny

Why you fishin' for rep, Brett?

How to navigate the Crab Nebula Labyrinth → https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...bula-Labyrinth
    How to change your HUD panel colors in Windows → https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ns-of-the-Game

Good to hear this.

However, threads like this one are the best indication for the fact that ranking is too tedious to be interesting. I'm not sure how many missions one needs today to reach Duke. Back in 2.0 it was several hundred (if not a full thousand!), and this number is way too high. You should be able to reach it in 100 missions, max.

At one point I decided I simply must have a Cutter and made it my mission to get the rep required to purchase one. Money was no problem, but the rank, on the other hand...about the time I got to Baron it suddenly occurred to me that I wasn't having any fun at all, and I started developing the strong suspicion that even if I stuck it out and actually got my hands on one, much of the allure would have been lost to me. The closest I've ever come to actually "grinding" in this game. So, I decided to just let the focus on that go and work at it piecemeal. I still don't have the Cutter, but I do have my sanity What I'd love to see re Cutters/Corvettes, are some mission trees that actually give you some content that you can sink your teeth into while also making rank progress. Right now, working towards a Cutter feels less interesting than farming neutron stars.
    Top Gun Spaceman by day...shameless rep ho by night

April Fools already?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally Posted by jasonbarron View Post (Source)
    At one point I decided I simply must have a Cutter and made it my mission to get the rep required to purchase one. Money was no problem, but the rank, on the other hand...about the time I got to Baron it suddenly occurred to me that I wasn't having any fun at all, and I started developing the strong suspicion that even if I stuck it out and actually got my hands on one, much of the allure would have been lost to me. The closest I've ever come to actually "grinding" in this game. So, I decided to just let the focus on that go and work at it piecemeal. I still don't have the Cutter, but I do have my sanity What I'd love to see re Cutters/Corvettes, are some mission trees that actually give you some content that you can sink your teeth into while also making rank progress. Right now, working towards a Cutter feels less interesting than farming neutron stars.
    Something does need to be done about this. There's earning and then there's unbearable grind. There's never any point where it's fun unless you can somehow magically pretend that rank doesn't exist and you don't really want that Cutter.
    Tribalistic Fanboyism is not good for the game, any game really. I Love Elite, but don't always love the implementation of the ideas nor the development philosophy.

Originally Posted by Dbrn47 View Post (Source)
    April Fools already?

- - - Updated - - -

Something does need to be done about this. There's earning and then there's unbearable grind. There's never any point where it's fun unless you can somehow magically pretend that rank doesn't exist and you don't really want that Cutter.
    I don't really want it. I agree with the points about having more compelling content and progression though in general.

How to navigate the Crab Nebula Labyrinth → https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...bula-Labyrinth
    How to change your HUD panel colors in Windows → https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...ns-of-the-Game

Originally Posted by Dbrn47 View Post (Source)
    April Fools already?

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. I'm certainly not complaining, just bringing up a couple things I think would make the work to acquire the "big" ships more interesting and fun. Also, I think it's worth noting that a player should know when enough is enough; I don't have my Cutter, but that's all right
    Top Gun Spaceman by day...shameless rep ho by night

Originally Posted by Kocrachon View Post (Source)
    If I could pay 200 dollars to end this rank grind for the imperials, I would. I'm at count. 200 hundred dollars to Duke would be well worth my sanity at this point.
    How about you play the game you already paid for?

Man I'm a 1 month noob and grinded to Duke with passenger/info missions. Now I am onto Fed ranks. Just play the game, it won't play by itself.

Yes the mission generator sucks and force you to relogs, that's bad. I also don't like that I'm forced to do something specific (and not what I'd like) in few specific systems because for some unforeseeable reasons contracts are way better paid there than in others system in which I'd like to play for RP reasons, I too had to put aside the idea to do things "for the fun of it" because fun is not paid and neither rewarded well. But try to move over these petty things, the grind for navy ranks is far less than what it seems.

I would gladly pay real money to have the ability to change my HUD Colours.

Flimley

Certainly it is possible to pay-to-win in Elite.

Frontier Development PLC ordinary shares are currently priced at about the £2.00 (GBP) mark. Buy enough of them and you can make Frontier do whatever you want...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast